Total Posts:28|Showing Posts:1-28
Jump to topic:

Do Atheists Hate Christmas ?

inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 10:00:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

But it is quite accepted by Christians overall. Forget about Santa Claus as this has nothing to do with how we view this Holiday. That is a secular thing, a character created only to try and personify or redefine what we have already made the standard. The influence factor wins once again, and that is only a myth to nearly all. God is very real indeed so it stands even today.
Johnicle
Posts: 888
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 9:56:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Some do... most don't... but ultimately everyone feels different about it.

Categorizing atheists under one banner is just as inappropriate as categorizing religious people under one banner... or even christian people under one banner.
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 10:01:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

Christmas is entirely based on Christianity. Ignoring Christ is the equation, Sinteklaas was really a Christian saint who would go to the homes of poor families and leave money for a dowry for the daughters. St. Nicholas, etc. So, people do ignore the Christianity in Christmas, but the reality of it is that Christianity is Christmas entirely; we just neglect it.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 11:18:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ.

I do?

Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed.

How so?

However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good.

What was bad?

And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise.

What proof?

What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

I certainly don't. I love xmas. I have no problem celebrating the birth of Jesus. He was a great man. I just think we need to recognize other holidays too.
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/13/2011 11:23:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 10:01:08 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

Christmas is entirely based on Christianity. Ignoring Christ is the equation, Sinteklaas was really a Christian saint who would go to the homes of poor families and leave money for a dowry for the daughters. St. Nicholas, etc. So, people do ignore the Christianity in Christmas, but the reality of it is that Christianity is Christmas entirely; we just neglect it.

Um no. Many of the traditions come from pagan holidays and the tradition of having a midwinter holiday. Such as putting up the tree, decorating it, the mistletoe, etc.
SuperRobotWars
Posts: 3,906
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 6:31:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 11:23:27 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/13/2011 10:01:08 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

Christmas is entirely based on Christianity. Ignoring Christ is the equation, Sinteklaas was really a Christian saint who would go to the homes of poor families and leave money for a dowry for the daughters. St. Nicholas, etc. So, people do ignore the Christianity in Christmas, but the reality of it is that Christianity is Christmas entirely; we just neglect it.

Um no. Many of the traditions come from pagan holidays and the tradition of having a midwinter holiday. Such as putting up the tree, decorating it, the mistletoe, etc.

Gay orgies and the like.
http://www.watchcartoononline.com...
Minister Of Trolling
: At 12/6/2011 2:21:41 PM, badger wrote:
: ugly people should beat beautiful people ugly. simple! you'd be killing two birds with the one stone... women like violent men and you're making yourself more attractive, relatively. i met a blonde dude who was prettier than me not so long ago. he's not so pretty now! ha!
:
: ...and well, he wasn't really prettier than me. he just had nice hair.
Buckethead31594
Posts: 363
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 6:56:30 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

Couldn't say it any better. In our American Society, Christ is just an accessory of Christmas. However, it truly is a beautiful holiday, because everyone can celebrate it and be thankful. It's the day that enemies become friends, while anyone of a differing worldview can still be happy.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 7:39:44 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Yes inferno. That's it. All atheists are just bitter people who reject god. You have caught us. congrats.
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 8:02:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I took a poll on an atheist site a few years ago. Web sites tend to attract people with outspoken viewpoints, no matter what the subject. About five out of six atheists on that site who volunteered an opinion enjoyed and celebrated Christmas.

Christmas is quite popular in Japan and Taiwan, even though there are less than 2% Christian. The "logic" of having bright lights around the shortest day of the year is irresistible. In Japan, Christmas is considered something of a romantic holiday, when young couples go out to dinner and such. Many families eat Kentucky Fried chicken, reserved as much as a month ahead. I don't know how that started, but I suspect it is not an ancient tradition. Holidays cannot be controlled; people make of them what they wish.

In the Far East, the serious religious holiday is New Years. Temple bells are rung 108 times marking the 108 worldly desires that are the cause of human suffering. Better than our tradition of getting drunk and wrecking cars.
Calvincambridge
Posts: 1,141
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 8:45:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 11:23:27 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/13/2011 10:01:08 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

Christmas is entirely based on Christianity. Ignoring Christ is the equation, Sinteklaas was really a Christian saint who would go to the homes of poor families and leave money for a dowry for the daughters. St. Nicholas, etc. So, people do ignore the Christianity in Christmas, but the reality of it is that Christianity is Christmas entirely; we just neglect it.

Um no. Many of the traditions come from pagan holidays and the tradition of having a midwinter holiday. Such as putting up the tree, decorating it, the mistletoe, etc.

The mistletoe gets you laid so if I had to get rid of all the pagan traditions but one I would keep the mistletoe.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 9:01:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 11:23:27 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/13/2011 10:01:08 PM, WriterSelbe wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

Christmas is entirely based on Christianity. Ignoring Christ is the equation, Sinteklaas was really a Christian saint who would go to the homes of poor families and leave money for a dowry for the daughters. St. Nicholas, etc. So, people do ignore the Christianity in Christmas, but the reality of it is that Christianity is Christmas entirely; we just neglect it.

Um no. Many of the traditions come from pagan holidays and the tradition of having a midwinter holiday. Such as putting up the tree, decorating it, the mistletoe, etc.

The Christmas tree originated in Germany as a worship for Christ around Christmas, not by worshipers of pagan gods.

The modern Christmas tree . . . originated in western Germany. The main prop of a popular medieval play about Adam and Eve was a fir tree hung with apples (paradise tree) representing the Garden of Eden. The Germans set up a paradise tree in their homes on December 24, the religious feast day of Adam and Eve. They hung wafers on it (symbolizing the host, the Christian sign of redemption); in a later tradition, the wafers were replaced by cookies of various shapes. Candles, too, were often added as the symbol of Christ. In the same room, during the Christmas season, was the Christmas pyramid, a triangular construction of wood, with shelves to hold Christmas figurines, decorated with evergreens, candles, and a star. By the 16th century, the Christmas pyramid and paradise tree had merged, becoming the Christmas tree.

Legends attribute the invention of the Christmas tree instead to Saint Boniface (c. 680 - 755), the Apostle of the Germans, and to Martin Luther.

While there is only 'controversy' over the origin of the tree being pagan, there is fact and history around the Christian origins.

Although you are correct in saying the origins of mistletoe around Christmas are pagan.

The decoration of the Christmas tree is also attributed to Christian Germans:

Several cities in the United States with German connections lay claim to that country's first Christmas tree: Windsor Locks, Connecticut, claims that a Hessian soldier put up a Christmas tree in 1777 while imprisoned at the Noden-Reed House, while the "First Christmas Tree in America" is also claimed by Easton, Pennsylvania, where German settlers purportedly erected a Christmas tree in 1816 and In his diary, Matthew Zahm of Lancaster, Pennsylvania, recorded the use of a Christmas tree in 1821, leading Lancaster to also lay claim to the first Christmas tree in America. Other accounts credit Charles Follen, a German immigrant to Boston, for being the first to introduce to America the custom of decorating a Christmas tree. August Imgard, a German immigrant living in Wooster, Ohio, is the first to popularise the practice of decorating a tree with candy canes. In 1847, Imgard cut a blue spruce tree from a woods outside town, had the Wooster village tinsmith construct a star, and placed the tree in his house, decorating it with paper ornaments and candy canes. The National Confectioners' Association officially recognises Imgard as the first ever to put candy canes on a Christmas tree; the canes were all-white, with no red stripes. Imgard is buried in the Wooster Cemetery, and every year, a large pine tree above his grave is lit with Christmas lights. German immigrant Charles Minnegerode accepted a position as a professor of humanities at the College of William and Mary in Williamsburg in 1842, where he taught Latin and Greek. Entering into the social life of the Virginia Tidewater, Minnigerode introduced the German custom of decorating an evergreen tree at Christmas at the home of law professor St. George Tucker, thereby becoming another of many influences that prompted Americans to adopt the practice at about that time.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 9:26:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As someone who might be considered to be an atheist, I can say that I hate Christmas music.

It doesn't help that all the niggas be playing that sh1t for what seems like years before Christmas itself.
That said, as an evil capitalist bastard, I love Christmas.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
WriterSelbe
Posts: 410
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/14/2011 9:29:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/14/2011 9:26:12 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
As someone who might be considered to be an atheist, I can say that I hate Christmas music.

It doesn't help that all the niggas be playing that sh1t for what seems like years before Christmas itself.
That said, as an evil capitalist bastard, I love Christmas.

Bweh heh heh... Well, first comment outside the game sect that wasn't by me in like 20 minutes. I gotta find something to work with, huh?
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/15/2011 8:15:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 11:18:53 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ.

I do?

Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed.

How so?

However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good.

What was bad?

And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise.

What proof?

What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

I certainly don't. I love xmas. I have no problem celebrating the birth of Jesus. He was a great man. I just think we need to recognize other holidays too.

That is not the way to spell Christmas my dear Rogue. Since when did you start spelling words that begin with a "C", with the letter X. Yes, that is my point. smooch *
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 8:30:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/15/2011 8:15:14 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/13/2011 11:18:53 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ.

I do?

Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed.

How so?

However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good.

What was bad?

And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise.

What proof?

What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

I certainly don't. I love xmas. I have no problem celebrating the birth of Jesus. He was a great man. I just think we need to recognize other holidays too.

That is not the way to spell Christmas my dear Rogue. Since when did you start spelling words that begin with a "C", with the letter X. Yes, that is my point. smooch *
I don't know why Xians are always trippin' over Xmas...
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
rogue
Posts: 2,325
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 12:21:26 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/15/2011 8:15:14 AM, inferno wrote:
At 12/13/2011 11:18:53 PM, rogue wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ.

I do?

Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed.

How so?

However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good.

What was bad?

And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise.

What proof?

What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

I certainly don't. I love xmas. I have no problem celebrating the birth of Jesus. He was a great man. I just think we need to recognize other holidays too.

That is not the way to spell Christmas my dear Rogue. Since when did you start spelling words that begin with a "C", with the letter X. Yes, that is my point. smooch *

So am I not allowed to use any abbreviations anymore?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 12:37:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am going with Shelden on this, Merry Saturnalia

Fusing pagan crap with Jesus, sure why not.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Andromeda_Z
Posts: 4,151
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:57:39 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Religion has so little to do with it in many cases that it may as well be a secular holiday. From my own limited experience, it's celebrated more out of tradition than anything else. We bake cookies, give and receive presents, spend time with extended family, it's basically just a big party. Sure, some of the people leave early or arrive late in order to go to church, and a short prayer is said before the food is eaten, but that's about as religious as it gets and I'm fine with that anyway. It doesn't bother me at all if there is a religious element to the holiday, I just use it as an opportunity to have some fun.

That said, if I have to listen to another Christmas song I'm going to cut my ears off. My boss has been playing them for weeks. >.<
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:45:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/14/2011 6:56:30 AM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:51:28 AM, vbaculum wrote:
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

Atheists enjoy Christmas just as much as anyone else. We don't pretend that Christianity has anything to do with it. Christmas is about being with your family, eating good food, singing songs, giving and receiving gifts and getting boozed up. The irony that atheist get to celebrate is that Christianity only ever plays a perfunctory roll in Chirstmas. Jesus is politly told to be quiet somewhere else and let Santa take the spot light. We all know how much real Chistianity would ruin Christmas.

Couldn't say it any better.
Thanks
In our American Society, Christ is just an accessory of Christmas. However, it truly is a beautiful holiday, because everyone can celebrate it and be thankful. It's the day that enemies become friends, while anyone of a differing worldview can still be happy.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far ;)
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Lordknukle
Posts: 12,788
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:53:07 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm "kind of" an atheist (agnostic) but I recognize that christmas spreads happiness and positive virtues all throughout societies.
"Easy is the descent to Avernus, for the door to the Underworld lies upon both day and night. But to retrace your steps and return to the breezes above- that's the task, that's the toil."
lotus_flower
Posts: 454
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 7:40:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/13/2011 9:20:16 AM, inferno wrote:
I ask this because you seem to have this chip on your shoulder about the celebration of Christ. Needless to say that the origin of this holiday may be quite non religious indeed. However, because of the Catholic Church we are able to turn what was meant for bad into something good. And throughout history the Protestants have spread the word about the birth of Baby Jesus which came from the Jews and their scriptures in the Torah. So yes, we know that Jesus was sent from Heaven to redeem mankind. And He walked the Earth as the stories have told us so. The proof is there in Israel for all to see, so please do not waste my time trying to prove otherwise. What do you think ? Do the Atheist community have a problem with Christmas ? I dont know for sure, you tell me.

If I did have a chip on my shoulder, it would be a Pringles sour cream and onion, I'll tell you that much. AND, I would have eaten it long ago. (:
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
*******************************************************
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 10:16:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/17/2011 2:57:39 AM, Andromeda_Z wrote:
Religion has so little to do with it in many cases that it may as well be a secular holiday. From my own limited experience, it's celebrated more out of tradition than anything else. We bake cookies, give and receive presents, spend time with extended family, it's basically just a big party. Sure, some of the people leave early or arrive late in order to go to church, and a short prayer is said before the food is eaten, but that's about as religious as it gets and I'm fine with that anyway. It doesn't bother me at all if there is a religious element to the holiday, I just use it as an opportunity to have some fun.

That said, if I have to listen to another Christmas song I'm going to cut my ears off. My boss has been playing them for weeks. >.<

I agree 100% with you Andy. Thanks.
inferno
Posts: 10,689
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 10:18:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Christmas became religious to some because of the Constantine and Catholic Church influence during the Dark Ages. People wanted to feel enlightened by a divine source. Of course, God does exist, so humans wanted to interact with that Power.
I dont blame them because anything less would be uncivilized.
1dustpelt
Posts: 1,970
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
5/20/2012 7:38:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Some do, some don't.
Wall of LOL
"Infanticide is justified as long as the infants are below two" ~ RoyalPaladin
"Promoting female superiority is the only way to establish equality." ~ RoyalPaladin
"Jury trials should be banned. They're nothing more than opportunities for racists to destroy lives." ~ RoyalPaladin after the Zimmerman Trial.