Jump to topic:

Christianity or Cultianity

Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 10:30:49 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I've read Matt Slick's page on http://carm.org... and compared it to Christianity and it has almost a 100% cult record!

The question is: Is Christianity a cult?

What do you think
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 11:57:46 AM
At 1/10/2012 10:30:49 AM, Mr.Infidel wrote:
I've read Matt Slick's page on http://carm.org... and compared it to Christianity and it has almost a 100% cult record!

What do you think

If read with your own subjective definitions you could misconstrue the application.
Heck, read 'correctly' Atheism meets all of these criteria.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 9:31:08 PM
At 1/10/2012 11:57:46 AM, Gileandos wrote:

What do you think

If read with your own subjective definitions you could misconstrue the application.
Heck, read 'correctly' Atheism meets all of these criteria.

If Christianity is a cult then any group with a central belief that hold regular meetings is a cult i.e. political parties, clubs, other religions.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 9:42:04 PM
A cult is a group that practices abnormal or bizarre beliefs and rituals, and which pertains to worship.

I don't think it's a stretch to say symbolic cannibalism of your supposed savior is a pretty bizarre practice.

"A religion is a cult with good PR" - Unknown
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 9:42:42 PM
At 1/10/2012 9:42:04 PM, Physik wrote:
A cult is a group that practices abnormal or bizarre beliefs and rituals, and which pertains to worship.

When talking about a cult in a religious sense, that is.

I don't think it's a stretch to say symbolic cannibalism of your supposed savior is a pretty bizarre practice.

"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 10:03:57 PM

It's really not... It's only bizarre to people who make it bizarre, usually atheists.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 10:14:25 PM
At 1/10/2012 10:03:57 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

It's really not... It's only bizarre to people who make it bizarre, usually atheists.

So you don't think symbolic cannibalism is a little weird? How about wearing a torture device around your neck? Or maybe mutilating the genitalia of children?

Look at it objectively, and Christianity is into some pretty morbid stuff.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 10:18:24 PM
At 1/10/2012 10:14:25 PM, Physik wrote:

So you don't think symbolic cannibalism is a little weird? How about wearing a torture device around your neck? Or maybe mutilating the genitalia of children?

Actually, the whole circumcise thing is just so its easier to stay clean. Not that big a deal.

As for the torture device....???
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/10/2012 10:22:04 PM

Either you're trolling or extremely ignorant.

You know damnn well why we wear the cross.
We partake in communion to remember Jesus and the trials he endured on our behalf.
Circumcision has been around for thousands of years and is preformed on just about everyone now days. Look down, I bet you are too.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 1:15:00 AM
At 1/10/2012 10:22:04 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

And that doesn't change the absurdity of it. If Jesus was shot with an Uzi, would you wear an automatic gun around your neck?

Btw, what's your reason for wearing it?

We partake in communion to remember Jesus and the trials he endured on our behalf.

Does that make it necessary to participate in mock cannibalistic rituals?

Circumcision has been around for thousands of years and is preformed on just about everyone now days. Look down, I bet you are too.

Well, that's one thing I'm glad for. Circumcision is one of the few good things to come out of that.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 1:33:55 AM

Either you're trolling or extremely ignorant.

Your point?

You symbolically consume his flesh and blood so you remember him? Seems a little excessive.

Nope, I have a foreskin, and I am amazingly thankful for it. The only argument supporting circumcision is that it apparently reduces the rate of STD's, wonderful. Why is it so difficult to ask that you don't start mutilating infant genitalia and wait until the child becomes old enough to make a responsible decision.

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 1:40:30 AM
And, to troll ever so slightly;

God supposedly created us in his own image, no? He must therefore have a foreskin.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 7:45:05 PM

Sure sure. If you pull off your atheist blinders you might be able to see a little better.
Calling something that is an honoring of God's sacrifice bizzare....

Perhaps some video for perspective on the definition of bizzare?

http://www.edgeprovidence.com...
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 8:51:07 PM
At 1/11/2012 7:45:05 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Sure sure. If you pull off your atheist blinders you might be able to see a little better.

His sacrifice to save us from himself. Honoring your savior by eating him is odd, you can't dispute that.

I think there is a difference between displays of high self-esteem and cannibalizing your savior.

Cobo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/11/2012 9:22:49 PM
At 1/11/2012 1:15:00 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

As a christian, I have never found any reason to wear a cross.
Aside from that I can't find any reason other christian would wear them.
It could be an expression of faith, based off the fact that he died on the cross.

I also haven't partaken in communion for about 7 months.
I really see no need for it, to be christian.
Church of the BANHAMMER GODS priest
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 1:23:03 PM
At 1/11/2012 8:51:07 PM, Physik wrote:

His sacrifice to save us from himself. Honoring your savior by eating him is odd, you can't dispute that.

I converted to Christianity so obviously I do not hold the concept as odd, much less bizzare.

I think there is a difference between displays of high self-esteem and cannibalizing your savior.

A claim is a claim. There is no difference :P
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 4:23:22 PM
At 1/12/2012 1:23:03 PM, Gileandos wrote:

I converted to Christianity so obviously I do not hold the concept as odd, much less bizzare.

Wonderful. However, do you understand that looking at it objectively, symbolic cannibalism is pretty weird?

They're expressing themselves by dressing flamboyantly and declaring that they are proud of who they are. You're cannibalizing your leader...

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 6:58:23 PM
At 1/12/2012 4:23:22 PM, Physik wrote:

Wonderful. However, do you understand that looking at it objectively, symbolic cannibalism is pretty weird?

Any occurance that is viewed with a truly blank slate will never be labeled as bizzare. What your asking is if from a secular worldview with a viewpoint limited to naturalism is a symbolic act involving canabalism odd.

Any symbolic act can seem odd to a naturalist that does not view philosophy or religiosity in light of its reality.

If the majority does not have a problem with this issue, odds are you are the one swimming against the current.

They're expressing themselves by dressing flamboyantly and declaring that they are proud of who they are. You're cannibalizing your leader...

You missed my sarcasm to your constant viewpoint that asserts all claims as the same.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:00:19 PM
My view is that Christianity was originally a cult but graduated to "religion" once it had a firm grasp in Rome.

As to the exact date, I do not know. Maybe it was when people stopped through Christians to lions.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:25:04 PM
At 1/12/2012 6:58:23 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Any occurance that is viewed with a truly blank slate will never be labeled as bizzare. What your asking is if from a secular worldview with a viewpoint limited to naturalism is a symbolic act involving canabalism odd.

Any symbolic act can seem odd to a naturalist that does not view philosophy or religiosity in light of its reality.

If the majority does not have a problem with this issue, odds are you are the one swimming against the current.

Because the majority are a brought up with it every day, whilst having it proclaimed as 'normal'. Do you have trouble grasping the definition of the world 'objectively'?

You missed my sarcasm to your constant viewpoint that asserts all claims as the same.

What? When do I assert that all claims are the same?

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:27:00 PM

Seriously though, what? My viewpoint is that claims gain credibility when evidence is examined objectively.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:27:17 PM
At 1/12/2012 7:25:04 PM, Physik wrote:

Because the majority are a brought up with it every day, whilst having it proclaimed as 'normal'. Do you have trouble grasping the definition of the world 'objectively'?

You are attempting to assert your viewpoint is the 'clearly' objective viewpoint. Again such a concept cannot have an objective reality applied to it.

*facepalm
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:29:27 PM
At 1/12/2012 7:27:17 PM, Gileandos wrote:

You are attempting to assert your viewpoint is the 'clearly' objective viewpoint. Again such a concept cannot have an objective reality applied to it.

You want to dispute that looking at evidence objectively is not the objective viewpoint?

*facepalm

Elaborate.

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:39:27 PM
At 1/12/2012 7:29:27 PM, Physik wrote:

You want to dispute that looking at evidence objectively is not the objective viewpoint?

That is not at issue. The question is your capability of viewing something objective.
To be truly objective is to realize your culture finds canabalism odd.
A canabalistic society that believed in a mystic empowerment from consuming others flesh would find the concept completely normal.

To be truly objective would recognize nothing could be defined as 'objectively' odd.

*facepalm

Elaborate.

I've tried.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:45:55 PM
At 1/12/2012 7:39:27 PM, Gileandos wrote:

That is not at issue. The question is your capability of viewing something objective.
A canabalistic society that believed in a mystic empowerment from consuming others flesh would find the concept completely normal.

To be truly objective would recognize nothing could be defined as 'objectively' odd.

The point is, Christianity isn't a cannibalistic society, they just practice one odd example of symbolic cannibalism. You would consider a society based around vampire worship that consumes flesh and blood to gain mystical empowerment odd, no? If you would, then look at your own practice objectively, and both our viewpoints should arrive at the same conclusion.

*facepalm

Elaborate.

I've tried.

All you've said is "facepalm". How on earth does that constitute as trying?

Elaborate.

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:51:42 PM
Also, I will be back in two hours or so.

Time to run over some kangaroo's.

UnStupendousMan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 7:52:52 PM

What do you think

It's mainstream. Therefore, it is not 100% cult.
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 8:09:50 PM
At 1/12/2012 7:45:55 PM, Physik wrote:

The point is, Christianity isn't a cannibalistic society, they just practice one odd example of symbolic cannibalism. You would consider a society based around vampire worship that consumes flesh and blood to gain mystical empowerment odd, no? If you would, then look at your own practice objectively, and both our viewpoints should arrive at the same conclusion.

Again, if I had limited knowledge and did not understand that broader historical concept of vampirism, possessed merely a movie understanding as a surreal concept, then I might find vampirism odd.

You continue to miss the point that what you are calling objective is actually subjective.

When you understand the broad religious context that the Priest partook and ate of the sacrifice onthe alter in Judaism it is not an odd use as a symbolic concept or even a mystical one.

If I am limited to 20th century Hollywood and Public School systems for my framework then I could completely see it to be odd.

However, when I converted I set out to be truly objective and allowed myself to realize my worldview was limited to movies and public school.

*facepalm

Elaborate.

I've tried.

Elaborate.

If you missed the discussion in the other forums I can only shake my head and realize it was a discussion that truly went over your head.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 10:18:27 PM
At 1/12/2012 8:09:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:

Again, if I had limited knowledge and did not understand that broader historical concept of vampirism, possessed merely a movie understanding as a surreal concept, then I might find vampirism odd.

You continue to miss the point that what you are calling objective is actually subjective.

When you understand the broad religious context that the Priest partook and ate of the sacrifice onthe alter in Judaism it is not an odd use as a symbolic concept or even a mystical one.

If I am limited to 20th century Hollywood and Public School systems for my framework then I could completely see it to be odd.

However, when I converted I set out to be truly objective and allowed myself to realize my worldview was limited to movies and public school.

The overlying concept of vampirism is that by consuming something, you will gain the properties associated with it; I understand that perfectly well. In any other context, you would consider a practice such as symbolic cannibalism strange, bizarre or weird. But if the act is one that you practice on a regular basis, of course it will seem normal.

Don't accuse an impartial viewpoint as being subjective when your own 'objectivity' is due to an acquired sense of normality that is the result of repetition.

*facepalm

Elaborate.

I've tried.

Elaborate.

If you missed the discussion in the other forums I can only shake my head and realize it was a discussion that truly went over your head.

Care to link? I have no idea what your talking about.

In other news, that was such a ridiculously uneventful driving lesson -.-

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/12/2012 10:33:55 PM
At 1/12/2012 10:18:27 PM, Physik wrote:
At 1/12/2012 8:09:50 PM, Gileandos wrote:

The overlying concept of vampirism is that by consuming something, you will gain the properties associated with it; I understand that perfectly well. In any other context, you would consider a practice such as symbolic cannibalism strange, bizarre or weird. But if the act is one that you practice on a regular basis, of course it will seem normal.

Don't accuse an impartial viewpoint as being subjective when your own 'objectivity' is due to an acquired sense of normality that is the result of repetition.

Nothing you stated here seemed to address my point. Please clarify and restate.

*facepalm

Elaborate.

I've tried.

Elaborate.

Care to link? I have no idea what your talking about.

Here is one. I will not search down each of the discussions.
http://www.debate.org...

In other news, that was such a ridiculously uneventful driving lesson -.-