Jump to topic:

'God exists' debates

jm_notguilty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:33:58 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Obviously, there are probably more or less 100 debates relating to God's existence, different resolutions and different arguments. I've began to be interested in reading and learning some facts.

My first question, assuming someone wants to do another one of these spammy debates, what resolution is more desirable and preferable?

Second, which one of these tons of debates is your favorite or the one with the strongest arguments affirming and negating the existence of God?

Thanks.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 3:33:00 PM
At 12/7/2011 11:33:58 AM, jm_notguilty wrote:
Obviously, there are probably more or less 100 debates relating to God's existence, different resolutions and different arguments. I've began to be interested in reading and learning some facts.

My first question, assuming someone wants to do another one of these spammy debates, what resolution is more desirable and preferable?

Second, which one of these tons of debates is your favorite or the one with the strongest arguments affirming and negating the existence of God?

No one can prove as a physical fact, the existence of God. Best one can do is get to a reasonable inference. eg If you wake up and find snow all over the ground and on your house and as far as you can see, you can not prove it snowed, maybe guys in trucks hauled and dumped it while you were sleeping. Same with proving God exist. There will always be those recalcitrants who hold it was guys in trucks.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 4:27:40 PM
I like "It is reasonable to believe a personal God exists" with careful definitions of exactly what's reasonable and 'a personal God' is.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 5:44:42 PM
At 12/7/2011 4:27:40 PM, tvellalott wrote:
I like "It is reasonable to believe a personal God exists" with careful definitions of exactly what's reasonable and 'a personal God' is.

Does that mean we all get our own personal God? I read a biography of Reagan and liked it so much I think I"ll have him as my personal President.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 6:42:02 PM
At 12/7/2011 4:27:40 PM, tvellalott wrote:

I also like "The christian god more likely than not exists," or, "It is probable that the christian god exists.'
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:21:02 PM

I think more focus is better. It is a very big topic, and you don't want the debate branching out too much.

Good: "Irreducible complexity of the bacterial flagellum is a strong argument for the existence of an intelligent designer of life."

Bad: "God exists."
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 12:12:50 AM
At 12/7/2011 11:21:02 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:

I think more focus is better. It is a very big topic, and you don't want the debate branching out too much.

Good: "Irreducible complexity of the bacterial flagellum is a strong argument for the existence of an intelligent designer of life."

That is not a fair resolution. You can use that as an argument in the "God exists" debate, but that is too specific.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 4:56:06 AM
At 12/8/2011 12:12:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

That is not a fair resolution. You can use that as an argument in the "God exists" debate, but that is too specific.

God forbid we get specific, lets just be general and vague...
prephysics
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 5:31:38 PM

Thanks.

Which "God" are we talking about? Please define.
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 10:02:05 PM
At 12/8/2011 12:12:50 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

How is it not fair?
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 10:54:17 PM
I like specific. You can deal with specific in a three round debate. For a broad topic like, "God Exists," I prefer an unstructured one-on-one discussion thread.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 8:47:53 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with the "narrow topic" approach.

For example, the Argument from Evil is:
"If an omniscient, omnipotent, and good god existed, the world would have less suffering than it does."

The argument from Non-belief is, roughly:
"If belief were necessary for salvation, God would not leave atheists in doubt."

For narrow topics, it's best to search for the classic formulation of the resolution to avoid simple semantic errors.