Islam is a peaceful religion...

comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 2:47:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
That is my claim, what is your opinion?

People who practice Islam are, mostly, a peaceful bunch...
Extremist do not follow Islam, so can they really be labeled as Islamic?

Let me know...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 3:06:07 PM
Well, if a religion tells you to essentially, kill the unbelievers, is that peaceful? I think not.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 3:12:03 PM
I haven never read the Qu'ran cover to cover, and I certainly have not read books by Islamic scholars about how to correctly interpret the Qu'ran, so I have no idea about how peaceful the tenants of Islam actually are. Obviously the majority of Muslims are peaceful ordinary people who don't want to blow infidels up or fly planes into buildings. My objection to religions are that I suspect the widespread belief in an afterlife is hampering scientific progress and funding into ways to make humans live far longer than they currently do. Anti-aging medicine, consciousness transferal, cryonics and so on must seem much less important if you believe you are going to heaven after you die.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 3:30:11 PM
At 12/22/2011 3:28:25 PM, PeacefulChaos wrote:
Every religion has its peace and chaos. * cough * my name * cough *

I know that most Muslims are peaceful people; it is the extremists that give the religion a bad name.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 6:09:25 PM
Leading aggressive wars is forbidden. Waging war against an enemy who gives up is forbidden. Killing a non-Muslim in an Islamic State is punished by death penalty (or perhaps some recompense to his family; whatever the ruling on killing a Muslim is applied to non-Muslims).

Muslims are not allowed to kill soldiers who give up, and must provide peace and security to them. That's emphasized in Chapter 9, 1-6. And I can go on.
Rasheed
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 7:36:34 PM
The real issue is extremism versus moderation. This has always been a battle in every religion. I know Christians shake their heads in disgust when a group calls themselves the "Christian" Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, or abortion clinics are bombed by so called Christians. The Branch Davidians, Jim Jones, or the wacko that killed scores of people in the Netherlands all claimed to be Christians but most people recognize that true Christians do not behave in this manner. Snake handlers, people who won't allow their children to get blood transfusions after an accident, or faith healers who tell cancer patients to throw away their medicine because they are healed are all examples of "Christian" extremists but no one is marching to ban Churches and politicians are not screaming that Christians should be profiled.

American Muslims serve in the Military, all the intelligence services, as well as police forces throughout the country. Some Muslims barely observe the faith, others are extremely devote, a few are weirdo's, just like any other religion. We have strong views about Middle Eastern foreign policy, but again we are no different than Jewish Americans, Hispanic Americans, Irish Americans, Italian Americans, or Chinese Americans who are interested in the land of their origin. As an African American Muslim I am concerned about the peace process and how it seems unfair to the Palestinians, and I pay close attention to what takes place in Africa, even though I have never lived there and don't want to, but I am American who has served my country in wartime, and no matter how much I may disagree with her on some issues I know that the way to change it is to get politically active, not to blow up something. Every Muslim I know feels the same way.

Finally, extremists who profess Islam have killed more Muslims than they have Westerners, and this is why moderates fought back during the Sunni Awakening in Iraq. Extremists are dangerous, no matter what religion they profess.
Say; He Allah (S.W.T.) is One God, He Begets not, nor is He begotten, and there is none like unto Him."
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 7:52:35 PM
At 12/22/2011 7:36:34 PM, Rasheed wrote:
The real issue is extremism versus moderation. This has always been a battle in every religion. I know Christians shake their heads in disgust when a group calls themselves the "Christian" Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, or abortion clinics are bombed by so called Christians. The Branch Davidians, Jim Jones, or the wacko that killed scores of people in the Netherlands all claimed to be Christians but most people recognize that true Christians do not behave in this manner. Snake handlers, people who won't allow their children to get blood transfusions after an accident, or faith healers who tell cancer patients to throw away their medicine because they are healed are all examples of "Christian" extremists but no one is marching to ban Churches and politicians are not screaming that Christians should be profiled.

American Muslims serve in the Military, all the intelligence services, as well as police forces throughout the country. Some Muslims barely observe the faith, others are extremely devote, a few are weirdo's, just like any other religion. We have strong views about Middle Eastern foreign policy, but again we are no different than Jewish Americans, Hispanic Americans, Irish Americans, Italian Americans, or Chinese Americans who are interested in the land of their origin. As an African American Muslim I am concerned about the peace process and how it seems unfair to the Palestinians, and I pay close attention to what takes place in Africa, even though I have never lived there and don't want to, but I am American who has served my country in wartime, and no matter how much I may disagree with her on some issues I know that the way to change it is to get politically active, not to blow up something. Every Muslim I know feels the same way.

Finally, extremists who profess Islam have killed more Muslims than they have Westerners, and this is why moderates fought back during the Sunni Awakening in Iraq. Extremists are dangerous, no matter what religion they profess.

Huge difference between Christian wackos and Muslim Extremists.

Muslim Extremists are 30% of the belief system and they are effective at taking over ENTIRE nations.

Christian fringe barely make up 1% of the belief system.

Besides, I think the weak Muslims give the Extremists a bad name.

Not to mention a cloak to operate in.
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 8:04:55 PM
At 12/22/2011 7:52:35 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Muslim Extremists are 30% of the belief system and they are effective at taking over ENTIRE nations.

Sources for your fantastically made-up numbers?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 9:09:31 PM
At 12/22/2011 8:04:55 PM, Mirza wrote:

LOL. I already cited this for you before in a forum a while back. Did you read it?
It is a nasty habit of the forum to ignore the posts.

Besides all you have to point to is crackpot Christians taking over a nation recently. I can point to a couple of large nations on the other hand.... Iran, Egyp, Libya... soon Iraq, not to mention the Taliban.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 9:23:46 PM
Islam is peaceful. When not perverted, it a pleasant religion.

It is violent when changed (Muslim terrorists are often illiterate) and uneducated. SO Islam its name.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 10:55:07 PM
At 12/22/2011 3:06:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:
Well, if a religion tells you to essentially, kill the unbelievers, is that peaceful? I think not.

Response: Islam does not tell anyone to kill the disbelievers. Every single verse that speaks of killing and fighting disbelievers carries a context of self-defense. It was th muslims who were being persecuted and attacked, not the other way around. From suah 9:5, 9:25, or any verse you think of, you can see yourself that if you read the verses before and after it, muslims are acing in defense of non-muslim attacks. So islam is a religion of peace, as its teachings advocate principles that establish peace.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:00:24 PM
At 12/22/2011 10:55:07 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: Islam does not tell anyone to kill the disbelievers. Every single verse that speaks of killing and fighting disbelievers carries a context of self-defense. It was th muslims who were being persecuted and attacked, not the other way around. From suah 9:5, 9:25, or any verse you think of, you can see yourself that if you read the verses before and after it, muslims are acing in defense of non-muslim attacks. So islam is a religion of peace, as its teachings advocate principles that establish peace.

Please tell one in three muslims you meet that. Keeping selling buddy! I would love a muslim reformation.
Instead I see sunnies and shiites killing each other in Iraq.

Perhaps you should advocate dialogue with the fanatics.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:05:58 PM
I suppose you'd then claim Christianity to be a religion of peace after a statement like that, eh?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:08:35 PM
At 12/22/2011 11:00:24 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Please tell one in three muslims you meet that. Keeping selling buddy! I would love a muslim reformation.
Instead I see sunnies and shiites killing each other in Iraq.

Perhaps you should advocate dialogue with the fanatics.

Response: There is no need to tell one in three muslims. Rather, what is necessary is for non-muslims to stop aiding distorted teachings of islam, along with the people who distort the religion under the name of islam.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:08:48 PM
Tell you what Mirza,

You keep claiming the mulsims are the largest group and I keep citing multiple sites.

Here Pew Research has put it in a nice easy package to read.

The numbers are staggering.

http://www.usatoday.com...

32% Christianity of the world population and growing.

Chinese house churches claim 250 million of the 1.33 Billion only 67 million are part of the 3 church.

Buddy, the Islamists better start beheading more infidels to 'ketch up'. This debate concept is loosing badly.

Especially when Chinese, Africans and Middle Eastern believers are seeing Visions in record numbers.
The story of China Cry is amazing.
Fatihah
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:09:58 PM
At 12/22/2011 11:05:58 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I suppose you'd then claim Christianity to be a religion of peace after a statement like that, eh?

Response: Christianity as preached in many churches is a religion of peace.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:18:55 PM

Where do you see this? In Surah 2 and 9 (sword verses) we see something close to what you are claiming if you take it out of context. But if we take the bible out of context and circulate a verse, it will also look as bad.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:23:06 PM
At 12/22/2011 3:12:03 PM, Kinesis wrote:
I haven never read the Qu'ran cover to cover,

I have read it 3 times, cover to cover.

and I certainly have not read books by Islamic scholars about how to correctly interpret the Qu'ran, so I have no idea about how peaceful the tenants of Islam actually are.

Very much so...

Obviously the majority of Muslims are peaceful ordinary people who don't want to blow infidels up or fly planes into buildings. My objection to religions are that I suspect the widespread belief in an afterlife is hampering scientific progress and funding into ways to make humans live far longer than they currently do.

This is fair.

Anti-aging medicine, consciousness transferal, cryonics and so on must seem much less important if you believe you are going to heaven after you die.

This begs another question: Are religious people taking their sacred text literally when it was written to be taken symbolically, or are they taking the text symbolically when it was written to be taken literally.

I claim that the first of the two is what we see today.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:23:22 PM

Ha!
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:24:47 PM
Gileandos, I asked you for sources. Had I wanted to cower out of your evidence, I would never ask for the sources you think I am avoiding.

Your other post is a complete strawman. Sources for 1/3 Muslims supporting terrorism, thank you.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:25:29 PM
At 12/22/2011 3:30:11 PM, tyler90az wrote:

I know that most Muslims are peaceful people; it is the extremists that give the religion a bad name.

But if the extremist go against the religion in doing extreme things, can we still label them as a representative of the religion?

IE- The Quran says that anyone who kills themselves will go to hell- yet martyr kill themselves in the name of Islam, but fail to practice it correctly.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:26:37 PM
At 12/22/2011 6:09:25 PM, Mirza wrote:
Leading aggressive wars is forbidden. Waging war against an enemy who gives up is forbidden. Killing a non-Muslim in an Islamic State is punished by death penalty (or perhaps some recompense to his family; whatever the ruling on killing a Muslim is applied to non-Muslims).

Exactly!

Muslims are not allowed to kill soldiers who give up, and must provide peace and security to them. That's emphasized in Chapter 9, 1-6. And I can go on.

Yes! and on and on. These people are not following the faith, so is it fair to blame Islam?
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:30:49 PM
The real issue is extremism versus moderation. This has always been a battle in every religion. I know Christians shake their heads in disgust when a group calls themselves the "Christian" Knights of the Ku Klux Klan, or abortion clinics are bombed by so called Christians.

They should because these people are not following the bible or the words of Christ.

The Branch Davidians, Jim Jones, or the wacko that killed scores of people in the Netherlands all claimed to be Christians but most people recognize that true Christians do not behave in this manner.

I'm asking then, should the religion be mentioned. These are not Christians, so is it proper to say "these Christian extremist?"

Snake handlers, people who won't allow their children to get blood transfusions after an accident, or faith healers who tell cancer patients to throw away their medicine because they are healed are all examples of "Christian" extremists but no one is marching to ban Churches and politicians are not screaming that Christians should be profiled.

American Muslims serve in the Military, all the intelligence services, as well as police forces throughout the country. Some Muslims barely observe the faith, others are extremely devote, a few are weirdo's, just like any other religion. We have strong views about Middle Eastern foreign policy, but again we are no different than Jewish Americans, Hispanic Americans, Irish Americans, Italian Americans, or Chinese Americans who are interested in the land of their origin.

Yes, exactly!

As an African American Muslim I am concerned about the peace process and how it seems unfair to the Palestinians, and I pay close attention to what takes place in Africa, even though I have never lived there and don't want to, but I am American who has served my country in wartime, and no matter how much I may disagree with her on some issues I know that the way to change it is to get politically active, not to blow up something. Every Muslim I know feels the same way.

Welcome to the discussion brother.

Yes!
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:32:36 PM

What? The middle east only makes up 15% of Muslims... Where do you get 30%...?

What? Where are your facts?

What is a weak Muslim?

Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:33:26 PM
At 12/22/2011 11:26:37 PM, comoncents wrote:
Yes! and on and on. These people are not following the faith, so is it fair to blame Islam?
No, I don't think it is. Although Muslims are people who belong to the religion Islam, we should remember that they are all different. There are Muslim converts, cultural Muslims, etc. To think that they are all the same and represented by Islam is utterly wrong.

The culture in India is incredibly different to the culture in say, Saudi Arabia. Muslims in those countries have various different mindsets and beliefs. For instance, in India some Muslims follow the caste system because they adapted it through their culture. In Saudi Arabia, they don't have such systems.

Basic psychology helps understanding why Islam is not responsible for what Muslims, generally, do. We are all affected very much by our environments, and a Muslim in Afghanistan is more likely to become some sort of a warrior than a Muslim in Indonesia. That's not because they follow different religions. It's the same one. But it's because they were brought up in different cultures.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:34:18 PM
At 12/22/2011 9:09:31 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 12/22/2011 8:04:55 PM, Mirza wrote:

LOL. I already cited this for you before in a forum a while back. Did you read it?
It is a nasty habit of the forum to ignore the posts.

Legitimate facts...?

Besides all you have to point to is crackpot Christians taking over a nation recently. I can point to a couple of large nations on the other hand.... Iran, Egyp, Libya... soon Iraq, not to mention the Taliban.

This is mucked up in propaganda, not fact...
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:34:49 PM
The weapons of spiritual warfare are not carnal in nature. They are weapons meant to abolish false understandings.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/22/2011 11:37:14 PM
At 12/22/2011 10:55:07 PM, Fatihah wrote:

Response: Islam does not tell anyone to kill the disbelievers. Every single verse that speaks of killing and fighting disbelievers carries a context of self-defense.

Yes. Muslims suffered for 10 years before God even allowed retaliation. They were killed without lashing back, and people would not allow them to practice Islam. 10 years before the Mecca Surahs were written in this self defense fashion.

It was th Muslims who were being persecuted and attacked, not the other way around. From suah 9:5, 9:25, or any verse you think of, you can see yourself that if you read the verses before and after it, Muslims are acing in defense of non-Muslim attacks. So Islam is a religion of peace, as its teachings advocate principles that establish peace.

Yes.