Jump to topic:

Has the concept of hell been distorted?

phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 4:26:25 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What if the idea of hell has just been incredibly distorted? What if it's not an infinitely terrible place of eternal flame and suffering, just a bad place? It's quite possible seeing as earlier 'Christians' loved to distort scripture and make up beliefs to greater increase their power. Scaring citizens with the thought of eternal ghastly suffering would certainly make those such as popes and bishops more powerful. I don't think the the Bible gives a very clear definition of hell just like it does not describe heaven very much. The only clear example of someone in hell, I think, was the parable Jesus told (I can't remember the names), about the man and his servant who both died and the man went to hell and saw his servant in heaven. He was extremely thirsty and asked that he might have one drop of water. This doesn't sound like excruciating pain too me. The Bible does describe fire in hell, but not eternal burning from the fire.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 4:35:11 PM
At 12/8/2011 4:26:25 PM, phantom wrote:
What if the idea of hell has just been incredibly distorted? What if it's not an infinitely terrible place of eternal flame and suffering, just a bad place? It's quite possible seeing as earlier 'Christians' loved to distort scripture and make up beliefs to greater increase their power. Scaring citizens with the thought of eternal ghastly suffering would certainly make those such as popes and bishops more powerful. I don't think the the Bible gives a very clear definition of hell just like it does not describe heaven very much. The only clear example of someone in hell, I think, was the parable Jesus told (I can't remember the names), about the man and his servant who both died and the man went to hell and saw his servant in heaven. He was extremely thirsty and asked that he might have one drop of water. This doesn't sound like excruciating pain too me. The Bible does describe fire in hell, but not eternal burning from the fire.

Wow...first, where did you idea that early Christians liked to distort? They wrote the NT. So the answer is yes, but not for any of the reasons you cite. It is one of those unbeknown, and no one in, for a certitude, known to be in hell. Angels come from the Persian Captivity, the underworld is Greek mythology and astronomy, a place of fire dated to the middle ages. so all considered, we got no clue what it is exactly. It is probably the opposite of heaven, just outside Love.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 4:43:10 PM
It's a good point. I think that many Christian sects don't acknowledge a fire-and-brimstone hell - probably because there isn't much in the Bible about hell. I wonder if this could be said of the Koran. Another interesting thing to point out is that hell is not mentioned in the OT (nor an afterlife) which is why Judaism seems to have a rather different disposition to these things.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 5:48:07 PM
At 12/8/2011 4:35:11 PM, logicrules wrote:

Wow...first, where did you idea that early Christians liked to distort?

Do you deny the dark ages?
Catholics, pergutory, indulgences, etc...
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/8/2011 6:17:11 PM
At 12/8/2011 5:48:07 PM, phantom wrote:
At 12/8/2011 4:35:11 PM, logicrules wrote:

Wow...first, where did you idea that early Christians liked to distort?

Do you deny the dark ages?
Catholics, pergutory, indulgences, etc...

I think he's talking about the earliest Christians aka the recent Jewish converts.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!