Total Posts:157|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Militant Atheists

tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:15:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have a few friends that are heavily militant atheists and have noticed the same in some of the newer members here. By militant atheists I am refering to those who are vehemently opposed to all religions that worship or believe in deities. My question to those who consider themselves militant is (and because this is the interwebz and attitude is lost in translation I'm not being aggressive, only curious), how do you justify an anti-religious sentiment? I've heard others claim it's because of past and current atrocities comitted in the name of a religion, but blaming all religions for acts done by others who happen to be lumped into that massive group seems a bit rediculous. I've also heard people say that religions hold back the ability of society and science to progress. While that may or may not be true, how often does being aggressive about any subject convince your opponents that your views are more valid?

I just want to hear your views on why you or (and no random speculation please) someone you know is a (specifically) militant atheist.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
tkubok
Posts: 5,044
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:10:31 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:15:59 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I have a few friends that are heavily militant atheists and have noticed the same in some of the newer members here. By militant atheists I am refering to those who are vehemently opposed to all religions that worship or believe in deities. My question to those who consider themselves militant is (and because this is the interwebz and attitude is lost in translation I'm not being aggressive, only curious), how do you justify an anti-religious sentiment? I've heard others claim it's because of past and current atrocities comitted in the name of a religion, but blaming all religions for acts done by others who happen to be lumped into that massive group seems a bit rediculous. I've also heard people say that religions hold back the ability of society and science to progress. While that may or may not be true, how often does being aggressive about any subject convince your opponents that your views are more valid?

I just want to hear your views on why you or (and no random speculation please) someone you know is a (specifically) militant atheist.

Theres a difference between aggressive, and being outspoken, passionate about a subject.

Its that old canard of "Funny how people who go around murdering and blowing buildings up, makes them militant theists, but all it takes to be branded as a militant atheist is to be outspoken".
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:25:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:15:59 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I have a few friends that are heavily militant atheists and have noticed the same in some of the newer members here. By militant atheists I am refering to those who are vehemently opposed to all religions that worship or believe in deities. My question to those who consider themselves militant is (and because this is the interwebz and attitude is lost in translation I'm not being aggressive, only curious), how do you justify an anti-religious sentiment? I've heard others claim it's because of past and current atrocities comitted in the name of a religion, but blaming all religions for acts done by others who happen to be lumped into that massive group seems a bit rediculous. I've also heard people say that religions hold back the ability of society and science to progress. While that may or may not be true, how often does being aggressive about any subject convince your opponents that your views are more valid?

I just want to hear your views on why you or (and no random speculation please) someone you know is a (specifically) militant atheist.

This is hilarious because many Christians do this to Muslims on a daily basis.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:53:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
When the people of the future form a religion around the words of atheists today, a few groups of them are going to go all inquisition and crusade on the religious.

The funny thing is that a lot of religions were likely started by people who were attempting to tear it down.

Certain things never change, the best thing to do is either exploit it, or deal with it.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:55:14 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 9:53:49 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
When the people of the future form a religion around the words of atheists today, a few groups of them are going to go all inquisition and crusade on the religious.

The funny thing is that a lot of religions were likely started by people who were attempting to tear it down.

Certain things never change, the best thing to do is either exploit it, or deal with it.

What is wrong with attempting to correct flaws?
seraine
Posts: 734
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 5:17:52 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I can occasionaly be aggressive, because my parents are doing a lot of bad things to me in the name of religion. I basically group them together because they are all faith based.
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 8:37:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 9:55:14 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
What is wrong with attempting to correct flaws?

Ultimately, it isn't likely to yield the results that you are aiming for. Religion will never leave. It will always be present, and people really need to figure these things out on their own.

The effects of religion are unavoidable.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 8:40:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 8:37:13 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
At 1/5/2012 9:55:14 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
What is wrong with attempting to correct flaws?

Ultimately, it isn't likely to yield the results that you are aiming for. Religion will never leave. It will always be present, and people really need to figure these things out on their own.

The effects of religion are unavoidable.

So your saying religion is bad?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:03:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'm saying that religion isn't something that is ever going to leave humanity.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:10:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 9:03:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'm saying that religion isn't something that is ever going to leave humanity.

It is slowly being phased out and ignored by the masses.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 9:50:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 9:10:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/5/2012 9:03:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'm saying that religion isn't something that is ever going to leave humanity.

It is slowly being phased out and ignored by the masses.

But it will never leave, it can ebb and flow, it can wane, it can even dwindle away to near nothing but it will never going to ever be completely absent from society.

300th forum post btw :D haha
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 10:00:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 9:50:46 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/5/2012 9:10:04 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/5/2012 9:03:46 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I'm saying that religion isn't something that is ever going to leave humanity.

It is slowly being phased out and ignored by the masses.

But it will never leave, it can ebb and flow, it can wane, it can even dwindle away to near nothing but it will never going to ever be completely absent from society.

300th forum post btw :D haha

Gratz. I was just gonna point out that religious charities do a lot more good than those religions do bad.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Wnope
Posts: 6,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:20:46 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Militant atheism is important, IMO, for largely the same reason gay pride parades are important. Showing the extreme of a taboo topic in public gives the "closeted" more of a sense of community. The participants of a gay pride parade are not aiming to convert their enemies, they're looking to show others that they do not have to hide who they are, that there are others who sympathize.

In this case, militant atheist groups spur public awareness of atheism and make closeted or nearly-there atheists feel like there is an intellectual community behind them. This creates a better environment for people to atheistically "come out of the closet" when it risks damaging relations with one's geographic and familiar communities.
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 11:00:08 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:20:46 AM, Wnope wrote:
Militant atheism is important, IMO, for largely the same reason gay pride parades are important. Showing the extreme of a taboo topic in public gives the "closeted" more of a sense of community. The participants of a gay pride parade are not aiming to convert their enemies, they're looking to show others that they do not have to hide who they are, that there are others who sympathize.

In this case, militant atheist groups spur public awareness of atheism and make closeted or nearly-there atheists feel like there is an intellectual community behind them. This creates a better environment for people to atheistically "come out of the closet" when it risks damaging relations with one's geographic and familiar communities.

While I can understand where you're coming from, I can't say that I share the sentiment. I've found that at times, I'm more at odds with those around me that are militant atheists than those that are theists. That's not a commentary on theism vs. atheism as I don't really know many in-your-face-bible-thumper aggressive types, but the militant atheists that I know often seem to want to cause conflict for the sake of conflict. Also, the difference in your analogy between militant atheists and people in a gay pride parade is that the people in the parade aren't usually there to tell you how ignorant or wrong you are for being heterosexual.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Raisor
Posts: 4,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 1:24:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 11:00:08 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:20:46 AM, Wnope wrote:
Militant atheism is important, IMO, for largely the same reason gay pride parades are important. Showing the extreme of a taboo topic in public gives the "closeted" more of a sense of community. The participants of a gay pride parade are not aiming to convert their enemies, they're looking to show others that they do not have to hide who they are, that there are others who sympathize.

In this case, militant atheist groups spur public awareness of atheism and make closeted or nearly-there atheists feel like there is an intellectual community behind them. This creates a better environment for people to atheistically "come out of the closet" when it risks damaging relations with one's geographic and familiar communities.

While I can understand where you're coming from, I can't say that I share the sentiment. I've found that at times, I'm more at odds with those around me that are militant atheists than those that are theists. That's not a commentary on theism vs. atheism as I don't really know many in-your-face-bible-thumper aggressive types, but the militant atheists that I know often seem to want to cause conflict for the sake of conflict. Also, the difference in your analogy between militant atheists and people in a gay pride parade is that the people in the parade aren't usually there to tell you how ignorant or wrong you are for being heterosexual.

Dude do you follow american politics at all? Every year you hear the same "War on Christmas B.S." You have Rick Santorum talking about how the government really ought to be restricting birth control. Politicians use the Bible to justify discrimination against homosexuals. Being religious is a de facto criteria for running for office (the first openly nontheistic Congressman came out in 2007). Atheists (and homosexuals) arent allowed in the Boy Scouts. Custody proceedings have been known to hinge on the religious disposition of the parents. I believe atheists still poll as the most distrusted group in America, beating out Muslims and homosexuals.

I have to question whether aggressive atheism is effective at bringing about public opinion change, but to be honest atheists have a lot to be pissed off about.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 2:28:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:15:59 AM, tornshoe92 wrote:
I have a few friends that are heavily militant atheists and have noticed the same in some of the newer members here. By militant atheists I am refering to those who are vehemently opposed to all religions that worship or believe in deities. My question to those who consider themselves militant is (and because this is the interwebz and attitude is lost in translation I'm not being aggressive, only curious), how do you justify an anti-religious sentiment? I've heard others claim it's because of past and current atrocities comitted in the name of a religion, but blaming all religions for acts done by others who happen to be lumped into that massive group seems a bit rediculous. I've also heard people say that religions hold back the ability of society and science to progress. While that may or may not be true, how often does being aggressive about any subject convince your opponents that your views are more valid?

I just want to hear your views on why you or (and no random speculation please) someone you know is a (specifically) militant atheist.

This isn't a topic I have a very strong opinion on. But perhaps more outspoken atheists are showing up in public because it's atheists turn? When groups of people are almost universally hated for basically no reason- don't they get angry? Do they not seek retribution? This is not a defense. Merely an explanation. I guess I'm just surprised at your surprise.

As for me in my life- I can't tell you how many presumptuous, condescending, and unreasonable Christians (preachers, family members, acquaintances, workmates, friends, etc.) I've talked to in my life who did not at all respect the fact that I'm atheist as any kind of reasonable or moral intellectual position. They often look upon my atheism as a time of "confusion" and yearning for god or some stupid bull$hit. As if I'm on some kind of journey for truth and, eventually, I'll find that god is the way. I can't help but laugh in these people's faces. They are a joke to me. They don't consider my position in any way and assume the truth of their own by saying things like, "Oh, you're atheist? I was atheist once. Sometimes people stray from god's plan." or "Oh, you're atheist? Yes, I did a lot of soul-searching in college too." That type of disrespectful crap makes me want to vomit. If this is not an environment ripe for hostility, I don't know what is.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:20:12 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.

What point? Why should we be silent when we are under attack? What have we done that is unreasonable? Debunk your mythology?
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:30:37 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:20:12 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.

What point? Why should we be silent when we are under attack? What have we done that is unreasonable? Debunk your mythology?

Um, your not under attack, and as for the last point, you haven't so...
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:39:56 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:30:37 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:20:12 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.

What point? Why should we be silent when we are under attack? What have we done that is unreasonable? Debunk your mythology?

Um, your not under attack, and as for the last point, you haven't so...

Your mythology is not even true because the sun does not revolve around the Earth and therefore cannot be stopped.

So, science has debunked your otherwise untestable mythology.

Atheists are under attack by theists who want to impose their religions on everyone else.
Physik
Posts: 686
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:40:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
So, sorry if I missed something, but when you attach the word 'militant' to say, 'Islamic' your describing those violent people that are fond of pipe bombs.

Being outspoken and critical of religion is called anti-theism. I don't understand how that isn't an adequate description. Militant atheism seems like a very extreme form of anti-theism, but in regards to atheists, that extreme form simply doesn't exist. We don't go around killing people in the name of atheism.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:46:45 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.

The bolded sentence implies that it is in atheists best interests to just shut up and not be openly angry about the fact that atheists are the most distrusted group in America. I've missed no point.

Perhaps it would be better for the atheist public image to not speak about atheism at all? Again, people think they don't like atheists. Simply revealing yourself as atheist is bad for your public image. Talking about the fact that you don't believe in god is bad for your public image. So, outspoken and passionate people who are atheist? They've got no chance.

I think what would be better for the atheist public image is if more atheists spoke up. If atheism weren't considered so frightening and unknown, if people learned more about it, it wouldn't be such a big deal. But for now, here we are. And as I make my way in a world of a$$hole Christians, I will continue to be angry and not keep my pretty little mouth shut for my "public image."
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:47:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:39:56 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:30:37 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:20:12 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.

What point? Why should we be silent when we are under attack? What have we done that is unreasonable? Debunk your mythology?

Um, your not under attack, and as for the last point, you haven't so...

Your mythology is not even true because the sun does not revolve around the Earth and therefore cannot be stopped.

So, science has debunked your otherwise untestable mythology.

Atheists are under attack by theists who want to impose their religions on everyone else.

Um, where in the Bible does it say the Sun revolves around the Earth?

Yeah, those theists, making everyone be Christians/Muslims/ect.! Oh, those evil theists, opening hospitals, orphanages, health clinics, charities, saving lives.

And so we run up to you and demand you become a Christian or whatever? Really?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:50:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:47:09 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:39:56 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:30:37 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:20:12 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.

What point? Why should we be silent when we are under attack? What have we done that is unreasonable? Debunk your mythology?

Um, your not under attack, and as for the last point, you haven't so...

Your mythology is not even true because the sun does not revolve around the Earth and therefore cannot be stopped.

So, science has debunked your otherwise untestable mythology.

Atheists are under attack by theists who want to impose their religions on everyone else.

Um, where in the Bible does it say the Sun revolves around the Earth?

Yeah, those theists, making everyone be Christians/Muslims/ect.! Oh, those evil theists, opening hospitals, orphanages, health clinics, charities, saving lives.

And so we run up to you and demand you become a Christian or whatever? Really?

In the OT, it says that Joshua stopped the sun from revolving around the Earth.

Atheists have also opened hospitals, orphanages, health clinics, etc. In fact, one of the main reasons that theists despise commmunists is that communism is a philosophy that fulfills all of these functions while simultaneously rejecting religion.

You attempt to force prayer in public school, endorse religion in the public sphere, etc. Also, it is well known that people are in the South are hostile to atheists; as Oryus noted, they are the most distrusted individuals in America.
Oryus
Posts: 8,280
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:50:55 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:40:49 PM, Physik wrote:
So, sorry if I missed something, but when you attach the word 'militant' to say, 'Islamic' your describing those violent people that are fond of pipe bombs.

Being outspoken and critical of religion is called anti-theism. I don't understand how that isn't an adequate description. Militant atheism seems like a very extreme form of anti-theism, but in regards to atheists, that extreme form simply doesn't exist. We don't go around killing people in the name of atheism.

It reminds me of how often used the phrase "militant feminist" is. 'Militant' almost seems like a word which is thrown around haphazardly to describe a frightening idea more than a frightening person.
: : :Tulle: The fool, I purposely don't engage with you because you don't have proper command of the English language.
: :
: : The Fool: It's my English writing. Either way It's okay have a larger vocabulary then you, and a better grasp of language, and you're a woman.
:
: I'm just going to leave this precious struggle nugget right here.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:51:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:39:56 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:30:37 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:20:12 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:53:27 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:47:46 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:22:44 PM, tornshoe92 wrote:
At 1/6/2012 3:03:03 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
You'd think that militant atheists, who invariably spout the virtues of reason, would be, oh i don't know, more reasonable about this. Alas, that rarely seems to be the case.

That was kind of my thinking. I can understand being angry if you've been in an environment hostile towards atheism, but to vocalize that hostility would seem counter-productive to the cause of improving the puplic image of atheism.

lol So everyone else gets to be angry when they're in an environment that is unreasonably hostile toward them..... except atheists? Gotcha.

Where did he say or imply that? I think you're entirely missing the point.

What point? Why should we be silent when we are under attack? What have we done that is unreasonable? Debunk your mythology?

Um, your not under attack, and as for the last point, you haven't so...

Your mythology is not even true because the sun does not revolve around the Earth and therefore cannot be stopped.

So, science has debunked your otherwise untestable mythology.

.... if something is literally scientifically untestable (presumably what you mean by "testable") then it can't be open to either scientific confirmation or disconfirmation because if it could then it'd be testable. You can't one hand say religious claims have been debunked and on the other say that they aren't testable. It's a contradiction. But I suppose you already knew that because your the reasonable one here. (^-^; Can't have your cake and eat it, sorry.


Atheists are under attack by theists who want to impose their religions on everyone else.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Physik
Posts: 686
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/6/2012 4:52:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/6/2012 4:50:55 PM, Oryus wrote:
At 1/6/2012 4:40:49 PM, Physik wrote:
So, sorry if I missed something, but when you attach the word 'militant' to say, 'Islamic' your describing those violent people that are fond of pipe bombs.

Being outspoken and critical of religion is called anti-theism. I don't understand how that isn't an adequate description. Militant atheism seems like a very extreme form of anti-theism, but in regards to atheists, that extreme form simply doesn't exist. We don't go around killing people in the name of atheism.

It reminds me of how often used the phrase "militant feminist" is. 'Militant' almost seems like a word which is thrown around haphazardly to describe a frightening idea more than a frightening person.

To put it another way, what does 'militant atheism' mean that 'anti-theism' does not? I can't think of anything but forceful intrusion or physical violence, in which case the term is simply meaningless.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico