Total Posts:11|Showing Posts:1-11
Jump to topic:

Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral

GreatestIam
Posts: 1,723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/4/2012 2:47:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical?

Over the ages, a number of pagan religions have based their theology around the notion that God needs or wants sacrifices. This phenomena has been recorded on many continents from various tribes and peoples who had no knowledge of each other.

I find it strange that God, any God, would be pleased or able to be bribed by some sacrifice, be it human or not. Seems like it is just humans thinking they can somehow change God's mind about anything from the weather, the forgiveness of sin or a better crop.

Can God be bribed by accepting burnt offerings such as virgins being thrown into volcanoes, meat or crops?

Can God be bought off so cheaply?

What of Jesus our brother?

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

If Christianity is based on human sacrifice, it seems to me that that would be immoral and unethical. It would mean that the innocent was murdered while the guilty were allowed to walk away. That is not good justice. Good justice says that the guilty pay and the innocent go free.

Is religious human sacrifice moral, ethical and good justice?

Regards
DL
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:16:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Human sacrifice has a certain logic to it. If you want a god to do something really big, like end a drought or stop a volcano from erupting, then something very precious ought to be offered in return for the favor.

In some religions, the person sacrificed was supposed to have an elevated position in the afterlife as a reward.

The problem is that in fact none of the favors from the god are delivered more reliably with the human sacrifice than without the human sacrifice. That means that the sacrifice is immoral, because a human is deprived of life without a greater number of lives being saved as a consequence. The premise of one saving many is false.
GreatestIam
Posts: 1,723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:22:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I agree with your first only if proof of a God were at hand.
It never has been.

I also agree with your last conclusion.

Regards
DL
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 10:01:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/4/2012 2:47:39 PM, GreatestIam wrote:
Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical?

Over the ages, a number of pagan religions have based their theology around the notion that God needs or wants sacrifices. This phenomena has been recorded on many continents from various tribes and peoples who had no knowledge of each other.

I find it strange that God, any God, would be pleased or able to be bribed by some sacrifice, be it human or not. Seems like it is just humans thinking they can somehow change God's mind about anything from the weather, the forgiveness of sin or a better crop.

Can God be bribed by accepting burnt offerings such as virgins being thrown into volcanoes, meat or crops?

Can God be bought off so cheaply?

What of Jesus our brother?

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

If Christianity is based on human sacrifice, it seems to me that that would be immoral and unethical. It would mean that the innocent was murdered while the guilty were allowed to walk away. That is not good justice. Good justice says that the guilty pay and the innocent go free.

Is religioOus human saicrifice moral, ethical and good justice?

Regards
DL

Paganism has human sacrifice..

Judaism and others have animal sacrifice..

Christianity alone has GOD sacrifice: He sacrificed His only begotten Son in our place.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 10:05:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/11/2012 10:01:16 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 1/4/2012 2:47:39 PM, GreatestIam wrote:
Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical?

Over the ages, a number of pagan religions have based their theology around the notion that God needs or wants sacrifices. This phenomena has been recorded on many continents from various tribes and peoples who had no knowledge of each other.

I find it strange that God, any God, would be pleased or able to be bribed by some sacrifice, be it human or not. Seems like it is just humans thinking they can somehow change God's mind about anything from the weather, the forgiveness of sin or a better crop.

Can God be bribed by accepting burnt offerings such as virgins being thrown into volcanoes, meat or crops?

Can God be bought off so cheaply?

What of Jesus our brother?

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

If Christianity is based on human sacrifice, it seems to me that that would be immoral and unethical. It would mean that the innocent was murdered while the guilty were allowed to walk away. That is not good justice. Good justice says that the guilty pay and the innocent go free.

Is religioOus human saicrifice moral, ethical and good justice?

Regards
DL

Paganism has human sacrifice..

Judaism and others have animal sacrifice..

Christianity alone has GOD sacrifice: He sacrificed His only begotten Son in our place.

Um...Wasn't Jesus supposed to be 100 percent human?

If so, it seems that Christianity has human sacrifice as well.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 10:11:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/11/2012 10:05:11 AM, Meatros wrote:
At 1/11/2012 10:01:16 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 1/4/2012 2:47:39 PM, GreatestIam wrote:
Is a religion based on human sacrifice moral and ethical?

Over the ages, a number of pagan religions have based their theology around the notion that God needs or wants sacrifices. This phenomena has been recorded on many continents from various tribes and peoples who had no knowledge of each other.

I find it strange that God, any God, would be pleased or able to be bribed by some sacrifice, be it human or not. Seems like it is just humans thinking they can somehow change God's mind about anything from the weather, the forgiveness of sin or a better crop.

Can God be bribed by accepting burnt offerings such as virgins being thrown into volcanoes, meat or crops?

Can God be bought off so cheaply?

What of Jesus our brother?

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

If Christianity is based on human sacrifice, it seems to me that that would be immoral and unethical. It would mean that the innocent was murdered while the guilty were allowed to walk away. That is not good justice. Good justice says that the guilty pay and the innocent go free.

Is religioOus human saicrifice moral, ethical and good justice?

Regards
DL

Paganism has human sacrifice..

Judaism and others have animal sacrifice..

Christianity alone has GOD sacrifice: He sacrificed His only begotten Son in our place.

Um...Wasn't Jesus supposed to be 100 percent human?

If so, it seems that Christianity has human sacrifice as well.

I take your point, but He was ALSO God, so wasn't 'just' human but was God in Human form..

How could the spirit of God die?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Meatros
Posts: 1,075
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 10:13:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/11/2012 10:11:18 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I take your point, but He was ALSO God, so wasn't 'just' human but was God in Human form..

How could the spirit of God die?

Fair enough.

As to the spirit of God, I'm not sure the relevance. I know there were some ancient philosophers who thought that spirits could die, but I'm not really aware of any Christian or modern philosophers who think this.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 11:51:03 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/11/2012 10:13:18 AM, Meatros wrote:
At 1/11/2012 10:11:18 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I take your point, but He was ALSO God, so wasn't 'just' human but was God in Human form..

How could the spirit of God die?

Fair enough.

As to the spirit of God, I'm not sure the relevance. I know there were some ancient philosophers who thought that spirits could die, but I'm not really aware of any Christian or modern philosophers who think this.

A spirit is not THE Spirit; the Holy (separate, unique, one) Spirit..

Jesus died not because He was crucified but because of separation from God, spiritually.. This is what He feared, not the nails..
The Cross.. the Cross.
GreatestIam
Posts: 1,723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 7:51:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/11/2012 11:51:03 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 1/11/2012 10:13:18 AM, Meatros wrote:
At 1/11/2012 10:11:18 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I take your point, but He was ALSO God, so wasn't 'just' human but was God in Human form..

How could the spirit of God die?

Fair enough.

As to the spirit of God, I'm not sure the relevance. I know there were some ancient philosophers who thought that spirits could die, but I'm not really aware of any Christian or modern philosophers who think this.

A spirit is not THE Spirit; the Holy (separate, unique, one) Spirit..

Jesus died not because He was crucified but because of separation from God, spiritually.. This is what He feared, not the nails..

Why would Jesus fear his father separating himself from him.

Perhaps he knew the truth in that his father would have recognize how wrong it is to give a lesson in justice that says the innocent should die to let the guilty walk.

That an the notion that God thinks that fathers should bury their sons and not the natural way of sons burying their fathers.

Let me repeat---
If your God was a God of love, he would not have planned, even before creating man, to have his son murdered.

Would you follow your God's example in this or would you do the right thing yourself and pay the ransom that you yourself put on his head?

Show us your morals and tell us what a loving father would do.

Jesus' question----Why have you fosaken me ---- the bible answers with,

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

Jesus is to be our spiritual brother. Not our scapegoat.

Do not be a fool my friend and think of the justice angle. The innocent dying for the guilty is too stupid and immoral for words.

Listen to what those links have to tell you.

Regards
DL
johnnyboy54
Posts: 6,362
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 1:27:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/11/2012 7:51:39 PM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 1/11/2012 11:51:03 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 1/11/2012 10:13:18 AM, Meatros wrote:
At 1/11/2012 10:11:18 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I take your point, but He was ALSO God, so wasn't 'just' human but was God in Human form..

How could the spirit of God die?

Fair enough.

As to the spirit of God, I'm not sure the relevance. I know there were some ancient philosophers who thought that spirits could die, but I'm not really aware of any Christian or modern philosophers who think this.

A spirit is not THE Spirit; the Holy (separate, unique, one) Spirit..

Jesus died not because He was crucified but because of separation from God, spiritually.. This is what He feared, not the nails..

Why would Jesus fear his father separating himself from him.

Perhaps he knew the truth in that his father would have recognize how wrong it is to give a lesson in justice that says the innocent should die to let the guilty walk.

That an the notion that God thinks that fathers should bury their sons and not the natural way of sons burying their fathers.

Let me repeat---
If your God was a God of love, he would not have planned, even before creating man, to have his son murdered.

Jesus is God and thus in on the whole deal. He was begotten not made and one in being with the father. So the creator sacrificed for the creation out of love

Would you follow your God's example in this or would you do the right thing yourself and pay the ransom that you yourself put on his head?

The Cruxifiction taught us self-sacrifice but that does not contradict God's justice. I cannot go the hell for the sins of another. However Jesus could take the punishment of human kind because he is God and thus has a different relationship to his creation. God is held to his own standards, not ours.

Show us your morals and tell us what a loving father would do.

Jesus' question----Why have you fosaken me ---- the bible answers with,

Ezekiel 18:20
The soul that sinneth, it shall die. The son shall not bear the iniquity of the father, neither shall the father bear the iniquity of the son: the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon him, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon him.

Psalm 49:7
None of them can by any means redeem his brother, nor give to God a ransom for him:

Both of these passages are about social relationships between the Isrealites. It has nothing to do with God's relationship to his creation

Jesus is to be our spiritual brother. Not our scapegoat.

There is no Biblical of theological basis that Jesus was not to be our scapegoat. Rather the Bible seems to suggest the opposite.

Do not be a fool my friend and think of the justice angle. The innocent dying for the guilty is too stupid and immoral for words.

As humans I agree with you. But God is not held to the same moral standard as humans and it is illogical to think that he should. God can do what he wants. He is God. Now because he is a completely benevolent being he always acts in a way that helps our spiritual well being.

Listen to what those links have to tell you.





Regards
DL

To put it simply, it was not a human sacrifice. It was a divine sacrifice
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
GreatestIam
Posts: 1,723
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 7:58:47 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
So God/Jesus begot God/Jesus only to have God/Jesus murdered as a sacrifice to God/Jesus.

Makes a lot of sense for sure.

How does hell help man's spiritual nature?

As to God and man's morals being the same. They are.

Did A & E, our archetypal first man and woman, not become as God's in knowing good and evil?
That is a moral sense and shows that ours and God's are the same.

Regards
DL