Jump to topic:

Religious Science

Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 8:04:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions about The Church of Religious Science. Me and my wife are thinking about checking it out. They have a local church near our house.

If any of you have read the book "The Science of Mind" by Ernest Holmes... I would like to hear your thoughts on that as well. It is the book that started the religious movement/denomination.
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 12:05:13 PM
At 1/4/2012 8:04:15 AM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
I would like to hear some thoughts and opinions about The Church of Religious Science. Me and my wife are thinking about checking it out. They have a local church near our house.

If any of you have read the book "The Science of Mind" by Ernest Holmes... I would like to hear your thoughts on that as well. It is the book that started the religious movement/denomination.

No such thing as religious science.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 12:30:35 PM
Never heard of it. Though I'd recommend deciding for yourself in any case. Peoples opinions are usually biased towards their own view especially when it comes to religion. I'll look into it a bit and post some thoughts.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 12:56:00 PM
Looking over it, it seems like basic new age pantheism. The beliefs of the church seem harmless enough (I don't agree with doctrines like the soul that they espouse). On first glance, the church of religious science seems like a watered down version of hard deism. Most of the beliefs seem more poetic than religious which would be more appealing to me than an actual religion. My advice would be to try it out and see if it works best for your individual personality. You might think it too new agey and move to harder deism or not "religious" enough and move to some sort of theistic religion. Bottom line is it's up to you and you alone.
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
Cleopatra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 12:56:29 PM
Religious Science? Sounds like a contradiction in terms to me.
I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."
-Harriet Tubman-
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 1:01:35 PM
At 1/4/2012 12:05:13 PM, tkubok wrote:

False lots of science promotes the existence of a god...
drafterman
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 1:04:43 PM
At 1/4/2012 1:01:35 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Name one scientific theory that references a deity.
Cleopatra
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 1:05:59 PM

Science may prove the existence of a Creator or maybe it doesn't but religion certainly is not a science, in fact some of it's tenents are laughable from the latters point of view.
I freed a thousand slaves I could have freed a thousand more if only they knew they were slaves."
-Harriet Tubman-
socialpinko
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 1:10:42 PM
At 1/4/2012 1:05:59 PM, Cleopatra wrote:

Science may prove the existence of a Creator or maybe it doesn't but religion certainly is not a science, in fact some of it's tenents are laughable from the latters point of view.

From what I've seen, the church of religious science uses religion as more if a synonym for reverence of nature. I wouldn't call it a religion in the traditional sense. On their beliefs, I think science only has something to say for te existence of a necessary agent and using ones mind to improve their physical well being (which isn't exclusive to religion). The church of religious science seems to be more of an organized form of pantheism.
:
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 2:53:23 PM

False, science neither promotes nor denies the existance of a God.

And so, again, there is no such thing as religious science.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:02:19 AM
I read the Wikipedia article http://en.wikipedia.org.... It seems to be sort of a blend of one-third Christianity with two-thirds Buddhism and a pinch of pantheism. It doesn't have a conventional deity as such, but rather "God is not ... a person, but a Universal Presence ... already in our own soul, already operating through our own consciousness."

Holmes, the founder, didn't envision it as being a church, but rather an organization of philosophy teaching centers.

I don't know anything beyond what Wiki says, but it seems harmless to me.
Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 11:28:44 AM
Thank you all for your thoughts. Me and my wife have decided that the actual church sessions are a bit too much like Christianity for our taste. We both stand more on the New Age side of spirituality and will continue to look for an orginization of people to involve ourself with here in the Chicagoland area. If anyone knows of such a group, please write me. Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated by both me and my wife!

Thank you for your time and energy.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 11:35:09 AM
At 1/4/2012 12:56:29 PM, Cleopatra wrote:

I see your Harriet Tubman signature. A powerful woman of God.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 11:59:37 AM
At 1/9/2012 11:35:09 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Newton was a powerful man of God. Even the founder of modern science had his flaws.
RoyLatham
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 3:59:17 PM
At 1/9/2012 11:28:44 AM, Justin_Thiel wrote:
Thank you all for your thoughts. Me and my wife have decided that the actual church sessions are a bit too much like Christianity for our taste. We both stand more on the New Age side of spirituality and will continue to look for an orginization of people to involve ourself with here in the Chicagoland area. If anyone knows of such a group, please write me. Your suggestion will be greatly appreciated by both me and my wife!

You might take a look at Buddhism. It has many variants.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 4:26:50 PM
At 1/9/2012 11:59:37 AM, Ramshutu wrote:
At 1/9/2012 11:35:09 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Newton was a powerful man of God. Even the founder of modern science had his flaws.

Newton had flaws? I am unaware of them.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 4:27:12 PM
At 1/9/2012 11:28:44 AM, Justin_Thiel wrote:

I would suggest a Buddhist temple, especially given that Buddhism is attractive to New Agers. But then again, it was Buddhism which led me away from New Age.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat