Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Definition of Religion

tyler90az
Posts: 971
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:26:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
What is everyone's definition of religion?

Mine:
A group of people who have spiritual commonalities.
Today we begin in earnest the work of making sure that the world we leave our children is just a little bit better than the one we inhabit today. - President Obama
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:38:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/30/2012 3:26:04 PM, tyler90az wrote:
What is everyone's definition of religion?

Mine:
A group of people who have spiritual commonalities.

A heroin addicts religion: 'if I just smoke it and stop injecting OR if I only rob shops and not little old ladies I CAN LIVE with myself another day'

Women dieting IS religion..

Giving to charities (not in secret) is religion..

Recycling and saving the planet is religion..

Going to church and reading the bible with the wrong motive (to be 'good') is religion..

I could go on..

Religion is trying to have a separate righteousness (a justification for existence) apart from God..
The Cross.. the Cross.
comoncents
Posts: 5,647
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:39:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/30/2012 3:26:04 PM, tyler90az wrote:
What is everyone's definition of religion?

Mine:
A group of people who have spiritual commonalities.

Controlling the chaos...
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:46:40 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/30/2012 3:39:26 PM, comoncents wrote:
At 1/30/2012 3:26:04 PM, tyler90az wrote:
What is everyone's definition of religion?

Mine:
A group of people who have spiritual commonalities.

Controlling the chaos...

Good luck with THAT!
The Cross.. the Cross.
Ladykatzen
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:48:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
For myself, I would say that Religion is a consistent system of traditions, rituals, and beliefs which serve to connect an individual from the daily world and Life to an essence that transcends human experience and consciousness.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 3:52:23 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/30/2012 3:48:26 PM, Ladykatzen wrote:
For myself, I would say that Religion is a consistent system of traditions, rituals, and beliefs which serve to connect an individual from the daily world and Life to an essence that transcends human experience and consciousness.

So, watching soap operas, going to the gym, being drunk on weekends, snorting coke, surfing the net, posting on facebook etc then?
The Cross.. the Cross.
Ladykatzen
Posts: 8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 4:45:46 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/30/2012 3:52:23 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 1/30/2012 3:48:26 PM, Ladykatzen wrote:
For myself, I would say that Religion is a consistent system of traditions, rituals, and beliefs which serve to connect an individual from the daily world and Life to an essence that transcends human experience and consciousness.

So, watching soap operas, going to the gym, being drunk on weekends, snorting coke, surfing the net, posting on facebook etc then?

No, as none of these experiences transcend the Individual. They are a part of the daily experience of life, and do not progress outside of that daily experience.

To put it another way, is there a human consciousness? Do we, as individuals, possess some intrinsic component that makes us greater than the few dollars worth of chemicals and tissues that compose a human body? To compare posting on facebook, surfing the net or going to the gym as a religious experience is akin to saying that a single strand of hair, or a fingernail, or a flake of skin is the equivalent to the individual.
DATCMOTO
Posts: 6,160
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:43:59 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 1/30/2012 4:45:46 PM, Ladykatzen wrote:
At 1/30/2012 3:52:23 PM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 1/30/2012 3:48:26 PM, Ladykatzen wrote:
For myself, I would say that Religion is a consistent system of traditions, rituals, and beliefs which serve to connect an individual from the daily world and Life to an essence that transcends human experience and consciousness.

So, watching soap operas, going to the gym, being drunk on weekends, snorting coke, surfing the net, posting on facebook etc then?

No, as none of these experiences transcend the Individual. They are a part of the daily experience of life, and do not progress outside of that daily experience.

To put it another way, is there a human consciousness? Do we, as individuals, possess some intrinsic component that makes us greater than the few dollars worth of chemicals and tissues that compose a human body? To compare posting on facebook, surfing the net or going to the gym as a religious experience is akin to saying that a single strand of hair, or a fingernail, or a flake of skin is the equivalent to the individual.

I think they ALL transcend our individuality as we are engaging in rituals with others that give a SHARED meaning; THIS is religious!
The Cross.. the Cross.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 2:42:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have been searching one out for a bit.. I don;t believe there is really one.. It really just boils down to some obvious form of fundemtalism, its pretty bias actually.. if there is a small followings its a cult .... when its popular its a religions.
Like we have scientology.. which is a religion because they believe in a fictional book as truth.(sound familier). But its not like its even possible to be true.
No offence if your relgious but that is pretty a strong empircal evidence that people will belief in anything.. false or not.
plus you sign something which gives the church power preventing you from seeing a psychologist...(hmmmmm) (there is often some no-thinking princble involed.)
But I think the one factor that is the same through every religion is some form of dealing with death.
That is my best theory of what is a principle motivation, that is salvation from death..
Even the athiest/agnostic(me) prays for god at the moment when you life flashes before you eyes.. but I have made my prayers for god to forgive me for my ignorance in that I do my best with the tools I have. adn I am comfortable with that. its not so much that I don't believe we are part of something greater... but rather its not to be found in fictional books and only available for certain people. If it is the case then my morals tell me I must declare war. For the sake of the good. hell or not..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
CosmicAlfonzo
Posts: 5,955
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 4:20:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Religion is the very potent combination of game theory and chaos magic.

It is government. Religion is illusion. Government is illusion. These things are all logical products of human limitation and desire.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 5:18:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
RoyLatham
Posts: 4,488
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 3:56:28 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
One academic definition is "Religion is defined as a state of "being grasped by an ultimate concern" — which is also my definition of faith — then we must distinguish this as a universal or large concept from our usual smaller concept of religion which supposes an organized group with its clergy, scriptures, and dogma, by which a set of symbols for the ultimate concern is accepted and cultivated in life and thought." http://www.religion-online.org...

Any definition of religion must encompass atheist religions like Buddhism and Jainism, and that definition seems to accomplish that. It also shows the close relationship to radical political ideologies that become the consuming world views of their adherents.

I think that in practice religions are social institutions that evolve over time. Exposure to the practical world tempers religion, but radical political ideologies can be ridiculously at odds with the real world.
BrotherBuster
Posts: 6
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 4:45:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Conspiracy and fundamentalist theories aside.

I'll have to go with Lactantius, who in "Divine Institutes" derives his understanding of religion from the word religare (IV, xxviii).

Of course, what does religare mean? Religare is to bind, further Lactantius says, "We are tied to God and bound to Him [religati] by the bond of piety, and it is from this, and not, as Cicero holds, from careful consideration [relegendo], that religion has received its name."

To understand what he's saying, Cicero holds this: "Those who carefully took in hand all things pertaining to the gods were called religiosi, from relegate."
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Posts: 6,071
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/4/2012 6:25:31 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/2/2012 4:45:41 PM, BrotherBuster wrote:
Conspiracy and fundamentalist theories aside.

I'll have to go with Lactantius, who in "Divine Institutes" derives his understanding of religion from the word religare (IV, xxviii).

Of course, what does religare mean? Religare is to bind, further Lactantius says, "We are tied to God and bound to Him [religati] by the bond of piety, and it is from this, and not, as Cicero holds, from careful consideration [relegendo], that religion has received its name."

To understand what he's saying, Cicero holds this: "Those who carefully took in hand all things pertaining to the gods were called religiosi, from relegate."

but you version is religious..
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL