Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:21:16 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Richard Dawkins - The sophisticated Evolutionary Biologist
Christopher Hitchens - The pugnacious, courageous, verbose Writer
Daniel Dennet - The mindful Philosopher
Sam Harris - The articulate, keen-witted, laconic Philosopher and Neuroscientist

All have a history of mercilessly slaughtering their opponents in debate, writing brave books on the dangers and fundamental idiocy of religion and superstition, and working tirelessly in the fight for freedom and truth.

However, you are faced with the choice of which is your favorite.

Christopher Hitchens was my favorite for several years because of his intelligence and wit, until Sam Harris who is the young, concise New Atheist amazed me with his witty debating skills.
DRUG HARM: http://imgur.com...
Primal Diet. Lifting. Reading. Psychedelics. Cold-Approach Pickup. Music.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 6:37:47 AM
To be honest, none of them shine in their attempts to make a case for atheism. Dawkins and Dennett endorse a weird and terrible argument that's logically invalid and completely unconvincing. Harris hints at the problem of evil, but doesn't really develop it, and uses terrible arguments in this area also (e.g. where did God come from), and Hitchens doesn't really advance any sort of argument at all.

In saying that, I agree that Harris in particular is pretty good at conversational debates, and all of them make relevant and interesting points about religion in society, in politics and so on. All in all, Dawkins is definitely the best of them. An expert in his field, a great communicator and pioneer of evolution and I think it's even arguable he has made a sizeable contribution to the philosophy of religion, via his blind watchmaker book, which has been described as the best refutation of the more traditional teleological arguments.
Meatros
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 7:45:13 AM
I'd say Harris or Hitchens, because of the power of their rhetoric. None of them are particularly great at religious argumentation, IMO. Dennett should be miles better since he's a philosopher, but it seems that he doesn't take religion seriously enough to do a cursory read over the top theistic philosophers.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 7:55:50 AM
Of the four - I have read only Dawkins. Reading him - I realized how flawed the so called 'scientific world' is.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 11:11:26 AM
I dislike all of them. I prefer the "orthodox" ahtiests--people like Theodore Drange.
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 11:18:29 AM
Dawkins is smart not to accept a challenge from Craig, he'd be way of his comfort zone. There's no doubt that Dawkins is very intelligent, but he's clearly more of "pop philosopher" or a scientist dipping into philosophy. I haven't heard much from Dennett, and Hitchens seemed to be more about documenting the effects of religion ("God is not Great") - but both Dawkins and Hitchens are very entertaining to hear speak.

Harris seems to be more acquainted with theistic arguments, and IMO "The moral landscape" was a big step up from his earlier works. He brings a unique perspective (neuroscience) to the field which really gives him promise.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:43:56 PM
Hitchens and Harris are, in my opinion, the best modern writers of social critisism and commentary we have. Dawkins and Dennet are close seconds. I think these writers are better thought of a brilliant thinkers instead of simply atheist writer (new atheists). If they never attacted religion they would still be highly regarded by those who were fortunate enough to read them.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 12:46:56 PM
via his blind watchmaker book, which has been described as the best refutation of the more traditional teleological arguments.

I'll have to look into this. Which book is this? It's funny how teleological arguments have so clearly been hijacked to imply the necessity of a mind to "ground" it. Aristotle certainly never had that in mind with his writings on teleology.
unitedandy
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 1:43:43 PM
At 1/18/2012 12:46:56 PM, OMGJustinBieber wrote:
via his blind watchmaker book, which has been described as the best refutation of the more traditional teleological arguments.

I'll have to look into this. Which book is this? It's funny how teleological arguments have so clearly been hijacked to imply the necessity of a mind to "ground" it. Aristotle certainly never had that in mind with his writings on teleology.

http://www.amazon.co.uk...
cameronl35
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:15:23 PM
At 1/18/2012 5:21:16 AM, Wallstreetatheist wrote:
Richard Dawkins - The sophisticated Evolutionary Biologist
Christopher Hitchens - The pugnacious, courageous, verbose Writer
Daniel Dennet - The mindful Philosopher
Sam Harris - The articulate, keen-witted, laconic Philosopher and Neuroscientist

All have a history of mercilessly slaughtering their opponents in debate, writing brave books on the dangers and fundamental idiocy of religion and superstition, and working tirelessly in the fight for freedom and truth.

However, you are faced with the choice of which is your favorite.

Christopher Hitchens was my favorite for several years because of his intelligence and wit, until Sam Harris who is the young, concise New Atheist amazed me with his witty debating skills.

I prefer Sam Harris, Dawkins is ridiculous.
"They call it the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it."
-George Carlin (R.I.P.)

"MLK day is simply racism against whites."
-Lordknukle, only a nuance away from Stalin
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 5:17:03 PM
All of them seem pretty ridiculous to me. Keep in mind I'm not an atheist though. I can respect them as scientists though as I know Dawkins, for example, has contributed a lot to evolutionary biology.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 7:02:20 PM
I haven't read any of their books. I've seen video recordings of em though.

I think New Atheists are misguided. But as the name implies, they are like the Christian who on conversion become very open about their religion to the point of just being a pest.

When a "New Atheist" matures, like the Christian, they either mellow out or become fanatical arse wipes.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/18/2012 11:48:29 PM
At 1/18/2012 7:02:20 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
I haven't read any of their books. I've seen video recordings of em though.

I think New Atheists are misguided. But as the name implies, they are like the Christian who on conversion become very open about their religion to the point of just being a pest.

When a "New Atheist" matures, like the Christian, they either mellow out or become fanatical arse wipes.

When people say "new atheist", I don't always know if they are talking about the 4 writers we've been discussing or who.

If your talking about the writers themselves, I would point out that they are doing nothing rhetorically improper. They take the position that all religions are man-made and then martial arguments in support of that position. They aren't shrill or irascible and even if they were, it would be an ad hominem to point it out.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 9:21:42 AM
At 1/18/2012 11:48:29 PM, vbaculum wrote:

If your talking about the writers themselves, I would point out that they are doing nothing rhetorically improper.

Lol?

They take the position that all religions are man-made and then martial arguments in support of that position. They aren't shrill or irascible and even if they were, it would be an ad hominem to point it out.

Yes, they are shrill and irascible and no it's not necessarily an ad hominem to point it out. It would be if one claimed their arguments suck because they're shrill and irascible. I'm saying that they're shrill and irascible and their arguments suck.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 11:05:25 AM
At 1/19/2012 9:21:42 AM, popculturepooka wrote:

If your talking about the writers themselves, I would point out that they are doing nothing rhetorically improper.

Lol?

Oh, you mean because their blasphemous?

They take the position that all religions are man-made and then martial arguments in support of that position. They aren't shrill or irascible and even if they were, it would be an ad hominem to point it out.

Yes, they are shrill and irascible and no it's not necessarily an ad hominem to point it out. It would be if one claimed their arguments suck because they're shrill and irascible. I'm saying that they're shrill and irascible and their arguments suck.

I meant that their tone and style is irrelevent to their arguments, but I get your point.

Anyway, name the worst anti-religous argument they collectivly make.

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 12:13:54 PM
Give it a few hundred years. The words of these authors will become religious dogma. The cosmic joke is already working here with the set up.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 1:40:06 PM
At 1/19/2012 12:13:54 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Give it a few hundred years. The words of these authors will become religious dogma. The cosmic joke is already working here with the set up.

Wouldn't make anything they say untrue in the least.

But, how could words like "all religions are man-made" or "faith is a source tremendous suffering" become religious dogma? If they were promulgated as such they would be transparently self-refuting.

Besides, religion will have completely vanished from the planet in a few hundred years (unless a huge war sets us back).

InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 2:59:18 PM
At 1/19/2012 1:40:06 PM, vbaculum wrote:

Besides, religion will have completely vanished from the planet in a few hundred years (unless a huge war sets us back).

I doubt that. Even if the current existing religions were to die out people would find something else to believe in. The only thing I think would be likely to happen is more people becoming like me and being dissatisfied with clergy.
Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:25:55 PM

But, how could words like "all religions are man-made" or "faith is a source tremendous suffering" become religious dogma? If they were promulgated as such they would be transparently self-refuting.

Baseless assertion.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:26:25 PM
@vbac

It hasn't stopped religions from forming before. Religion is a tool that is meant to educate honest dipsh1ts indirectly. It is also a tool for gauging how shytty a dishonest person is.
OMGJustinBieber
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:27:39 PM

Have you seen the Richard Dawkins south park episode? This is what that post reminded me of.
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 4:56:24 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:26:25 PM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
@vbac

It hasn't stopped religions from forming before.

Not sure what you mean by "it".

Religion is a tool that is meant to educate honest dipsh1ts indirectly.

Hopefully, in 200 years we will have better tools to educate people with so there will be no need for religion (at least from the perspective of social control).

It is also a tool for gauging how shytty a dishonest person is.

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 5:01:27 PM
At 1/19/2012 4:25:55 PM, Jon1 wrote:

Baseless assertion.

True, but that doesn't mean I can't back it up. I didn't want to derail the thread any more but if you want, I can tell you why I think religion will gradually die out.

Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 6:47:00 PM
At 1/19/2012 6:41:53 PM, Wnope wrote:
I choose C. Neil deGrasse Tyson

http://www.youtube.com...

http://www.youtube.com...

Best short speech summarizing blunt facts about faith and science. Better than how Dawkins et al approach things.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 7:46:42 PM
At 1/19/2012 6:41:53 PM, Wnope wrote:
I choose C. Neil deGrasse Tyson

He's not a "new" atheist. They tend to have very distinctive traits.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 7:49:35 PM
At 1/19/2012 11:05:25 AM, vbaculum wrote:

Lol?

I meant that their tone and style is irrelevent to their arguments, but I get your point.

They collectively make? I don't know of any argument they "collectively" make but I can point out individual arguments each of them make that are awful. E.g. "boeing 747 gambit" for Dawkins.
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/19/2012 7:51:01 PM

Isn't that what some Enlightenment folk were saying hundreds of years ago?
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 11:31:18 AM
At 1/19/2012 7:49:35 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 1/19/2012 11:05:25 AM, vbaculum wrote:

Lol?

They collectively make? I don't know of any argument they "collectively" make but I can point out individual arguments each of them make that are awful. E.g. "boeing 747 gambit" for Dawkins.

In my mind, deism and speculation that the universe had a designer are much more legitimate endevors than what we commonly call religion which makes many more unneeded assumptions. So for me, this isn't an anti-religious argument.

But I would ask you:

Who created the creator?

Isn't a creator an unneccesary assumption thus a violaton of Occam's razor?

Aren't we only using theistic language to explain the origin of the universe because we have inherited theistic memes from or paleolithic forebears?

vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 11:44:11 AM
At 1/19/2012 7:51:01 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Isn't that what some Enlightenment folk were saying hundreds of years ago?

If so, I am in agreement with them and I think they were correct.

If progress has been slow, I would point out that quite a few wars have occured since then to slow the progress of our psychological emancipation not to mention a lot of failed attempts at designing societies. In places where societies have flourished (Europe, Japan, etc.) , secularism and disbelief have flourished as well and will continue to do so.