Jump to topic:

Just Because You Don't Like It...

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 1:17:20 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have been reading around, blogs, debates, op-eds and I have come to the conclusion that many people are against certain religions mainly because they don't like what they hear.

Some gays reject Christianity because it doesn't accept homosexuality.

Atheists don't like being told how to live.

Some people say that the Old Testiment can't possibly be true because of some of the acts done by the ancient Jews on order by God.

(Yes these are some broad and common generalizations made to form a broad and simple point.)

Just because you don't like what you hear doesn't make it untrue.

God did order the Jews to slaughter entire cities. So? Just because you don't like that doesn't make it untrue. Many people say God is all loving and all caring, which he is now, but before the coming of his Son Christ Jesus that wasn't the case, before that he was the God of Israel of Abraham Issac and Jacob. So in those times he was championing the Jews. So what? It's true, deal with it.

Homosexuality is wrong and no God doesn't have to accept everybody based on "who they are" because its a sin and therefore separates you from God and is a choice you make. Is it fun to hear? No but that doesn't make it untrue.

I'm sick of hearing that arugment, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it untrue.

I hate that Obama is president but does that make it untrue? I wish but no.

Just something I thought to share so come at me atheists and liberals and take your shots now...
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 1:39:35 AM
At 12/23/2011 1:17:20 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

God did order the Jews to slaughter entire cities. So?

Interesting. What would happen if I told you that God told me to slaughter you, your immediate and extended family, and all of your friends and acquaintance's (I sure hope know you don't any small children!)? What if I wrote it down claiming I was divinely inspired? So?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 2:13:04 AM
At 12/23/2011 1:39:35 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

Interesting. What would happen if I told you that God told me to slaughter you, your immediate and extended family, and all of your friends and acquaintance's (I sure hope know you don't any small children!)? What if I wrote it down claiming I was divinely inspired? So?

What if I was to say God told me to help Pop slaughter conservative, his family and his friends. God must really have it in for conservative.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
MarquisX
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 2:13:32 AM

Check and mate!
Sophisticated ignorance, write my curses in cursive
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 2:33:53 AM
At 12/23/2011 2:13:04 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

What if I was to say God told me to help Pop slaughter conservative, his family and his friends. God must really have it in for conservative.

I'm sure conservative would accept the judgement with a flippant and careless shrug. What time do you want to meet up so we can do this?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 2:39:02 AM
At 12/23/2011 2:33:53 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 12/23/2011 2:13:04 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

I'm sure conservative would accept the judgement with a flippant and careless shrug. What time do you want to meet up so we can do this?

Yeah, typical scoffing unbeliever. God also mentioned something about keeping all the virgin women alive for some reason, but I can't figure out why, I mean what are we going to do with a bunch of female virgins ? Never the less, his will be done.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 4:02:33 AM
I have been reading around, blogs, debates, op-eds and I have come to the conclusion that many people are against certain religions mainly because they don't like what they hear.

Some people say that the Old Testiment can't possibly be true because of some of the acts done by the ancient Jews on order by God.

(Yes these are some broad and common generalizations made to form a broad and simple point.)

God did order the Jews to slaughter entire cities. So? Just because you don't like that doesn't make it untrue. Many people say God is all loving and all caring, which he is now, but before the coming of his Son Christ Jesus that wasn't the case, before that he was the God of Israel of Abraham Issac and Jacob. So in those times he was championing the Jews. So what? It's true, deal with it.

Homosexuality is wrong and no God doesn't have to accept everybody based on "who they are" because its a sin and therefore separates you from God and is a choice you make. Is it fun to hear? No but that doesn't make it untrue.

I'm sick of hearing that arugment, just because you don't agree with it doesn't make it untrue.

Just something I thought to share so come at me atheists and liberals and take your shots now...

In a sense you are absolutely correct. There is no reason why a creator God should be all-loving and all-just and all-tolerant. The Biblical God isn't as you have alluded to. God could be an amoral superbeing like Q from Star Trek.

What convinces me that the Bible is God in man's image , not the other way round, is because it is absurdly far-fetched and full of contradictions. It is exactly the type of book I would expect from semi-literate, superstitious, partially enlightened Middle Eastern men from the Bronze Age and Iron Age.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 5:29:10 AM
I don't believe that Christianity is true because it makes a wide array of claims that are tremendously vast in scope and utterly unlike ordinary experience. I think a large amount of convincing evidence is required to compensate for this, and so far I have not discovered more than a few vaguely plausible arguments in support of a generic personal creator. I also note that the debate over whether God takes place takes place primarily in philosophy, and I think philosophy is largely impotent at discovering objective truths about the world.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 5:43:09 AM

That is true of any issue at all. Most people hold the set of beliefs that they do because of second-hand authority, because it feels emotionally right to them, and because each new beliefs fits in well with the set of beliefs they already hold.

Perfectly understandable.

Or rather, that if God exists he is far from morally flawless and is in fact a genocidal maniac. Also see 2 Kings 2:24: "From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. "Get out of here, baldy!" they said. "Get out of here, baldy!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Yeah: http://www.biblegateway.com...

Nice.

Quite true. Just because God is evil doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

Yah, I would rather do something along these lines: http://www.theonion.com...

Yes, because it is completely fair to punish people based on their sexual preferences which a. They probably don't have any control over and b. Are an expression of love and sexuality that don't harm anyone as long as they take precautions (as with all sexual acts and plenty of non-sexual ones).

No, but the underlying reasons for rejecting it might make it untrue. Or at least highly unlikely.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 6:07:13 AM
At 12/23/2011 5:43:09 AM, Kinesis wrote:

That is true of any issue at all. Most people hold the set of beliefs that they do because of second-hand authority, because it feels emotionally right to them, and because each new beliefs fits in well with the set of beliefs they already hold.

Or rather, that if God exists he is far from morally flawless and is in fact a genocidal maniac. Also see 2 Kings 2:24: "From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. "Get out of here, baldy!" they said. "Get out of here, baldy!" He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the LORD. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys."

Yeah: http://www.biblegateway.com...

Nice.

Quite true. Just because God is evil doesn't mean he doesn't exist.

Yah, I would rather do something along these lines: http://www.theonion.com...

Yes, because it is completely fair to punish people based on their sexual preferences which a. They probably don't have any control over and b. Are an expression of love and sexuality that don't harm anyone as long as they take precautions (as with all sexual acts and plenty of non-sexual ones).

No, but the underlying reasons for rejecting it might make it untrue. Or at least highly unlikely.

TL;DR

Summary: God says it, I do it, that settles it.

Reply: God's a tw*t, f*ck him, that settles it.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 7:39:50 AM

How are them straw men faring?
caveat
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 8:11:11 AM

You know who else doesn't like it when they hear something they don't agree with?
Christians.

Flawed comparison is flawed.
I have insurmountable, empirical evidence of Obama being president. Your turn.

There is an art, it says, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. " Clearly, it is this second part, the missing, which presents the difficulties.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 1:46:42 AM
God doesn't exist just because you can't deal with the fact that there are no objective morals, meaning, purpose, or justice.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 2:19:07 AM
At 12/23/2011 5:29:10 AM, Kinesis wrote:
I don't believe that Christianity is true because it makes a wide array of claims that are tremendously vast in scope and utterly unlike ordinary experience. I think a large amount of convincing evidence is required to compensate for this, and so far I have not discovered more than a few vaguely plausible arguments in support of a generic personal creator. I also note that the debate over whether God takes place takes place primarily in philosophy, and I think philosophy is largely impotent at discovering objective truths about the world.

And what isn't a "largely impotent" way at discovering objective truths about the world?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
innomen
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 2:59:02 AM
Although I don't disagree with the OP, I think it's only partially correct. The biggest contention people have is the amount of power that is held by the masses who follow Christianity. No one cares about Hinduism or Shintoism, but a religion that carries with it an influence of political power will instantly have enemies. All you have to do is look at who is objecting to the religion and find the common denominator and it makes more sense.
Kinesis
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 6:16:20 AM
And what isn't a "largely impotent" way at discovering objective truths about the world?

Putting aside the various skeptical scenarios that attempt to undermine knowledge about anything, science. Without putting them aside, nothing as far as I can tell.