Total Posts:32|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Why are Atheists Usually Liberal?

ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.
thett3
Posts: 14,356
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 7:44:18 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Conservatives tend to cling to the past and tradition. True or not, religion is an old idea. Atheism is not at all a traditional idea, so it makes sense that atheists would generally be liberal.

That's my thought anyway. There are, however, exceptions to this obviously (like Roylatham)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 7:48:23 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I guess that makes sense. But even on this website whenever I see someone who is a devout Christian we usually end up agreeing on 95% of issues while atheists disagree with me on 95% of issues. Its as if beliefs come together in a package.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 7:58:20 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
yes, and a lot of conservative arguments involve a bible or religion.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 8:01:51 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
I disagree with that. Many of the things going on in the US government today I disagree and I can argue my conservative point of view without the mention of God or religion.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 8:13:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
Being liberal comes from a fundamental repulsion of restrictions on freedom, and even more importantly, the passive tolerance of social injustice. It comes from the idea that perhaps tradition is not a good thing. Tradition is a 2-face word. It sounds beautiful on the outside, but it is the antithesis of generational progression, and it is the same force that continued such historical evils as racism, slavery, sexism and inhumanity. Let people depart from the idea that life operates in uniform and we need not question what we are told. Let people depart from the habit of simply believing things because you grew up with them. Let people tear down this secret evil we call tradition, and create a society where people have the total intellectual freedom to make sense of the world by their own accord.

Religion is the ultimate proponent of tradition, uniformity, conformity, and unquestionable obedience. Hence in the liberal mind, it will not fit in society.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 8:23:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
See RoyLatham.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 8:27:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 8:01:51 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I disagree with that. Many of the things going on in the US government today I disagree and I can argue my conservative point of view without the mention of God or religion.

Maybe for economic points, but what about the social ones? I also think there are a lot of atheist Libertarians, though there are some Christian Libs too.
President of DDO
Danielle
Posts: 21,330
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.
President of DDO
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 9:12:16 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.

Jesus was a cannabis farmer.
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 9:28:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 9:12:16 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.

Jesus was a cannabis farmer.

that was their culture back then. I may just make that debate, thank danielle
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 9:30:31 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
maybe I wont, i need to find sources
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
ApostateAbe
Posts: 236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:28:37 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.
I think the common denominators are (1) the level of intelligence and (2) anti-authoritarian personality. I will explain below.

(1) Both liberals and atheists have considerably higher levels of intelligence, however you may measure it, be it with IQ, education or wealth. Conservatism tends to encourage complex ideologies that are at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Religions are most strongly at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Liberalism is the alternative to conservatism. Therefore, atheism is correlated with liberalism.

(2) Both liberals and atheists tend to be anti-authoritarians. Conservatism is a combinations of the ideologies of patriotism, religion, tradition, and laissez-faire capitalism, and three of those four ideologies are appealing to authoritarian thinkers. The primary ideology of liberalism is egalitarianism, which is the converse of authoritarianism. Religion is all to do with authoritarianism. Atheism is all to do with the lack of religion. Therefore, atheism is expected to correlate strongly with liberalism.
ApostateAbe
Posts: 236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:37:42 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.
Let's also debate the question of which would make a better cardiologist: a sunset or a Shakespeare play?
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 10:57:50 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.

I think many libertarians are atheists. Especially the younger ones. While this might not be the exact brand of conservatism you had in mind, it still vehemently opposes big government in every form and supports free market economics.

I was actually just thinking about this the other day. It doesn't make sense to me at all. Atheism and freethought is all about questioning authority, not putting blind faith in the powers that be, not being a "sheep", and holding all opinions up to rational inquiry....

Yet suddenly, when it comes to matters of government, soooo many atheists immediately abandon all those ideas that they used to reject the truth/authority of religion.

Btw, I'm a libertarian atheist. I consider myself conservative in the sense that I adamantly support small government, like the one conceived by (most of) the Founding Fathers, laissez-faire capitalism and property rights.
jat93
Posts: 1,440
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:04:44 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.

Idk, problem is that there are so many conflicting portrayals of his character because, as atheists like you and me will recognize, the New Testament is a ragtag, shoddily thrown together compilation created by several different men who wrote about some dude over a hundred years after he lived.

It would certainly be a fun debate though. From what I know about him I think he sounds pretty fiscally liberal. Not that he favors big government necessarily but that he's very big on equality and sharing... Also he advises others not to care about their material possessions. All of that reminds me of John Lennon. Maybe he was Jesus incarnate.
ApostateAbe
Posts: 236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/7/2011 11:11:36 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 9:28:44 PM, 16kadams wrote:
At 12/7/2011 9:12:16 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.

Jesus was a cannabis farmer.

that was their culture back then. I may just make that debate, thank danielle

At 12/7/2011 9:30:31 PM, 16kadams wrote:
maybe I wont, i need to find sources
You will find at least one source if you dig through the literature deep enough. It may take longer than usual, since the closest Cannabis was apparently grown thousands of miles east of Jesus. I heard that Jesus and his disciples got high on shrooms, so maybe you can settle on that hypothesis if you want to save time.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 5:25:12 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 10:28:37 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.
I think the common denominators are (1) the level of intelligence and (2) anti-authoritarian personality. I will explain below.

(1) Both liberals and atheists have considerably higher levels of intelligence, however you may measure it, be it with IQ, education or wealth. Conservatism tends to encourage complex ideologies that are at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Religions are most strongly at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Liberalism is the alternative to conservatism. Therefore, atheism is correlated with liberalism.

(2) Both liberals and atheists tend to be anti-authoritarians. Conservatism is a combinations of the ideologies of patriotism, religion, tradition, and laissez-faire capitalism, and three of those four ideologies are appealing to authoritarian thinkers. The primary ideology of liberalism is egalitarianism, which is the converse of authoritarianism. Religion is all to do with authoritarianism. Atheism is all to do with the lack of religion. Therefore, atheism is expected to correlate strongly with liberalism.

IQ determined by meeting...good lord. Atheism is not about religion it is about "not god". If there is no God athiest fill the void with the religion of the USA. They have their saints, and their museums of relics, High Priest(ess) who determine dogma and they worship the almighty dollar. Don't be silly, there is no correlation much less causation between IQ and political affiliation. There may be a sociological geographic correlation though, the old yellow dog dems of the South are now GOP.

BTW anyone with an IQ higher than one's own may appear intelligent, when in fact they are just smarter than you.
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 8:07:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
Because on social issues the conservative issues is generally based on religion: anti-gay rights, anti-abortion, anti-drugs, pro-prayer in school, pro-teaching religion in science class, etc. Foreign policy isn't as religious based except support for Israel.

There isn't a logical reason to support those things, so most atheist disagree with all of those views. This automatically places them on the "liberal" side. I think if you polled atheist and religious, their foreign policy views would both be fairly diverse... but the social issues is what places atheist in the liberal camp.
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 8:20:10 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 9:12:16 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.

Jesus was a cannabis farmer.

sigged.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Joseph_Mengele
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:59:40 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.

A lot of the Nazi's were athiest including Adolf Hitler. Would you say that they are liberal?
Joseph_Mengele
Posts: 388
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 10:01:22 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 9:12:16 PM, SuperRobotWars wrote:
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.

Jesus was a cannabis farmer.

Haha that made me laugh. I'm not the first one to think this, but isn't Jesus (According to the events in the bible) a zombie?
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 10:40:21 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.

Liberals are radical
Atheists are radical?
Idk
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 8:33:29 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 8:27:39 PM, Danielle wrote:
A better question is whether or not Jesus would be Conservative or Liberal ;) That'd be a fun debate, methinks.

i'll debate you on it
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
JustCallMeTarzan
Posts: 1,922
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 8:55:30 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 7:48:23 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
I guess that makes sense. But even on this website whenever I see someone who is a devout Christian we usually end up agreeing on 95% of issues while atheists disagree with me on 95% of issues. Its as if beliefs come together in a package.

You and I have almost 60% agreement rate.

Atheists seem overwhelmingly liberal because a lot of the conservative/liberal focus is on social issues. Religion is a social issue, and so it "invades" a lot of the other issues like abortion, LGBT rights, etc...

Basically, this seeming correlation is a good reason why we need to use the four-sided political spectrum instead of the two.
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:34:11 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 7:44:18 PM, thett3 wrote:
Conservatives tend to cling to the past and tradition. True or not, religion is an old idea. Atheism is not at all a traditional idea, so it makes sense that atheists would generally be liberal.

That's my thought anyway. There are, however, exceptions to this obviously (like Roylatham)

Atheism has been around exactly as long religion, they were both born on the same day.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
sadolite
Posts: 8,838
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 9:40:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/7/2011 10:28:37 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.
I think the common denominators are (1) the level of intelligence and (2) anti-authoritarian personality. I will explain below.

(1) Both liberals and atheists have considerably higher levels of intelligence, however you may measure it, be it with IQ, education or wealth. Conservatism tends to encourage complex ideologies that are at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Religions are most strongly at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Liberalism is the alternative to conservatism. Therefore, atheism is correlated with liberalism.

(2) Both liberals and atheists tend to be anti-authoritarians. Conservatism is a combinations of the ideologies of patriotism, religion, tradition, and laissez-faire capitalism, and three of those four ideologies are appealing to authoritarian thinkers. The primary ideology of liberalism is egalitarianism, which is the converse of authoritarianism. Religion is all to do with authoritarianism. Atheism is all to do with the lack of religion. Therefore, atheism is expected to correlate strongly with liberalism.

"Both liberals and atheists have considerably higher levels of intelligence"

"Common sense," not so much. My "opinion" of course. Just like your "opinion" that liberals and atheist have higher levels of intelligence, Please.
It's not your views that divide us, it's what you think my views should be that divides us.

If you think I will give up my rights and forsake social etiquette to make you "FEEL" better you are sadly mistaken

If liberal democrats would just stop shooting people gun violence would drop by 90%
izbo10
Posts: 2,995
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 8:47:56 AM
Posted: 5 years ago
If you people would have bothered to try to learn from me, rather then kicking and scratching each step of the way, you would realize that a majority of liberal vs conservative battles are over what ought to be, in other words moral issue. How we ought to do things. Since our moral values are linked to how we view the true nature of reality and atheists have one view of the true nature of reality and christians generally have a completely different one, it only makes sense that these views generally differ. The question then is which is the true nature of reality.
DDO's marketing strategy has certainly paid off just not sure I agree with the target market: http://tinypic.com...
It's amazing to me that you still have yet to grasp the difference between believing something, not believing something, and having no belief at all -JCMT
To respect religion, is to disrespect the Truth!

If this board was a room and you all were the light bulbs, I'm bringing a flashlight.
ApostateAbe
Posts: 236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 5:37:38 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/8/2011 5:25:12 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 12/7/2011 10:28:37 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.
I think the common denominators are (1) the level of intelligence and (2) anti-authoritarian personality. I will explain below.

(1) Both liberals and atheists have considerably higher levels of intelligence, however you may measure it, be it with IQ, education or wealth. Conservatism tends to encourage complex ideologies that are at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Religions are most strongly at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Liberalism is the alternative to conservatism. Therefore, atheism is correlated with liberalism.

(2) Both liberals and atheists tend to be anti-authoritarians. Conservatism is a combinations of the ideologies of patriotism, religion, tradition, and laissez-faire capitalism, and three of those four ideologies are appealing to authoritarian thinkers. The primary ideology of liberalism is egalitarianism, which is the converse of authoritarianism. Religion is all to do with authoritarianism. Atheism is all to do with the lack of religion. Therefore, atheism is expected to correlate strongly with liberalism.

IQ determined by meeting...good lord. Atheism is not about religion it is about "not god". If there is no God athiest fill the void with the religion of the USA. They have their saints, and their museums of relics, High Priest(ess) who determine dogma and they worship the almighty dollar. Don't be silly, there is no correlation much less causation between IQ and political affiliation. There may be a sociological geographic correlation though, the old yellow dog dems of the South are now GOP.

BTW anyone with an IQ higher than one's own may appear intelligent, when in fact they are just smarter than you.

http://spq.sagepub.com...

Why Liberals and Atheists Are More Intelligent

Satoshi Kanazawa

Abstract

The origin of values and preferences is an unresolved theoretical question in behavioral and social sciences. The Savanna-IQ Interaction Hypothesis, derived from the Savanna Principle and a theory of the evolution of general intelligence, suggests that more intelligent individuals may be more likely to acquire and espouse evolutionarily novel values and preferences (such as liberalism and atheism and, for men, sexual exclusivity) than less intelligent individuals, but that general intelligence may have no effect on the acquisition and espousal of evolutionarily familiar values (for children, marriage, family, and friends). The analyses of the National Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Health (Study 1) and the General Social Surveys (Study 2) show that adolescent and adult intelligence significantly increases adult liberalism, atheism, and men's (but not women's) value on sexual exclusivity.
ApostateAbe
Posts: 236
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 5:40:57 PM
Posted: 5 years ago
At 12/8/2011 9:40:38 PM, sadolite wrote:
At 12/7/2011 10:28:37 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 12/7/2011 7:40:21 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
In my experience, the atheists I have met are overwhelmingly liberal. I just don't understand why. Liberalism and atheism seem to go hand in hand.
I think the common denominators are (1) the level of intelligence and (2) anti-authoritarian personality. I will explain below.

(1) Both liberals and atheists have considerably higher levels of intelligence, however you may measure it, be it with IQ, education or wealth. Conservatism tends to encourage complex ideologies that are at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Religions are most strongly at odds with the best explanations of intelligent thinkers. Liberalism is the alternative to conservatism. Therefore, atheism is correlated with liberalism.

(2) Both liberals and atheists tend to be anti-authoritarians. Conservatism is a combinations of the ideologies of patriotism, religion, tradition, and laissez-faire capitalism, and three of those four ideologies are appealing to authoritarian thinkers. The primary ideology of liberalism is egalitarianism, which is the converse of authoritarianism. Religion is all to do with authoritarianism. Atheism is all to do with the lack of religion. Therefore, atheism is expected to correlate strongly with liberalism.

"Both liberals and atheists have considerably higher levels of intelligence"

"Common sense," not so much. My "opinion" of course. Just like your "opinion" that liberals and atheist have higher levels of intelligence, Please.
It doesn't have to be your opinion versus my opinion. There are many ways to measure intelligence. Choose any objective measure of intelligence, then see where atheists rank on it. It is not a phenomenon that is easily brushed under the rug and ignored.