Jump to topic:

Protestants and Catholicism

Wandile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 11:33:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have noticed that there are some protestants around who simply hate catholicism. They condemn the church to hell and even attempt to twist biblical prophecy to refer to the Catholic Church as the whore of Babylon!

I just find it inexplicable to accuse the Catholic church of being the church of the devil. Some protestants even go so far as to exclude catholicism from Christianity! I have encountered some protestants who said that I am not Christian because I'm catholic! Do these people not know that catholicism is a denomination of christianity, the biggest and oldest denomination?

The ignorance of such people inflames me to the core!

Note : I'm not targeting all protestants but only these who are guilty of what I have been speaking about. Most Protestants really don't mind catholicism at all. It's just these few that really irritate me!
"Possibly deluded.... no way to confirm the veracity. That is an extraordinary claim to suggest billions the world over and throughout history are deluded. Proof?
Also if you actually believe these Billions of historical Christians are deluded, what gives you a warrant to special plead you are not equally self deluded within your own views? Sounds like self contradictory belief system you are under." - Gileandos

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice - Proverb
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 11:57:32 AM
At 12/19/2011 11:33:14 AM, Wandile wrote:
I have noticed that there are some protestants around who simply hate catholicism. They condemn the church to hell and even attempt to twist biblical prophecy to refer to the Catholic Church as the whore of Babylon!

I just find it inexplicable to accuse the Catholic church of being the church of the devil. Some protestants even go so far as to exclude catholicism from Christianity! I have encountered some protestants who said that I am not Christian because I'm catholic! Do these people not know that catholicism is a denomination of christianity, the biggest and oldest denomination?

Note : I'm not targeting all protestants but only these who are guilty of what I have been speaking about. Most Protestants really don't mind catholicism at all. It's just these few that really irritate me!

People naturally like to accuse others. I suppose there will always be evidence that someone can use to condemn the Catholic church. There are always going to be things that "don't add up;" this is the case for any denomination really. When people discover these "inconsistencies," they immediately proceed to the offense; when they really could be searching for the truth.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 12:01:39 PM

However, it is alright for some Catholics to say The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a Christian Church?
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 12:04:33 PM
At 12/19/2011 12:01:39 PM, tyler90az wrote:

However, it is alright for some Catholics to say The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is not a Christian Church?

My point exactly. People are inclined to accuse others; any denomination, really.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 12:08:28 PM
At 12/19/2011 12:04:33 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

My point exactly. People are inclined to accuse others; any denomination, really.

Point taken
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 12:15:27 PM
If you are biblically knowledgeable, just examining a Catholic Church can be disturbing. I think what they do is very intentional.

One of the reasons I believe this has to do with the disproportionate amount of biblical scholars who work for or with the Catholic Church. They have to know what they are doing, because oftentimes these scholars are have understandings of the texts that might be considered blasphemous to the Church.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 3:26:07 PM

There you go again. it is evangelicals who say you are not Christian, and of course the definition of Christian. The RCC says your baptism isn't valid. Ya know there is a reason everything looks like a colon to you.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 3:28:30 PM

Do not worry about people on here. The ignorance of some is necessary for their paradigm. Heck, most don't even know where protestant comes from and would have no idea what the oxford movement was if it was the KJV. You go to college, and you shall see just how silly many of these people are.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 3:36:02 PM
There you go again. it is evangelicals who say you are not Christian, and of course the definition of Christian. The RCC says your baptism isn't valid. Ya know there is a reason everything looks like a colon to you.

How do you know what I have heard other people say? That is very interesting......... lol
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 4:08:55 PM
At 12/19/2011 4:02:10 PM, bigbob91 wrote:
I personally don't think the catholics have it right, but if you accept Jesus Christ you are alright in my book.

^like
Wandile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 4:35:16 PM
I just find it really baffling how one can accuse the Church that gave them the bible of being false. Many people do not agree with the minor doctrines of catholicism, this is fine as catholics do not agree with various minor doctrines of protestants... As long as catholics hold the core tenets of christianity, they are christian.
"Possibly deluded.... no way to confirm the veracity. That is an extraordinary claim to suggest billions the world over and throughout history are deluded. Proof?
Also if you actually believe these Billions of historical Christians are deluded, what gives you a warrant to special plead you are not equally self deluded within your own views? Sounds like self contradictory belief system you are under." - Gileandos

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice - Proverb
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 4:37:50 PM
At 12/19/2011 12:15:27 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
If you are biblically knowledgeable, just examining a Catholic Church can be disturbing. I think what they do is very intentional.

One of the reasons I believe this has to do with the disproportionate amount of biblical scholars who work for or with the Catholic Church. They have to know what they are doing, because oftentimes these scholars are have understandings of the texts that might be considered blasphemous to the Church.

What is Biblically Knowledgeable? The role of zoroastrianism in the OT? The diaspora? What exactly?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 4:39:10 PM
At 12/19/2011 3:36:02 PM, tyler90az wrote:

How do you know what I have heard other people say? That is very interesting......... lol

I have no idea what you have heard....you ay have heard you are right. I only know the preponderance of published opinion.
Calvincambridge
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 9:33:51 PM
At 12/19/2011 3:26:07 PM, logicrules wrote:

I'm an evangelical and have absolutly no problem with catholicism and even used to be Catholic myself.
Trying to figure out women is like trying to solve a Rubik's cube with missing pieces. While blind. And on fire. And being shot.-Agent_Orange
Dude. Shades
That is all.- Thaddeus Rivers
One thing that isn't a joke though is the fact that woman are computers.Some buttons you can press and it'l work fine, but if you push the wrong one you'll get the blue screen of death.
silly, thett. girls are only good for sex. being friends with a female is of no value.-darkkermit
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 9:56:07 PM
: At 12/19/2011 11:33:14 AM, Wandile wrote:

I am sorry you have had to deal with stupidity like this. It is wrong for a Christian to tell you you are not a Christian. Catholics are Christians, there is no doubt there. Jesus Christ died for all of us, we are all His people.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 11:12:15 PM

And vice-versa
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/19/2011 11:45:52 PM
Jesus is very specific and strict on what he considers to be a follower. I would say that there is no denomination claim that makes you anything otger than a cultural Christian. Real Christians are crazy, and full of the purest of uncontrolling love, detachment, and unshakable integrity.

Many will do great deeds and call Jesus lord, but Jesus would tell them himself, if he could, "you never knew me."

The state of Christianity is patgetic. If Jesus was alive to say something, he would surely weep and regret what he unintentionally helped justify.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/20/2011 2:58:32 AM
At 12/19/2011 11:45:52 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Jesus is very specific and strict on what he considers to be a follower. I would say that there is no denomination claim that makes you anything otger than a cultural Christian. Real Christians are crazy, and full of the purest of uncontrolling love, detachment, and unshakable integrity.

Many will do great deeds and call Jesus lord, but Jesus would tell them himself, if he could, "you never knew me."

The state of Christianity is patgetic. If Jesus was alive to say something, he would surely weep and regret what he unintentionally helped justify.

There were no Christians when Jesus was alive, and those are not his words. When you make them "his" you do a dis service to God. Even Satan believes Jesus is the Christ.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 4:13:50 AM
At 12/19/2011 9:33:51 PM, Calvincambridge wrote:
At 12/19/2011 3:26:07 PM, logicrules wrote:

I'm an evangelical and have absolutly no problem with catholicism and even used to be Catholic myself.

Wow....the original poster is a Mormon. FYI All dspensationalists have a problem with the RCC.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:29:03 AM
I would like to make a couple of points.

1---- I would like to define why Mormonism is not considered Christianity.

All mormons would agree that they deny the early church fathers from Nicea on. The Balance of Christianity asserts these Church fathers shared a common belief and teaching.
Mormonism asserts some secret truth handed down among hidden believers... however, zero track of this belief system can be shown.

As mormons deny Jesus Christ's reality in fullness, and many orthodox teachings directly from the Bible, they are considered not Christians by all other denominational leaders.

For example:
If you showed up to a family gathering and everyone there said you were a "crasher" and not a part of the family, no matter how many times you claimed you were "cousin" Timmy, it does not make you a part of the family.

Every denomination has to embrace you first, that has not happened.

2---Temple Mormons do not worship God as the one single God but Satan.

Additionally,
Cult Status is from their behavior towards believers outside and within the Church that try to leave the church.

No Christian denomination do what the JW's and Mormons do to the people that try to leave the Church. Even their own family denies them.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:36:48 AM
At 12/21/2011 9:29:03 AM, Gileandos wrote:

All mormons would agree that they deny the early church fathers from Nicea on. The Balance of Christianity asserts these Church fathers shared a common belief and teaching.
Mormonism asserts some secret truth handed down among hidden believers... however, zero track of this belief system can be shown.

As mormons deny Jesus Christ's reality in fullness, and many orthodox teachings directly from the Bible, they are considered not Christians by all other denominational leaders.

For example:
If you showed up to a family gathering and everyone there said you were a "crasher" and not a part of the family, no matter how many times you claimed you were "cousin" Timmy, it does not make you a part of the family.

Additionally,
Cult Status is from their behavior towards believers outside and within the Church that try to leave the church.

No Christian denomination do what the JW's and Mormons do to the people that try to leave the Church. Even their own family denies them.

You said your Catholic correct?

Why do Catholics hang pictures of Mary up and not Jesus?

Why were Catholics prohibited from reading the Bible?

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

We proudly hang pictures of Jesus up in our houses.

We are told to read the Bible often.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:38:29 AM
Don't get me wrong I am not saying your not Christian. I recognize you are followers of Jesus Christ, therefore, Christian. I am just simply pointing out things that would lead me to believe you don't follow Christ, like you are doing to my religion.
Wandile
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:48:58 AM

Catholics have numerous pictures of Jesus. In fact in almost every Catholic church there is a crucifix at the front of the church.

Catholics too are encouraged to read the bible.

tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:52:08 AM
At 12/21/2011 9:48:58 AM, Wandile wrote:

Catholics have numerous pictures of Jesus. In fact in almost every Catholic church there is a crucifix at the front of the church.

Catholics too are encouraged to read the bible.

Ok
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:52:38 AM
At 12/21/2011 9:36:48 AM, tyler90az wrote:
At 12/21/2011 9:29:03 AM, Gileandos wrote:

For example:

Additionally,

You said your Catholic correct?
No. I defend all the Patriarchs.

She is Jesus' Mother. If they have a Mary statue or picture up they certainly have a crucifix of Jesus.

To avoid fissures caused by people who are not studied well enough, that would misinterpret the Bible and cause massive fissures in the Church.....looks like they were right.

You also proudly house multiple wives, you also proudly celebrate Satan in your Temple ceremonies.
Were we disagree defines us not where we agree.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:52:46 AM

Is that a joke?
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/21/2011 9:55:40 AM
You also proudly house multiple wives, you also proudly celebrate Satan in your Temple ceremonies.

Were we disagree defines us not where we agree.

I choose not to attack Catholicism, although I could. I prefer to be a disciple of Jesus, a peace maker, rather then a fighter.

I do not have multiple wives, nor do I worship Satan.

I find when somebody breaks down to the you worship Satan argument, they have no argument at all. To defend that would be insulting to myself, as it is complete nonsense.