Jump to topic:

Abortion and Abiogenesis

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 5:12:29 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I remember reading this awhile ago on Reddit, but since I can't find the actual thing...

Anti-abortion activists consistently claim that life begins at conception, when a sperm makes contact with an egg.

To assume that, one would have to also claim that sperm and eggs are not alive, else wise men are mass-murders and woman are serial killers.

So would this not mean that a living thing has come from two non-living things, thereby proving abiogenesis?

(I'm not being completely serious, but I'm curious to see how people respond)
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 10:50:26 AM
At 1/14/2012 5:12:29 AM, Physik wrote:
I remember reading this awhile ago on Reddit, but since I can't find the actual thing...

Anti-abortion activists consistently claim that life begins at conception, when a sperm makes contact with an egg.

To assume that, one would have to also claim that sperm and eggs are not alive, else wise men are mass-murders and woman are serial killers.

So would this not mean that a living thing has come from two non-living things, thereby proving abiogenesis?

The sperm and egg is properly defined as biological essences of the living parents.
Very distinct from both living and non living.
Parents = living
rock = non living
sperm = biological essence of a living being.

When these two biological essences of the living parents combine they form a new living being.

Same concept of cutting off an arm does not murder a person.

Can I use this as another example of again, yourself, improperly using definitions, specifically by not understanding the distinctions of biological essence, living and non-living.

Once combined they have created a "new" life and a new living essence has started.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 11:27:47 AM
That's a little like saying, that by burning paint and paper, your destroying a work of art.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:34:50 PM
At 1/14/2012 10:50:26 AM, Gileandos wrote:

The sperm and egg is properly defined as biological essences of the living parents.
Parents = living
rock = non living

When these two biological essences of the living parents combine they form a new living being.

Can I use this as another example of again, yourself, improperly using definitions, specifically by not understanding the distinctions of biological essence, living and non-living.

Once combined they have created a "new" life and a new living essence has started.

You will notice my specific mention that "I'm not being completely serious". So while I thank you for your response, the condescending undertones were unnecessary.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:35:32 PM
At 1/14/2012 11:27:47 AM, OberHerr wrote:
That's a little like saying, that by burning paint and paper, your destroying a work of art.

Your burnt paper and paint? HAVE YOU NO APPRECIATION FOR ART?

Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:47:58 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:34:50 PM, Physik wrote:

Parents = living
rock = non living

You will notice my specific mention that "I'm not being completely serious". So while I thank you for your response, the condescending undertones were unnecessary.

That is a misuse of the word of condescend.
My response was neither haughty or emotionally superior.
I have not been mean toward you since day one. I would like an apology for your equating a superior response to the line of argumentation you put forward to a sense of haughtiness.

My response was factually succinct. I merely responded to the line of argumentation and showed that even to present it would be evidence to a lack of understand on what constitutes "life" or "essense" or "biological".
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:50:24 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:35:32 PM, Physik wrote:

-.-

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:50:37 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:47:58 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 1/14/2012 3:34:50 PM, Physik wrote:

Parents = living
rock = non living

That is a misuse of the word of condescend.
My response was neither haughty or emotionally superior.
I have not been mean toward you since day one. I would like an apology for your equating a superior response to the line of argumentation you put forward to a sense of haughtiness.

My response was factually succinct. I merely responded to the line of argumentation and showed that even to present it would be evidence to a lack of understand on what constitutes "life" or "essense" or "biological".

Your use of the word 'again' is clearly a reference to our alternate thread, in which you have most assuredly treated me in a condescending manner.

By the way, I would appreciate a response in that thread as well.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:51:21 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:50:24 PM, OberHerr wrote:

-.-

So, are you going to respond?

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:52:32 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:51:21 PM, OberHerr wrote:

-.-

I thought it was pretty clear that I made a joke...

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:54:07 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:52:32 PM, Physik wrote:

-.-

About what I posted, or the topic itself? I get you made a joke about what I posted.

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 3:55:59 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:54:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:

-.-

About what I posted, or the topic itself? I get you made a joke about what I posted.

Mostly about what you posted, but the topic itself was a joke as well.

OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 4:03:55 PM
At 1/14/2012 3:55:59 PM, Physik wrote:
At 1/14/2012 3:54:07 PM, OberHerr wrote:

-.-

Mostly about what you posted, but the topic itself was a joke as well.

Ok.

16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 4:18:12 PM

find it doe proof

Yes

No because the sperm and the egg are separate beings and not fully human, it is only fully human (XY chromosomes or XX chromosomes) to be a full human. So only at conception does a full human with rights come along.

Nope, because it is 2 living things with no rights making 1 living things with rights. So it was all living things.

I know, I have nothing better to do so...
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 4:22:26 PM
No because the sperm and the egg are separate beings and not fully human, it is only fully human (XY chromosomes or XX chromosomes) to be a full human. So only at conception does a full human with rights come along.

Did you just claim that someone with Klinefelter's Syndrome or Turners Syndrome doesn't have rights?