Total Posts:19|Showing Posts:1-19
Jump to topic:

God given up on us?

phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 8:58:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
(Also was that Deism I just wrote?)
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
Physik
Posts: 686
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:00:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 8:58:47 PM, phantom wrote:
(Also was that Deism I just wrote?)

Nope, that was theism.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:01:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 8:58:47 PM, phantom wrote:
(Also was that Deism I just wrote?)

Yup. Many of the founding fathers smile in their graves.
UnStupendousMan
Posts: 3,475
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:03:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:01:36 PM, UnStupendousMan wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:58:47 PM, phantom wrote:
(Also was that Deism I just wrote?)

Yup. Many of the founding fathers smile in their graves.

Actually, no. Just a convulted form of a combination of deism and theism.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:04:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 8:58:47 PM, phantom wrote:
(Also was that Deism I just wrote?)

lol no. What you wrote worked on the assumption that God used to hear our prayers, and God used to love each person individually in the first place, and that couldn't be further from Deism.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:11:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

Because those individuals deserved to die. It does not make God a tyrant to cause suffering to those who deserved it.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:14:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:04:04 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:58:47 PM, phantom wrote:
(Also was that Deism I just wrote?)

lol no. What you wrote worked on the assumption that God used to hear our prayers, and God used to love each person individually in the first place, and that couldn't be further from Deism.

There are so few deists on this site and I got most of my religious knowledge from here I'm not even sure exactly what they believe :/
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:16:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Oh and to the OP: That has always been my belief (well similar to that)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Physik
Posts: 686
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:17:00 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:11:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

Because those individuals deserved to die. It does not make God a tyrant to cause suffering to those who deserved it.

So every single member of the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites deserved to die?

Deut 7:1-4
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:18:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:17:00 PM, Physik wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:11:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

Because those individuals deserved to die. It does not make God a tyrant to cause suffering to those who deserved it.

So every single member of the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites deserved to die?

Deut 7:1-4

Every single human has committed transgressions against God, and thus deserves to die. That he does not destroy all of us shows a great deal of his benevolence to me.

Of course, I have an incredibly cynical and negative view of human nature, so I can fully understand if my explanation does not sit well with you.
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
Physik
Posts: 686
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:26:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:18:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:17:00 PM, Physik wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:11:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

Because those individuals deserved to die. It does not make God a tyrant to cause suffering to those who deserved it.

So every single member of the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites deserved to die?

Deut 7:1-4

Every single human has committed transgressions against God, and thus deserves to die. That he does not destroy all of us shows a great deal of his benevolence to me.

Of course, I have an incredibly cynical and negative view of human nature, so I can fully understand if my explanation does not sit well with you.

Well, if you're opinion on human nature is that negative, you would either have to believe in god or be the most extreme nihilist I've ever seen.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:26:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:11:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

Because those individuals deserved to die. It does not make God a tyrant to cause suffering to those who deserved it.

Transient crime = intransient punishment?....

Only one that has committed an eternity of wrongdoing should deserve an eternity of suffering. Of course, man does not live for eternity, so the concept of Hell is essentially draconian.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
phantom
Posts: 6,774
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:33:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

I never said I believed God was omnibenevolent. I'm actually undecided on the issue. Anyways to be honest I'm open to the belief there never was a flood. I do not hold an inerrant view of the Bible, especially with the earlier OT books. But besides that, this is subject to huge debate on whether God was justified in doing this. What did they lose from dying? Well if they hadn't died they would have gone the rest of their lives doing their sinful acts and in the end their fate would have ended up the same. Not only that but their children and their children's children would have suffered the same fate. In other words generations upon generations would have lived pointless lives only to have their soul blotted out at the end (as is my belief). Looking at it that way if the flood really did happen it may be thought of as justified, although I'm sure you could give some opposition to my conclusion.

Then there's the question of if God is all good or not, although this an explanation I'm opposed too, God does not necessarily have too be all good. In fact God could be totally evil for all you know. I don't really believe the latest of what I said, but I'm just pointing out a non good God could exist.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:35:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:26:42 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:11:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

Because those individuals deserved to die. It does not make God a tyrant to cause suffering to those who deserved it.

Transient crime = intransient punishment?....

Only one that has committed an eternity of wrongdoing should deserve an eternity of suffering. Of course, man does not live for eternity, so the concept of Hell is essentially draconian.

I dont believe in Hell (not as eternal, conscious torment anyway). I cannot reconcile such a place with any god. Perhaps I was ambiguous in my response, but I never mentioned Hell...
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
thett3
Posts: 14,371
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/29/2011 9:36:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 9:26:09 PM, Physik wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:18:45 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:17:00 PM, Physik wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:11:29 PM, thett3 wrote:
At 12/29/2011 9:08:17 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

Just wondering, how can you believe that God is both omnibenevolent and responsible for the death of millions in an arbitrary fit of rage? Mind you, this doesn't even touch on the scientific impossibility of a global flood, just logically speaking. A being that causes suffering to its creations, is that not a tyrant?

Because those individuals deserved to die. It does not make God a tyrant to cause suffering to those who deserved it.

So every single member of the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites deserved to die?

Deut 7:1-4

Every single human has committed transgressions against God, and thus deserves to die. That he does not destroy all of us shows a great deal of his benevolence to me.

Of course, I have an incredibly cynical and negative view of human nature, so I can fully understand if my explanation does not sit well with you.

Well, if you're opinion on human nature is that negative, you would either have to believe in god or be the most extreme nihilist I've ever seen.

It is...sort of. If you're interested we can PM about this, bcause I dont want to hijack phantoms thread :)
DDO Vice President

#StandwithBossy

#UnbanTheMadman

#BetOnThett

"Don't quote me, ever." -Max

"My name is max. I'm not a big fan of slacks"- Max rapping

"Walmart should have the opportunity to bribe a politician to it's agenda" -Max

"Thett, you're really good at convincing people you're a decent person"-tulle

"You fit the character of Regina George quite nicely"- Sam

: At 11/12/2016 11:49:40 PM, Raisor wrote:
: thett was right
MyVoiceInYourHead
Posts: 260
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 12:12:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 12/29/2011 8:57:15 PM, phantom wrote:
This idea just struck me. God regretted making us so much at the beginning that He created a flood to wipe out 99% of the human race. He did let us continue to live on however, instead of starting over. What if God gave up on earth some time in the past, or maybe even recently, and created a new people on another planet? Leaving us earthlings to our own doings. In other words what if God has left us? What if He doesn't even hear our prayers?

I don't agree with the above, but just a thought.

What you've just written is very similar to God not existing in the first place. Why create additional explanations without a shred of evidence from the real world?
vbaculum
Posts: 1,274
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 1:01:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I think it is more likely that Yahweh would have just established a web presence. You know, gotten a website, an email address and such. That why he could intervene on Earth at his convenience. Either way, web sites are easier to create than people. You just need to learn a little HTML. He already wrote a book so he has some writing skills. Even a simple Youtube channel would give him something close to a world-wide audience.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it