Jump to topic:

Are You Smarter Than an Atheist? - A Quiz

wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 10:24:07 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right.
How will you do on the quiz?

Link to the Quiz in the Christian Science Monitor:
http://www.csmonitor.com...
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:07:13 AM

94%
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:17:44 AM
At 12/16/2011 11:07:13 AM, lotus_flower wrote:

94%

I got 26-32 and some of the simple ones I knew I over thought. Like moses lead the exodus, duh. Also where Jesus was born, duh. I don't know what I was thinking, babe in Bethlehem, duh.

Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:43:45 AM
At 12/16/2011 10:24:07 AM, wiploc wrote:
Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups in a 32-question survey of religious knowledge by the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life. On average, Americans got 16 of the 32 questions correct. Atheists and agnostics got an average of 20.9 correct answers. Jews (20.5) and Mormons (20.3). Protestants got 16 correct answers on average, while Catholics got 14.7 questions right.
How will you do on the quiz?

Link to the Quiz in the Christian Science Monitor:

Here is the raw data:
http://pewforum.org...

I would like to point out that the statistical variation between all of these groups is only a 12% difference. That is merely 4 questions.

http://pewforum.org...

Given that Pew recognizes the error percentage of +/- 8% for Agnostics/Athiests and say for White evangelicals being +/- 5... you can tell the divergence is not as great as it is made out by your post.
A 13% error ratio in each group means that the next pole will see upwards of 13% point swings by data set.
Second they appeared not to use education level as a control until the oversampling of the minority groups as stated on their site.

Additionally Athiests were too few to seperate from the Agnostics.
"Atheists and agnostics are treated as a single group throughout this report. The survey sample included too few interviews with atheists to analyze them separately."

Agnostics who are searching for answers are going to know more about other religions than any person "sold" on a particular religion.

Jews in America will naturally know more about modern Christianity and Christians will know more about ancient Judaism. Where as the opposite will be True. Christians interact with modern Judaism infrequently.

To compound that the methodology does not seem to account for the racial distinction of a Jew vs. the religious. There are 1.7% racial Jews

Concerning the questions:
Some of the questions are like the author of Moby Dick as a general knowledge question. A poor question at best. It would only be a person with a college level Literature education that would know this offhand.

Concerning the religious questions:
Only 1/3 of americans answered the "striving for Nirvana" correctly as buddhism. But to be fair to all americans, that is just a trick question. Buddhism is hinduism and if you were not paying close attention to the question you would respond hinduism.

A proper question would be "who is Siddhartha Guatma the founder of, Buddhism or Hinduism."

I would design a very different poll.
lotus_flower
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:52:43 AM
Gileandos, what did YOU make?
"Human decency is not derived from religion. It precedes it."
- Christopher Hitchens, God Is Not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
http://www.bbc.co.uk...
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 11:59:58 AM
You hoping I would fail? lol.

Everyone on this website should score higher than average, but certainly the trick questions like "striving for Nirvana" would get those people who were not paying attention.

I am only interested in the quality of the research not the questions. It is not a comparison.
A hindu living in America will have more knowledge than the average Christian living in America of both Hinduism and Christianity combined due the prevelance of Christian literature and movies on t.v. etc, while being immersed in his own religion.

Why would such a person not score higher? Every expectation would be. Noone would run around claiming Hindu's in America have more religious knowledge by default.

The question would theologians score higher than other theologians. That would be far more interesting.
brian_eggleston
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 12:11:07 PM
These were questions most educated people, religious or not, might be expected to know the answers to.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I don't know anything about world religions, Greek mythology, etc.

However, it would be interesting to see the results of a quiz on science that was posed to both atheists and people of faith.
Visit the burglars' bulletin board: http://www.break-in-news.com...
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 12:52:51 PM
At 12/16/2011 12:11:07 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
These were questions most educated people, religious or not, might be expected to know the answers to.

Just because I'm an atheist doesn't mean I don't know anything about world religions, Greek mythology, etc.

Agreed, and that goes for the education level of any person. Education was not a control in the study until after the oversampling of the minorties.

However, it would be interesting to see the results of a quiz on science that was posed to both atheists and people of faith.

This would also be impractical.
Think of the controls you would need.

Are you going to test a Chemist vs a Chemist?
or are you going to test one athiest anthropologist against a christian anthropologist about chemistry? That would merely depend on how chem heavy their BA was....

Then are you not just testing the schools cirriculum or the teachers ability to impart information?

How would you structure the poll to be scientific and accurate? Would you do something like 8th grade earth science? Would such accuracy not met out as a judgement against grade school's cirriculum, the teachers ability to teach....

I would scoff at any non-scientific poll even if it favored Christians or theists.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:21:50 PM
lol, this is embarrassing. A substantial amount of Christians didn't even know that The Bible says Jesus was born in Bethlehem. Are people who don't even know basic Christian beliefs saved in your opinion, Gileandos? I doubt most US Christians even know what the purpose of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was supposed to be.
Oryus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:39:37 PM
At 12/16/2011 12:11:07 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:

I read once that the majority of people don't understand the scientific method.. I'm trying to figure out where I found that stat but having trouble...
It's annoying to remember facts and not where they came from. I might as well have forgotten the fact itself. -_-
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:51:42 PM
I only missed one question - the one about the Great Flood Awakening or whatever.

But I don't see the point of this test. Are we proving something by saying that religious fanatics know nothing of other religions? Why should they?

I fail to see what point this test tries to make.
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:51:43 PM
Number 7 is a misconception, agnosticism is a belief that it CANNOT be known, not unsure... unless we start using common usage... and I want to revert to the old meaning.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:53:56 PM
At 12/16/2011 1:51:43 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Number 7 is a misconception, agnosticism is a belief that it CANNOT be known, not unsure... unless we start using common usage... and I want to revert to the old meaning.
Yes, let's revert all words to their old meanings. We should start by calling idiots those who don't vote in a democratic society.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:55:18 PM
Also, question 11 depends on who you're asking, most catholics I know (about 5 of them) all believe in consubstantiation. Some of these questions are irritating...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 1:59:29 PM
At 12/16/2011 1:21:50 PM, Kinesis wrote:
lol, this is embarrassing. A substantial amount of Christians didn't even know that The Bible says Jesus was born in Bethlehem. Are people who don't even know basic Christian beliefs saved in your opinion, Gileandos? I doubt most US Christians even know what the purpose of Jesus' sacrifice on the cross was supposed to be.

lol, church attendance is 45% of the 85% that claim to be Christian.

I doubt the veracity and scientific nature of this poll. I said as much above, when it is clear the methodology left quite a bit to be desired.

If I can just call up and ask you if you are a Christian, with zero verification/control mechanism, and then ask you random questions..... should I expect a scientific result?

It is the difference between accuracy and precision in scientific experimentation. Precision is not accuracy. You can get measurements or results within a sphere of precision but be entirely off the mark.

The poll results are reflected within a level of precision but not accuracy. Even within the level of precision there was a stated 13% variation from the precision mark.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

There is zero guarentee of the accuracy of the polling to reflect what any of the groups genuinely knew to be true.

- The fact that you are laughing at this shows you might want to avoid the science poll, as suggested by brian eggleston, for the side of athiesm. The basic fundamental of accuracy and precision was displayed here.

As to salvation -

All people will be saved from Hell unless they choose Hell. They can choose Hell by rejecting God or the moral conscience inside of each of themselves given by God.

A saved person does not go to Heaven but to the intermediate state. You can bypass this state and go straight to heaven through a process of obedient Holiness like Moses and Elijah.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:00:22 PM
At 12/16/2011 1:55:18 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Also, question 11 depends on who you're asking, most catholics I know (about 5 of them) all believe in consubstantiation. Some of these questions are irritating...

I was raised Catholic. If they believe that, then it's simply not Catholic.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:02:32 PM
@Gileandos

One problem I see is that the difficulty of this test was not high at all. I am a High School Junior and only missed ONE QUESTION. I bet a "science test" of the same degree of difficulty would not trip up atheists/agnostics in the slightest. Seriously, this is not a hard test.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:34:11 PM
At 12/16/2011 2:02:32 PM, M.Torres wrote:
@Gileandos

One problem I see is that the difficulty of this test was not high at all. I am a High School Junior and only missed ONE QUESTION. I bet a "science test" of the same degree of difficulty would not trip up atheists/agnostics in the slightest. Seriously, this is not a hard test.

That is my point, there was no control based upon education, age or belief system.

Agnostics will naturally know more about the topical overview of different religions.

As will, for example, Hindus will know more about Christianity as they are immersed in a Christian culture as well as practicing their distinct religions.

To compound that some of the questions were foolish.
Like the author of Moby Dick will not be known by the vast majority without a literary degree. The exception is the possibility of an older person who just will have more knowledge than a younger person.

These metrics were not controlled.
So they may have precision (which I doubt) but clearly without these controls of education, age (naturally more time to learn factual data), and specific belief system, they will have no accuracy.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:39:31 PM
@Gileandos

I would also add, as I posted earlier, the margin of error is very high on the Agnostic/Athiestic groups of +/- 8 % and +/- 5 % for protestant Christians totalling a potential 13%.

This is a huge margin of error when considering the difference in answers was only 4 questions between the groups. That is only 12%.

This means that the different groups are all within the margin of error. In statistics this means that they are all basically a dead heat.

We should expect the opposite as a Jew should know both Judaic and Christian cultural icons yet appeared to respond poorly?

I do not buy it.
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:39:35 PM
At 12/16/2011 2:34:11 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@Gileandos

That is my point, there was no control based upon education, age or belief system.

Agnostics will naturally know more about the topical overview of different religions.

As will, for example, Hindus will know more about Christianity as they are immersed in a Christian culture as well as practicing their distinct religions.

Like the author of Moby Dick will not be known by the vast majority without a literary degree. The exception is the possibility of an older person who just will have more knowledge than a younger person.

So they may have precision (which I doubt) but clearly without these controls of education, age (naturally more time to learn factual data), and specific belief system, they will have no accuracy.

... but I just showed that with only 17 years IN TOTAL I can out-demonstrate a majority of religious people.

In your example, you say only Literary majors would know the author of Moby Dick (Herman Melville, btw) but I don't have a literary major. You then extend this an example... of what? That only religious majors would score well? I AM NOT A RELIGIOUS MAJOR. I haven't even gotten out of high school. So that's no excuse.

But then the only other thing that could be said is that religious people simply have no use to explore other religions, or if they are presented information, to not remember it. Why? Obviously the ones who DO know or have learned about other religions REJECT those same religions.

I know correlation is not causation, but there's still correlation. This begs further prodding.

M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:40:29 PM
At 12/16/2011 2:39:31 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@Gileandos

I would also add, as I posted earlier, the margin of error is very high on the Agnostic/Athiestic groups of +/- 8 % and +/- 5 % for protestant Christians totalling a potential 13%.

This is a huge margin of error when considering the difference in answers was only 4 questions between the groups. That is only 12%.

This means that the different groups are all within the margin of error. In statistics this means that they are all basically a dead heat.

We should expect the opposite as a Jew should know both Judaic and Christian cultural icons yet appeared to respond poorly?

I do not buy it.

Wow. That phrase (knowing your strong religious affiliation) made me burst out loud.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:53:17 PM
At 12/16/2011 2:39:35 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 12/16/2011 2:34:11 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@Gileandos

... but I just showed that with only 17 years IN TOTAL I can out-demonstrate a majority of religious people.

In your example, you say only Literary majors would know the author of Moby Dick (Herman Melville, btw) but I don't have a literary major. You then extend this an example... of what? That only religious majors would score well? I AM NOT A RELIGIOUS MAJOR. I haven't even gotten out of high school. So that's no excuse.

But then the only other thing that could be said is that religious people simply have no use to explore other religions, or if they are presented information, to not remember it. Why? Obviously the ones who DO know or have learned about other religions REJECT those same religions.

I know correlation is not causation, but there's still correlation. This begs further prodding.

You seem to be reiterating my point. Really All americans that are agnostic polled could only get 20 of the questions?
Really, christians did not know Jesus was born in Bethlehem? Please, I cannot find one Christian who does NOT know where Jesus was born and they happened to find a plethora?

That seems absurd to me. Despite the trick questions.

On the other point -
The fact that you are 17 and knew the author of Moby Dick indicates what?
What school do you go to?
Did your teacher point this book out?
Did this book happen to be on your reading list?
(here is another control) do you find you have an above average memory?
Has your memory ever been quized?
Do Americans have above average memories? Do certain groups?
Did you read Moby Dick?
Did you watch the recent movie that came out with Jean Luc Picard in it?

Would you expect other teenagers to know that answer?

I could go on and on developing control questions that would be needed.

Needless to say no one should expect the author of Moby Dick to be known by the general population. It was a horrible book to begin with.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 2:58:41 PM
At 12/16/2011 2:40:29 PM, M.Torres wrote:
At 12/16/2011 2:39:31 PM, Gileandos wrote:
@Gileandos

I do not buy it.

Wow. That phrase (knowing your strong religious affiliation) made me burst out loud.

I am also a scientist. Considering you are neither and merely 17 with limited life experiences what should I take away from that?

I already stated the reasons that it was clearly not a scientific poll and completely denies the reality of the people I know around me.

You have not addressed the science I pointed out.
Do you know what controls are in a test?

Do you realize that none of those controls existed?
Do you realize the poll itself from Pew recognizes that it was only a 4 question difference in accuracy? That the difference in performance count was under the margin of error? That means there is no statistical difference from group to group?

Do you find it absurd that you 17 could answer all but 1? Yet the general population could only manage 20 at most on the average?

Bolderdash.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 3:08:15 PM
The test was based on studies with rats involving reinforcement. The questions are poorly worded, the answers they want are not always the correct answer. In fact, the questions seemed designed to perpetuate ignorance. I guess a bunch of self proclaimed religious will take it and then claim to be smarter than the non religious. eg Joseph Smith wasn't a moron he was LDS, and He wasn't Christian according to the First edition of the Book of Mormon. Very silly exercise in fundamentalist nonsense really.
Wandile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 3:08:50 PM
Well I'm Christian and got 28/32 :)
"Possibly deluded.... no way to confirm the veracity. That is an extraordinary claim to suggest billions the world over and throughout history are deluded. Proof?
Also if you actually believe these Billions of historical Christians are deluded, what gives you a warrant to special plead you are not equally self deluded within your own views? Sounds like self contradictory belief system you are under." - Gileandos

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice - Proverb
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 3:30:58 PM
@Torres,
I have found the first people that would identify themselves as Christian rather than any of the formal choices and have gotten the answer wrong to the city of Jesus' birth.

They have not attended church in 30+ years. They have not read a Bible in as long. They have not even watched the Moses movie!

Now basically at this point Jesus is Bethlehem 6 right answers and wrong answer 0.

(These are my parents who raised me agnostic) my father responds Jerusalem.
My mother responds as, "geez that was along time ago, I agree with your father, somewhere around Jerusalem."

There was a long pause on the other end of the line.
I go wow, here is a key, I found the people they polled!
I politely pointed out it was not Jerusalem but Bethlehem.

There was a long pause on the other end of the line and my father (in a derisive tone) states, "Bethlehem is a suburb of Jerusalem."
I pause then myself assert," Yes, well today its a suburb but, well 2,000 years ago it was nearly two hours away from the center city by donkey and considered a seperate city."

My dad calmly replies "Moron" and hangs up on me.

We can see clearly there is more to such a simple question than the apparent simplicity.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 4:55:07 PM
You answered 19 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 59%.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 4:58:30 PM
At 12/16/2011 4:55:07 PM, MasterKage wrote:

You are probably the first honest person to post.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 4:59:38 PM
At 12/16/2011 4:58:30 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 12/16/2011 4:55:07 PM, MasterKage wrote:

You are probably the first honest person to post.

I would also point out you are 14 and I would expect that ratio from a 14 year old.
Ragnar_Rahl
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/16/2011 5:05:45 PM
You answered 31 of 32 questions correctly for a total score of 97%

Didn't know whether it was Elijah or Abraham who did the whole child sacrifice thing.
It came to be at its height. It was commanded to command. It was a capital before its first stone was laid. It was a monument to the spirit of man.