Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Homework for Christians (but mostly Inferno)

Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 1:49:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1 - Why is it that secular and skeptic works has produced the largest supply of information and 'truths' in the world? Refer your works to that of Socrates, Einstein, Francis Bacon, Hegel, and Christian science's empirical testing in comparison to secular or atheistic scientific method, and the difference between the two.

(They are not all atheists, but just reading about what they said is important)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 9:42:25 AM
At 12/9/2011 1:49:16 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
1 - Why is it that secular and skeptic works has produced the largest supply of information and 'truths' in the world? Refer your works to that of Socrates, Einstein, Francis Bacon, Hegel, and Christian science's empirical testing in comparison to secular or atheistic scientific method, and the difference between the two.

I am not sure I understand this post.

Are you saying that most scientific works are secular? Technically, would this not depend on how you define secular?

Most scientists until the last century were Christian.

Scientific bodies of work would be defined as "natural" not secular. Theology is the study of the "supernatural".

Is that was you are referring to?
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 1:24:13 PM
My point is if you look at something through a tinted glass, you'll only ever see the green. When we look at scholars who try to 'learn' more, and scholars who have advanced the world, and see how religion was ignored, or even attacked, in order to pursue intelligence, which created either long lasting philosophical theories which stand today, and has effected drastically the world, or practical results changing everything about their field, or even creating it.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/9/2011 10:11:52 PM
At 12/9/2011 1:24:13 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
My point is if you look at something through a tinted glass, you'll only ever see the green.

Does this not equally apply to your own viewpoint?

When we look at scholars who try to 'learn' more, and scholars who have advanced the world, and see how religion was ignored, or even attacked, in order to pursue intelligence, which created either long lasting philosophical theories which stand today, and has effected drastically the world, or practical results changing everything about their field, or even creating it.

I can only think of one accusation against one historical scientist.

Every other scientist was pretty well received despite their radical ideas. I mean someone of the scientific nut jobs were ousted by the accord of their theories, not by virtue of the Churches influence.

Starting Back with Democritas' first idea of the Atom in ancient Greece. His idea to our minds, was a logical conclusion but offered no proof so was promptly ignored. The idea of the basic four elements be intrinsic won out as Plato and Aristotle ridiculed him.

New theories have always met with ridicule. Take string theory to the recent time, it is patently absurd based on all what we understand currently and every demonstrable test continues to point to the opposite.

Yet these scientists call it a theory when by definition it is a mere hypothesis.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 8:22:07 AM

These truths are not conclusive, and are more selective in theory more than anything else. They have no influence whatsover, or the ability to thwart out peoples beliefs in God or deities in general. Of course there is only one God, and most Americans in a modern day world, still hold on to this with a firm hand.
You would be better off trying to explain that one to me. But please spare me the agony about the argument of delusion. Clearly you are another one who has underestimated the human mind.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 11:54:17 AM
At 12/15/2011 8:22:07 AM, inferno wrote:

These truths are not conclusive, and are more selective in theory more than anything else. They have no influence whatsover, or the ability to thwart out peoples beliefs in God or deities in general. Of course there is only one God, and most Americans in a modern day world, still hold on to this with a firm hand.
You would be better off trying to explain that one to me. But please spare me the agony about the argument of delusion. Clearly you are another one who has underestimated the human mind.

Why a lot of people believe something? Look up any works by Freud, or Jung.

But the point is not that: These people still believed in God, yet were skeptic of many things.

Also, when you import a lot of extreme Christians and criminals to America, you do get, four hundred later, strong Christians everywhere. (and criminals)

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 12:05:12 PM
At 12/15/2011 11:54:17 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

But the point is not that: These people still believed in God, yet were skeptic of many things.

Also, when you import a lot of extreme Christians and criminals to America, you do get, four hundred later, strong Christians everywhere. (and criminals)

They believe in God for reasons that is beyond your comprehension and logic.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 2:07:13 PM
At 12/15/2011 12:05:12 PM, inferno wrote:

That logic justifies any belief in anything. If it's a valid argument, then no belief can be attacked.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 3:06:09 PM
At 12/15/2011 2:07:13 PM, RoyLatham wrote:

That logic justifies any belief in anything. If it's a valid argument, then no belief can be attacked.

That was a practixcal response. But I think we all know the truth here about this issue. Perhaps you are another who thinks that humanity is so easily fooled for whatever reason. I doubt that you understand the complexity of people's spiritual connection with things unseen.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 8:29:16 AM
At 12/15/2011 11:54:17 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:

are you suggesting that logic is not reasonable, but that blind faith is?
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...