Total Posts:23|Showing Posts:1-23
Jump to topic:

Is God's justice close to an eye for an eye?

GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 5:25:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago

There are many references in scripture that indicate that an eye for an eye is good justice. This notion that a penalty should fit the crime has even been adopted by most legal system in the world.

Leviticus 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

This rather good policy is often contradicted in other scriptures that call for death to sinners who have done much less in terms of harm or sin than causing a death. We are told to stone unruly children, fornicators, witches and so on to a rather long list.

God himself has either killed or had killed many, even children and babies who in no way could have killed anyone.

Scripture tells us to revere life yet God and many of the laws attributed to him seem to ignore completely any reverence to life. In fact, to me, scriptures seem to make life an extremely cheap commodity even as it shows how important we are supposed to be to God. His greatest achievement in fact that even angels are to bow before.

Should an eye for an eye be re-written by God and the bible to read ------ an eye for whatever the hell God, Jesus and the scriptures say?

This immoral killing goes right back to Eden with God killing Adam and Eve for following scripture and emulating God.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

When they did as asked, and this was recognized by God himself; Gen 3: 22 Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: He killed them by withholding the tree of life.

This issue of indiscriminate killing is an important contradiction in scriptures.

What do you think God's law is?

An eye for an eye or the punishment should fit the sin; or, kill even if the victim to be has not come anywhere near killing?

Regards
DL

http://www.youtube.com...

http://www.evilbible.com...
tkubok
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/13/2012 8:17:47 PM
Not really. No matter how small the offense, God will simply rectify the same justice; Hell.

A mass murderer who slaughters, and rapes a thousand 13 year old girls, goes to the same place that i do.

So it would be closer to "eternal torment for an eye, eternal torment for a tooth".
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 1:01:30 PM
At 1/13/2012 8:17:47 PM, tkubok wrote:
Not really. No matter how small the offense, God will simply rectify the same justice; Hell.

A mass murderer who slaughters, and rapes a thousand 13 year old girls, goes to the same place that i do.

So it would be closer to "eternal torment for an eye, eternal torment for a tooth".

After death, yes, that injustice will happen as far as believers are concerned. God is allowed to be unjust because he is of course, God. Believers do not care if he is moral or not.

What I want to address is here on earth. How can a believer know what punishment to impose when the range of punishment is all over the place? I don't think it's really all that possible to form any kind of coherent system of justice from what the bible gives. It appears to me to skip about from draconian, retributive, restorative and obviously substitutionary forms of justice and just about everything in between.

Regards
DL
darkman1015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 7:42:58 PM
Good question never really considered it I always felt we weren't supposed to judge, as we aren't God and all. However if since society needs laws and if you want to make those laws reflect the Bible or any holy book really I guess an eye for an eye would be scale and then if the crime was talked about directly from that book you use as reference then do whatever it says there. Personally I think laws should be made not based of religious teachings but societies view as a whole, not to say religious morals aren't involved in what is or isn't illegal just I don't feel a thief should lose his hand or anything like that.
Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/17/2012 8:01:10 PM
You are presuming to know that the killings were unwarranted. If we stay true to God being omniscient we can look at this differently. God being omniscient would have known that every person who was killed was not, and would not ever choose God and promote life. Therefore in their death he is allowing more life by not allowing the spread of their nature. Children dying can be looked at in one of two ways. First you have to remove the emotional component for a second and look at the logic. Perhaps God knew all of these children would become a next generation of evil men. Either way God knowing that death is a transition from this life to the next would (with his knowledge...not ours) have known that it would be greater for them to pass as children and have access to his kingdom then to grow into evil men and be cast from heaven. You, or I, or anybody cannot judge God's actions since we lack the ability to see all aspects of the future in relation to the present.

So in all we could definitely argue that God's killings / ordered killings was not out of spite, but out of love and caring for the future state of man.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 8:58:04 AM
At 1/17/2012 8:01:10 PM, Crede wrote:
You are presuming to know that the killings were unwarranted. If we stay true to God being omniscient we can look at this differently. God being omniscient would have known that every person who was killed was not, and would not ever choose God and promote life. Therefore in their death he is allowing more life by not allowing the spread of their nature. Children dying can be looked at in one of two ways. First you have to remove the emotional component for a second and look at the logic. Perhaps God knew all of these children would become a next generation of evil men. Either way God knowing that death is a transition from this life to the next would (with his knowledge...not ours) have known that it would be greater for them to pass as children and have access to his kingdom then to grow into evil men and be cast from heaven. You, or I, or anybody cannot judge God's actions since we lack the ability to see all aspects of the future in relation to the present.

So in all we could definitely argue that God's killings / ordered killings was not out of spite, but out of love and caring for the future state of man.

Killing children and babies is good for them.
Ok.
Good logic there friend.
You must be a Christian.

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 9:01:12 AM
At 1/17/2012 7:42:58 PM, darkman1015 wrote:
Good question never really considered it I always felt we weren't supposed to judge, as we aren't God and all. However if since society needs laws and if you want to make those laws reflect the Bible or any holy book really I guess an eye for an eye would be scale and then if the crime was talked about directly from that book you use as reference then do whatever it says there. Personally I think laws should be made not based of religious teachings but societies view as a whole, not to say religious morals aren't involved in what is or isn't illegal just I don't feel a thief should lose his hand or anything like that.

So your bottom line is that you would not impose a draconian penalty.
You would deny your God his justice. Right?

Regards
DL
darkman1015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 9:18:05 AM
At 1/18/2012 9:01:12 AM, GreatestIam wrote:

Regards
DL

I don't feel I need to prove God with justice he is all powerful than he can get it himself, he never asked me to go do anything personally so who am I to judge and persecute anyone else.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 10:16:58 AM
At 1/18/2012 9:18:05 AM, darkman1015 wrote:

Regards
DL

I don't feel I need to prove God with justice he is all powerful than he can get it himself, he never asked me to go do anything personally so who am I to judge and persecute anyone else.

Ok. Next time someone is doing evil to those you love, do not judge them. Just let them continue to do evil.
Your God will like to see you doing that.

Regards
DL
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 1:25:11 PM
Gods justice:
-Romans 9:18
So then he has mercy on whomever he wills, and he hardens whomever he wills.
-Romans 5:7-9
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
Ephesians 1:5
he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,
Psalm 115:3
Our God is in the heavens; he does all that he pleases.
Ephesians 1:11
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

I would say that Gods justice 'system' is that He does whatever pleases Him. Its a mirror of His attributes.
I suppose when it comes to justice systems you have a limited amount or choices. One can bestow justice, injustice, or non-justice (mercy). Since all of mankind has been condemned God can choose to do what He wills. Because God is good, holy and without sin He is incapable of injustice leaving justice and mercy to be chosen from.
darkman1015
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 2:50:03 PM
At 1/18/2012 10:16:58 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 1/18/2012 9:18:05 AM, darkman1015 wrote:

Regards
DL

Ok. Next time someone is doing evil to those you love, do not judge them. Just let them continue to do evil.
Your God will like to see you doing that.

Regards
DL

I am a US soldier and the only conservative thing about me is my stance on gun rights I'm for self defense and defense of people a person loves I just mean I won't go out and round wrong-doers up in the name of Allah I don't need to say you are an adulterer so you shall be stoned if the crime falls within the nations laws let him be punished if you shoot at me and miss I will kill you but that's different than saying the Bible or the Qu'ran order people be killed for this and then killing them when there crime doesn't call for it based on our own logic that's what fanatics do.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 2:56:35 PM
At 1/13/2012 5:25:31 PM, GreatestIam wrote:

There are many references in scripture that indicate that an eye for an eye is good justice. This notion that a penalty should fit the crime has even been adopted by most legal system in the world.

Leviticus 24:20 Breach for breach, eye for eye, tooth for tooth: as he hath caused a blemish in a man, so shall it be done to him again.

This rather good policy is often contradicted in other scriptures that call for death to sinners who have done much less in terms of harm or sin than causing a death. We are told to stone unruly children, fornicators, witches and so on to a rather long list.

God himself has either killed or had killed many, even children and babies who in no way could have killed anyone.

Scripture tells us to revere life yet God and many of the laws attributed to him seem to ignore completely any reverence to life. In fact, to me, scriptures seem to make life an extremely cheap commodity even as it shows how important we are supposed to be to God. His greatest achievement in fact that even angels are to bow before.

Should an eye for an eye be re-written by God and the bible to read ------ an eye for whatever the hell God, Jesus and the scriptures say?

This immoral killing goes right back to Eden with God killing Adam and Eve for following scripture and emulating God.

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

When they did as asked, and this was recognized by God himself; Gen 3: 22 Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil: He killed them by withholding the tree of life.

This issue of indiscriminate killing is an important contradiction in scriptures.

An eye for an eye or the punishment should fit the sin; or, kill even if the victim to be has not come anywhere near killing?

Regards
DL

It is eye for an eye different places in history when it was convenient.
We saw a change in the New Testament- Gospels, Pauline, Deutero-Pauline, and Pseudo Pauline to "If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 3:31:49 PM
At 1/18/2012 2:56:35 PM, comoncents wrote:

Regards
DL

We saw a change in the New Testament- Gospels, Pauline, Deutero-Pauline, and Pseudo Pauline to "If anyone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also."

Alot of people think God 'changed' in between the testaments lolz. Have you never read Revelations? Or how it pleased God to crucify His son? Paul handed people over to Satan for the destruction of their flesh. God kills 2 Christians for not being honest with the tithe. The NT is not sugar and rainbows. Gods judgement is certainly not convenient. I see no convenient change between the OT and the NT. Its the wrath of God appeased by His son for those He chose to bestow mercy on.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 4:59:09 PM
At 1/18/2012 3:31:49 PM, joneszj wrote:

Regards
DL

Alot of people think God 'changed' in between the testaments lolz.

God did not change, the people did. Society did.

Have you never read Revelations?

It is a part of my concentration. The question is, have you really read it with its historical context instead of a dispensationalist view?

Or how it pleased God to crucify His son? Paul handed people over to Satan for the destruction of their flesh. God kills 2 Christians for not being honest with the tithe. The NT is not sugar and rainbows.

No, Jesus is sugar and rainbows, the other parts are another man made add on.

Gods judgement is certainly not convenient.

The bible says he is...
From Old Testament down.

I see no convenient change between the OT and the NT. Its the wrath of God appeased by His son for those He chose to bestow mercy on.
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:25:06 PM
I never quite understood this. God is all about slaughter and genocide in the old testament (actually, it's quite similar in nature to the Iliad in many ways).

What I don't understand, is that humans were condemned by God for their ancestors being tricked into eating a fruit that he created. He took pity at them being subjected to his own wrathe and in order to appease his own anger at his creatures being tricked by his creation into eating his own fruit, he sends himself down to earth in a particular form to die in order that he can absolve humans of their sin.

I can imagine that God would be many things, but a Guy Richie film is not one of them.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:29:17 PM
At 1/18/2012 4:59:09 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 1/18/2012 3:31:49 PM, joneszj wrote:

Regards
DL

Alot of people think God 'changed' in between the testaments lolz.

God did not change, the people did. Society did.

People always change. But are you saying that scripture is not God breathed? I may be miss reading you.

Have you never read Revelations?

It is a part of my concentration. The question is, have you really read it with its historical context instead of a dispensationalist view?

I have read a few different interpretations. I am still studying them. I am not a dispensationalist for sure though.

Or how it pleased God to crucify His son? Paul handed people over to Satan for the destruction of their flesh. God kills 2 Christians for not being honest with the tithe. The NT is not sugar and rainbows.

No, Jesus is sugar and rainbows, the other parts are another man made add on.

Can you prove this?

Gods judgement is certainly not convenient.

The bible says he is...
From Old Testament down.

Convenient for who? Men tend to tremble in fear when facing the wrath and judgement of God. Thats not convenient.

I see no convenient change between the OT and the NT. Its the wrath of God appeased by His son for those He chose to bestow mercy on.

I am not a dispensationalist :) I lean towards covenant theology but am a newbie to say the least on it.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:29:27 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:25:06 PM, Ramshutu wrote:
I never quite understood this. God is all about slaughter and genocide in the old testament (actually, it's quite similar in nature to the Iliad in many ways).

What I don't understand, is that humans were condemned by God for their ancestors being tricked into eating a fruit that he created.

Not in the Koran, ha! Adam was not tricked, and there was no "serpent." A better story if you ask me. More reasoned, if that story can give way to reason.

He took pity at them being subjected to his own wrathe and in order to appease his own anger at his creatures being tricked by his creation into eating his own fruit, he sends himself down to earth in a particular form to die in order that he can absolve humans of their sin.

I can imagine that God would be many things, but a Guy Richie film is not one of them.
Crede
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 7:01:51 PM
At 1/18/2012 8:58:04 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 1/17/2012 8:01:10 PM, Crede wrote:

Killing children and babies is good for them.
Ok.
Good logic there friend.
You must be a Christian.

Regards
DL

Thanks for not reading anything I wrote. I guess your not looking for an actual discussion.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:08:43 AM
At 1/18/2012 1:25:11 PM, joneszj wrote:
Gods justice:
7 For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die— 8 but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. 9 Since, therefore, we have now been justified by his blood, much more shall we be saved by him from the wrath of God.
he predestined us for adoption as sons through Jesus Christ, according to the purpose of his will,
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

I would say that Gods justice 'system' is that He does whatever pleases Him. Its a mirror of His attributes.
I suppose when it comes to justice systems you have a limited amount or choices. One can bestow justice, injustice, or non-justice (mercy). Since all of mankind has been condemned God can choose to do what He wills. Because God is good, holy and without sin He is incapable of injustice leaving justice and mercy to be chosen from.

How can you fathom the unfathomable God?

Regards
DL
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 10:14:07 AM

And it also says to exceed this standard and kill for many lighter infractions.

Which does your God demand you do?

Regards
DL
Ramshutu
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 11:46:48 AM
At 1/19/2012 10:08:43 AM, GreatestIam wrote:
At 1/18/2012 1:25:11 PM, joneszj wrote:
Gods justice:

How can you fathom the unfathomable God?

Regards
DL

Because fathoming God is one of the main and underpinning principles over which all religions operate. The whole point of religion is to provide definition of God, what he wants and what we should do to meet his expectations.

Most religious people will conveniently 'fathom' God, or come up with arguments and description of how their religion actually makes sense, and only invoke the 'unfathomable' argument when confronted with a logical paradox.
GreatestIam
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 12:26:47 PM
Yes. The invention of the God of the Gaps.

IOW. An escape route for theists who deny logic and reason for faith. The belief in nothing.

A damned good way to run from reality.

Regards
DL