Religious Path

tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 2:13:24 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is everyone's religious path?

When I was a child I went to various Christian churches.

Then I was an atheist for awhile.

Joined The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints February 2010.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 2:19:14 PM
At 12/27/2011 2:13:24 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Atheist. No religious path for me.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 2:24:21 PM

Not really an atheist, more of in limbo. I was apathetic towards spiritual things.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 2:45:46 PM
Went to an Episcopalian elementary school. I came out a non-practicing Christian.

Then I went to a Catholic school for two years. I came out agnostic.

That is my spiritual journey in a nutshell.
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 2:59:51 PM

I don't really have a spiritual path. My path is more and more discoveries of the wonders of science.

What religion did your parents have?
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 3:29:05 PM
At 12/27/2011 2:59:51 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

I don't really have a spiritual path. My path is more and more discoveries of the wonders of science.

They were both non-practicing Christians when I was growing up. Now they are active in a Christian church.

To those who are atheist or agnostic, have you ever flirted with spirituality? If not, why not?
UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 3:33:04 PM
To those who are atheist or agnostic, have you ever flirted with spirituality? If not, why not?

Eh... I've really always not cared.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 3:41:02 PM
Born and raised by a family that has deep roots in the church. Practically ever other family member is a preacher, pastor, or evangelist. Was very serious about religion, but was tormented by doubts. Had an experience in my mid teens after a missionary prayed over me.

From that point on, I was obsessed with religion, and my faith was renewed. I read the bible constantly, studied any subject I could relating to it, and in the process found that my understanding of scripture was so off base from what any church believed that I could no longer call mysef a Christian.

I continued to study the bible, but branched off into other religions. When I read the tao te ching, I was certain it was of God, because it clicked very well with my understanding. I tried to give Islam a chance, and almost converted, but I didn't like the sheik over at the mosque, and the Koran lost its flavor when I read it the second time.

So I did more studying into eastern philosophy, but nothing too in depth. I read into Buddha, and the tao te ching made even more sense. Eventually, I found what I was looking for by extrapolation of the eightfold path. I realized that yes, the source of suffering is a strong desire that effects ones mood. I realized that like Buddha said, tge root of this is ignorance. Ignorance of what? That all suffering can truly be linked to taking something more seriously than necessary. The biggest culprit? Taking oneself too seriously.

Later, I joined DDO, and during a philosophical discussion with Freedo, he was banging his head against the wall saying I was a Discordian. I read the Principa Discordia, and it instantly made sense due to my studies in eastern philosophy, and the revelations I've had.

I choose to put my religion as Discordian because I find it humorous and more meaningful than the credit it is given. It's actually a deeply philosophical work. Very similar to zen Buddhism, but doesn't come across as pretentious(because lets face it, Buddhism can come across as pretentious. Its adherents can be very serious).

But yeah, I don't follow any religion. I have my own connection, and I have very strong faith in it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 4:05:01 PM
At 12/27/2011 3:29:05 PM, tyler90az wrote:

They were both non-practicing Christians when I was growing up. Now they are active in a Christian church.

My parents were Christian, so I was religious when I was a kid. When I became a teenager, I began coming up with my own ideas and left Christianity. At first I was just non-religious like you were. But then I became interested in science and began investigating the stellar evolution, the big bang, quantum mechanics, relativity, abiogenesis, and especially the evolution of humans and life itself.

I came to a more fundamental understanding that many amazing things in our world can be explained naturally and there is no good evidence of a designer.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 4:13:47 PM
Was a Catholic Christian til I was 17 and went to church twice a week for the first 12 years. Then I went non-denominational Christian for a year.

Between the age of 18-23 I went:

Deist-> New Age->Pantheist->Buddhist Atheist.

Been Buddhist Atheist for 2 years.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 4:15:40 PM
At 12/27/2011 4:05:01 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

My parents were Christian, so I was religious when I was a kid. When I became a teenager, I began coming up with my own ideas and left Christianity. At first I was just non-religious like you were. But then I became interested in science and began investigating the stellar evolution, the big bang, quantum mechanics, relativity, abiogenesis, and especially the evolution of humans and life itself.

I came to a more fundamental understanding that many amazing things in our world can be explained naturally and there is no good evidence of a designer.

That is the great thing about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a lot of members believe in big bang and/or natural selection. Yet, they still fully believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ. We do not believe in ex nihilo, we believe God "created" the earth by organizing particles that have always existed. Who is to say God did not cause the Big Bang to occur? I think science is amazing, much like you do, however, I believe faith and science are interlinked.
Deathbeforedishonour
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 4:46:46 PM
Pentecostal Christian> Traditional Satanist> Laveyn Satanist> Pentecostal Christian

lol I tried trying different things, but it didn't help me as much as the Lord. :)
"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." ~ John 1:1

Matthew 10:22- "And ye shall be hated of all men for my name's sake: but he that endureth to the end shall be saved."
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 4:56:27 PM
At 12/27/2011 4:15:40 PM, tyler90az wrote:
At 12/27/2011 4:05:01 PM, Dan4reason wrote:

That is the great thing about The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints a lot of members believe in big bang and/or natural selection. Yet, they still fully believe in the gospel of Jesus Christ. We do not believe in ex nihilo, we believe God "created" the earth by organizing particles that have always existed. Who is to say God did not cause the Big Bang to occur? I think science is amazing, much like you do, however, I believe faith and science are interlinked.

I do admit that the idea of God creating the universe from previous matter makes a lot more sense than creating the universe out of nothing. There are Mormons who believe in evolution, actually about 22% of Mormons believe in evolution. This number is much lower than many other denominations.
http://pewforum.org...
The percent of Mormons who believe in evolution is comparable to the percent of fundamentalist Christian who believe in evolution.

The Mormon church has no official view on evolution as seen in this web-page.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

However I do have one question. Does the Mormon church take the garden of Eden thing literally?

I do not see science and faith as intertwined. Science has nothing to say about religion unless one of its explanations contradicts an explanation by a particular religion. If you are a person of faith, I guess you can philosophically intertwine faith and science, but that takes a little doing.

It is possible that a person actually created the universe starting the big bang, we just don't have any evidence. It seems as if as time goes on and on more and more is explained by science,leaving less and less for a designer to do. This doesn't disprove a designer, all it does is seriously question the necessity of a designer. I am not completely sure though. What do you think?
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 5:31:39 PM

I do admit that the idea of God creating the universe from previous matter makes a lot more sense than creating the universe out of nothing. There are Mormons who believe in evolution, actually about 22% of Mormons believe in evolution. This number is much lower than many other denominations.
http://pewforum.org...
The percent of Mormons who believe in evolution is comparable to the percent of fundamentalist Christian who believe in evolution.

Good info!

The Mormon church has no official view on evolution as seen in this web-page.
http://en.wikipedia.org...

That is true...

However I do have one question. Does the Mormon church take the garden of Eden thing literally?

We believe for the most parts it is literal, however, some parts are figurative.

If you truly want to learn what we believe here is a good link.
http://lds.org...

I do not see science and faith as intertwined. Science has nothing to say about religion unless one of its explanations contradicts an explanation by a particular religion. If you are a person of faith, I guess you can philosophically intertwine faith and science, but that takes a little doing.

Well I believe in God, therefore, faith an science must be intertwined, to truly understand science. God is responsible for all, therefore, God is science.

It is possible that a person actually created the universe starting the big bang, we just don't have any evidence. It seems as if as time goes on and on more and more is explained by science,leaving less and less for a designer to do. This doesn't disprove a designer, all it does is seriously question the necessity of a designer. I am not completely sure though. What do you think?

I have not really studied the Big Bang thoroughly, although I will. As of now I believe in intelligent design, I personally like the watchmaker analogy. It is hard for me to fathom that we just came to be out of nothing. All of this out of nothing? It just seems to complex.

I also look at at out conscience, why would we have a conscience?
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 5:44:48 PM
There are multiple big bang theories. Most of them actually imply or directly state that the universe has always been in some form or another.

I personally can't accept the idea of something coming from nothing. The thought that it has simply always been makes more sense to me.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 6:16:47 PM
Started out Agnostic until about 24 years old. Became a full-on Born Again after a very interesting moment that I attributed to God. Took it very seriously and fell in love with the Word. Studied on it relentlessly. That went on for about 4 years. Then the last 2 years my faith was waning for numerous reasons until it was completely gone from my life.

I've now come full circle, waiting for the mother ship to arrive with new instructions.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 7:12:19 PM
When I was little, my uncle tried to involve me in the Church of Latter Day Saints. Then, he became an agnostic mathematician and I moved across the country, with my father. He was and remains a devout Baptist, and involved me in the Church. However, the highly political and clearly ulterior climate of the Church turned me off to it and I went off to explore my beliefs for myself.

In studying various religions and science, I came to the realization that everything, no matter the basis, is a source of knowledge to some extent. So, I have decided to live my life in such a way that I thoroughly consider all things rather than filter them through an ideology or belief system. In this way, I create my own.

However, there's two things about Christianity that causes me to remain faithful to it. First, the religion seems most in-tune with human nature. The rest, in that regard, are almost idealistic. They don't accommodate human retardation.

Moreover, I have my personal relationship with God, which is complex and hard to explain. Suffice to say that, no matter how cynical I become or how objectively I try to perceive the things I've experienced, there's really no other attribution but a spiritual relationship that I can come up with. However, I've come to accept the Judeo-Christian Yahweh as sufficient as a point of reference.

On the other hand, I wouldn't say that my interpretation of God or the world is strictly Christian.

If religion and science can ever stand to be one, and we can consider it comprehensively from all vantages, then we will find true enlightenment.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 7:22:01 PM
At 12/27/2011 6:16:47 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:
I've now come full circle, waiting for the mother ship to arrive with new instructions.

Which do you prefer: New Age, Raelianism, or Scientology?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 7:35:10 PM
At 12/27/2011 7:22:01 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 12/27/2011 6:16:47 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Which do you prefer: New Age, Raelianism, or Scientology?

New Age isn't really so much a religion as it is a marketing gimmick aimed to corner the schmuck demographic.
BlessedCheesemaker
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 7:52:55 PM
Born into Seventh Day Adventism....grew up in the church with my father as a pastor. Joined seminary and realized I couldn't become a minister because there were too many inconsistencies in scripture and I had too many doubts. Moved from seventh-day adventism into Pentecostalism, joined the vineyard movement, then started researching my positions to argue against non believing friends. Found that much of what I rested my faith on was completely unreliable, and moved into agnosticism, then to atheism as an inevitable conclusion. While seeking I tried everything from Catholicism to LDS to Jehovah's witness to spiritualism and even toyed with Scientology as a kick. Eastern religion speaks to me in ways but understand that eastern religion traditionally seek to ponder, not necessarily to answer and my brain is an answer feeder.

I now seek understanding in science and humanism.
thett3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 8:06:38 PM
I guess you could call my parents non-practicing Christians when I was growing up, but that would be a bit of a stretch (I cant recall a time before I was around age 8 that my parents ever mentioned God or Christ). My father went through a "God" phase when I was around 8 and made us all go to Church at least weekly for around a year. I always hated it. If you would've asked me I would have said I was a Christian, but looking back i'm not so sure. Around 8th grade my friend re-introduced me to Christianity, and that's where I've been ever since.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
M.Torres
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 8:36:11 PM
Raised Catholic. Never liked going to Church as a kid, but I was always the most knowledgable in Sunday School and served as an Altar Boy for quite some time. As I got older (not much older), I quickly decided religion was not for me. Eventually ended up atheist - wasn't really anything that made me hate God or anything, I just reached the conclusion it was unlikely. Upon reaching my mid-teens I spent a lot of time reading about other religious systems, and didn't really find anything that clicked. It was actually a year or two ago when I discovered Deism, and the concept struck such a strong chord with me that I tried sticking with it for a while. However, although it satisfied me the most, it did not do so completely - but it was enough that I no longer identify as Atheist but as Agnostic (or Ignostic).
: At 11/28/2011 1:28:24 PM, BlackVoid wrote:
: M. Torres said it, so it must be right.

I'm an Apatheistic Ignostic. ... problem? ;D

I believe in the heart of the cards. .:DDO Duelist:.
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 11:35:36 PM
I was raised in the Church of Christ denomination, left it in my early teens and studied Zen Buddhism and Taoism out of curiosity. Came back to Christianity around two years ago but i'm not a follower of any denomination.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 11:39:18 PM
At 12/27/2011 11:35:36 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
I was raised in the Church of Christ denomination, left it in my early teens and studied Zen Buddhism and Taoism out of curiosity. Came back to Christianity around two years ago but i'm not a follower of any denomination.

On what basis did you conclude that Buddhism and Taoism are false. Feel free to make a new thread if its a long explanation.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/27/2011 11:53:29 PM
: At 12/27/2011 11:39:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

On what basis did you conclude that Buddhism and Taoism are false. Feel free to make a new thread if its a long explanation

Ah, this may get a tad confusing...To me, personally, I never came to a conclusion that Taoism and Buddhism are false. What I studied of Taoism, which was mainly establishing harmony and the Three Jewels, made me rethink who I was and how I thought of the world and universe as a whole. When I studied Zen Buddhism it was mainly meditations.
Sorry if that wasn't exactly what you were looking for.
wiploc
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 12:23:51 AM
I was atheist (without religion) as a child, as are we all. My parents were Christian, so I assumed that I would become Christian when I was old enough. Old enough for what? Old enough for someone to tell me the secret that made it believable, that made the bible distinguishable from Mother Goose.

Nobody ever told me. When I got tired of waiting, I went to the library. I read the ontological argument, the cosmological argument, and the teleological argument. Then I relaxed, no longer waiting, no longer expecting to one day be a Christian. Those were the famous arguments for theism, and they were stupid. They wouldn't fool a sixth-grader unless he was desperate to believe.

Christians wouldn't be using those arguments if they had anything better, so it was fair to assume that they had no good arguments. Therefore, I became content with my atheism.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 2:28:08 AM
At 12/27/2011 7:52:55 PM, BlessedCheesemaker wrote:
Eastern religion speaks to me in ways but understand that eastern religion traditionally seek to ponder, not necessarily to answer and my brain is an answer feeder.

False.

Eastern religions do indeed promote individual contemplation but they are not without answers. They merely ask that you confirm and realize the answers on your own rather than have them spoonfed without critical thought.

In fact, Eastern religions like Buddhism and Hinduism cover more topics and provide more answers than any Western religion including scientific Humanism.
-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 2:54:30 AM
At 12/27/2011 11:53:29 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
: At 12/27/2011 11:39:18 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

On what basis did you conclude that Buddhism and Taoism are false. Feel free to make a new thread if its a long explanation

Ah, this may get a tad confusing...To me, personally, I never came to a conclusion that Taoism and Buddhism are false. What I studied of Taoism, which was mainly establishing harmony and the Three Jewels, made me rethink who I was and how I thought of the world and universe as a whole. When I studied Zen Buddhism it was mainly meditations.
Sorry if that wasn't exactly what you were looking for.

Im glad that it at least made you rethink some fumdamental things about life.

Just curious, what did Christianity offer that Buddhism/Taoism couldnt?

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
Maikuru
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/28/2011 4:03:08 AM
I was raised Presbyterian but never really bought it. When I stripped away that faith, apatheism remained.
"You assume I wouldn't want to burn this whole place to the ground."
- lamerde

https://i.imgflip.com...