Total Posts:155|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

LEAVE CHRISTIANITY ALONE. like or don't like.

wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012
Posted: 4 years ago
Now, everyday I come to this site, I am constantly bothered by the level of hatred towards Christians. This crime committed by mainly atheist simply can't go on any longer. If you believe in God, so be it. If you don't believe in God, then good for you. This is a religious forum not a Hate Christian forum. Talk about religion all you want, just don't call ones believes fake or stupid or even worse illogical. Who are you to decide what is logical or not. For all we know, the existence of the Universe is illogical yet we still believe that there is such a thing as a Universe.

So, talk about Religion as a whole, not to isolate one religion and harass its supporter.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:10:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
You have the world. Christianity is still the worlds dominant religion, there are still many Christians in American society, just look at the Bible Belt and Sun Belt. An atheist in real life is often looked down upon, considered ignorant, and dogged by religious zealots on their moral highhorse. This is a place where we can speak, where we can speak with reason.

For some Christianity may be this liberating truth you want to grace the world. But there are those like me that find it an imprisonment of expression and intellectual freedom and also a belief in psychological slavery. I reject it, and this is the only place my rejection can be expressed without some kind of hidden or outspoken judgement.

You have no right to complain.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:18:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012, wierdman wrote:
Now, everyday I come to this site, I am constantly bothered by the level of hatred towards Christians. This crime committed by mainly atheist simply can't go on any longer. If you believe in God, so be it. If you don't believe in God, then good for you. This is a religious forum not a Hate Christian forum. Talk about religion all you want, just don't call ones believes fake or stupid or even worse illogical. Who are you to decide what is logical or not. For all we know, the existence of the Universe is illogical yet we still believe that there is such a thing as a Universe.

So, talk about Religion as a whole, not to isolate one religion and harass its supporter.

agreed I wanted to make this forum you beat me to it. +1
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
16kadams
Posts: 10,497
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:19:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:10:28 AM, 000ike wrote:
You have the world. Christianity is still the worlds dominant religion, there are still many Christians in American society, just look at the Bible Belt and Sun Belt. An atheist in real life is often looked down upon, considered ignorant, and dogged by religious zealots on their moral highhorse. This is a place where we can speak, where we can speak with reason.

For some Christianity may be this liberating truth you want to grace the world. But there are those like me that find it an imprisonment of expression and intellectual freedom and also a belief in psychological slavery. I reject it, and this is the only place my rejection can be expressed without some kind of hidden or outspoken judgement.

You have no right to complain.

I live in the area you said, atheists are respected.
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:25:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:19:18 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:10:28 AM, 000ike wrote:
You have the world. Christianity is still the worlds dominant religion, there are still many Christians in American society, just look at the Bible Belt and Sun Belt. An atheist in real life is often looked down upon, considered ignorant, and dogged by religious zealots on their moral highhorse. This is a place where we can speak, where we can speak with reason.

For some Christianity may be this liberating truth you want to grace the world. But there are those like me that find it an imprisonment of expression and intellectual freedom and also a belief in psychological slavery. I reject it, and this is the only place my rejection can be expressed without some kind of hidden or outspoken judgement.

You have no right to complain.

I live in the area you said, atheists are respected.

My 5th grade teacher said "If you have no religion,...then you're just ignorant." My entire family is Christian, and I'm in a relatively diverse environment that has Asians and Indians, and I only know 1 that rejects Hinduism. Honestly, I believe in Agnosticism, but what really makes it attractive as a compromise is the fact that it doesn't evoke the same sense of repulsion that "atheist" may.

We still have "Under God" in our pledge which they force us to say, and we still have "In God we Trust" on our currency. This was designed to be a secular nation, but sadly it isn't.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:28:13 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:10:28 AM, 000ike wrote:
You have the world. Christianity is still the worlds dominant religion, there are still many Christians in American society, just look at the Bible Belt and Sun Belt. An atheist in real life is often looked down upon, considered ignorant, and dogged by religious zealots on their moral highhorse. This is a place where we can speak, where we can speak with reason.

For some Christianity may be this liberating truth you want to grace the world. But there are those like me that find it an imprisonment of expression and intellectual freedom and also a belief in psychological slavery. I reject it, and this is the only place my rejection can be expressed without some kind of hidden or outspoken judgement.

You have no right to complain.

I have yet to see a mass # of hatred towards atheist in this SITE. You say that the constant harassment of atheist in the real world is wrong, yet you continue to follow the same path here. I call you IGNORANT not because of the fact that you are atheist, but because of the fact that you are clouded by the irrational thinking that just because you don't believe in something, you have a right to insult its very root.
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:33:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:25:15 AM, 000ike wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:19:18 AM, 16kadams wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:10:28 AM, 000ike wrote:
You have the world. Christianity is still the worlds dominant religion, there are still many Christians in American society, just look at the Bible Belt and Sun Belt. An atheist in real life is often looked down upon, considered ignorant, and dogged by religious zealots on their moral highhorse. This is a place where we can speak, where we can speak with reason.

For some Christianity may be this liberating truth you want to grace the world. But there are those like me that find it an imprisonment of expression and intellectual freedom and also a belief in psychological slavery. I reject it, and this is the only place my rejection can be expressed without some kind of hidden or outspoken judgement.

You have no right to complain.

I live in the area you said, atheists are respected.

My 5th grade teacher said "If you have no religion,...then you're just ignorant." My entire family is Christian, and I'm in a relatively diverse environment that has Asians and Indians, and I only know 1 that rejects Hinduism. Honestly, I believe in Agnosticism, but what really makes it attractive as a compromise is the fact that it doesn't evoke the same sense of repulsion that "atheist" may.

We still have "Under God" in our pledge which they force us to say, and we still have "In God we Trust" on our currency. This was designed to be a secular nation, but sadly it isn't.

I find it funny how that you actually believe that the people of our modern community care about your religious believes. When asked of the word atheist, the first thing that comes to almost all of my friends mouth is "ignorant". When asked why? We find that just like in here, a large amount of atheist in the real world believe that because they are "beyond believing in God", this makes them superior to all. I am not saying all but this site has only confirmed my judgement of a lot of atheists. Show me that you can talk about religion without going ballistic and I will have no problem with you. I on the other hand will not interfere with your personal believes.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:42:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
[Mahaparinibbana Sutta]
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:52:43 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seriously weirdman, change your fvxking tampon. I'm not even an atheist and I see how completely ridiculous tue concept of subverting contrary opinions are. This is a debate site and so there will inevitably be hostile opinions. And with those there will be the intellectual fascists who will want to suppress them (in this case you). Though atheists are far from the only vocal group on this site. There are conservatives, race realists, libertarians, marxists, nihilists, Christians, and anarchists and among everyone there will emerge opinions contrary to others. GASP! For you to try to suppress dissident opinion completely irrespective of whether they might actually back up their opinions with evidence or reason is complete and total intellectual fascism on your part and is worse than the alleged "crime" on the part of atheists on this site since they are usually at least open to debate.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:53:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:42:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
[Mahaparinibbana Sutta]

??????
I don't mean to be rude, bu what does this have to do with the topic?
Illegalcombatant
Posts: 4,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:55:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012, wierdman wrote:
Now, everyday I come to this site, I am constantly bothered by the level of hatred towards Christians. This crime committed by mainly atheist simply can't go on any longer. If you believe in God, so be it. If you don't believe in God, then good for you. This is a religious forum not a Hate Christian forum. Talk about religion all you want, just don't call ones believes fake or stupid or even worse illogical. Who are you to decide what is logical or not. For all we know, the existence of the Universe is illogical yet we still believe that there is such a thing as a Universe.

So, talk about Religion as a whole, not to isolate one religion and harass its supporter.

Considering all that is been done in the name of Christianity even right now, you really want to try and play the persecution card ?
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:53:18 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:42:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
[Mahaparinibbana Sutta]

??????
I don't mean to be rude, bu what does this have to do with the topic?

You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:57:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:52:43 AM, socialpinko wrote:
Seriously weirdman, change your fvxking tampon. I'm not even an atheist and I see how completely ridiculous tue concept of subverting contrary opinions are. This is a debate site and so there will inevitably be hostile opinions. And with those there will be the intellectual fascists who will want to suppress them (in this case you). Though atheists are far from the only vocal group on this site. There are conservatives, race realists, libertarians, marxists, nihilists, Christians, and anarchists and among everyone there will emerge opinions contrary to others. GASP! For you to try to suppress dissident opinion completely irrespective of whether they might actually back up their opinions with evidence or reason is complete and total intellectual fascism on your part and is worse than the alleged "crime" on the part of atheists on this site since they are usually at least open to debate.

I am not trying to completely suppress any views that contradict mine. I am simply trying to suppress harassment directed towards Christians. If I were to go around calling every atheist imbeciles, it wouldn't be intellectual, but just plain harassment.
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:59:19 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:52:43 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I'm not even an atheist

Woah, since when?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 12:59:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:55:10 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/9/2012, wierdman wrote:
Now, everyday I come to this site, I am constantly bothered by the level of hatred towards Christians. This crime committed by mainly atheist simply can't go on any longer. If you believe in God, so be it. If you don't believe in God, then good for you. This is a religious forum not a Hate Christian forum. Talk about religion all you want, just don't call ones believes fake or stupid or even worse illogical. Who are you to decide what is logical or not. For all we know, the existence of the Universe is illogical yet we still believe that there is such a thing as a Universe.

So, talk about Religion as a whole, not to isolate one religion and harass its supporter.

Considering all that is been done in the name of Christianity even right now, you really want to try and play the persecution card ?

this.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:00:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:55:10 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
At 1/9/2012, wierdman wrote:
Now, everyday I come to this site, I am constantly bothered by the level of hatred towards Christians. This crime committed by mainly atheist simply can't go on any longer. If you believe in God, so be it. If you don't believe in God, then good for you. This is a religious forum not a Hate Christian forum. Talk about religion all you want, just don't call ones believes fake or stupid or even worse illogical. Who are you to decide what is logical or not. For all we know, the existence of the Universe is illogical yet we still believe that there is such a thing as a Universe.

So, talk about Religion as a whole, not to isolate one religion and harass its supporter.

Considering all that is been done in the name of Christianity even right now, you really want to try and play the persecution card ?

with all due respect to you.....YES. I see no reason why Christians should be harassed for what they believe in.
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:00:42 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:59:19 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:52:43 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I'm not even an atheist

Woah, since when?

I give him a month max. I was a Deist for like 1 week a month or 2 ago, then I realized I really had no reason or evidence to believe in a God altogether.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:01:11 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:53:18 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:42:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
[Mahaparinibbana Sutta]

??????
I don't mean to be rude, bu what does this have to do with the topic?

You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.

EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!!
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:02:06 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:01:11 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:53:18 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:42:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
[Mahaparinibbana Sutta]

??????
I don't mean to be rude, bu what does this have to do with the topic?

You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.

EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!!

lol! dude, you don't understand what Geo is saying
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Raisor
Posts: 4,459
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:02:37 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Seriously being called "irrational" is not that big a deal. If it really bothers you just challenge the offender to a debate. That's (partly) what this site is about- putting your positions up for scrutiny.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:03:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:01:11 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.

EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!!

I feel attacked. You're telling me to stop being a follower of Buddhism which requires me to vanquish and refute Christianity. Can't you just let me follow my religion?
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:03:56 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:53:18 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:42:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
[Mahaparinibbana Sutta]

??????
I don't mean to be rude, bu what does this have to do with the topic?

You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.

What if i went around saying "BUDDHISM IS A HOAX AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED." Isn't that harassment opposed to "There are certain problems withing Buddhism that prevents it from being logical."
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:05:18 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:02:37 AM, Raisor wrote:
Seriously being called "irrational" is not that big a deal. If it really bothers you just challenge the offender to a debate. That's (partly) what this site is about- putting your positions up for scrutiny.

This. I make extensive use of that strategy. :)
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:05:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:03:01 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/9/2012 1:01:11 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.

EXACTLY MY POINT!!!!!!

I feel attacked. You're telling me to stop being a follower of Buddhism which requires me to vanquish and refute Christianity. Can't you just let me follow my religion?

Imagine how I feel when you said that Christianity is vain. And I have a lot of core Buddhist friends who have mentioned nothing about Buddhism vanquishing Christianity.
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:06:25 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:03:56 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.

What if i went around saying "BUDDHISM IS A HOAX AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED." Isn't that harassment opposed to "There are certain problems withing Buddhism that prevents it from being logical."

Except I'm not saying that. What's being said is "Christianity is a vain doctrine that needs to be vanquished and refuted."

I don't think you can point to any instances of me harassing or using insults empty of rational attacks against Christians or Christianity.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:06:28 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:03:56 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:53:18 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:42:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The Buddha: "Preach it, make it known, establish it, open it, minutely explain it, and make it clear-until they, when others start vain doctrines, shall be able to vanquish and refute them, and so to spread the wonderworking truth abroad. I shall not die until the pure religion of truth shall have become successful, prosperous, widespread, and popular in all its full extent-until, in a word, it shall have been well proclaimed among men!"
[Mahaparinibbana Sutta]

??????
I don't mean to be rude, bu what does this have to do with the topic?

You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.


What if i went around saying "BUDDHISM IS A HOAX AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED." Isn't that harassment opposed to "There are certain problems withing Buddhism that prevents it from being logical."

One expresses anger, the other doesn't, they both express the same point. If you're as concerned about the "argument at hand" as you pretend to be, then you should have the ability to get over the anger and address the point being made.
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:07:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:02:37 AM, Raisor wrote:
Seriously being called "irrational" is not that big a deal. If it really bothers you just challenge the offender to a debate. That's (partly) what this site is about- putting your positions up for scrutiny.

It goes beyond the word "irrational." It becomes more of a personal attack if you call a follower of a religion stupid for following there religion.
wierdman
Posts: 721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:09:02 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:06:25 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/9/2012 1:03:56 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:56:22 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
You say to stop attacking Christianity but it is a duty to "vanquish and refute" the "vain doctrine" of Christianity.

What if i went around saying "BUDDHISM IS A HOAX AND SHOULD BE DESTROYED." Isn't that harassment opposed to "There are certain problems withing Buddhism that prevents it from being logical."

Except I'm not saying that. What's being said is "Christianity is a vain doctrine that needs to be vanquished and refuted."

I don't think you can point to any instances of me harassing or using insults empty of rational attacks against Christians or Christianity.

really? How about being called a dumb a$$ for being Christians?

And really what is the difference between destroyed and vanquished?
GeoLaureate8
Posts: 12,252
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:09:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 1:05:33 AM, wierdman wrote:
At 1/9/2012 1:03:01 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
I feel attacked. You're telling me to stop being a follower of Buddhism which requires me to vanquish and refute Christianity. Can't you just let me follow my religion?

Imagine how I feel when you said that Christianity is vain.

The Buddha said it, not me.

And I have a lot of core Buddhist friends who have mentioned nothing about Buddhism vanquishing Christianity.

Yeah, well apparently they haven't read the verse I just cited.

I believe that certain doctrines of Christianity should be "vanquished" and the word you're forgetting, "REFUTED." I think there's some good aspects and some true aspects of Christianity, but there's several core doctrines that need to be refuted.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/9/2012 1:09:55 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/9/2012 12:59:19 AM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/9/2012 12:52:43 AM, socialpinko wrote:
I'm not even an atheist

Woah, since when?

Few days now. I don't think I'd ever seen the cosmological contingency argument. Currently I'm still trying to determine the extent that the argument goes, meaning what type of being does it necessitate. Currently I see no reason why the necessary "agent" would be perfect and the evidence for divine intervention is still unconvincing. Hence I'm at the bare "necessary being" stage, hence just deism. Also I think it's funny out of a post where I went on a tangent about intellectual fascism, that's the one sentence you picked out.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.