Total Posts:70|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Proving the existence of God with 'Logic'...

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:13:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
It's starting to bug me when people who can't understand basic concepts like evolution (show you a man who is a monkey? Seriously?) start throwing down the logical arguments.

SO, I'm calling ya'll out.

If you think you can prove the existence of your God using logic and historical arguments, without any appeal to faith... come at me.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:15:44 PM
Scientific evidence is welcome too!

Muh threads
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:18:44 PM
At 12/18/2011 9:13:22 PM, tvellalott wrote:
It's starting to bug me when people who can't understand basic concepts like evolution (show you a man who is a monkey? Seriously?) start throwing down the logical arguments.

If you think you can prove the existence of your God using logic and historical arguments, without any appeal to faith... come at me.

1: Intelligent Design
2: Cosmological Argument
3: Fine Tuning
4: Teleological Argument
5: Modern Game Theory
6: Personal experience with God

All of these were more than enough to eradicate my agnosticism.

I have found anyone that has doubted the veracity of these arguments has not really understood them.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:34:40 PM
At 12/18/2011 9:18:44 PM, Gileandos wrote:

If you still can't accept the evidence against intelligent design, I'm afraid nothing I can say will convince you otherwise. It's pretty much a slam-dunk for Atheism in my opinion.

First cause doesn't have to be God.
First cause REALLY doesn't have to be YOUR God.

This is hardly a concrete argument, now is it?
I put this in the "I don't know" basket.
Remember, but admitting ignorance I am not conceding this point. You don't know either and if you say you do, you are displaying incredible arrogance.

Isn't this the same as the finely tuned universe?

Care to elaborate?

Sure... you have documented evidence of these experiences right? No?
That's a shame.

I have found anyone that has doubted the veracity of these arguments has not really understood them.
AHHH! So it's MY fault that I'm an Atheist because I simply don't understand all this evidence you have mounted against me.
Wait... Which part of this proves that Christianity is correct?

Muh threads
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:35:08 PM
Are you seriously putting game theory in that list? Either you need to explain something, or you need to be slapped.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 9:46:46 PM
At 12/18/2011 9:34:40 PM, tvellalott wrote:
At 12/18/2011 9:18:44 PM, Gileandos wrote:

If you still can't accept the evidence against intelligent design, I'm afraid nothing I can say will convince you otherwise. It's pretty much a slam-dunk for Atheism in my opinion.
Professor Anthony Flew, one of the greatest proponents for Athiesm converted to Deism due Intelligent Designs major and clear advances.
Perhaps you can review it more openly?

First cause doesn't have to be God.
First cause REALLY doesn't have to be YOUR God.

The Cosmological does not assert THE cause. It only asserts that logic and empiricism necessitates that a cause exists. The Teleological argument reconciles what the cause is.

This is hardly a concrete argument, now is it?
I put this in the "I don't know" basket.
Remember, but admitting ignorance I am not conceding this point. You don't know either and if you say you do, you are displaying incredible arrogance.

I through research affirm what nearly every scientist affirms. The universe is fine tuned for life. I can cite countless scientists including Stephen Hawking who affirm the universe if fine tuned.

Perhaps a bit more research?

Isn't this the same as the finely tuned universe?

It uses fine tuning as a fact and then follows:

1. The fine tuning of the universe is caused by either physical necessity, random chance or design.
2. It was not by physical necessity or random chance, these are both ruled out via scientific process.
3. Therefore it must have been design.

Care to elaborate?

Ouch tomorrow. I need to crash.

Sure... you have documented evidence of these experiences right? No?
That's a shame.

Countless people have even videotaped it. You have not been convinced by them, what makes you think you should be convinced by my video?

As I have stated countless times, to a naturalist even if I prayed and caused a leg to regrow, they would just claim, we would search "diligently" for another explanation and then claim humans must share a genetic link of regeneration with reptiles.

AHHH! So it's MY fault that I'm an Atheist because I simply don't understand all this evidence you have mounted against me.

I find it is more along the lines of naturalistic presuppositions that causes a lack of understanding. Try defending the points rather than attacking and see if you do not get further along.

Wait... Which part of this proves that Christianity is correct?
Modern Game Theory and Personal Experience.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/18/2011 10:26:14 PM
At 12/18/2011 9:46:46 PM, Gileandos wrote:
Professor Anthony Flew, one of the greatest proponents for Athiesm converted to Deism due Intelligent Designs major and clear advances.

Review what, exactly?
Which specific items do you find most convincing? Stuff like "The skull of this aboriginal looks remarkably like the skull evolutionists claim is a transitional fossil..."
No. If anything, I'll ask that we agree to disagree on the natural selection versus intelligent design argument. It's been done to death.

The Cosmological does not assert THE cause. It only asserts that logic and empiricism necessitates that a cause exists. The Teleological argument reconciles what the cause is.

See, here was thinking the Cosmological Argument asserted the first cause was God. If it doesn't, it has no place on your list.

I through research affirm what nearly every scientist affirms. The universe is fine tuned for life. I can cite countless scientists including Stephen Hawking who affirm the universe if fine tuned.

Please show me the quote of Stephen Hawking saying "The universe is finely tuned."
I must have missed that.
As far as we know, the state the universe exists in and the laws that govern it are a mere chance consequence of it's first cause, which we don't really know anything about. It's an argumentum ad ignorantiam to say it was God. It's REALLY fallacious to try and say it was Yahweh rather than Allah or whatever.

I don't need to research it to know I won't find anything that would prove to me it was God, because I don't have any faith in the existence of a God.

1. The fine tuning of the universe is caused by either physical necessity, random chance or design.
Sure.
2. It was not by physical necessity or random chance, these are both ruled out via scientific process.
WAIT a second... How are physical necessity and random chance ruled out by scientific process?
I must have missed that press release.

Countless people have even videotaped it. You have not been convinced by them, what makes you think you should be convinced by my video?

Again, I must have missed the video taped evidence. Surely you can find me a link or two on youtube... given there are "countless examples".

As I have stated countless times, to a naturalist even if I prayed and caused a leg to regrow, they would just claim, we would search "diligently" for another explanation and then claim humans must share a genetic link of regeneration with reptiles.

LOL. If you regrew a limb naturally... without any scientific assistance...
You would completely destroy modern biology and that particular school of science would have a lot to answer for.

But it's not going to happen.

I find it is more along the lines of naturalistic presuppositions that causes a lack of understanding. Try defending the points rather than attacking and see if you do not get further along.

Naturalistic presuppositions... You mean presuming that nothing supernatural exists? I find that an admirable trait to be honest. I asked you to provide arguments. All the arguments you provided were without any sources, evidence or actually arguments.
You basically said "Here are 6 massive subjects... disprove them."
You ignore the fact that all of your 6 points are not even remotely accepted outside of Theist circles. There are thousands of videos on YouTube which serve to disprove them just as there are thousands of videos which supposedly prove them. They're all contested points.

And that's my point and the point of this thread.
Don't bring in such widely contested philosophical or scientific arguments and try to pass them off as being on the same level as something as well studied as evolution...

Muh threads
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 4:30:52 AM
At 12/18/2011 10:26:14 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Review what, exactly?
Which specific items do you find most convincing? Stuff like "The skull of this aboriginal looks remarkably like the skull evolutionists claim is a transitional fossil..."
No. If anything, I'll ask that we agree to disagree on the natural selection versus intelligent design argument. It's been done to death.

See, here was thinking the Cosmological Argument asserted the first cause was God. If it doesn't, it has no place on your list.

Please show me the quote of Stephen Hawking saying "The universe is finely tuned."
I must have missed that.
As far as we know, the state the universe exists in and the laws that govern it are a mere chance consequence of it's first cause, which we don't really know anything about. It's an argumentum ad ignorantiam to say it was God. It's REALLY fallacious to try and say it was Yahweh rather than Allah or whatever.

I don't need to research it to know I won't find anything that would prove to me it was God, because I don't have any faith in the existence of a God.

Sure.
WAIT a second... How are physical necessity and random chance ruled out by scientific process?

Again, I must have missed the video taped evidence. Surely you can find me a link or two on youtube... given there are "countless examples".

You would completely destroy modern biology and that particular school of science would have a lot to answer for.

Naturalistic presuppositions... You mean presuming that nothing supernatural exists? I find that an admirable trait to be honest. I asked you to provide arguments. All the arguments you provided were without any sources, evidence or actually arguments.
You ignore the fact that all of your 6 points are not even remotely accepted outside of Theist circles. There are thousands of videos on YouTube which serve to disprove them just as there are thousands of videos which supposedly prove them. They're all contested points.

Don't bring in such widely contested philosophical or scientific arguments and try to pass them off as being on the same level as something as well studied as evolution...

One of the greatest? Please. Intelligent design is, was and always shall be nonsense, designed to circumvent the law by those who were not up to the task. The greatest proponent for atheism is, were, Aristotle and Plato, and they did not convert. Anyone who tries to distill evolution down to Darwin, is either a fool or just engaging in a absurdum. Come to think of it, both are foolish.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 5:09:09 AM
At 12/19/2011 4:30:52 AM, logicrules wrote:

Review what, exactly?

I must have missed that.

Sure.

One of the greatest? Please. Intelligent design is, was and always shall be nonsense, designed to circumvent the law by those who were not up to the task. The greatest proponent for atheism is, were, Aristotle and Plato, and they did not convert. Anyone who tries to distill evolution down to Darwin, is either a fool or just engaging in a absurdum. Come to think of it, both are foolish.

...They both believed in a deity (Demiurge and Prime Mover).
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 5:21:50 AM
At 12/19/2011 5:09:09 AM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 12/19/2011 4:30:52 AM, logicrules wrote:

Review what, exactly?

I must have missed that.

Sure.

LOL it is unmoved mover and it wasn't a diety
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 11:02:08 AM

Review what, exactly?

I believe you were the one that posted "Bring it on". You said Logic and Evidence.
This evidence has convinced a Major Athiestic advocate of over half a century.

It has not been done to death, it has been done clearly to a "point of conversion" for Anthony Flew.
As long as it wins over people, it warrants being on the list.

The purpose of a premise is to support the conclusion. An axiom of necessary cause indeed deserves to be a premise to support the cause.

http://en.wikipedia.org...
As Stephen Hawking has noted, "The laws of science, as we know them at present, contain many fundamental numbers, like the size of the electric charge of the electron and the ratio of the masses of the proton and the electron. ... The remarkable fact is that the values of these numbers seem to have been very finely adjusted to make possible the development of life."

The majority of scientists agree that indeed the fine tuning based upon the mathematics is a certainty.
Like the number for dark energy etc...

I disagree with Stephen Hawkings approach to fine tuning in his recent book but clearly fine tuning is a common and verified concept.

I must have missed that.

The numbers themselves do not indicate any particular reason as to why they are the numbers. However, the numbers themselves do exist. Hence the Teleological argument is used to work out if random chance was the generator.

As to designer being asserted again that is the Teleological argument.
Modern Game Theory and Personal experience assert "who" that God is.

Sure.

I do recognize your studies have been limited.
See Dembski, Craig and Reese's work to name a few.

Physical necessity is ruled out by logic.
As Stephen Hawking points out, the first physical principle is clear, in that nothing physical existed prior to the big bang so it simply could not have been physical necessity.

Stephen Hawking points to random chance.

Dembski points out that "pure" chance never generates anything, physical necessity is required for chance to operate.

That leaves design. Now was that designer using chance to generate as a deist? or was there a extrinsic purpose desired for the creation.

Sure, avoiding Supernaturalist tvs shows like Ghost Hunters on Travel channel etc...
Lets spin the wheel of supernatural evidence
see first video.

Do think Indians are credible?

How about America? See second video.

CBN documents many of these things.

No it wouldn't. It would just change the theory for the naturalist.
Modern Biology has countless examples of unexplained healings and have not changed the science at all.

Sure.
http://www.cbn.com...
Here is a CBN documented occurrance.
This is quite common in Christendom.

My own Father in Law, an Internal MD, fell from a treestand and broke 3 ribs.
He attended a Healing Mass from the Pope and was instantly healed, despite being over 60.

My own child was dramatically healed from prayer.

I have a sneaking suspicion you will just claim all of these people as having a naturalistic explanation and prayer had nothing to do with it.

These are not so widely contested as you would have made out, the vast majority of people agree with them.

I asserted them as more than enough to eradicate my agnosticism. I cited these things, with the assumption you did not know everything about these claims.

Your above reply amounts to "TEACH ME THESE THINGS!".
That is a long process.

I first have to cite the arguments to determine what you do not know, what you are unaware of and work from there.
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 11:16:56 AM

why did you have to start out so hostile? I know you hate god but don't place that hate on me.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 11:17:08 AM

LOL it is unmoved mover and it wasn't a diety

Plato actually believed his consciousness was from God, which it is. Therefore, Plato believed that there was some type of deity.

Explain your conscious.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 6:07:20 PM
At 12/19/2011 11:16:56 AM, bigbob91 wrote:

why did you have to start out so hostile? I know you hate god but don't place that hate on me.

I'm hostile because I hate wilful ignorance.
You're wilfully ignorant. You take the Bible as fact without question and anything that doesn't fit into your narrow belief is wrong..
This is intellectual dishonesty at it's most despicable.

As for hating God. Yes, I hate YOUR God, because he would have me suffer for eternity simply for no believing in him. On the other hand, a Christian like PCP believes (I'm fairly certain) in a much more reasonable God. I don't hate HIS God.
You all have different Gods as far as I'm concerned.
Now, when I say "hate" I mean the same kind of hate I have for many fictional characters. Umbridge from the Harry Potter books is an example.

Muh threads
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 6:09:46 PM
At 12/19/2011 6:07:20 PM, tvellalott wrote:

You're wilfully ignorant. You take the Bible as fact without question and anything that doesn't fit into your narrow belief is wrong..

As for hating God. Yes, I hate YOUR God, because he would have me suffer for eternity simply for no believing in him. On the other hand, a Christian like PCP believes (I'm fairly certain) in a much more reasonable God. I don't hate HIS God.
Now, when I say "hate" I mean the same kind of hate I have for many fictional characters. Umbridge from the Harry Potter books is an example.

God loves you, you choose hell, god doesn't want to send you there, but that is where you choose to go.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 6:12:33 PM
At 12/19/2011 6:09:46 PM, bigbob91 wrote:

God loves you, you choose hell, god doesn't want to send you there, but that is where you choose to go.

...he really does love you, but if you happen to be mistaken about his existence he'll send you to an eternity of torture in the fiery depths of hell where every waking moment will be spent in great suffering beyond what we on Earth could conceive of...but he loves you...
bigbob91
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 6:17:16 PM
At 12/19/2011 6:12:33 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

...he really does love you, but if you happen to be mistaken about his existence he'll send you to an eternity of torture in the fiery depths of hell where every waking moment will be spent in great suffering beyond what we on Earth could conceive of...but he loves you...

He gives you a choose, if you don't want to be with him you choose to go to hell. You reject his love for you.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 6:21:47 PM
At 12/19/2011 6:17:16 PM, bigbob91 wrote:
He gives you a choose, if you don't want to be with him you choose to go to hell. You reject his love for you.

Great choice...
"Love me or suffer for eternity in the hell fire."

Furthermore, he gives us no definitive proof of his existence outside the Bible, which from my perspective is a book of bronze age fairy tales.

Muh threads
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 6:24:21 PM
At 12/19/2011 6:12:33 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:

Then I suppose that God doesn't value honesty then. You can't seem to reconcile the idea that he is simultaneously perfect and jealous.

If he truly loved us all and was as forgiving as Christians postulate, wouldn't he forgive everyone?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 7:10:38 PM

If i could, i would choose to believe that God exists. But i would be lying to myself.

The only way to believe that something is true, is by being convinced. Thats the only way.

So God has placed a gun to my head and told me to believe. But i cannot, because i cannot lie to myself, and God has not convinced me one iota.

In other words, its Gods fault, and hes sending me to hell because of it. How unfair that Paul gets a blinding light that blinds him for 3 days to convince him, while all i get is some guy on the other end of a computer telling me that God exists.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 9:57:00 AM
At 12/19/2011 6:21:47 PM, tvellalott wrote:

Great choice...
"Love me or suffer for eternity in the hell fire."

Furthermore, he gives us no definitive proof of his existence outside the Bible, which from my perspective is a book of bronze age fairy tales.

I would like to point out that, I am indeed outside of the Bible.
As is the entirety of the Church.

God is also outside of the Bible and completely approachable.

Science continues to point to a designer of the universe.

I believe the problem is you want a "huggable" God.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 10:09:24 AM
Couple things to think about:

Humans are way smarter then any animal on earth.

Also think about our conscience.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 10:15:51 AM

Now that you mention it, what is your take on amputee healing? Miraculous healing is often attributed to faith but we don't often hear of many regrown limbs.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 10:17:58 AM
At 12/20/2011 10:09:24 AM, tyler90az wrote:

Dolphins are way smarter than most other animals on earth as well, that doesn't make them special any more than an animal having the most physical strength does.

Think about the fact that not everyone has a conscience. Also, you'd think that everyone would feel the same level of remorse for everything if there was an omni-deity. That would atleast somewhat level the playing field as to who is good and who is evil. It's difficult to condemn a psychopath to hell for horrible acts if they're incapable of feeling remorse.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 11:02:01 AM
At 12/20/2011 10:15:51 AM, Maikuru wrote:

Now that you mention it, what is your take on amputee healing? Miraculous healing is often attributed to faith but we don't often hear of many regrown limbs.

There are claims in the Bible and I have recently heard the claims from the Gospel for Asia.

Even caved in skulls and such have been restored.

I have not personally seen a regrown Limb.
But if I videotaped it with the express purpose of evidence I would instantly become a world reknown fraud, even more so if it was true.

But many miraculous healings have been documented with no natural explanation alongside a word of knowledge or prayer.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 3:52:33 PM
At 12/20/2011 10:17:58 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:

Dolphins are way smarter than most other animals on earth as well, that doesn't make them special any more than an animal having the most physical strength does.

We are superior in intelligence, to all animals, by a long shot. We also have language, the ability to communicate, no other animal has communication abilities like we do.

Think about the fact that not everyone has a conscience. Also, you'd think that everyone would feel the same level of remorse for everything if there was an omni-deity. That would atleast somewhat level the playing field as to who is good and who is evil. It's difficult to condemn a psychopath to hell for horrible acts if they're incapable of feeling remorse.

We all start out with the same conscience, however, it is changed by our lives. Psychopaths are a product of their environment, some type of trauma. It is hard for me to be angry at anybody for their actions, as they are a product of their environment.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 12:19:42 PM

LOL. Of course we value the traits that we have that we deem useful to our own survival. So what? We're hardly the "dominant" species.

Do you want to know who REALLY is the dominant organism on this planet? One that has held that tital for billions of years?

Bacteria.

We're all just pretenders.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 12:22:02 PM
At 12/21/2011 12:19:42 PM, drafterman wrote:

LOL. Of course we value the traits that we have that we deem useful to our own survival. So what? We're hardly the "dominant" species.

Do you want to know who REALLY is the dominant organism on this planet? One that has held that tital for billions of years?

Bacteria.

Wow, that kind of defense is startling.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 12:26:30 PM
At 12/21/2011 12:22:02 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 12/21/2011 12:19:42 PM, drafterman wrote:

Bacteria.

Wow, that kind of defense is startling.

Why? Why should we assume that we are dominant? There is no evidence to prove that we are.