Jump to topic:

It is ok to not have all the answers.

tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 10:42:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Why is is it ok for Science to not have all the answers?

Why is it not ok for God to give all the answers?

I can answer most questions about my religion. However, there are some things that have not yet been revealed on to the children of men.

7 And to them will I areveal all bmysteries, yea, all the hidden mysteries of my kingdom from days of old, and for ages to come, will I make known unto them the good pleasure of my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom.

8 Yea, even the wonders of aeternity shall they know, and things to come will I show them, even the things of many generations.

9 And their awisdom shall be great, and their bunderstanding reach to heaven; and before them the wisdom of the wise shall cperish, and the understanding of the dprudent shall come to naught.

10 For by my aSpirit will I benlighten them, and by my cpower will I make known unto them the dsecrets of my ewill—yea, even those things which feye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 10:50:34 AM
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 10:51:05 AM
At 12/23/2011 10:42:59 AM, tyler90az wrote:

I can answer most questions about my religion. However, there are some things that have not yet been revealed on to the children of men.

7 And to them will I areveal all bmysteries, yea, all the hidden mysteries of my kingdom from days of old, and for ages to come, will I make known unto them the good pleasure of my will concerning all things pertaining to my kingdom.

8 Yea, even the wonders of aeternity shall they know, and things to come will I show them, even the things of many generations.

9 And their awisdom shall be great, and their bunderstanding reach to heaven; and before them the wisdom of the wise shall cperish, and the understanding of the dprudent shall come to naught.

10 For by my aSpirit will I benlighten them, and by my cpower will I make known unto them the dsecrets of my ewill—yea, even those things which feye has not seen, nor ear heard, nor yet entered into the heart of man.

You presume that God has all the answers, while Science is about learning about the external world that we do not know much about. The standard's strictness is your fault, not ours.'
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 10:52:47 AM
At 12/23/2011 10:51:05 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

You presume that God has all the answers, while Science is about learning about the external world that we do not know much about. The standard's strictness is your fault, not ours.'

God does have all the answers, however, they have not all been revealed on to us.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 11:30:30 AM
I have no idea what you are talking about.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 11:57:19 AM
At 12/23/2011 10:52:47 AM, tyler90az wrote:

God does have all the answers, however, they have not all been revealed on to us.

Let us consider modern day knowledge and good things which we take for granted in many parts of the western world:

Medicine - e.g. disease prevention & understanding of micro-organisms
Sanitation & personal hygiene
Science & Technlogy - e.g. computers, communication
Rational skepticism
Abolition of slavery
Equal rights for women
Equal rights for LGBT persons
Equal rights for the mentally and physically disabled
Contraception
Transport
An understanding of economics & wealth creation
Improved Justice system - e.g. principle of innocent until proved guilty
Therapies - e.g. counselling, coaching etc.
Arts & Entertainment - Literature, Theatre, film, television, Stand up comedy and satire

None of the above are perfect but they are discoveries which have genuinely improved or enriched people's lives. How many of them came from God and were suggested in the Bible?

The answer: Not a single one! Indeed Christianity has actively opposed many of these improvements. Don't you think it odd that a supposedly all-knowing God has not suggested anything useful in the several hundred years he was active on the Earth (whilst allegedly parting the Red Sea, performing miracles etc.)?

If God exists then I would say that nothing useful has been revealed to us. Which is not that different to saying God doesn't give a sh!t or doesn't even exist.

All there is in the sky is blind, pitiless indifference.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 8:23:20 PM
At 12/23/2011 11:30:30 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

Science does not have all the answers. God has not yet give all the answers. Yet, religion gets a mark against it for not having all the answers. Does that make sense? I think it is awfully hypocritical.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 8:25:12 PM
At 12/23/2011 11:57:19 AM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:
At 12/23/2011 10:52:47 AM, tyler90az wrote:

Let us consider modern day knowledge and good things which we take for granted in many parts of the western world:

Medicine - e.g. disease prevention & understanding of micro-organisms
Sanitation & personal hygiene
Science & Technlogy - e.g. computers, communication
Rational skepticism
Abolition of slavery
Equal rights for women
Equal rights for LGBT persons
Equal rights for the mentally and physically disabled
Contraception
Transport
An understanding of economics & wealth creation
Improved Justice system - e.g. principle of innocent until proved guilty
Therapies - e.g. counselling, coaching etc.
Arts & Entertainment - Literature, Theatre, film, television, Stand up comedy and satire

None of the above are perfect but they are discoveries which have genuinely improved or enriched people's lives. How many of them came from God and were suggested in the Bible?

The answer: Not a single one! Indeed Christianity has actively opposed many of these improvements. Don't you think it odd that a supposedly all-knowing God has not suggested anything useful in the several hundred years he was active on the Earth (whilst allegedly parting the Red Sea, performing miracles etc.)?

If God exists then I would say that nothing useful has been revealed to us. Which is not that different to saying God doesn't give a sh!t or doesn't even exist.

All there is in the sky is blind, pitiless indifference.

Hmmm, discovery of antibiotics...... accident or.... divine intervention?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:03:22 PM
At 12/23/2011 8:25:12 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Hmmm, discovery of antibiotics...... accident or.... divine intervention?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 9:48:16 PM
At 12/23/2011 8:23:20 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Science does not have all the answers. God has not yet give all the answers. Yet, religion gets a mark against it for not having all the answers. Does that make sense? I think it is awfully hypocritical.

Theists don't get a mark against them for not having answers. They get marks against them for not having answers and assuming that God did it.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/23/2011 10:04:31 PM

Because some answers are better than none.

You tell me. Maybe it would be boring or something.

Revealed? By who?
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 1:37:59 AM

Because it doesn't claim to have all the answers. It revises and corrects itself. It does not ask you to believe blindly. It proves itself.

Because it pretends to have all the answers and that one only need to have "faith" and then one will fine them. You ask people to be blind. Religion does not revise or correct itself. It asks you to believe in arcane dogma created when humans knew almost nothing about science and how anything worked.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 1:42:33 AM
At 12/23/2011 9:48:16 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:

Theists don't get a mark against them for not having answers. They get marks against them for not having answers and assuming that God did it.
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 5:57:14 AM

It depends how you envisage progress - self-raising crane (science) or skyhook (God)?

By definition, science cannot instantly have all the answers because it is a process whereby a knowledge-base is being expanded and self-corrected. By definition, God already has all the answers, otherwise he is a useless God. As far as I am aware your God hasn't drip-fed any useful information to us in the thousands of years that we've believed in him. Which is no different to him just being made up by ancient civilisations and not being real.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 8:46:07 AM
Does God not work through science or scientists?
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 8:54:25 AM
At 12/24/2011 8:46:07 AM, tyler90az wrote:

That depends on who you ask.

tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:06:50 AM
At 12/24/2011 8:54:25 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 8:46:07 AM, tyler90az wrote:

That depends on who you ask.

I was referring to those who point out the works of science, yet not accept Gods hand in the miraculous discoveries. Although God can reveals things personally, most of the time he does not. Blessings are wrought through mortals, onto all his children. Science and God do not have to be separated, for God is science.
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:11:40 AM
That presumes the existence of a god. If we have no reason to believe that there is a god then we can hardly believe that he works through anyone.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:13:47 AM
At 12/24/2011 9:11:40 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
That presumes the existence of a god. If we have no reason to believe that there is a god then we can hardly believe that he works through anyone.

I understand. Just pointing out that God and Science do not have to be separated.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:16:57 AM
At 12/23/2011 9:48:16 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:

That's is the point. Looking into the atheist world, you often agree that science holds the answer to the world. When asked, why is there so many controversies? You then answer, because we are a young race and still discovering things. In other for you, science has all the answers but most answers are yet to be discovered. Same goes for Christians like myself, God holds all the answers not yet revealed o the world. Adam and eve teaches us that Knowledge can be a dangerous tool.
wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:18:08 AM
That presumes the existence of a God. If we have no reason to believe that there is a god then we can hardly believe that he works through anyone.

At least show respect....
tornshoe92
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:25:05 AM
At 12/24/2011 9:18:08 AM, wierdman wrote:
That presumes the existence of a God. If we have no reason to believe that there is a god then we can hardly believe that he works through anyone.

While I can appreciate how much you care (I really can), it's not a matter of me being disrespectful. I'm using the term "god" as a noun, not a proper noun, so in my case capitalization is uncalled for.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:25:42 AM

Nope. You're assuming that the only question there is is of the Christian God. What about the gods of other religions?

wierdman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:28:38 AM
At 12/24/2011 9:25:42 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:

Nope. You're assuming that the only question there is is of the Christian God. What about the gods of other religions?

What do you mean?
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 11:51:56 AM
Yeah, I know it's ok not to have all the answers. That's why I don't automatically accept "God did it" as an answer to questions I don't know.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 11:58:16 AM
At 12/24/2011 11:51:56 AM, drafterman wrote:
Yeah, I know it's ok not to have all the answers. That's why I don't automatically accept "God did it" as an answer to questions I don't know.

This.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 1:14:25 PM

That is my point, atheists accept the fact that science did it. Yet, it is hard for them to believe that God is responsible for all.
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 7:45:37 PM
At 12/24/2011 1:14:25 PM, tyler90az wrote:

That is my point, atheists accept the fact that science did it. Yet, it is hard for them to believe that God is responsible for all.

Uhm.. science doesn't "do" anything, it is just our way of trying to explain what did happen, whatever the cause. Science doesn't purport to have all the answers and, in fact, a central tenet of science is the fact that it will never be finished.
DetectableNinja
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 7:50:34 PM
At 12/24/2011 7:45:37 PM, drafterman wrote:
At 12/24/2011 1:14:25 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Uhm.. science doesn't "do" anything, it is just our way of trying to explain what did happen, whatever the cause. Science doesn't purport to have all the answers and, in fact, a central tenet of science is the fact that it will never be finished.

Hear hear! Science is our understanding of the world around us. TECHNOLOGY is the application of that understanding.