Jump to topic:

I don't get it

Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 1:16:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
He who saves his life will lose it; he who loses his life for my sake and the Gospel's will save it - Jesus

First, how can I not try to save my life? Even if I go all-martyrdom, I am doing so for my own sake. Any insights?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 5:20:03 PM
At 12/22/2011 1:16:44 PM, Jon1 wrote:
He who saves his life will lose it; he who loses his life for my sake and the Gospel's will save it - Jesus

First, how can I not try to save my life? Even if I go all-martyrdom, I am doing so for my own sake. Any insights?

The key is putting to death your sin life.

You like to fornicate, death.
You like movies, death.
You like video games, death.

On and on. All the things you like you put to death for something greater. That is to have the nature and character of God inside of you. To become like God.

You put to death the common pursuits of man, work, profit, possessions etc... and pick up the pursuits of God.
Truth, souls etc...

Does that help?
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 5:23:31 PM

What it means is if you live your life for yourself you will be miserable. If you live your life for others you will have a wonderful life. It is one of the most beautiful expressions in the bible.
ApostateAbe
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 5:51:49 PM

It wasn't meant to make consistent philosophical sense. The intent of the author of the gospel of Mark was to motivate Christians to give up their families and livelihoods for the sake of evangelizing for the Christian religion. It is difficult to ask people to give up those things, but Jesus and the author of Mark reasoned that it will not benefit you to gain the whole world if you will be left out of the world to come.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 8:09:15 AM
At 12/22/2011 5:51:49 PM, ApostateAbe wrote:

It wasn't meant to make consistent philosophical sense. The intent of the author of the gospel of Mark was to motivate Christians to give up their families and livelihoods for the sake of evangelizing for the Christian religion. It is difficult to ask people to give up those things, but Jesus and the author of Mark reasoned that it will not benefit you to gain the whole world if you will be left out of the world to come.

Oh, I'll explore this view, thank you.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 12:10:27 PM

If you choose yourself over others you will lose. If you chose society over right, ou will lose. Choose wisely grasshopper.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 12:13:37 PM
At 12/22/2011 5:20:03 PM, Gileandos wrote:

The key is putting to death your sin life.

You like to fornicate, death.
You like movies, death.
You like video games, death.

On and on. All the things you like you put to death for something greater. That is to have the nature and character of God inside of you. To become like God.

You put to death the common pursuits of man, work, profit, possessions etc... and pick up the pursuits of God.
Truth, souls etc...

Does that help?

LOL just goofy. God loves fornicators but has a problem with those who care about other peoples parts God doesn't care about movies because they have actors, all of whom in His image, come to think of it God created the image idea. Gos loves video games, heck thats why he showed people in the bible visions.