Jump to topic:

To the angry atheists...

bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:34:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
1st, note that I said AGNRY atheists. I am friends in real life with atheists,and we get along just fine. But it seems on here that many atheists strongly insult those who believe in any God. Why? Lets say for a moment that I'm wrong....There's no God. So what? What did I lose? Nothing! I enjoy going to the mosque, I enjoy praying, I enjoy fasting. I'm sure that the Christians here enjoy going to church, Jews to synagogues, Buddhists to temples, etc, etc. My religion put the fear that if I wasn't good and kind to other people I could be faced with punishment for eternity. I behaved while I was living. I was good to people. So, even if there is no God, religion helped me be a good person. Religion gives people comfort. I had severe anxiety for the longest time. I went to the mosque, and it just melted away. Was it just my brain tricking me? Maybe, but I don't care, all I care is that when I go to the Mosque, I feel great. So, cool it why don't ya?
-Tourism & Immigration minister for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
"hey, no Jerry springer here!"
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:35:28 AM
I probably shouldn't have said many, just a few, really
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:45:27 AM
At 1/13/2012 10:34:50 AM, bhatti1020 wrote:
1st, note that I said AGNRY atheists. I am friends in real life with atheists,and we get along just fine. But it seems on here that many atheists strongly insult those who believe in any God. Why? Lets say for a moment that I'm wrong....There's no God. So what? What did I lose? Nothing! I enjoy going to the mosque, I enjoy praying, I enjoy fasting. I'm sure that the Christians here enjoy going to church, Jews to synagogues, Buddhists to temples, etc, etc. My religion put the fear that if I wasn't good and kind to other people I could be faced with punishment for eternity. I behaved while I was living. I was good to people. So, even if there is no God, religion helped me be a good person. Religion gives people comfort. I had severe anxiety for the longest time. I went to the mosque, and it just melted away. Was it just my brain tricking me? Maybe, but I don't care, all I care is that when I go to the Mosque, I feel great. So, cool it why don't ya?

*waits for militant atheist army to arrive*

In the meantime, I agree with you completely. I find comfort in it, I love it. God is great.

Now if in the end I was wrong I lose nothing but if I was right I gain everything :)
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:47:21 AM
Thanks for the support, I'm waiting for it too. Either they'll attack Christianity with sutff that happened hundreds of years ago, or they'll attack Islam about terrorism
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:51:31 AM
At 1/13/2012 10:47:21 AM, bhatti1020 wrote:
Thanks for the support, I'm waiting for it too. Either they'll attack Christianity with sutff that happened hundreds of years ago, or they'll attack Islam about terrorism

These are their usual objections:

brain washing
religious wars
impeding progress
religion is stupid and illogical

But yeah no, I'll be here to support Theists all day everyday. I've got your back.
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:52:57 AM
Thanks, I'll need it, but i gtg in 15 mins. I'll be back in an hour est.
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:55:27 AM
At 1/13/2012 10:52:57 AM, bhatti1020 wrote:

Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:57:37 AM
I'm all for talking about atheism and theism. I like debating theology, but sometimes it gets really hostile. And I am talking about both atheists and theists. We need to remember we are all people worthy of respect.
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:58:20 AM
The funny thing is that I'm leaving to go to the Mosque for friday prayers, sorta like sunday service in Christianity
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 10:59:00 AM
At 1/13/2012 10:57:37 AM, johnnyboy54 wrote:
I'm all for talking about atheism and theism. I like debating theology, but sometimes it gets really hostile. And I am talking about both atheists and theists. We need to remember we are all people worthy of respect.

Couldn't agree more
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 3:18:52 PM
I also find comfort in believing in God along with many other people. It's fine if atheists don't feel the same way, but there's no need for them to insult theists and unfortunately I have seen a fair bit of that on this site.
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:14:47 PM
At 1/13/2012 10:34:50 AM, bhatti1020 wrote:
1st, note that I said AGNRY atheists. I am friends in real life with atheists,and we get along just fine. But it seems on here that many atheists strongly insult those who believe in any God. Why?

If some one is angry you would have to ask them why. One of the more common reasons how religion/faith immunes its self from evidence/reason/scrutiny/skepticism etc.

Why is this a problem ? cause it stops the conversation, and next thing you know you are burning witches for causing your crops to grow bad and flying planes into buildings to get virgins in paradise. Beliefs have consequences.

Lets say for a moment that I'm wrong....There's no God. So what? What did I lose? Nothing! I enjoy going to the mosque, I enjoy praying, I enjoy fasting. I'm sure that the Christians here enjoy going to church, Jews to synagogues, Buddhists to temples, etc, etc. My religion put the fear that if I wasn't good and kind to other people I could be faced with punishment for eternity. I behaved while I was living. I was good to people. So, even if there is no God, religion helped me be a good person. Religion gives people comfort. I had severe anxiety for the longest time. I went to the mosque, and it just melted away. Was it just my brain tricking me? Maybe, but I don't care, all I care is that when I go to the Mosque, I feel great. So, cool it why don't ya?:

Most will grant you religion can have benefits, but you have to weigh that up with the costs of religion. In the long term because of the immunity religion has I think you will find most atheists view religion overall causing more harm than good.

Two ways to argue for religion either a religion is true or religion is useful, the usefulness of a religion doesn't do anything to prove its true.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:36:33 PM
At 1/13/2012 10:55:27 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine.

And you accuse me of being close-minded? Lawl
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:39:23 PM
Two ways to argue for religion either a religion is true or religion is useful, the usefulness of a religion doesn't do anything to prove its true.

Too add to that, it's important to understand that the proposed usefulness of a religion is very debatable.

Take Islam for example. Apostasy is punished by death. Adultery is punished by death, etc. These teachings do nothing to improve society, are oppressive, and are in no way useful.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:44:15 PM
At 1/13/2012 4:36:33 PM, Physik wrote:
At 1/13/2012 10:55:27 AM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

And you accuse me of being close-minded? Lawl

Hell, that's just too good. Sigged.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:45:14 PM
At 1/13/2012 4:39:23 PM, Physik wrote:

Too add to that, it's important to understand that the proposed usefulness of a religion is very debatable.

Take Islam for example. Apostasy is punished by death. Adultery is punished by death, etc. These teachings do nothing to improve society, are oppressive, and are in no way useful.

Funny, because nowhere in the entire Qur'an does it mention stoning as a punishment. It mentions lashing, but not stoning. Death for apostasy isn't mentioned either so naturally, according to the Qur'an the only punishment for that would be in the hereafter. All the really nasty stuff you mention comes from hadith.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 4:54:20 PM
At 1/13/2012 4:45:14 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:
At 1/13/2012 4:39:23 PM, Physik wrote:

Funny, because nowhere in the entire Qur'an does it mention stoning as a punishment. It mentions lashing, but not stoning. Death for apostasy isn't mentioned either so naturally, according to the Qur'an the only punishment for that would be in the hereafter. All the really nasty stuff you mention comes from hadith.

Islam advocates and insists upon Sharia law. Sharia law contains the penalties I previously mentioned.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:01:18 PM
At 1/13/2012 4:54:20 PM, Physik wrote:

Islam advocates and insists upon Sharia law. Sharia law contains the penalties I previously mentioned.

Which is based on hadith rather than the Qur'an. Trust me, I know muslims who reject hadith altogether and hate sharia just as much as you. They have pretty strong arguments against it too.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:05:15 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:01:18 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

Which is based on hadith rather than the Qur'an. Trust me, I know muslims who reject hadith altogether and hate sharia just as much as you. They have pretty strong arguments against it too.

I seriously doubt said Muslims are the majority.

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:06:35 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:05:15 PM, Physik wrote:
At 1/13/2012 5:01:18 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

I seriously doubt said Muslims are the majority.

They're not the majority, but they exist. Some of the ones I know are even threatened by extremists.
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:06:48 PM
hey, so in Saudi they kill adulterers. At least there aren't shows like Jerry Springer and Maury because of that. They also kill paedophiles, rapists, murderers, thieves(rarely). At least we get rid of them, the system in America lets them get out and do it again, or have the taxpayers pay for their life in prison.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:11:11 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:06:48 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:
hey, so in Saudi they kill adulterers. At least there aren't shows like Jerry Springer and Maury because of that. They also kill paedophiles, rapists, murderers, thieves(rarely). At least we get rid of them, the system in America lets them get out and do it again, or have the taxpayers pay for their life in prison.

Adulterers shouldn't be killed though. It's a non-violent crime that doesn't warrant a violent punishment. Sure it destroys families, but usually things like that can be patched with a bit of counselling.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:11:29 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:06:48 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:

Don't try and justify a totalitarian dictatorship that advocates the murder of innocents by saying that they also kill people who deserve it. It doesn't work.

bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:13:38 PM
you're right. And it's only in the rarest cases that they're put to death. Probably a smaller amount than who are killed by their spouse finding out and taking it into they're own hands, but if i said that they'd jump on my with saying "Nu uh! it happens!
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:15:35 PM
Who was innocent that the saudi arabian government killed? can I get a link please?
I went to Saudi last year to see my Uncle and Aunt and their family, seemed ok to me. The americans that were working there seemed happy.
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:18:30 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:13:38 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:
you're right. And it's only in the rarest cases that they're put to death. Probably a smaller amount than who are killed by their spouse finding out and taking it into they're own hands, but if i said that they'd jump on my with saying "Nu uh! it happens!

I don't know, the numbers seem alarmingly high. Also, honour killings seem to be a major issue too.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:19:14 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:15:35 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:
Who was innocent that the saudi arabian government killed? can I get a link please?
I went to Saudi last year to see my Uncle and Aunt and their family, seemed ok to me. The americans that were working there seemed happy.

Your taking my use of the word innocent out of context. The adulteries and apostates and the undertakers of various other 'crimes' are all innocent of any wrong doing. Yet according to Sharia law and subsequently Islam, they are to be put to death.

bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:20:19 PM
Honor Killings are haram (forbidden). That's the backwards culture. Before Islam was around, arabs were burying baby girls alive because they favoured sons...
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:21:47 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:13:38 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:

Yet these people that take it into their own hands are protected by Sharia law.