Total Posts:18|Showing Posts:1-18
Jump to topic:

Christmas

inferno
Posts: 10,556
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 11:38:07 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

It means that they wil once again have the privilege to enjoy something that mostly Christians enjoy as well and with reason other than what they have been told.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 6:13:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

The reasons for christmas? Well the Christians wanted a midwinter holiday and decided to steal many traditions from the pagan holiday of yule and make their own holiday. Christmas to me is a time to be thankful for everything we have, appreciate family and friends, and to remember that the darkness of the winter is waining.
drafterman
Posts: 18,870
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/6/2011 8:59:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

What, today? $$$$
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 1:50:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

I actually agree with rogue on this one. Everybody knows that there is no evidence Jesus was born on December 25th, and that in fact a lot of pagan gods were born on that day. They basically just needed ways to convert Romans from Paganism to Christianity, so they mixed a lot of their holiday traditions as a way to make it easier for them to transition. There is evidence Jesus actually wasn't born anywhere near December, if I remember correctly.

Growing up in a Christian family, I'm glad I got to celebrate Christmas because the traditions are really fun. I'm a total sucker for Christmas. I love the festivities, sights, sounds, scents, etc. Christmas time in NYC is the best. I do enjoy the holiday season - the mood corporations try to set to get you to spend money, and the holiday goods, sales and specials at various places. I even like the cheesey movies and songs. Most of all, I love getting together and celebrating with my family. Even if the "original motives" behind Thanksgiving and Christmas are not exactly accurate or have bad connotations, doesn't mean the traditions that have stemmed from it are any less enjoyable.

...Buying presents is stressful though >.<
President of DDO
Mirza
Posts: 16,992
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 2:07:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As a Muslim I do not celebrate Christmas, but I love the times around it. It's cozy with the winter and snow, early nights, and just overall good ambiance. I especially love watching movies like Home Alone (1, 2) during this time.
tvellalott
Posts: 10,864
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 6:42:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

It means I get 3 weeks off work.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 6:44:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I love christmas :)
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
Ragnar_Rahl
Posts: 19,297
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:06:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
To celebrate Newton's birthday and presents... Reason and Productivity... their conquest over some leprous idol... That is the meaning of Christmas.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:50:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 6:13:20 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

The reasons for christmas? Well the Christians wanted a midwinter holiday and decided to steal many traditions from the pagan holiday of yule and make their own holiday. Christmas to me is a time to be thankful for everything we have, appreciate family and friends, and to remember that the darkness of the winter is waining.

So, for the rest of the year, you can forget about all those things? :)
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:50:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/7/2011 2:07:36 PM, Mirza wrote:
As a Muslim I do not celebrate Christmas, but I love the times around it. It's cozy with the winter and snow, early nights, and just overall good ambiance. I especially love watching movies like Home Alone (1, 2) during this time.

As a Muslim, what do you celebrate? I mean, what is worth celebrating?
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 7:28:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 6:13:20 PM, rogue wrote:
and to remember that the darkness of the winter is waining.

The darkness of winter is actually Waxing.. or if not Really waxing dark (which I would think it is).. it's at least getting colder.

All this talk of neutering christmas! Newton was a nut, and noone should say Christmas is about the end of winter!

Christmas is about Jolly old saint nick who squeezes down chimneys to make kids happy.
Good stuff.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 7:25:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/7/2011 10:50:08 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 12/6/2011 6:13:20 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

The reasons for christmas? Well the Christians wanted a midwinter holiday and decided to steal many traditions from the pagan holiday of yule and make their own holiday. Christmas to me is a time to be thankful for everything we have, appreciate family and friends, and to remember that the darkness of the winter is waining.

So, for the rest of the year, you can forget about all those things? :)

<.< really? Obviously not but it's a time that vocations have set aside to take a break from our busy lives. Because we are so busy, we find little time to sit down and properly appreciate those things. At Christmas you have the time to really sit down and think about these things.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 7:26:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/8/2011 7:28:26 AM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 12/6/2011 6:13:20 PM, rogue wrote:
and to remember that the darkness of the winter is waining.

The darkness of winter is actually Waxing.. or if not Really waxing dark (which I would think it is).. it's at least getting colder.

All this talk of neutering christmas! Newton was a nut, and noone should say Christmas is about the end of winter!

Christmas is about Jolly old saint nick who squeezes down chimneys to make kids happy.
Good stuff.

No, by the time Christmas comes around, it is getting lighter, but not warming.
Indophile
Posts: 1,414
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:32:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/8/2011 7:25:05 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/7/2011 10:50:08 PM, Indophile wrote:
At 12/6/2011 6:13:20 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

The reasons for christmas? Well the Christians wanted a midwinter holiday and decided to steal many traditions from the pagan holiday of yule and make their own holiday. Christmas to me is a time to be thankful for everything we have, appreciate family and friends, and to remember that the darkness of the winter is waining.

So, for the rest of the year, you can forget about all those things? :)

<.< really? Obviously not but it's a time that vocations have set aside to take a break from our busy lives. Because we are so busy, we find little time to sit down and properly appreciate those things. At Christmas you have the time to really sit down and think about these things.

Ha ha. Not really, really.

I just find it that there are so many things that one can appreciate, and most of them are totally out of your control and just happened to have happened wonderfully for you, that it's just too much.

But I get what you are saying, it's just that to allocate one day in the year for doing this sounds, well, funny.
You will say that I don't really know you
And it will be true.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 8:45:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Atheists celebrate christmas because it is a holiday for everyone. December started being a holiday season long before Christians. It started out with superstitious people believing that the spring would not come, so the king would be sacrificed to go fight the dark powers. As the kings wised up they would in turn make a peasant an king for a day, and then the peasant would be sacrificed. This started the process of giving to the lesser people, in a way. Eventually the whole sacrifice part would disappear. As time wore on the december 25th date would evolve into a day to celebrate the sun god sol invictus. It would be a popular holiday for gathers and much more. When Constantine converted to Christianity in the early to mid 300s he wanted it to be the only religion. He could not get people to stop celebrating so he decided that december 25th was Jesus birthday and that is what they were celebrating, its hard to get your way when you source is the military and they are against you on this one. This would start to be accepted and hence starting the Christian war for Christmas. The holiday remained a very celebratory one, too much for many christians. It eventually would be banned by Protestant christians, our own founders the pilgrims would kill people or at the very least punish people for even celebrating. Congress went more then 60 years without having christmas day off. Eventually Christmas would be revived as a day to celebrate in the 1800s. A day for anyone to celebrate and the christians who had admitted defeat in their war for Christmas would start all over again.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 11:16:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
an atheist who gets christmas more then most christians:
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/11/2011 12:42:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/6/2011 11:29:34 AM, leah12 wrote:
What do you Atheists think is the reason for Christmas? What does it mean to you?

What does May Day mean to you?