Under Christianity, what is a soul?

Jon1
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 4:42:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I am awfully confused :(

Can Christians (and others) help me out? Any help would be appreciated.

Do all men have it? If so, do all children have it?
Let's say that all humans have souls. Do all,hence, animals have souls? Why? At which point in human evolution did we gain a soul? Had we at some point a half-soul? Hypothetically, would a man who is way more evolved than we be more advanced soul wise.

Could robots have souls? What about a human clone? Could a robot that is like a man gain a soul?

Can souls change as men change? Could a soul change its mind, personality and such after death? In other words, can a bad soul become good like a bad man can become good and vice versa?

Finally, can souls die? If dogs have no souls, would a man who thinks that he's a dog have a soul? Incidentally, I hope no-one shall suffer such fate :(

Besides eternal life, what do I gain from a soul? Also, is there any reason for me to believe in a soul of some kind? Excluding the religious ones, of course.

As you can see from above, I am completely clueless. So can anyone care to help me out?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/20/2012 5:30:56 PM
At 1/20/2012 4:42:30 PM, Jon1 wrote:

Let's say that all humans have souls. Do all,hence, animals have souls? Why? At which point in human evolution did we gain a soul? Had we at some point a half-soul? Hypothetically, would a man who is way more evolved than we be more advanced soul wise.

Could robots have souls? What about a human clone? Could a robot that is like a man gain a soul?

Can souls change as men change? Could a soul change its mind, personality and such after death? In other words, can a bad soul become good like a bad man can become good and vice versa?

Finally, can souls die? If dogs have no souls, would a man who thinks that he's a dog have a soul? Incidentally, I hope no-one shall suffer such fate :(

Besides eternal life, what do I gain from a soul? Also, is there any reason for me to believe in a soul of some kind? Excluding the religious ones, of course.

As you can see from above, I am completely clueless. So can anyone care to help me out?

Our soul is our natural selves; our emotions, intellect, will etc..

Our spirit is our supernatural self, which is dead thru sin and can only be ignited in Jesus, to be 'born again'..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 3:32:26 AM
At 1/21/2012 1:47:48 AM, Suqua wrote:
Gen.2:7) Dust of the ground + breath of life from God (Jesus) = a living soul. Simple

Me: Your fundamental problem -

In the final analysis there is no evidence that the biblical character called "Jesus Christ" ever existed. As Nicholas Carter concludes in The Christ Myth: "No sculptures, no drawings, no markings in stone, nothing written in his own hand; and no letters, no commentaries, indeed no authentic documents written by his Jewish and Gentile contemporaries, Justice of Tiberius, Philo, Josephus, Seneca, Petronius Arbiter, Pliny the Elder, et al., to lend credence to his historicity." (Source: http://www.truthbeknown.com...)

&

ALL CLAIMS OF JESUS DERIVE FROM HEARSAY ACCOUNTS

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources about Jesus derive from hearsay accounts.

Hearsay means information derived from other people rather than on a witness' own knowledge. (Source: http://nobeliefs.com...)
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 6:17:47 AM
At 1/21/2012 3:32:26 AM, Composer wrote:
Gen.2:7) Dust of the ground + breath of life from God (Jesus) = a living soul. Simple

In the final analysis there is no evidence that the biblical character called "Jesus Christ" ever existed. As Nicholas Carter concludes in The Christ Myth: "No sculptures, no drawings, no markings in stone, nothing written in his own hand; and no letters, no commentaries, indeed no authentic documents written by his Jewish and Gentile contemporaries, Justice of Tiberius, Philo, Josephus, Seneca, Petronius Arbiter, Pliny the Elder, et al., to lend credence to his historicity." (Source: http://www.truthbeknown.com...)

&

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources about Jesus derive from hearsay accounts.

Hearsay means information derived from other people rather than on a witness' own knowledge. (Source: http://nobeliefs.com...)

This is true, which is why personal revelation is God's chosen method of salvation.. That way, HE gets the glory and we are protected from false pride..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Suqua
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/21/2012 11:24:25 AM
At 1/21/2012 3:32:26 AM, Composer wrote:

&

Wow! All those deaths for a myth. And those that wanted them dead over a myth, how terrifying. Maybe........
We really got off topic. What is a soul?
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 3:06:43 PM

What is a soul? A good question.

We are all connected. Our increasing car insurance should tell us that!

There is one thing that connects us. It's very down to Earth.

It's the Earth, the ground. We are all connected by it. Wherever we stand we are connected to someone else who is also standing on the ground.

WE ARE CONNECTED BY OUR SOLES!

It's a cosmic joke!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 5:37:16 PM
Is it not oh! so typical that those making their various outrageous claims like ' We have a Soul ' duck for cover when legitimate evidence is required for their BS claims!

Religion is a man made lie, based upon their own preferred textual propaganda and emotional pleas for credibility!
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 6:41:26 PM
At 1/22/2012 5:37:16 PM, Composer wrote:
Is it not oh! so typical that those making their various outrageous claims like ' We have a Soul ' duck for cover when legitimate evidence is required for their BS claims!

Religion is a man made lie, based upon their own preferred textual propaganda and emotional pleas for credibility!

Quit trolling. He was asking for help, not criticism.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
Mr.Infidel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 6:42:30 PM
At 1/22/2012 6:41:26 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:

Don't worry guys; my bet is that composer is izbo10 and he will be banned
Please donate to the following ENDANGERED SPECIES!
Preciousness of life.
Family structure.
Family values. 

Disarm a liberal. Vote for values.

Opinions of this signature are those of G-d's and any of His affiliates.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 7:14:57 PM
At 1/22/2012 6:42:30 PM, Mr.Infidel wrote:

You were worse than he was; he did not deserve to be banned. There is evidence of you VBing several of his debates, and you posted extremely rude comments on his profile page. In addition, you are hypocritical. I still remember that rude anti-Islamic picture that you made your profile pic.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 7:45:19 PM
At 1/22/2012 7:14:57 PM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 1/22/2012 6:42:30 PM, Mr.Infidel wrote:

You were worse than he was; he did not deserve to be banned. There is evidence of you VBing several of his debates, and you posted extremely rude comments on his profile page. In addition, you are hypocritical. I still remember that rude anti-Islamic picture that you made your profile pic.

Regardless, Izbo or not, trolling should not be condoned on DDO.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
imabench
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/22/2012 11:01:47 PM

Yes, they all do :)

Let's say that all humans have souls. Do all,hence, animals have souls? Why?

Animals that are of advanced cognitive intelligence probably have souls, your pet cat or dog has a soul but an ant or a snail I dont think so...

At which point in human evolution did we gain a soul? Had we at some point a half-soul? Hypothetically, would a man who is way more evolved than we be more advanced soul wise.

I think humans developed souls right around the time we reached of enough cognitive ability to discover and overtime perfect toolmaking

Robots, no. Clones, yes, Robot that is like a man gain a soul, doubtful unless it stared as a human then became mostly robot...

I dont think it works that way and I believe they are in constant form and cant become good or evil, that is based on personality

Souls might die or they could simply wander away or maybe join another soul. If a man thinks hes a dog then he has a soul, hes just nuts.

Having a soul can be a trophy that you have to remind yourself that you are very smart, considerate, intelligent compared to 99% of other life forms :) as for souls of other kind that is not religious, I dont know at all...

This is all just my opinion and belief, not based on any factual evidence, just belief :)
Kevin24018 : "He's just so mean it makes me want to ball up my fists and stamp on the ground"
Geogeer: "Nobody is dumb enough to become my protege."

7/14/16 = The Presidency Dies

DDO: THE MOVIE = http://www.debate.org...
http://www.debate.org...

VP of DDO from Dec 14th 2014 to Jan 1st 2015
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 1:34:18 AM

Previously: The Soul is - An imaginary human religious concept!:

Me: I gave him the best ' on Topic ' accurate, Truthful and legitimate help he could ever get - check my posts again (See copies above in BOLD) and cease your slander and false accusations!

Much better luck next times!
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/23/2012 3:27:37 AM
Sea of emotions.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/24/2012 11:36:40 PM
At 1/23/2012 3:27:37 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
Sea of emotions.
Meanwhile I'm stilllllllll waiting for these people that claim we were ' given a soul ' to come up with their legitimate evidence?

Much better luck trying next times!