Jump to topic:

Theological Knowledge

logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:02:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
No one would consider themselves a physician with just high school biology. No one would hire a lawyer who took civics in high school only. Why do those with NO theological or religious studies consider themselves expert on Scripture and theology?
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:26:45 AM
At 12/17/2011 7:02:32 AM, logicrules wrote:
No one would consider themselves a physician with just high school biology. No one would hire a lawyer who took civics in high school only. Why do those with NO theological or religious studies consider themselves expert on Scripture and theology?
Those people would be idiots, but don't get the wrong idea. You don't need a PhD in epidemiology to make an intelligent and informed judgment that measles vaccinations do not cause autism, nor does making such judgments entail the presumption of being an expert.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 7:58:49 AM
At 12/17/2011 7:26:45 AM, ApostateAbe wrote:
Those people would be idiots, but don't get the wrong idea. You don't need a PhD in epidemiology to make an intelligent and informed judgment that measles vaccinations do not cause autism, nor does making such judgments entail the presumption of being an expert.

Perhaps, but one does need an education to offer an educated opinion. As to vaccinations, I can not prove this but my guess is "my momma told me" may trump even some PhD knowledge, see people who think going out w/o a hat caused them to get a cold.
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 8:37:17 AM
At 12/17/2011 7:58:49 AM, logicrules wrote:

Perhaps, but one does need an education to offer an educated opinion. As to vaccinations, I can not prove this but my guess is "my momma told me" may trump even some PhD knowledge, see people who think going out w/o a hat caused them to get a cold.
Whatever the case, I think the relevant points would be the arguments, not the authorities of those offering the opinions.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:15:19 AM

Do you actually think that? Have you not heard of self-taught people? What about people who have grown up in a religion?
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:17:46 AM
At 12/17/2011 9:15:19 AM, tyler90az wrote:

Do you actually think that? Have you not heard of self-taught people? What about people who have grown up in a religion?

The key to understanding scripture is having a relationship with god, so god can help you understand it.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:24:16 AM
At 12/17/2011 9:17:46 AM, bigbob91 wrote:

The key to understanding scripture is having a relationship with god, so god can help you understand it.

That is true, a faithful person learns nothing by themselves, only through the spirit.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:28:24 AM
At 12/17/2011 9:24:16 AM, tyler90az wrote:

That is true, a faithful person learns nothing by themselves, only through the spirit.

This is why atheists can not understand what the bible is talking about and seem to want to take it out of god's context.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:52:08 AM
I was practically educated by the bible, and spent a good portion of my life studying everything I could in and about it.

To blunt, I believe I am the most biblically educated on ddo. This is why you'll see me defending both sides. My understanding of the bible is radically different, because I understand that a lot of its teaching methods are indirect. I also grasp the concept of a metaphor, and understand the symbolism rampant in the bible. Couple that with fountains of historical context and studies in the original languages.

To be blunt, the atheists here have as deep of an understanding of Christianity as Geo has of Buddhism. The Christian understanding around here is comparable to a child's understanding of the kama sutra.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:54:22 AM
At 12/17/2011 9:52:08 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I was practically educated by the bible, and spent a good portion of my life studying everything I could in and about it.

To blunt, I believe I am the most biblically educated on ddo. This is why you'll see me defending both sides. My understanding of the bible is radically different, because I understand that a lot of its teaching methods are indirect. I also grasp the concept of a metaphor, and understand the symbolism rampant in the bible. Couple that with fountains of historical context and studies in the original languages.

To be blunt, the atheists here have as deep of an understanding of Christianity as Geo has of Buddhism. The Christian understanding around here is comparable to a child's understanding of the kama sutra.

An atheist can not understand the bible until they accept that they must be with god to understand it.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 9:59:10 AM

Your next step should be to study The Book of Mormon. So many parallels with the Bible. It is also a good read on top of that and an amazing spiritual experience.
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 10:04:40 AM
At 12/17/2011 9:59:10 AM, tyler90az wrote:

Your next step should be to study The Book of Mormon. So many parallels with the Bible. It is also a good read on top of that and an amazing spiritual experience.

I can only hope god guides you right, if you follow false books you will not end up in heaven.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 11:00:32 AM
Honestly, I'm burnt out on studying religion. I found what I was looking for, and much more.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Wandile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 11:43:23 AM

Logicrules Is this directed against me because of my previous forum topic? If it is then please don't get me wrong...I'm not claiming to be some kind of expert on the issue but I am informed.
"Possibly deluded.... no way to confirm the veracity. That is an extraordinary claim to suggest billions the world over and throughout history are deluded. Proof?
Also if you actually believe these Billions of historical Christians are deluded, what gives you a warrant to special plead you are not equally self deluded within your own views? Sounds like self contradictory belief system you are under." - Gileandos

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice - Proverb
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 11:53:24 AM
At 12/17/2011 11:00:32 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Honestly, I'm burnt out on studying religion. I found what I was looking for, and much more.

Word
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:49:59 PM
At 12/17/2011 8:37:17 AM, ApostateAbe wrote:
At 12/17/2011 7:58:49 AM, logicrules wrote:

Whatever the case, I think the relevant points would be the arguments, not the authorities of those offering the opinions.

YOu would think wrongly, as even Satan quotes scripture, though she may be a better authority than a teenager.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:51:21 PM

LOL that explains alot. To respond, yes, but only one worth a damn, Licoln, an even he had to read the Law under tutelage. Yes, I mean it.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:52:02 PM

So God is less important than your Doctor, interesting.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:53:26 PM

LOL sillieness of the first order. So in short, you were not educated, and offer an opinion.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:54:59 PM
At 12/17/2011 9:59:10 AM, tyler90az wrote:

LOL the book of Mormon has been proven to be garbage. At best it is the ramblings of an illiterate taken from what he heard about scripture, at worst, part of the con of a convicted felon.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 2:55:58 PM
At 12/17/2011 11:43:23 AM, Wandile wrote:

Logicrules Is this directed against me because of my previous forum topic? If it is then please don't get me wrong...I'm not claiming to be some kind of expert on the issue but I am informed.

Directed at no one in particular.
Wandile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/17/2011 3:15:58 PM
At 12/17/2011 2:55:58 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 12/17/2011 11:43:23 AM, Wandile wrote:

Directed at no one in particular.

That's good to hear.
"Possibly deluded.... no way to confirm the veracity. That is an extraordinary claim to suggest billions the world over and throughout history are deluded. Proof?
Also if you actually believe these Billions of historical Christians are deluded, what gives you a warrant to special plead you are not equally self deluded within your own views? Sounds like self contradictory belief system you are under." - Gileandos

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice - Proverb
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 4:05:12 AM

LOL No doubt you believe yourself the most educated, but you also know you are not. I doubt you have even a basic understanding of the development of the scripture, much less the theological development of Judaism. Metaphor is an extremely small aspect of scripture, in fact not at all part of the OT. Do you mean genre?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:19:09 AM
Historical context, and yes, reading a little between the lines is important. If you claim that there are no metaphors in the Old Testament, you either haven't read it very thoroughly, or you don't know what a metaphor is.

Many Christians have been raised on the milk of the word, and have yet to get into deeper things.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:22:51 AM
At 12/18/2011 9:19:09 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Historical context, and yes, reading a little between the lines is important. If you claim that there are no metaphors in the Old Testament, you either haven't read it very thoroughly, or you don't know what a metaphor is.

Many Christians have been raised on the milk of the word, and have yet to get into deeper things.

Really? Do we know who wrote any of the books in the OT or the gospels?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:37:08 AM
Off the top of my head, maybe the gospel of Luke. Pretty much everything in the Old Testament has been questioned, even books said to have been written by Moses or Solomon.

These are things that can easily be researched, but understanding is more important than trivia. This is why I compare the atheists understanding of scripture to typically be on par with Geo's understanding of Buddhism. It is more academic in nature than spiritual.
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:40:09 AM
At 12/18/2011 9:37:08 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Off the top of my head, maybe the gospel of Luke. Pretty much everything in the Old Testament has been questioned, even books said to have been written by Moses or Solomon.

These are things that can easily be researched, but understanding is more important than trivia. This is why I compare the atheists understanding of scripture to typically be on par with Geo's understanding of Buddhism. It is more academic in nature than spiritual.

You are trying to take the human author and not the real author God into account. It is sad how you atheist think you know everything.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:51:29 AM
God is the author of everything, and elevating a text to being set apart is idolatry.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:55:39 AM
At 12/18/2011 9:51:29 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
God is the author of everything, and elevating a text to being set apart is idolatry.

So God wrote it?