Jump to topic:

God vs Religion

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 11:14:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In my observations, many arguments against God aren't actually motivated by the proposition that God exists but rather all the other beliefs that go along with God (religion)

I think its useful to separate the two claims those being....

1) God exists (A pure ontological proposition)

2) Religion, claims about God that go beyond that God exists (For example God wants us to kill homosexauls, witches and not allow abortions, the bible/koran is communication from God etc)

It seems the main form of objections are against religion, now for good reason, cause religion has real world consequences and religion allows for certain immunity and cover for beliefs from reason, evidence and skepticism.

So what is my point here ? I think its useful to acknowledged the difference between an objection against the existence of God and the objection against a religious claim.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/14/2012 11:17:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/14/2012 11:14:33 PM, Illegalcombatant wrote:
In my observations, many arguments against God aren't actually motivated by the proposition that God exists but rather all the other beliefs that go along with God (religion)

I think its useful to separate the two claims those being....

1) God exists (A pure ontological proposition)

2) Religion, claims about God that go beyond that God exists (For example God wants us to kill homosexauls, witches and not allow abortions, the bible/koran is communication from God etc)

It seems the main form of objections are against religion, now for good reason, cause religion has real world consequences and religion allows for certain immunity and cover for beliefs from reason, evidence and skepticism.

So what is my point here ? I think its useful to acknowledged the difference between an objection against the existence of God and the objection against a religious claim.

I think you just described deism.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico