Total Posts:10|Showing Posts:1-10
Jump to topic:

Do Mormons believe that God had a father?

joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 12:09:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
There was not enough space in the topic section so I will expound here:
Do Mormons believe that God the Father had a father and that his father had a father etc.?

"...and John discovered that God the Father of Jesus Christ had a Father, you may suppose that He had a Father also. Where was there ever a son without a father? And where was there ever a father without first being a son? Whenever did a tree or anything spring into existence without a progenitor? And everything comes in this way...Hence if Jesus had a Father, can we not believe that He had a Father also?..."
Teachings of Joseph Smith Section Six 1843-44, p.373

I have two questions about this:
1. is this a doctrine taught by the official Mormon church?
2. if it is, how can it be logically consistent that God created all things (everywhere from every time) and yet had a father, who also was succeeded by a father, etc.?
tyler90az
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 12:56:58 PM
At 1/20/2012 12:09:26 PM, joneszj wrote:
Do Mormons believe that God the Father had a father and that his father had a father etc.?

"...and John discovered that God the Father of Jesus Christ had a Father, you may suppose that He had a Father also. Where was there ever a son without a father? And where was there ever a father without first being a son? Whenever did a tree or anything spring into existence without a progenitor? And everything comes in this way...Hence if Jesus had a Father, can we not believe that He had a Father also?..."

2. if it is, how can it be logically consistent that God created all things (everywhere from every time) and yet had a father, who also was succeeded by a father, etc.?

I have answered the question multiple different times in other threads. Quit playing games...
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 3:06:16 PM
At 1/20/2012 12:56:58 PM, tyler90az wrote:
At 1/20/2012 12:09:26 PM, joneszj wrote:

I have answered the question multiple different times in other threads. Quit playing games...

No you did not. Post what your answer is here and please use the reference. you answered one question from the previous post by quoting Smith when I specifically asked for a verse from the bible. More importantly your response had nothing to do with whether or not God the father had a father. So please. Answer the questions.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 1:08:54 PM
I can't believe I forgot about this, this is for you joneszj.

http://lds.org...

The Bible Dictionary is the official dictionary of Mormon beliefs, with scriptural reference. I didn't mention it because it is included at the end of the Bible produced by Mormons. Really good source if you want clarification on their official doctrine.
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 1:27:34 PM
At 1/22/2012 1:08:54 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

The Bible Dictionary is the official dictionary of Mormon beliefs, with scriptural reference. I didn't mention it because it is included at the end of the Bible produced by Mormons. Really good source if you want clarification on their official doctrine.

Thanks Jaxson I did see it in a link you provided at another time. But I have a question about the accuracy of its own terms for use of understanding Mormon doctrine. Every Mormon I know believes that God the Father was once a man before He was God. That is not specified anywhere I looked in the dictionary. If it is not annotated as being official Mormon doctrine then why do all Mormons believe it? If I missed where it mentions this please let me know :)
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 2:00:34 PM
At 1/22/2012 1:27:34 PM, joneszj wrote:

Thanks Jaxson I did see it in a link you provided at another time. But I have a question about the accuracy of its own terms for use of understanding Mormon doctrine. Every Mormon I know believes that God the Father was once a man before He was God. That is not specified anywhere I looked in the dictionary. If it is not annotated as being official Mormon doctrine then why do all Mormons believe it? If I missed where it mentions this please let me know :)

Official Mormon doctrine is generally reserved for the basic principles of the gospel. They have the attitude of presenting official doctrine in a sort of 'Gospel 1010' starter class. Then, they encourage people to discover more 'advanced' truths through personal study, consideration, and prayer.

You can argue that the words of the Prophets are considered scripture, and in a way they are, but they are different from the scriptures in one key point. All official scripture in the LDS church is reviewed and approved by the prophet and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and voted on by the body of the Church to be canonical.

You are correct that it is a basic belief of all(nearly, at least) Mormons that God was once a man, but as to the details of what that entails or how it happened, it is up to personal consideration.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 2:16:18 PM
At 1/22/2012 2:00:34 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Official Mormon doctrine is generally reserved for the basic principles of the gospel. They have the attitude of presenting official doctrine in a sort of 'Gospel 1010' starter class. Then, they encourage people to discover more 'advanced' truths through personal study, consideration, and prayer.

You can argue that the words of the Prophets are considered scripture, and in a way they are, but they are different from the scriptures in one key point. All official scripture in the LDS church is reviewed and approved by the prophet and Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and voted on by the body of the Church to be canonical.

You are correct that it is a basic belief of all(nearly, at least) Mormons that God was once a man, but as to the details of what that entails or how it happened, it is up to personal consideration.

Are the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, or the prophet (I am assuming this is Joseph Smith) considered inerrant?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 4:39:52 PM
At 1/22/2012 2:16:18 PM, joneszj wrote:

Are the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, or the prophet (I am assuming this is Joseph Smith) considered inerrant?

The prophet right now is Thomas S. Monson, whenever a prophet dies one of the twelve apostles becomes the new prophet.

They are considered inerrant when they are speaking under the authority of God, but as any other human they are prone to opinion and mistakes. Brigham Young said it best, in my opinion, when he said (paraphrased) 'Don't do what I say just because it's me saying it. Instead, listen to what I say, ponder on it, and go pray to God and ask him if it's correct'.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 2:43:31 PM
At 1/22/2012 4:39:52 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 1/22/2012 2:16:18 PM, joneszj wrote:

The prophet right now is Thomas S. Monson, whenever a prophet dies one of the twelve apostles becomes the new prophet.

They are considered inerrant when they are speaking under the authority of God, but as any other human they are prone to opinion and mistakes. Brigham Young said it best, in my opinion, when he said (paraphrased) 'Don't do what I say just because it's me saying it. Instead, listen to what I say, ponder on it, and go pray to God and ask him if it's correct'.

What determines a prophet speaks "under the authority of God"? A vote? A meeting? If it lines up with your scriptures?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 7:41:37 PM
At 1/23/2012 2:43:31 PM, joneszj wrote:
What determines a prophet speaks "under the authority of God"? A vote? A meeting? If it lines up with your scriptures?

Personally, I depend on confirmation through the Holy Spirit that something is true. Many LDS prophets have taught that as well.

There are times the LDS prophets come right out and say that they are speaking under the authority of God about a certain subject, so you could consider those times as such, as well as any times you feel confirmation that they are speaking that way.

Also, General Conference addresses can be considered in this category. The prophet addresses the Church as a whole at those times.

Prophets are people too, who make mistakes, tell jokes, etc... I've seen many times where someone has quoted a prophet who was joking around, or just talking to friends and family(just a family discussion). That's one of the problems with looking at 'collections' of everything the early prophets have said. Joseph Smith had a sense of humor, but it's hard to see(especially out of context) if he was being serious about a topic or not. That's why I always prefer to go to official published sources.