Total Posts:17|Showing Posts:1-17
Jump to topic:

Chistinanity

nerdykiller
Posts: 856
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:27:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have been a "believer" for many years, but now I am not sure where my heart lays.
Through my life time I have seen Christians as holy people, but now I see them as hypocritical people.

What do you guys think?
Is all religion hypocritical in so many ways?
tornshoe92
Posts: 361
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:35:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:27:56 AM, nerdykiller wrote:
I have been a "believer" for many years, but now I am not sure where my heart lays.
Through my life time I have seen Christians as holy people, but now I see them as hypocritical people.

What do you guys think?
Is all religion hypocritical in so many ways?

That's a pretty generalized question. In Christianity alone there are so many different views that to say Christian doctrines are hypocritical would be too broad a statement. Are there non-sensical and irrational ideologies held within groups of most religions? I would say definitely. Does that mean that all religions or even one big one should be looked at in its entirety as hypocritical? Probably not.
"Next time I see a little old lady going to church I am going kick her in the ovaries because she is personally responsible for this. Thanks Izbo." -C_N
gavin.ogden
Posts: 1,729
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/5/2012 12:47:41 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:39:51 AM, rogue wrote:
It doesn't matter to me whether or not its hypocritical, it just clearly is not true.

Not true: Yes
Hypocritical: Only if you actually claim to believe ANY religious doctrine. Then, yes.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 4:38:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
We don't judge Christianity by Christians but by Christ: do you believe He is the only begotten Son of God?

We must begin there.
The Cross.. the Cross.
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 4:43:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:39:51 AM, rogue wrote:
It doesn't matter to me whether or not its hypocritical, it just clearly is not true.

*Sigh* It annoys me when people say something without backing it up.....it just makes them sound dum.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 4:45:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:39:51 AM, rogue wrote:
It doesn't matter to me whether or not its hypocritical, it just clearly is not true.

This.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 4:47:17 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/8/2012 4:43:10 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 1/5/2012 12:39:51 AM, rogue wrote:
It doesn't matter to me whether or not its hypocritical, it just clearly is not true.

*Sigh* It annoys me when people say something without backing it up.....it just makes them sound dumb.

fixed
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 4:53:57 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
everyone hates Christians here...I gotta escape!
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Raisor
Posts: 4,460
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:14:34 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/8/2012 4:38:34 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
We don't judge Christianity by Christians but by Christ: do you believe He is the only begotten Son of God?

We must begin there.

Luke 6:44 or Matt 7:16 take your pick.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:34:53 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The behavior of Christians says nothing about the truth of the religion. In fact I'd say Christians behaving badly is completely in line with the Christian conception of human nature. That being said though, it shouldn't factor into the decision of whether to identify as Christian. I'd like to think I remained objective in my own rejection but who knows.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 5:47:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I know that all religion is false. For us to have any religious knowledge there must be a bridge between the secular and divine worlds. Ultimately no one can identify that bridge and some have even ventured to say that bridge does not exist. Well if the bridge doesn't exist, then where did you derive your so called knowledge of life? All that hogwash in the Bible, where did it come from?

Ultimately, religious argument MUST abide by logic because it is self-evident - we are logical beings, the world is ruled by logic, and we think logically to decode the operations of the universe. If a God did in fact create us, then he obviously created us to only understand logic. So either religion must be proved on a purely logical basis, we're not supposed to reason out religion, or religion does not exist at all.

Christians have a bad habit of ignoring logical argument for some sort of lofty unproved assertion they were spoon-fed by their parents.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:39:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/5/2012 12:27:56 AM, nerdykiller wrote:
I have been a "believer" for many years, but now I am not sure where my heart lays.
Through my life time I have seen Christians as holy people, but now I see them as hypocritical people.

What do you guys think?
Is all religion hypocritical in so many ways?

Perhaps if Holiness was quantified?
Throughout the Old Testament only two individuals were credited with the full Holiness to be granted the reward from God of not seeing death. They were the only two to be assumed into Heaven.

Enoch and Elijah.

The next level of believers who pursue Holiness would be those who are so Holy they are rewarded by going straight to Heaven.

Moses died but we know he received his white robe and went to Heaven prior to the Judgement.
He and Elijah both ministered to Jesus on the mount of transfiguration.

We can see that the church will be filled with hypocrites that are growing in faith to "reach" Holiness.

The fact hypocrites exist in the Church comforts me that God is patient with my own failings.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 9:44:36 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/8/2012 5:47:40 PM, 000ike wrote:
I know that all religion is false. For us to have any religious knowledge there must be a bridge between the secular and divine worlds. Ultimately no one can identify that bridge and some have even ventured to say that bridge does not exist. Well if the bridge doesn't exist, then where did you derive your so called knowledge of life? All that hogwash in the Bible, where did it come from?

Ultimately, religious argument MUST abide by logic because it is self-evident - we are logical beings, the world is ruled by logic, and we think logically to decode the operations of the universe. If a God did in fact create us, then he obviously created us to only understand logic. So either religion must be proved on a purely logical basis, we're not supposed to reason out religion, or religion does not exist at all.

Christians have a bad habit of ignoring logical argument for some sort of lofty unproved assertion they were spoon-fed by their parents.

How is that anything more than an anecdotal ad hominem?
Really, Christianity does not use logic and reason? You have met so many? Most on this website are children. Spend time with some Pastors, Theologians and Monks.

Isaiah 1:18.
The entire Bible is the method God uses as a non present daily "reasoning" with us to aid us in growth.

You are unreasonable to expect children to explain the fullness of anything. Do you really expect a teenager to explain College Chemistry? Physics?

Of course not.

You are unreasonable to hold such expectations then anecdotally attack Christianity.

You cannot attack children because they do not hold the knowledge at the same level of a person who holds a doctorate in Christian Philosophy or Theology.
ConservativePolitico
Posts: 8,210
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/8/2012 10:06:08 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/8/2012 9:57:56 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
At 1/8/2012 4:53:57 PM, 16kadams wrote:
everyone hates Christians here...I gotta escape!

Nuh-Uh! I love Christians :)

Anyways. You should never base a religious view on the people who practice it because there are no perfect people.

If you believe in the tenents of the religion, feel that it's right and want to uphold it then practice it.

If not then don't.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 4:39:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/8/2012 5:14:34 PM, Raisor wrote:
At 1/8/2012 4:38:34 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
We don't judge Christianity by Christians but by Christ: do you believe He is the only begotten Son of God?

We must begin there.

Luke 6:44 or Matt 7:16 take your pick.

You are confusing judging a man by his fruit and a religion by it's men..

If a Christian does not follow Christ's teachings to love His neighbor, his enemies etc then that does not reflect on Christ's teachings (Christianity) but on the man.
The Cross.. the Cross.