Great Latter-day Saint Beliefs

tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 5:44:35 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Tithing:
All Christian religions advise their members to pay tithing. It is part of being a disciple of Christ and building up the kingdom of God. Is everything not Gods anyway?

Abraham's grandson Jacob vowed to the Lord, "Of all thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."

9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
Proverbs 3:9

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not have a mandatory tithe in the sense nobody forces you to pay tithing, you can still attend church if you are not a tithe payer. However, you will now qualify for all the blessings of the Lord if you do not pay tithing.

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, … and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing.
Malachi 3:10

The Word of Wisdom provides us pleasure in life:

The Word of Wisdom is the Lords law of health; we are told to stay away from any addictive substance. Staying away from addictive substances provides much joy in are lives, since we are able to act in a free mind.

President Heber J. Grant said, "If you and I desire the blessings of life, of health, of vigor of body and mind; if we desire the destroying angel to pass us by, as he did in the days of the children of Israel, we must obey the Word of Wisdom; then God is bound, and the blessing shall come to us" (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Heber J. Grant [2002], 192).

Premortal Life:

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.
Abr. 3:26

"Before we were born, we lived with God in heaven as spirits. All of our spirit brothers and sisters were there, too—everyone who has lived or will live on earth including Jesus Christ. In this "pre-earth life," each of us was an individual with a divine nature and destiny. God gave all of us the gift of agency, or the right to choose for ourselves. Because He is the Father of our spirits, we call Him our Heavenly Father."
https://lds.org...

Spirit Prison:

In Latter-day Saint doctrine the "spirit prison" is both a condition and a place within the postearthly spirit world. One "imprisons" himself or herself through unbelief or through willful disobedience of God. In such circumstances, one's opportunities in the afterlife will be limited. Those who willfully rebel against the light and truth of the gospel and do not repent remain in this condition of imprisonment and suffer spiritual death, which is a condition of hell (Alma 12:16-18; D&C 76:36-37). Furthermore, since a fulness of joy is not possible without the resurrected body, the waiting in the spirit world for the resurrection is a type of imprisonment (D&C 45:17;93:33-34;138:16, 17, 50). However, through the Atonement of Jesus Christ all have a promise of resurrection, and thus of eventual release from this type of spirit prison, although the unrepentant will still be imprisoned by their unbelief (see Damnation).

Another more far-reaching definition of "spirit prison" is hell. In this sense, spirit prison is a temporary abode in the spirit world of those who either were untaught and unrighteous, or were disobedient to the gospel while in mortal life (cf. Alma 40:11-14; D&C 138:32).

As part of his redemptive mission, Jesus Christ visited the spirit world during the interlude between his own death and resurrection, and "from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness"-in other words, to the spirits in prison (D&C 138:30; cf. 1 Pet. 3:18-20;4:6). Thus, the gulf between paradise and hell that is spoken of in Jesus' parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31) was bridged by the Savior's ministry in the spirit world. This bridging allows interaction among the righteous and wicked spirits to the extent that the faithful present the gospel to "those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets" (D&C 138:32). Latter-day Saints believe that preaching the gospel in the spirit world continues today and will continue until every soul who wishes to do so and repents properly will be released from such imprisonment.

Repentance of imprisoned spirits opens the doors of the prison, enabling them to loose themselves from the spiritual darkness of unbelief, ignorance, and sin. As they accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and cast off their sins, the repentant are able to break the chains of hell and dwell with the righteous in paradise.

http://eom.byu.edu...

Modern Revelation

Were there not prophets in the Bible? Why is it so hard to believe prophets on earth today? Are we less deserving of prophets, then people of old? Does it not make sense that prophets would be on earth during all times?

Another thing to remember is revelation is not just for a prophet. Every member of the church who has received the Holy Ghost, is entitled to personal revelation. You can receive revelation on personal, family or any other matters you desire. It truly is a great thing to have; you have a guide throughout life.

"We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." [A of F 1:9]

Jesus Visited the Americas

Why is it hard to believe Jesus would visit all the people of the earth? Would a loving God only visit some of his children?

3 Nephi 11: 7-12
7 Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him.
8 And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven; and he was clothed in a white robe; and he came down and stood in the midst of them; and the eyes of the whole multitude were turned upon him, and they durst not open their mouths, even one to another, and wist not what it meant, for they thought it was an angel that had appeared unto them.
9 And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:
10 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
11 And behold, I am the alight and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.
12 And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words the whole multitude fell to the earth; for they remembered that it had been prophesied among them that Christ should show himself unto them after his ascension into heaven.

I will get back with more later! As always don't believe anything I say, just read The Book of Mormon if you want to find out the truth.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 5:54:34 PM
Did you ever address my statement where I explained it was not where we agree that is at odds but where we disagree?

Concept:
I cannot have fellowship with a pedophile just because he and I are both capitalist?
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:01:18 PM
At 12/30/2011 5:54:34 PM, Gileandos wrote:
Did you ever address my statement where I explained it was not where we agree that is at odds but where we disagree?

Concept:
I cannot have fellowship with a pedophile just because he and I are both capitalist?

Who gives those Christian churches authority to decide who are followers of Jesus Christ? Especially when every Christian denomination has different beliefs.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:04:11 PM
At 12/30/2011 6:01:18 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Concept:

Who gives those Christian churches authority to decide who are followers of Jesus Christ? Especially when every Christian denomination has different beliefs.

Who gives the government the authority to decide that pedophiles should be jailed immediately?

The Bishops of Christianity derive their authority from God himself.
The denominations rarely defer on a point of doctrine. Outside of Calvinists, Christianity agrees 97% theologically. As you can see it is the 3% where we divide.

LDS agrees with Mainstream Christian Theology at roughly 30%.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:06:26 PM
At 12/30/2011 6:04:11 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Concept:

Who gives the government the authority to decide that pedophiles should be jailed immediately?

The denominations rarely defer on a point of doctrine. Outside of Calvinists, Christianity agrees 97% theologically. As you can see it is the 3% where we divide.

Making up statistics again?

What is the root word of Christian?
Dan4reason
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:11:10 PM
At 12/30/2011 5:44:35 PM, tyler90az wrote:
Tithing:
All Christian religions advise their members to pay tithing. It is part of being a disciple of Christ and building up the kingdom of God. Is everything not Gods anyway?

Abraham's grandson Jacob vowed to the Lord, "Of all thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee."

9 Honour the Lord with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase:
Proverbs 3:9

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints does not have a mandatory tithe in the sense nobody forces you to pay tithing, you can still attend church if you are not a tithe payer. However, you will now qualify for all the blessings of the Lord if you do not pay tithing.

Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, … and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing.
Malachi 3:10

I believe in a progressive tithing system. And 10% of your income is way too much. 5% is better.

The Word of Wisdom is the Lords law of health; we are told to stay away from any addictive substance. Staying away from addictive substances provides much joy in are lives, since we are able to act in a free mind.

President Heber J. Grant said, "If you and I desire the blessings of life, of health, of vigor of body and mind; if we desire the destroying angel to pass us by, as he did in the days of the children of Israel, we must obey the Word of Wisdom; then God is bound, and the blessing shall come to us" (Teachings of Presidents of the Church: Heber J. Grant [2002], 192).

What's wrong with coffee and tea. And where are the parts about too much fat, sugar, energy drinks, drugs, etc?

I will get back with more later! As always don't believe anything I say, just read The Book of Mormon if you want to find out the truth.

I did a wiki on the book of mormon. Look what I found.
http://en.wikipedia.org...
"The lack of correlation between locations described in the Book of Mormon and American archaeological sites.[92]

References to animals, plants, metals and technologies in the Book of Mormon that archaeological or scientific studies have found no evidence of in post-Pleistocene, pre-Columbian America, frequently referred to as anachronisms.[93] Items typically listed include cattle,[94] horses,[95][96] asses,[95][97] oxen,[95] sheep, swine, goats,[98] elephants,[99][100] wheat, steel,[101] brass, chains, iron, scimitars, and chariots.[102]

The lack of linguistic connection between any Native American languages and Near Eastern languages.[103]

The lack of DNA evidence linking any Native American group to the ancient Near East.[104]"
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:17:42 PM
So, kind of unrelated, but I'm still waiting for a response in your last Morman propaganda thread.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:19:08 PM
At 12/30/2011 6:17:42 PM, Physik wrote:
So, kind of unrelated, but I'm still waiting for a response in your last Morman propaganda thread.

I mean this one - http://www.debate.org...

My bad, didn't see you had others.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:19:56 PM
you proved the point I made that you said the forum wouldn't WTF
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 6:21:57 PM
At 12/30/2011 6:19:56 PM, 16kadams wrote:
you proved the point I made that you said the forum wouldn't WTF

?

rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/30/2011 11:22:47 PM
At 12/30/2011 5:44:35 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Religion is the opiate of the masses. You drug yourselves with delusions. Until you can prove that your mind is clearer since you don't drink coffee or do drugs, this is a moot point. Unless you are an addict, one's mind is only affected by the drug for a very limited time. Plus drugs affect everyone differently. You still take drugs. Do you take any medications? Those are drugs, and many of them will "make your mind unclear."

Premortal Life:

26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.
Abr. 3:26

"Before we were born, we lived with God in heaven as spirits. All of our spirit brothers and sisters were there, too—everyone who has lived or will live on earth including Jesus Christ. In this "pre-earth life," each of us was an individual with a divine nature and destiny. God gave all of us the gift of agency, or the right to choose for ourselves. Because He is the Father of our spirits, we call Him our Heavenly Father."
https://lds.org...

Spirit Prison:

In Latter-day Saint doctrine the "spirit prison" is both a condition and a place within the postearthly spirit world. One "imprisons" himself or herself through unbelief or through willful disobedience of God. In such circumstances, one's opportunities in the afterlife will be limited. Those who willfully rebel against the light and truth of the gospel and do not repent remain in this condition of imprisonment and suffer spiritual death, which is a condition of hell (Alma 12:16-18; D&C 76:36-37). Furthermore, since a fulness of joy is not possible without the resurrected body, the waiting in the spirit world for the resurrection is a type of imprisonment (D&C 45:17;93:33-34;138:16, 17, 50). However, through the Atonement of Jesus Christ all have a promise of resurrection, and thus of eventual release from this type of spirit prison, although the unrepentant will still be imprisoned by their unbelief (see Damnation).

Another more far-reaching definition of "spirit prison" is hell. In this sense, spirit prison is a temporary abode in the spirit world of those who either were untaught and unrighteous, or were disobedient to the gospel while in mortal life (cf. Alma 40:11-14; D&C 138:32).

As part of his redemptive mission, Jesus Christ visited the spirit world during the interlude between his own death and resurrection, and "from among the righteous, he organized his forces and appointed messengers, clothed with power and authority, and commissioned them to go forth and carry the light of the gospel to them that were in darkness"-in other words, to the spirits in prison (D&C 138:30; cf. 1 Pet. 3:18-20;4:6). Thus, the gulf between paradise and hell that is spoken of in Jesus' parable of the rich man and Lazarus (Luke 16:19-31) was bridged by the Savior's ministry in the spirit world. This bridging allows interaction among the righteous and wicked spirits to the extent that the faithful present the gospel to "those who had died in their sins, without a knowledge of the truth, or in transgression, having rejected the prophets" (D&C 138:32). Latter-day Saints believe that preaching the gospel in the spirit world continues today and will continue until every soul who wishes to do so and repents properly will be released from such imprisonment.

Repentance of imprisoned spirits opens the doors of the prison, enabling them to loose themselves from the spiritual darkness of unbelief, ignorance, and sin. As they accept the gospel of Jesus Christ and cast off their sins, the repentant are able to break the chains of hell and dwell with the righteous in paradise.

http://eom.byu.edu...

Modern Revelation

Were there not prophets in the Bible? Why is it so hard to believe prophets on earth today? Are we less deserving of prophets, then people of old? Does it not make sense that prophets would be on earth during all times?

Because back then people did not know much about the universe and how it worked. Now that we do, it is extremely hard to seem credible since prophets' claims don't make sense.

Another thing to remember is revelation is not just for a prophet. Every member of the church who has received the Holy Ghost, is entitled to personal revelation. You can receive revelation on personal, family or any other matters you desire. It truly is a great thing to have; you have a guide throughout life.

"We believe all that God has revealed, all that He does now reveal, and we believe that He will yet reveal many great and important things pertaining to the Kingdom of God." [A of F 1:9]

Jesus Visited the Americas

Why is it hard to believe Jesus would visit all the people of the earth? Would a loving God only visit some of his children?

Because there is absolutely no anthropological evidence to say that he did. It is well known who the religions of the Native Americans was. The Native Americans also had strong oral tradition and made lots of paintings. There would be some record of Jesus's visit in their oral traditions or in their visual artwork. So believing that Jesus visited the Americas requires ignoring history and science.

3 Nephi 11: 7-12
7 Behold my Beloved Son, in whom I am well pleased, in whom I have glorified my name—hear ye him.
8 And it came to pass, as they understood they cast their eyes up again towards heaven; and behold, they saw a Man descending out of heaven; and he was clothed in a white robe; and he came down and stood in the midst of them; and the eyes of the whole multitude were turned upon him, and they durst not open their mouths, even one to another, and wist not what it meant, for they thought it was an angel that had appeared unto them.
9 And it came to pass that he stretched forth his hand and spake unto the people, saying:
10 Behold, I am Jesus Christ, whom the prophets testified shall come into the world.
11 And behold, I am the alight and the life of the world; and I have drunk out of that bitter cup which the Father hath given me, and have glorified the Father in taking upon me the sins of the world, in the which I have suffered the will of the Father in all things from the beginning.
12 And it came to pass that when Jesus had spoken these words the whole multitude fell to the earth; for they remembered that it had been prophesied among them that Christ should show himself unto them after his ascension into heaven.

How many times do I have to tell you that "feelings" are very unreliable?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 12:21:59 PM
At 12/30/2011 6:06:26 PM, tyler90az wrote:

Concept:

Not at all.

Look at the most broad points of doctrines and equate what you hold to be true:

- Jesus is God, having the shared divine essence
- The Holy Spirit is God having the shared divine essence.
- The father is God (here you kind of agree, but I will give you full point for statistics)
God is 3 persons in one divine essence.
God is the omnimax being and there is no other like him.
God is Holy. (Here you agree?)

Statistics recognizes in just these core tenets you agree with 2/6 or 1/3. It gets worse the more of the Nicean Creed that all of Christendom agrees with.
I am being kind to say 30%.

Now realize even though those claims were brief, they have an expanded meaning. So you cannot claim you agree with those words and still not agree with the concepts behind the words.

Greek Christos or Messiah or Savior of God, Specifically as it relates the Judaic Messiah.

You do not follow the concept of the Judaic Messiah nor the Christian Messiah.
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 1:32:39 PM
At 12/31/2011 12:21:59 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Concept:

Not at all.

- The father is God (here you kind of agree, but I will give you full point for statistics)

Statistics recognizes in just these core tenets you agree with 2/6 or 1/3. It gets worse the more of the Nicean Creed that all of Christendom agrees with.

Now realize even though those claims were brief, they have an expanded meaning. So you cannot claim you agree with those words and still not agree with the concepts behind the words.

Greek Christos or Messiah or Savior of God, Specifically as it relates the Judaic Messiah.

This is all ridiculous. Even you Christians can't agree with each other and yet you both believe that Jesus was God! What chance have the rest of us got to ascertain the "true" meaning of the Bible when you lot aren't even singing from the same hymn sheet? God should have written a tighter script!
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
12/31/2011 2:39:42 PM
Christians.....One God
LDS.....Bunches of gods, including every male

Christians......Jesus is the Christ
LDS.....Jesus is Satan's brother

Christians.....Neither slave nor free, woman or man,all equal
LDS......a Man is better than a woman, White is better than any other color, and, until recently, Black is evil

Christians....one heaven
LDS....Many planets to be populated after death

Christians......Bible, either Septuagint or old Hebrew
LDS....Book of Mormon

Christians and Jews.....Archeology, literary and historical information supports Scripture
LDS.....No supporting evidence

Christians.....Murder is a Sin
LDS.....Murder is Blood atonement

Christians....Jesus killed for claiming to be a King
LDS...Smith killed after a paper published the truth, he burned down the building, and Free Speech was preferred
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 12:03:30 AM
At 12/31/2011 2:39:42 PM, logicrules wrote:
Christians.....One God

We believe in God the father, which no one will surpass. Just like any other Christian religion.......

We believe Jesus is the Christ......We also believe that anybody created by God is brothers and sisters. Does that not make sense? Your parents created you and your brother, therefore your brothers.

LDS......a Man is better than a woman, White is better than any other color, and, until recently, Black is evil

Not true, we have women and non-white men that will testify that the above statement is false.

Christians....one heaven

We believe in one heaven ran by God the father..... Just like there is one earth, with many different countries.

LDS....Book of Mormon

We believe that all our cannon including The Book of Mormon stand as a witness of Jesus Christ. We invite you and anyone to test The Book of Mormon, read it and ask of God if it is true.

Christians and Jews.....Archeology, literary and historical information supports Scripture

There is some supporting evidence.... Also the biggest piece of evidence is testing The Book of Mormon yourself.

We believe in the Ten Commandments also.

LDS...Smith killed after a paper published the truth, he burned down the building, and Free Speech was preferred

Jesus Christ willfully atoned for all the sins of the world.

Joseph Smith was a martyr, killed by those set against the work of God. In no way is he even close to what Jesus Christ is. We worship Jesus Christ as a God, not Joseph Smith.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 12:13:55 AM
I think that John Smith just made up a bunch of malarky...

At least Christians and Jews sort of back each other up... he's right there's really no evidence supporting Mormonism over other branches of Christianity or religion for that matter...
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 12:35:22 AM
Is this true?

The LDS church (Mormonism) says that the God (Elohim) to whom we are accountable had a father god, then grew up on a planet as a man, and progressed to become a god himself. Many other religions have claimed that gods beget other gods.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:00:44 AM
I think this pretty much sums it up.

http://theinternetisterrible.com...?

Kinda poetic.

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:06:34 AM
At 1/1/2012 1:00:44 AM, Physik wrote:

Kinda poetic.

lol, I really hate to rag on a fellow Christian like that but Mormonism is just weird and it taints the purity of Christianity with American junk...
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:10:58 AM
At 1/1/2012 1:06:34 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Kinda poetic.

lol, I really hate to rag on a fellow Christian like that but Mormonism is just weird and it taints the purity of Christianity with American junk...

Don't get me wrong, I still think symbolic cannibalism and all that other christian jazz is weird. But Mormonism just takes it to the next level...

ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:13:26 AM
At 1/1/2012 1:10:58 AM, Physik wrote:
At 1/1/2012 1:06:34 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Kinda poetic.

Don't get me wrong, I still think symbolic cannibalism and all that other christian jazz is weird. But Mormonism just takes it to the next level...

Agreed.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 5:05:17 AM
At 1/1/2012 12:03:30 AM, tyler90az wrote:
At 12/31/2011 2:39:42 PM, logicrules wrote:
Christians.....One God

We believe in God the father, which no one will surpass. Just like any other Christian religion.......

We believe Jesus is the Christ......We also believe that anybody created by God is brothers and sisters. Does that not make sense? Your parents created you and your brother, therefore your brothers.

Not true, we have women and non-white men that will testify that the above statement is false.

Christians....one heaven

We believe in one heaven ran by God the father..... Just like there is one earth, with many different countries.

LDS....Book of Mormon

We believe that all our cannon including The Book of Mormon stand as a witness of Jesus Christ. We invite you and anyone to test The Book of Mormon, read it and ask of God if it is true.

There is some supporting evidence.... Also the biggest piece of evidence is testing The Book of Mormon yourself.

We believe in the Ten Commandments also.

Jesus Christ willfully atoned for all the sins of the world.

Joseph Smith was a martyr, killed by those set against the work of God. In no way is he even close to what Jesus Christ is. We worship Jesus Christ as a God, not Joseph Smith.

LOL LDS nonsense,,,,you do not believe that Jesus God, You do think Murder is OK, and Smith was not martyred he was killed for opposing free speech. If thats a martyr then LDS oppses the Constitution as well.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:48:41 AM

Once again this is Christ restored church, it is based off his church when he was on earth.

I would say we are 6/6, we believe that they work in sync together. Take for instance a construction crew, they all have the same purpose, just different people on the crew.

Godhead
"The true doctrine of the Godhead was lost in the apostasy that followed the Savior's mortal ministry and the deaths of His Apostles. This doctrine began to be restored when 14-year-old Joseph Smith received his First Vision (see Joseph Smith—History 1:17). From the Prophet's account of the First Vision and from his other teachings, we know that the members of the Godhead are three separate beings. The Father and the Son have tangible bodies of flesh and bones, and the Holy Ghost is a personage of spirit (see D&C 130:22).

Although the members of the Godhead are distinct beings with distinct roles, they are one in purpose and doctrine. They are perfectly united in bringing to pass Heavenly Father's divine plan of salvation. "

http://lds.org...

16 And Jesus, when he was abaptized, went up bstraightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a ddove, and lighting upon him:

17 And lo a avoice from heaven, saying, This is my beloved cSon, in whom I am well pleased.
Matthew 3:16-17

How is that possible, if the trinity is true?

55 But he, being full of the aHoly Ghost, looked up stedfastly into heaven, and saw the glory of God, and Jesus standing on the fright hand of God,

56 And said, Behold, I asee the heavens bopened, and the Son of man standing on the right dhand of God.
Acts 7:55-56

How is that possible with the trinity?
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 10:56:44 AM

If the root word of Christian is Christ, then it logically follows anybody who follows Christ is Christian. Is that not correct? I want anyone who sees this to answer with an explanation.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:50:26 AM
At 12/31/2011 1:32:39 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:

Concept:

Not at all.

This is all ridiculous. Even you Christians can't agree with each other and yet you both believe that Jesus was God! What chance have the rest of us got to ascertain the "true" meaning of the Bible when you lot aren't even singing from the same hymn sheet? God should have written a tighter script!

I have no idea why you have set aside the use of logic and reason.
Do you complain because science agrees less than Christianity? Of course not.

It is illogical to sit around whining because there are fraudulent scientists, uneducated scientists, poor experimental scientists, profit mongering and showboating scientists.
Science has the sole distinction admist any other field, in that science has been the least consistent view and most argumentative in History.

It would be sophmoric to complain in such away against any viewpoint.
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 11:54:12 AM
It is illogical to sit around whining because there are fraudulent scientists, uneducated scientists, poor experimental scientists, profit mongering and showboating scientists.
Science has the sole distinction admist any other field, in that science has been the least consistent view and most argumentative in History.

Great post! I think we have a lot more to agree on then to disagree on.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 12:11:03 PM
Joe Smith and Young were clear that LDS was NOT CHRISTIAN. Only when the LDS apostles determined to get into national politics did they change it. Seems ol Joe was wrong about almost everything.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 1:30:45 PM
At 1/1/2012 11:54:12 AM, tyler90az wrote:

Great post! I think we have a lot more to agree on then to disagree on.

I agree that we agree on probably most things.

But again where we agree is not at issue.

You and I could agree with 99% of all things with a pedophile. However, we simply cannot agree with his lifestyle of pedophilia and that lifestyle will bar any fellowship.

That person deserves to be executed. The only reason we do not execute these people is we cannot be certain child accusers are fundamentally able to give an accurate accusation.

But yes we will 99% agree that atheists and agnostics since the 60's continue to walk away from using logic and reason.

Which I am happy to say only makes our viewpoint stronger.
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/1/2012 2:12:11 PM
At 1/1/2012 11:50:26 AM, Gileandos wrote:
At 12/31/2011 1:32:39 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:

Concept:

Not at all.

I have no idea why you have set aside the use of logic and reason.
Do you complain because science agrees less than Christianity? Of course not.

So you have reached all your spiritual conclusions by using pure reason and logic after having fed in reliable data and evidence? Nothing to do with your upbringing or where you happened to be born? Don't make me LOL.

This is not comparing like with like. Science is basically flawed humans trying to understand the world through hypothesis, experimentation and Theory, whilst trying to find their conclusions wrong with peer review. Religion in many respects has an easier time because adherents approach their apologetics with confirmation bias in favour of their chosen belief. They don't want to prove it wrong because they have a vested interest in keeping the cosmic Ponzi scheme going.

The uncertainty of the scientific method is totally different to the hypothesis that an all-powerful, all-knowing God has set the rules for the entire universal game but can't find a reliable, coherent way of imparting information that is of paramount importance to his creations so they have to jump through an endless number of philosophical hoops to gain entry to his eternal House Party Bliss instead of visiting Old Nick's Seedy Nightclub for some abuse. I say again - what's wrong with telepathy? Why this ambiguous, cloak and dagger shenanigans? Why can't God be upfront? What's 'he afraid of? Finding out that he never existed perhaps?