Jump to topic:

I hate religion!

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:33:33 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Religion is a set of rules to live by BY MY OWN strength, meaning it is utterly doomed to failure as I am finite..

So, even Jesus' instructions to love our neighbors/enemies etc are impossible for any length of time..

ONLY by constantly asking Him for more strength/love/wisdom etc can I hope to succeed and grow..

Consider a Childs relationship to it's parent; they constantly ask 'can I have..' and 'why is..' etc this is why Jesus said we must become 'as children'..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:37:10 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:33:33 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
Religion is a set of rules to live by BY MY OWN strength, meaning it is utterly doomed to failure as I am finite..

So, even Jesus' instructions to love our neighbors/enemies etc are impossible for any length of time..

ONLY by constantly asking Him for more strength/love/wisdom etc can I hope to succeed and grow..

Consider a Childs relationship to it's parent; they constantly ask 'can I have..' and 'why is..' etc this is why Jesus said we must become 'as children'..

So, you're ditching the bible, church and all of it's religious dogma and doctrine, and going entirely by what the voice/s in your head say?
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:41:18 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:37:10 AM, Physik wrote:

So, you're ditching the bible, church and all of it's religious dogma and doctrine, and going entirely by what the voice/s in your head say?

No, you're not reading the post; you're vitriol is blinding you to the meat of the argument..

How would I know to ask for more love, strength and wisdom etc unless the Bible told me that I should covert these things?
The Cross.. the Cross.
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:41:46 AM
Bible + Jesus + God + Preaching + Prayer + Belief = Religion
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:43:29 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:41:18 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

No, you're not reading the post; you're vitriol is blinding you to the meat of the argument..

How would I know to ask for more love, strength and wisdom etc unless the Bible told me that I should covert these things?

Your title and subsequent post inferred that you hate religion, and don't believe in it.

What do you think comprises religion? I think Geo pointed it out pretty nicely.
"Just don't let them dissuade you. Stick to your beliefs no matter what and you'll be fine." - ConservativePolitico, the guy that accused me of being close-minded.

"We didn't start slavery, they themselves started it. When the white man first got to Africa they had already enslaved themselves, they just capitalized on an opportunity." - ConservativePolitico

"The Bible to me is a history book and requires very little faith to believe in." - ConservativePolitico
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:46:36 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:43:29 AM, Physik wrote:

Your title and subsequent post inferred that you hate religion, and don't believe in it.

See 1st post: 'religion is..'
The Cross.. the Cross.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:47:26 AM

You wouldn't have happened to have watched a 'poem' recently, would you?

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:50:49 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:46:36 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Well, no, it isn't. Religion is the fundamental teachings and doctrine of a religious group. The fact that your particular religion dictates the rules by which you live your life is circumstantial. You have therefore said that you hate the bible, teachings and doctrine of your church, as that is what comprises religion.

Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:52:45 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:50:49 AM, Physik wrote:

Well, no, it isn't. Religion is the fundamental teachings and doctrine of a religious group. The fact that your particular religion dictates the rules by which you live your life is circumstantial. You have therefore said that you hate the bible, teachings and doctrine of your church, as that is what comprises religion.

That was worded poorly, I meant the fundamental teachings and doctrine of a spiritual group.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:54:55 AM

I love the bible, the church etc.. I am saying that without UTTER dependency on God by prayer it will
all profit us nothing: this is why the bible says 'my strength is made perfect in weakness'..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:57:18 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:54:55 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

I love the bible, the church etc.. I am saying that without UTTER dependency on God by prayer it will
all profit us nothing: this is why the bible says 'my strength is made perfect in weakness'..

So, you don't hate religion? Seriously though, were you watching that poem?

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 5:04:26 AM
At 1/30/2012 4:57:18 AM, Physik wrote:

Your definition of religion serves you and I can understand why you must cling to it.. I do not recognize it.. I HATE the definition I have provided..

Poem?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 5:12:23 AM
At 1/30/2012 5:04:26 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Your definition of religion serves you and I can understand why you must cling to it.. I do not recognize it.. I HATE the definition I have provided..

My definition of religion happens to be factual definition http://en.wikipedia.org...

Have you considered inventing your own word?; because religion is simply not a remotely accurate representation of what you're describing.

Poem?

Just seems odd that things like this pop up ever since this came out.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 5:32:35 AM
At 1/30/2012 5:12:23 AM, Physik wrote:

My definition of religion happens to be factual definition http://en.wi...: At 1/15/2012 12:29:06 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 1/15/2012 9:41:46 AM, Veridas wrote:
I just realised something.

There is a subject at hand here that Dactmoto and I agree on.

If there's anyone here looking for signs of the end times, I'm pretty sure this counts.

Or perhaps you are greviously mistaken.
I do not think that DATMO claims to have a strong command of the original texts or thie historical framework. His assertions would require that.

kipedia.org/wiki/Religion

Have you considered inventing your own word?; because religion is simply not a remotely accurate representation of what you're describing.

Poem?

Yes, your definition is the worlds definition, granted.. but this world is fallen and under the control of the evil one..

My point is that everyone has religion (as I have defined it) we all make rules to live by and then fail!

'that which I wish to do I do not and that which I wish not to do I do.. Oh wretched man that I am! Who will save me from this body of sin? Thanks be to Jesus!'

Here (rom7) Paul is describing this..
The Cross.. the Cross.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 5:44:45 AM
At 1/30/2012 5:32:35 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

My definition of religion happens to be factual definition http://en.wi...: At 1/15/2012 12:29:06 PM, Gileandos wrote:

If there's anyone here looking for signs of the end times, I'm pretty sure this counts.

I do not think that DATMO claims to have a strong command of the original texts or thie historical framework. His assertions would require that.

Where did this come from?

Poem?

Yes, your definition is the worlds definition, granted.. but this world is fallen and under the control of the evil one..

My point is that everyone has religion (as I have defined it) we all make rules to live by and then fail!

'that which I wish to do I do not and that which I wish not to do I do.. Oh wretched man that I am! Who will save me from this body of sin? Thanks be to Jesus!'

As I said, you should probably invent a new word. What you have described cannot be religion, else wise you would hate the bible, etc.

Might I suggest Ralkionism? Any word that begins with 'r' and contains a 'k' is pretty much guaranteed to be awe-inspiring.

I would put this in my signature, but CP currently has it filled up. Any who, on that pleasant note, I'm going to bed.

Good night.

Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 6:32:08 AM

Sorry, can't really let you equivocate that religion is just a set of rules to live by. Sure rules are a part of religion but there is so much more going on it would be deceptive to portray religion as such.

I find your comments about Jesus commands interesting, what came to mind was Hitchens remarks to this kind of religious teaching, that being we are told you are born sick yet commanded to be well. I would add not only commanded, but the sick are condemned for not being well.

I am not amused.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 6:54:15 AM
This recently popular trend of tearing away at a suspiciously narrow definition of "religion" as opposed to "Christianity" is getting pretty old. <_<
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:18:17 PM
At 1/30/2012 5:44:45 AM, Physik wrote:

Poem?

As I said, you should probably invent a new word. What you have described cannot be religion, else wise you would hate the bible, etc.

Might I suggest Ralkionism? Any word that begins with 'r' and contains a 'k' is pretty much guaranteed to be awe-inspiring.

I would put this in my signature, but CP currently has it filled up. Any who, on that pleasant note, I'm going to bed.

Good night.

Once again you have failed to debate: you have only opposed..
The Cross.. the Cross.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:25:09 PM
At 1/30/2012 12:51:23 PM, brian_eggleston wrote:
Apropos of nothing, but do you have any interests or hobbies apart from evangelising about Jesus, DATC?

Sure, cross training: run, lift, swim, cycle.. I don't watch tv but I like movies.. I just got back from seeing 'the grey' -silly, but entertaining!

I work full time, but my life revolves around street evangelism, which I do for 2 -3 hrs a day 5 days a week.. It's a calling, which makes it more important than all the man centered nonsense the church is doing worldwide.. I read Johns Gospel on the streets of torbay, Devon, UK.. I pretty much know it by heart!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Physik
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:25:30 PM
At 1/30/2012 3:18:17 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 1/30/2012 5:44:45 AM, Physik wrote:

Poem?

Good night.

Once again you have failed to debate: you have only opposed..

What is your notion of a debate? One side is obviously going to be opposed.

You challenged me to a debate about a week ago, it never materialized. You somehow postulate that it is my job to think of a topic, who knows why. I've offered a topic on which we have a differing opinion, yet you refuse. One might think you were backpedaling.

DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:29:53 PM
At 1/30/2012 6:32:08 AM, Illegalcombatant wrote:

Sorry, can't really let you equivocate that religion is just a set of rules to live by. Sure rules are a part of religion but there is so much more going on it would be deceptive to portray religion as such.

I find your comments about Jesus commands interesting, what came to mind was Hitchens remarks to this kind of religious teaching, that being we are told you are born sick yet commanded to be well. I would add not only commanded, but the sick are condemned for not being well.

I am not amused.

I prefer born independent (sinful) of God and commanded to be dependent..

This should NOT be confused with being CREATED sinful.. We were not.
The Cross.. the Cross.
comoncents
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:38:59 PM
I have issues with religion, but I have less issues with the world transcendent ground of being. The idea of any dogma having the answers to the truly unknown is scary. I am metaphysical or spiritual, no strict dogma or ideology.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:49:45 PM
At 1/30/2012 3:38:59 PM, comoncents wrote:
I have issues with religion, but I have less issues with the world transcendent ground of being. The idea of any dogma having the answers to the truly unknown is scary. I am metaphysical or spiritual, no strict dogma or ideology.

Right, no one tells you what to do.. My dogma explains that perfectly: independency from God IS our sinful nature.. And it is DEATH..
The Cross.. the Cross.