Jump to topic:

Refutation of "I Hate Religion but Love Jesus

GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 4:38:00 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
AmazingAtheist (like him or not) destroyed this video. He's spot on with every criticism here. It's about time this pro-Christianity brainwashing video is put to rest.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 10:10:28 AM
well .. . his sarcasm is, refreshing? . . . but making jokes about something doesn't really refute it. The truth is he is simply fails to grasp the premise. Maybe its a matter of growing up in the "church" . . . but there is an obvious difference between what the "church" is today, the type of people it produces and the effect it has on lives, and the church that Jesus strove to create. The current movement in Christianity is really a call to our roots and to find not another religion but a faith.

This message is meant to help Christians. . . I don't really see non-Christians understanding it.

Lastly, I was really hoping for some serious comments . . . if you are impressed by a cocky, sarcastic, piddling, know-it-all atheist. . . well, I guess you won't care about anything anyone says.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 11:12:17 AM
If this atheist is trying to make religious people "open their eyes" and stop following their religion. This fails... Acting like a smartass, and this tone of "We're so better than you" just angers most people
-Tourism & Immigration minister for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
"hey, no Jerry springer here!"
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 11:19:24 AM
For those of you that didn't see danielles thread where I posted the video, here is the original:

Decide for yourself who is really speaking the truth.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 12:54:33 PM
At 1/25/2012 11:12:17 AM, bhatti1020 wrote:
If this atheist is trying to make religious people "open their eyes" and stop following their religion. This fails... Acting like a smartass, and this tone of "We're so better than you" just angers most people

This.

You pretty much just summed up my exact problem with most atheists.
Buckethead31594
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:02:33 PM
At 1/25/2012 12:54:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

This.

The same could be said for some religious people.
"By all means, marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy; if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates
InsertNameHere
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:07:10 PM
At 1/25/2012 1:02:33 PM, Buckethead31594 wrote:
At 1/25/2012 12:54:33 PM, InsertNameHere wrote:

This.

The same could be said for some religious people.

True. I never once denied that.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:37:04 PM
1. He didnt personally insult the guy in the video, he attacked his arguments.

2. He wasnt joking. A moment of sarcasm, sure, but the overall video was not jokes.

3. His tone of voice doesnt change the validity of his arguments. You can feel that he's arrogant all you want but that doesnt make him wrong.

4. His making a refutation of a video he disagrees with and sees so many people being suckered into, he's passionate about the issue and slightly angry at the video because of how persuasive it is but so misleading and utterly false.
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:42:02 PM
At 1/25/2012 1:37:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

2. He wasnt joking. A moment of sarcasm, sure, but the overall video was not jokes.

3. His tone of voice doesnt change the validity of his arguments. You can feel that he's arrogant all you want but that doesnt make him wrong.

4. His making a refutation of a video he disagrees with and sees so many people being suckered into, he's passionate about the issue and slightly angry at the video because of how persuasive it is but so misleading and utterly false.

I'ts his OPINION that the video is false. Kinda like how a religious person might see the big bang theory as something so many people get suckered into.
If someone acts arrogantly to people, why does that person get more angry when the those people get angry at him, or ignore him?
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:42:32 PM
Same reason I don't like Bill Maher, and I'm a liberal.
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:46:53 PM
he simply failed to grasp the real premise of the video . . . i cant blame him seeing as from the outside of christianity looking in it seems nonsensical . .. from the inside though people understand what he means.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:53:07 PM
At 1/25/2012 1:46:53 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:
he simply failed to grasp the real premise of the video . . . i cant blame him seeing as from the outside of christianity looking in it seems nonsensical . .. from the inside though people understand what he means.

You keep repeating this over and over but this is not an argument. Simply saying he failed to grasp it is not a real refutation. You have to say why, how, and give specifics.

So then please enlighten us with the,"real premise of the video." After his complete analysis going bit I by bit on the video, somehow he missed a premise (even though he addressed all of the main premises).

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 1:55:42 PM
At 1/25/2012 1:42:02 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:
At 1/25/2012 1:37:04 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:

I'ts his OPINION that the video is false. Kinda like how a religious person might see the big bang theory as something so many people get suckered into.
If someone acts arrogantly to people, why does that person get more angry when the those people get angry at him, or ignore him?

No, it's not his opinion. Did you even watch the video? What he stated was through means of reason, not opinion.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 2:40:53 PM
At 1/25/2012 1:53:07 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/25/2012 1:46:53 PM, gr33k_fr33k5 wrote:

You keep repeating this over and over but this is not an argument. Simply saying he failed to grasp it is not a real refutation. You have to say why, how, and give specifics.

So then please enlighten us with the,"real premise of the video." After his complete analysis going bit I by bit on the video, somehow he missed a premise (even though he addressed all of the main premises).

He is addressing Christians who find their identity in the church and not Christ. . . this is a huge problem in Christianity. That is the "religion" he is addressing.
I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss
ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 2:45:32 PM
His whole video is just about knitpicking wording and schemantics to prove his point. Obviously Jesus wasn't a Republican but that wasn't the point of the video, the point was to get your mind out of thinking mainstream and agreeing with the majority just because they say its right.

He was just being a pretentious a'ss.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/25/2012 4:47:27 PM
At 1/25/2012 2:45:32 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:
His whole video is just about knitpicking wording and schemantics to prove his point.

Oh ok, but the Christian who made a video about Christianity not fitting the definition of "religion" that's not semantics, but when the AmazingAtheist addresses the Christian video which is entirely based on the semantics of religion and Christianity, it's not ok. C'mon really, do you not know the definition of semantics?

And no, AmazingAtheist did not simply pick on semantics, he got down to the core if the issue and criticized it.

Obviously Jesus wasn't a Republican but that wasn't the point of the video,

And he didn't say that was the point of the video. Use your goddamn brain. He spent 30 seconds addressing that line about Jesus and Republicans. He never once claimed it was the whole point so stop strawmanning.

the point was to get your mind out of thinking mainstream and agreeing with the majority just because they say its right.

Uh, no, I'm pretty sure the point of the video was as the title states: he hates religion but loves Jesus and he wants Christians to stop acting "religious" and have "personal relationship" with Jesus.

He was just being a pretentious a'ss.

Oh but the Christian preaching how Jesus is truth and that he hates and despises Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, and Taoism, yeah thats ok and not pretentious. But AmazingAtheist making a rebuttal to an arrogant hateful video, thats pretentous.

-- Murray Rothbard

-- Frederic Bastiat
gr33k_fr33k5
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/26/2012 9:30:16 AM
At 1/25/2012 4:47:27 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
At 1/25/2012 2:45:32 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

Oh ok, but the Christian who made a video about Christianity not fitting the definition of "religion" that's not semantics, but when the AmazingAtheist addresses the Christian video which is entirely based on the semantics of religion and Christianity, it's not ok. C'mon really, do you not know the definition of semantics?

This is the real problem . .. the video is saying that mainstream Christianity does fit the definition of religion . . . but Jesus' intent was to make something much deeper and more personal than religion.

And no, AmazingAtheist did not simply pick on semantics, he got down to the core if the issue and criticized it.

He indeed got to the core of the video from an outsider's point of view. . . the video has completely different meaning to Christians though . . .

And he didn't say that was the point of the video. Use your goddamn brain. He spent 30 seconds addressing that line about Jesus and Republicans. He never once claimed it was the whole point so stop strawmanning.

Uh, no, I'm pretty sure the point of the video was as the title states: he hates religion but loves Jesus and he wants Christians to stop acting "religious" and have "personal relationship" with Jesus.

the point of the line about republicans =/= christians was about getting you out of mainstream thinking.

Oh but the Christian preaching how Jesus is truth and that he hates and despises Hinduism, Islam, Buddhism, and Taoism, yeah thats ok and not pretentious. But AmazingAtheist making a rebuttal to an arrogant hateful video, thats pretentous.

talk about strawmen . . .

I am free, free indeed!

ignorance is bliss