god and satan

youngdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 9:36:10 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
an interesting question i came across:
how do you (christians) know that god is the good one and satan is the evil one (concidering that you believe in both)?
LB628
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 9:39:22 PM
Not personally a Christian, but I believe the answer is simply: the bible tells them so(or people tell them the bible tells them so).
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 9:45:16 PM
I've asked this as well, but I put it this way:

God has killed babies, called for the death of anyone committing adultery, has committed or ordered genocide, murdered children and committed what we could call 'crimes against humanity'.
Satan has no record of such endeavors - he tried to rebel against God, but what is to say that he wasn't rebelling against God's cruelty? Would that not make him a beacon of freedom and hope against a relentless, cruel and heartless enemy?
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 10:06:39 PM
At 6/3/2009 9:45:16 PM, Volkov wrote:

God has killed babies, called for the death of anyone committing adultery, has committed or ordered genocide, murdered children and committed what we could call 'crimes against humanity'.
Satan has no record of such endeavors - he tried to rebel against God, but what is to say that he wasn't rebelling against God's cruelty? Would that not make him a beacon of freedom and hope against a relentless, cruel and heartless enemy?

Not if he was rebelling because he envied God's ability to get away with all that stuff and wanted it for himself. Then we have a choice between an ambitious evil upstart and a lethargic evil overlord. Satan versus God becomes Starscream versus Megatron.*

Anyway, considering that he was the one who actively tortured Lot, and pretty horribly at that, I'd rather drop both than be forced to keep either.

*80s reference obligation fulfilled.
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 10:14:52 PM
At 6/3/2009 10:06:39 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:

Not if he was rebelling because he envied God's ability to get away with all that stuff and wanted it for himself. Then we have a choice between an ambitious evil upstart and a lethargic evil overlord. Satan versus God becomes Starscream versus Megatron.*

Anyway, considering that he was the one who actively tortured Lot, and pretty horribly at that, I'd rather drop both than be forced to keep either.

*80s reference obligation fulfilled.

Good point, its still an interesting thing to put forward with Christians. I've never heard of them use that solution, and thats the one that makes sense.
youngdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 10:15:47 PM

very good!
youngdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/3/2009 10:17:04 PM
At 6/3/2009 9:39:22 PM, LB628 wrote:
Not personally a Christian, but I believe the answer is simply: the bible tells them so(or people tell them the bible tells them so).

yeah, they're pretty simple minded in some areas. it would seem that the evil one would make himself look good and hate the other.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 7:09:02 AM
At 6/3/2009 9:36:10 PM, youngdebater wrote:
how do you (christians) know that god is the good one and satan is the evil one (concidering that you believe in both)?

What we do is take an 'o' away and add a 'd' and then we're there.

James 4:7
Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.
The Cross.. the Cross.
youngdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 12:30:04 PM
At 6/4/2009 7:09:02 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

You do realize that an evil god would want you to believe that he is the good one by writing a book about himself.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 12:48:26 PM
If God were Good, by his definitions, he wouldn't have the whole fearful and wrathful dimension.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 1:03:13 PM
At 6/4/2009 12:48:26 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
If God were Good, by his definitions, he wouldn't have the whole fearful and wrathful dimension.

Only dictators decide what is good and what is bad.
I-am-a-panda
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 1:21:40 PM
At 6/4/2009 1:03:13 PM, Volkov wrote:

God laid down the 10 commandments to define Good. Later Jesus said following his life was also good. God has not abided by either of those.

It's the same as a Communist dictator laying down a list of rules on how to be a model citizen/worker and then idolised Che Guevara, citing he was perfect. Breaking either of those means he is not model citizen, and should not lead.
Pizza. I have enormous respect for Pizza.
youngdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/4/2009 6:17:49 PM
At 6/4/2009 1:21:40 PM, I-am-a-panda wrote:
At 6/4/2009 1:03:13 PM, Volkov wrote:

God laid down the 10 commandments to define Good. Later Jesus said following his life was also good. God has not abided by either of those.

It's the same as a Communist dictator laying down a list of rules on how to be a model citizen/worker and then idolised Che Guevara, citing he was perfect. Breaking either of those means he is not model citizen, and should not lead.

you do realize that god would make himself look like the good guy by his own definition if he were evil.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/5/2009 5:59:26 AM
At 6/4/2009 12:30:04 PM, youngdebater wrote:

You do realize that an evil god would want you to believe that he is the good one by writing a book about himself.

Would an evil God also clothe Himself in flesh and allow Himself to be handed over to His enemies to be mocked and tortured and then finally suffer a naked and shamefull murderers execution?
This after spending 3 years performing countless miracles, healings and exorcisms?

Ezekiel 18:32 (New King James Version)
32 For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies," says the Lord GOD. "Therefore turn and live!"

The Cross.. the Cross.
youngdebater
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/7/2009 9:33:47 PM
At 6/5/2009 5:59:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Would an evil God also clothe Himself in flesh and allow Himself to be handed over to His enemies to be mocked and tortured and then finally suffer a naked and shamefull murderers execution?
This after spending 3 years performing countless miracles, healings and exorcisms?

32 For I have no pleasure in the death of one who dies," says the Lord GOD. "Therefore turn and live!"

what? you think that the crucifiction was some kind of sacrifice? if i had the option to be beaten tourtured and murdered, and by doing that i cure the world of poverty, then hell! of corse i would take that! but on top of that if i were promised with 100% certainty that i would come back to life and become god... what kind of sacrifice is that?
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/8/2009 10:57:54 AM
At 6/7/2009 9:33:47 PM, youngdebater wrote:
At 6/5/2009 5:59:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

what? you think that the crucifiction was some kind of sacrifice? if i had the option to be beaten tourtured and murdered, and by doing that i cure the world of poverty, then hell! of corse i would take that! but on top of that if i were promised with 100% certainty that i would come back to life and become god... what kind of sacrifice is that?

What do you mean become God?
He is God.
He died spiritually, seperated from God.
So that we might Live, be connected to God.

Philippians 2:8
And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross.
The Cross.. the Cross.