Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

"4 Things A/theists need to stop saying"

DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:27:38 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
http://www.cracked.com...

What do you make of this? Agree? Disagree? Yea? Nay?
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
ApostateAbe
Posts: 225
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 10:15:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Here is a working link (last I checked):

http://www.cracked.com...

There are a bunch of things people need to stop saying, but you may as well ask people to increase their own IQs. Not gonna happen.
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 10:48:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 9:27:38 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
http://www.cracked.com...

What do you make of this? Agree? Disagree? Yea? Nay?

Why do believers, or for that matter atheists either, need to stop saying what they do?? Just because someone else might not like it?? I disagree.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 10:55:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I do not think the author was discussing removing free speach because someone might not like the statement.

I agree with him extremism and militantism on either side does nothing to advocate the real position.

I do view the overton window as quite effective though.

The LGBT community has shown the Overton window can be shifted.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
the point of OP?...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
medic0506
Posts: 13,450
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 11:22:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 10:55:42 AM, Gileandos wrote:
I do not think the author was discussing removing free speach because someone might not like the statement.

I agree with him extremism and militantism on either side does nothing to advocate the real position.

I do view the overton window as quite effective though.

The LGBT community has shown the Overton window can be shifted.

I agree that his point was partially getting to extremism, but is it really extreme to say that God helps those who help themselves?? I think he's writing about things that he personally doesn't like in either side's argument. Free speech does play into it though because of that right outweighing one's right to not be offended.

I watched alot of Glen Beck on Fox but haven't read the Overton Window so I'm not sure how that applies here.
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 12:24:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
the point of OP?...

lol, 000ike, you're a silly man.

I posted that on your topic because you weren't asking for opinions or discussion or solutions--you were just ranting. And not only that, but you were also disproven.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 12:27:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
"God is not great" is not just argued through blaming religious zealots, it's been argued through atrocities that were directly divinely inspired as described by the Bible. This phrase sticks with me.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 12:59:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 12:24:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
the point of OP?...

lol, 000ike, you're a silly man.

I posted that on your topic because you weren't asking for opinions or discussion or solutions--you were just ranting. And not only that, but you were also disproven.

lol, when one starts a thread and provides an opinion, it goes without saying that others are to discuss about it, do they agree do they disagree and why....One does not need to explicitly write "I want your opinion" for this fact to be understood. Show some honesty, you knew that already. Your post seemed more like a little jab because the alleged "rant" applied to you, than a legitimate quandary.

Would you have been satisfied if I put a little "Do you agree" at the end of that?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
DetectableNinja
Posts: 6,042
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 1:06:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 12:59:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:24:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
the point of OP?...

lol, 000ike, you're a silly man.

I posted that on your topic because you weren't asking for opinions or discussion or solutions--you were just ranting. And not only that, but you were also disproven.

lol, when one starts a thread and provides an opinion, it goes without saying that others are to discuss about it, do they agree do they disagree and why....One does not need to explicitly write "I want your opinion" for this fact to be understood. Show some honesty, you knew that already. Your post seemed more like a little jab because the alleged "rant" applied to you, than a legitimate quandary.

Would you have been satisfied if I put a little "Do you agree" at the end of that?

Ouch. The very core of my being has been shaken.

Anyway--'tisn't an excuse, but I DID post that last night. And, if you want honesty, then here it is: I honestly didn't understand what you were saying. You created similar posts before, and I didn't get the point.
Think'st thou heaven is such a glorious thing?
I tell thee, 'tis not half so fair as thou
Or any man that breathes on earth.

- Christopher Marlowe, Doctor Faustus
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 1:11:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 1:06:44 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:59:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:24:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
the point of OP?...

lol, 000ike, you're a silly man.

I posted that on your topic because you weren't asking for opinions or discussion or solutions--you were just ranting. And not only that, but you were also disproven.

lol, when one starts a thread and provides an opinion, it goes without saying that others are to discuss about it, do they agree do they disagree and why....One does not need to explicitly write "I want your opinion" for this fact to be understood. Show some honesty, you knew that already. Your post seemed more like a little jab because the alleged "rant" applied to you, than a legitimate quandary.

Would you have been satisfied if I put a little "Do you agree" at the end of that?

Ouch. The very core of my being has been shaken.

Anyway--'tisn't an excuse, but I DID post that last night. And, if you want honesty, then here it is: I honestly didn't understand what you were saying. You created similar posts before, and I didn't get the point.

Thats interesting, everyone else had no problem understanding it,...except for Sociopatho ofcourse, to whom the thread also applied.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 4:13:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 1:11:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 1:06:44 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:59:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:24:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
the point of OP?...

lol, 000ike, you're a silly man.

I posted that on your topic because you weren't asking for opinions or discussion or solutions--you were just ranting. And not only that, but you were also disproven.

lol, when one starts a thread and provides an opinion, it goes without saying that others are to discuss about it, do they agree do they disagree and why....One does not need to explicitly write "I want your opinion" for this fact to be understood. Show some honesty, you knew that already. Your post seemed more like a little jab because the alleged "rant" applied to you, than a legitimate quandary.

Would you have been satisfied if I put a little "Do you agree" at the end of that?

Ouch. The very core of my being has been shaken.

Anyway--'tisn't an excuse, but I DID post that last night. And, if you want honesty, then here it is: I honestly didn't understand what you were saying. You created similar posts before, and I didn't get the point.

Thats interesting, everyone else had no problem understanding it,...except for Sociopatho ofcourse, to whom the thread also applied.

Lol who ELSE do we remember who would make silly insulting nicknames about people he didnt like? Some of them were retardedarsenal and justcallmefucktard, i think.

Anyway, to the OP: I strongly agree with the article you've linked.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 4:50:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 4:13:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/24/2011 1:11:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 1:06:44 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:59:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:24:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
the point of OP?...

lol, 000ike, you're a silly man.

I posted that on your topic because you weren't asking for opinions or discussion or solutions--you were just ranting. And not only that, but you were also disproven.

lol, when one starts a thread and provides an opinion, it goes without saying that others are to discuss about it, do they agree do they disagree and why....One does not need to explicitly write "I want your opinion" for this fact to be understood. Show some honesty, you knew that already. Your post seemed more like a little jab because the alleged "rant" applied to you, than a legitimate quandary.

Would you have been satisfied if I put a little "Do you agree" at the end of that?

Ouch. The very core of my being has been shaken.

Anyway--'tisn't an excuse, but I DID post that last night. And, if you want honesty, then here it is: I honestly didn't understand what you were saying. You created similar posts before, and I didn't get the point.

Thats interesting, everyone else had no problem understanding it,...except for Sociopatho ofcourse, to whom the thread also applied.

Lol who ELSE do we remember who would make silly insulting nicknames about people he didnt like? Some of them were retardedarsenal and justcallmefucktard, i think.

Anyway, to the OP: I strongly agree with the article you've linked.

Yeah right, I insult him once after consistently calling me stupid and an idiot,...when I retaliate, THATS when you rear you head to shout "izbo"...give me a break. What a load of bull.

If you're going to take sides and denounce something how about you get all your information in order first. Stuff like this makes me so angry.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,334
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 4:57:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 4:50:13 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 4:13:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/24/2011 1:11:30 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 1:06:44 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:59:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/24/2011 12:24:55 PM, DetectableNinja wrote:
At 12/24/2011 11:07:14 AM, 000ike wrote:
the point of OP?...

lol, 000ike, you're a silly man.

I posted that on your topic because you weren't asking for opinions or discussion or solutions--you were just ranting. And not only that, but you were also disproven.

lol, when one starts a thread and provides an opinion, it goes without saying that others are to discuss about it, do they agree do they disagree and why....One does not need to explicitly write "I want your opinion" for this fact to be understood. Show some honesty, you knew that already. Your post seemed more like a little jab because the alleged "rant" applied to you, than a legitimate quandary.

Would you have been satisfied if I put a little "Do you agree" at the end of that?

Ouch. The very core of my being has been shaken.

Anyway--'tisn't an excuse, but I DID post that last night. And, if you want honesty, then here it is: I honestly didn't understand what you were saying. You created similar posts before, and I didn't get the point.

Thats interesting, everyone else had no problem understanding it,...except for Sociopatho ofcourse, to whom the thread also applied.

Lol who ELSE do we remember who would make silly insulting nicknames about people he didnt like? Some of them were retardedarsenal and justcallmefucktard, i think.

Anyway, to the OP: I strongly agree with the article you've linked.

Yeah right, I insult him once after consistently calling me stupid and an idiot,...when I retaliate, THATS when you rear you head to shout "izbo"...give me a break. What a load of bull.

If you're going to take sides and denounce something how about you get all your information in order first. Stuff like this makes me so angry.

I think you take this site WAY too seriously, or you're just being over dramatic for the hell of it. Regardless, I dont want to run the risk of upsetting someones Christmas Eve, so I wont poke any more fun at you (today at least >:) ) and apologize for my little jab.

Merry Christmas?
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/24/2011 9:59:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 9:27:38 AM, DetectableNinja wrote:
http://www.cracked.com...

What do you make of this? Agree? Disagree? Yea? Nay?

Agree

The most annoying atheist one mentioned in the article is the "God is a fairy tale for morons" one. The most annoying theist one is the "God hates X" one.

Ones I would add,

"We atheists use logic and reasoning"

"God told me to do it" This old stubborn, eccentric, former Mennonite, liberal lady from a church I used to go to loved to say how God divinely inspired her when making everyday decisions. "God tells me when to turn on the TV." (no Joke)
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/25/2011 3:15:58 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/24/2011 12:27:18 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
"God is not great" is not just argued through blaming religious zealots, it's been argued through atrocities that were directly divinely inspired as described by the Bible. This phrase sticks with me.

And the FSM example I use as an example of teaching "both sides" all the time, and ICU when someone says his irrationality is not a reason to not believe. The point of the article is when you get the internet extremists ranting and raving about their amazing intellect for using examples and analogies out of context.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...