Jump to topic:

Crisis of Faith

CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 9:36:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
As of late, i've been having doubts about my faith and who I am in general. I do not seem to fit in anywhere. Not at my church, my family, my job, I feel alone all the time. God has always been my strength and my comfort and still is. But I see the things going on around me, the horrible atrocities in the name of God...the way Christians act and treat other people and I do not want to be apart of it. What do I do? I cannot walk away from God but I cannot be apart of this religion. Has anyone else gone through this? I just don't know what to do...
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 9:41:56 PM
The actions of Christians and the atrocities done in the name of God do not represent Christianity.

The BIBLE represents Christianity. If you like what's in the Bible, be a Christian. If you dislike what's in the Bible, reject Christianity.

If you're looking for reasonable Christians, look up William Lane Craig.

http://www.reasonablefaith.org...
"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Lickdafoot
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 10:10:37 PM
At 1/30/2012 9:36:54 PM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
As of late, i've been having doubts about my faith and who I am in general. I do not seem to fit in anywhere. Not at my church, my family, my job, I feel alone all the time. God has always been my strength and my comfort and still is. But I see the things going on around me, the horrible atrocities in the name of God...the way Christians act and treat other people and I do not want to be apart of it. What do I do? I cannot walk away from God but I cannot be apart of this religion. Has anyone else gone through this? I just don't know what to do...

^ yeah yeah, i know, posting this again. But i think it encapsulates what you are going through and what i often feel as well.

There are many people who feel the same as you do. The thing is, this is truly a corrupt world that we live in. Just look at jesus for example. his whole purpose was to save us and everyone wanted to bash his brains in. Yes, there are tons of evil religious people. It doesn't mean that your faith is wrong; it means that those people are distorting the message. The world is a terrible place at times, full of hatred and suffering, but there is a need for it. a need to grow and learn from it: because you cannot appreciate the good if you have never delved into the dark.

Heres what helps:

-Know that you are not alone. There are good people out there. There are people who will understand what you are going through, people who will get you, people you can be yourself around. All it takes is belief and effort to find those people.
-Pray about it. every day. seriously, it helps. Continue to build your relationship with God because he will help to put your daily lifestyle into a new perspective.
-If you don't like your church, talk to your pastor. See if there are programs you can join that will allow you to connect to people in a different way. You might find that a lot of people aren't as bad as you might think, but they are guarded and jaded as a result of the messed up environment that we live in. just like i am and just like you are, all in our own way. Also, try other churches. Some are more "alive" or more welcoming than others.
WAKE UP AND READ THIS: http://www.debate.org...
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 10:14:32 PM

Embrace God; reject religion.

The folly of man will color all of his engagements.
FREEDO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 10:44:39 PM
It appears you have developed the curious misfortune of not being an idiot. You will have a very difficult time with life, here-on-out, as you constantly doubt yourself and the things which you ascribe to giving you purpose, morality and psychological safety. If you do not suppress the doubts with the emotional insecurities that have been pounded into you during your upbringing, you will continue to grow more miserable and more wise. You might become suicidal but you'll never go through with it no matter how serious you try to convince yourself you are, unless you suffer serious additional trauma. Eventually, after coming to grips with your inevitable change in values, you will be happy again and start to live a normal life as you steadily create more social connections with people who share your new value system and give you emotional support.

You will get a puppy and name it Wilbert.

Slowly afterwards, you will grow up and stop challenging the world around you and once again become a mindless zombie, blending in with the new crowd you surround yourself with, though you will get to keep the opinions you reshaped for yourself after once being a courageous intellectual.

Warning: If you skip the last step, you are in serious danger of becoming psychologically unhinged. The human brain is not designed to understand the universe, it is designed to make babies and not get eaten. Though by the point you've encountered a mental break-down, any fear for such a things will probably have evaporated. It may even be titillating. Ha, I like that word. Titillating.

Hail Eris!
GRAND POOBAH OF DDO

fnord
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 11:10:16 PM
I honestly hope that this doesn't come out as narcicism, as I may be reading too much of what you wrote into my own situation, but I think I understand how you feel to a certain extent.

I recently overheard a Christian that I had held some respect for laugh at the thought of people going to hell because of how stupid and dreadful they would feel at that moment of realization. I don't think anybody else batted an eye at that one. I don't know what your idea of hell includes, but I don't think any Christian should derive pleasure from the thought of people being damned, partly because I don't think any Christian should want anybody to choose damnation in the first place. I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou, but I think that any discussion of damnation should be a lot more somber.

Anyhow, that's just an example of how I feel isolated from a theological stance, there are other aspects as well and it can be quite frustrating at times. I know there's the whole "You should be putting your faith in God, not people" thing, but I thought that the purpose of a Church was to be surrounded by people who help strengthen your relationship with God. Anyhow, sorry for the rant, but I wanted to say that I think I know where you're coming from sort of.
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 11:20:06 PM
And for what its worth, the "Just follow God- forget religion!" guys are often times the most religious-endorsing people you could think of, they're just trying to be trendy. I can't count how many youth pastors and young adult church pastors I've heard make those kinds of comments. I should probably stop pretending to be a psychologist, but it looks like these are sometimes just attempts to reach people's rebellious sides and the people who don't want to make commitments, but at the end of the day they're left with something that looks suspiciously like religion, including, quite possibly, the very part of "religion" that they were so frustrated by.
Ren
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/30/2012 11:28:01 PM
At 1/30/2012 10:44:39 PM, FREEDO wrote:
It appears you have developed the curious misfortune of not being an idiot. You will have a very difficult time with life, here-on-out, as you constantly doubt yourself and the things which you ascribe to giving you purpose, morality and psychological safety. If you do not suppress the doubts with the emotional insecurities that have been pounded into you during your upbringing, you will continue to grow more miserable and more wise. You might become suicidal but you'll never go through with it no matter how serious you try to convince yourself you are, unless you suffer serious additional trauma. Eventually, after coming to grips with your inevitable change in values, you will be happy again and start to live a normal life as you steadily create more social connections with people who share your new value system and give you emotional support.

You will get a puppy and name it Wilbert.

Slowly afterwards, you will grow up and stop challenging the world around you and once again become a mindless zombie, blending in with the new crowd you surround yourself with, though you will get to keep the opinions you reshaped for yourself after once being a courageous intellectual.

Warning: If you skip the last step, you are in serious danger of becoming psychologically unhinged. The human brain is not designed to understand the universe, it is designed to make babies and not get eaten. Though by the point you've encountered a mental break-down, any fear for such a things will probably have evaporated. It may even be titillating. Ha, I like that word. Titillating.

Hail Eris!

Lol, you're definitely ahead of your years.

That last part was my favorite.
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 12:13:08 AM
@GeoLaureate8 - Very true...i've let people distort my view of the bible already. I rejected Christianity when I was younger and it was because of the church I grew up in. The hell fire and brimstone sermons really get you down.

@Lickdafoot - I've seen the video, it was refreshing :)
But I always thought 'religious' people were supposed to represent their religion, and you are right, there are a lot of evil religious people, and that what makes me want to scream.

@Ren - I'm not very social anyways, should be easy enough ;)

@FREEDO - Can I get a ferret instead?

@Rusty - People like that are exactly who I am talking about...and it didn't come out as narcissism.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 12:55:10 AM
At 1/30/2012 11:10:16 PM, Rusty wrote:
I honestly hope that this doesn't come out as narcicism, as I may be reading too much of what you wrote into my own situation, but I think I understand how you feel to a certain extent.

I recently overheard a Christian that I had held some respect for laugh at the thought of people going to hell because of how stupid and dreadful they would feel at that moment of realization. I don't think anybody else batted an eye at that one. I don't know what your idea of hell includes, but I don't think any Christian should derive pleasure from the thought of people being damned, partly because I don't think any Christian should want anybody to choose damnation in the first place. I'm not trying to be holier-than-thou, but I think that any discussion of damnation should be a lot more somber.

Anyhow, that's just an example of how I feel isolated from a theological stance, there are other aspects as well and it can be quite frustrating at times. I know there's the whole "You should be putting your faith in God, not people" thing, but I thought that the purpose of a Church was to be surrounded by people who help strengthen your relationship with God. Anyhow, sorry for the rant, but I wanted to say that I think I know where you're coming from sort of.

This x 1000.

I also know exactly how you feel Crimson Tokala.

I'll add my beef with a lot of Christians later.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 1:00:53 AM

If god is just, your believe in him wont matter and he will love you anyway.. The world needs Help not hope....... Hope helps .. but Help is alot better .. there are lots of problems to solve.. you need you reason to solve problems in the worlds.. God will be there in the end anyways... because.. wel after all he is GOD right.. ;)
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 2:26:27 AM
At 1/30/2012 9:41:56 PM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
The actions of Christians and the atrocities done in the name of God do not represent Christianity.
Oops!

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me. ' " (Luke 19:27) RSV Story book catholic edition 1965.

We get other tastes of this violent and threatening natured Story book jesus and also of its future violence against those that will not yield e.g. -

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. (John 18:36) KJV Story book

But to the cowards, unbelievers, detestable persons, murderers, the sexually immoral, and those who practice magic spells, idol worshipers, and all those who lie, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. That is the second death." (Rev. 21:8) NET Story book

The one who believes in the Son has eternal life. The one who rejects the Son will not see life, but God's wrath remains on him. (John 3:36) NET Story book

If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, that person was thrown into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:15) NET Story book

That is also another false claim. From personal experience if you do not agree to comply with the incestuous rules of these pretend christians, they ridicule you, fabricate false and slanderous accusations against you personally and then ban you so you have no right of reply!
GeoLaureate8
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 2:38:41 AM
At 1/31/2012 2:26:27 AM, Composer wrote:
Oops!

But as for these enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, bring them here and slay them before me. ' " (Luke 19:27) RSV Story book catholic edition 1965.

We get other tastes of this violent and threatening natured Story book jesus and also of its future violence against those that will not yield e.g. -

Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight, that I should not be delivered to the Jews: but now is my kingdom not from hence. (John 18:36) KJV Story book

But to the cowards, unbelievers, detestable persons, murderers, the sexually immoral, and those who practice magic spells, idol worshipers, and all those who lie, their place will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur. That is the second death." (Rev. 21:8) NET Story book

The one who believes in the Son has eternal life. The one who rejects the Son will not see life, but God's wrath remains on him. (John 3:36) NET Story book

If anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, that person was thrown into the lake of fire. (Rev. 20:15) NET Story book

1. I'm not a Christian.

2. I know that the Bible is full of atrocities and immoral commands in both the Old and New Testament.

3. Not all atrocities are the same. The atrocities of modern day Christians are generally not Biblically based. I dont see Christians stoning people to death who mow thr lawn on the Sabbath.

4. My points remain true. You misunderstood them. You shouldnt judge a religion by the few immoral actions of its followers. Just because a person calls themself a Chrkstian/Hindu/Buddhist doesnt mean that they perfectly follow the doctrines and accurately represent the religion.

"We must raise the standard of the Old, free, decentralized, and strictly limited Republic."
-- Murray Rothbard

"The worst thing that can happen to a good cause is, not to be skillfully attacked, but to be ineptly defended."
-- Frederic Bastiat
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 2:44:49 AM
At 1/30/2012 10:10:37 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Just look at jesus for example. his whole purpose was to save us and everyone wanted to bash his brains in.
There are so many errors in just this tiny comment, but I'll get started -

1. ALL CLAIMS OF JESUS DERIVE FROM HEARSAY ACCOUNTS

No one has the slightest physical evidence to support a historical Jesus; no artifacts, dwelling, works of carpentry, or self-written manuscripts. All claims about Jesus derive from writings of other people. There occurs no contemporary Roman record that shows Pontius Pilate executing a man named Jesus. Devastating to historians, there occurs not a single contemporary writing that mentions Jesus. All documents about Jesus came well after the life of the alleged Jesus from either: unknown authors, people who had never met an earthly Jesus, or from fraudulent, mythical or allegorical writings. Although one can argue that many of these writings come from fraud or interpolations, I will use the information and dates to show that even if these sources did not come from interpolations, they could still not serve as reliable evidence for a historical Jesus, simply because all sources about Jesus derive from hearsay accounts.

Hearsay means information derived from other people rather than on a witness' own knowledge. (Source: http://nobeliefs.com...)

2. In the final analysis there is no evidence that the biblical character called "Jesus Christ" ever existed. As Nicholas Carter concludes in The Christ Myth: "No sculptures, no drawings, no markings in stone, nothing written in his own hand; and no letters, no commentaries, indeed no authentic documents written by his Jewish and Gentile contemporaries, Justice of Tiberius, Philo, Josephus, Seneca, Petronius Arbiter, Pliny the Elder, et al., to lend credence to his historicity." (Source: http://www.truthbeknown.com...)

At 1/30/2012 10:10:37 PM, Lickdafoot wrote:
Just look at jesus for example. his whole purpose was to save us . . . .

3. Story book jesus was a liar & a fraud -

The Christian understanding is that the messiah, Jesus, died for the sins of the people. The messiah is supposed to be a human sacrifice that is the blood sacrifice necessary for the forgiveness of sin.

But we are taught in this proven self contradicting bible that no one can die for the sins of another. -

In Deuteronomy 24:16 (KJV Story book) it specifically says this:

The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the father. Every man shall be put to death for his own sin. (Online Source: http://whatjewsbelieve.org...) - What Jews believe Point 1.)

"The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, nor shall the children be put to death for the fathers; Every man shall be put to death for his own sin. (Deut. 24:16) RSV Story book catholic edition 1965

cf.

Fathers must not be put to death for what their children do, nor children for what their fathers do; each must be put to death for his own sin. (Deut. 24:16) NET Story book

This was later confirmed by -

Ezekiel 18:20 RSV

"THE SON SHALL NOT SUFFER FOR THE INIQUITY OF THE FATHER. NOR THE FATHER SUFFER FOR THE INIQUITY OF THE SON; the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself."

Ezekiel 18:20 also "pulls the rug out from under" Christianity's main premise, that all generations of mankind are burdened with sin and death stemming from Adam's act of disobedience. Only Christ's redeeming shed blood can end this never-ending cycle of sin and death. Quite clearly Ezekiel refutes this notion. "The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father." (Online Source: http://www.bibleorigins.net...)

(cf. Original - The soul that sins shall die. The son shall not suffer for the iniquity of the father, nor the father suffer for the iniquity of the son; the righteousness of the righteous shall be upon himself, and the wickedness of the wicked shall be upon himself (Ezek. 18:20) RSV Story book, catholic edition 1965)
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 3:02:48 AM
At 1/31/2012 2:38:41 AM, GeoLaureate8 wrote:
4. My points remain true. You misunderstood them.
Incorrect! I understood perfectly!

You shouldnt judge a religion by the few immoral actions of its followers.
Why do you suggest not?

To me, if ANY religion contains immoral believers, then obviously the teachings of that group is faulty or else the teachers and or doctrine itself is flawed, resulting in imposters!

Just because a person calls themself a Christian/Hindu/Buddhist doesnt mean that they perfectly follow the doctrines and accurately represent the religion.
(Your Typo corrected) If ANY claim to be legitimate members of ANY Group, then obviously their credentials need to be first examined for authenticity before they can be believed as genuine even by themselves; otherwise they are not only deceiving others but also themselves!

For example these self-acclaimed ' christians ' in all my 50 years of teaching NOT a single genuine one has ever appeared outside of Story book bible land. Unfortunately for them the criteria & promises ' already a given ' to any genuine believer that they must legitimately manifest, ' is spelled out in the Story book biblical text.

Never in all my 50 years personal searching has ANY genuine christian emerged even to pass the simplest of requirements for legitimate candidature!

Cheers!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 3:09:51 AM

I agree and take the example of these self-acclaimed selfish christians believing they can sit back and enjoy eternity in their fictitious heaven whilst knowing their ' non-believing loved ones ' (e.g. Father, Mother, brothers Sisters, children) will they believe spend eternity in Story book biblical hell!

That attitude is unambiguously selfish and grotesque especially also because they bleat that their god is a god of love? LOL!
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 5:33:29 AM
You are suffering from an attack of honesty and self-awareness. All you need to do is ask yourself honestly what do you believe in detail and what evidence do you have for those beliefs?
Rusty
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:01:12 AM
At 1/31/2012 3:09:51 AM, Composer wrote:

I agree and take the example of these self-acclaimed selfish christians believing they can sit back and enjoy eternity in their fictitious heaven whilst knowing their ' non-believing loved ones ' (e.g. Father, Mother, brothers Sisters, children) will they believe spend eternity in Story book biblical hell!

That attitude is unambiguously selfish and grotesque especially also because they bleat that their god is a god of love? LOL!

Izbo? o.O
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 6:57:07 AM

You must become EVER MORE dependent on God; cry out to Him for MORE love, MORE strength, wisdom, patience etc..

We must take a stand in the church: will you be unpopular for Jesus? hated by all? I myself have been chucked out of my own church for taking a stand against women preaching..

This is ALL testing; those He loves He disciplines and prunes..

Message me any time.
The Cross.. the Cross.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 8:34:22 AM

Hey Crimson, your comfort ultimately will come only from Jesus! People, institution, and conventions all too often coerce their agenda into the scripture and twist it to conform to their desires and end up defaming the church of Christ. But the church of Christ is alive and strong and the hell will not prevail on her! The Holy Spirit is our comforter and we need to seek it from Him. The Bible is the center of every part of our walk with Christ: regeneration, justification, sanctification, and glorification. Gods word is what reminds of us His promises even when our emotions fail us. God will also use the local body of believers and pastors to remind us and guide us towards the gospel that is our first love. Good theology would teach you not to look at those around you but to look the scripture for the truth and how a Christian really should live. Also, keep in mind that people do make mistakes. Christians are not an exception to that. If people who claim to be Christians are living a life that conflicts with what God has shown us in the Bible we aught to address them and correct them in a love like that which Christ showed us. Your identity is in Christ. I have often doubted myself as well and if I look to myself I will always doubt myself! It is only when I focus on Jesus that he is my righteousness and that I am identified in him that I find stability and comfort. I can totally relate to not fitting in! My family, and my job! But the church is one place we should fit in. I would urge you to seek out the leaders in your church and become close friends with them. Pray. Grace and peace!
CrimsonTokala
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:33:52 AM
Thank you, everyone...I think what I need to do for myself right now is to get away from my church for awhile. I need remove all the issues and work on what I believe. Because honestly, I just don't know anymore.
jharry
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 1:08:50 PM

Your right, a lot of Christians, Muslims, Atheists, Jews, Democrats, Republicans, Socialists, Communists, Capitalists, bosses, workers , parents, siblings and people in general suck. But not all from any group suck.

But Im afraid your looking in the wrong direction. My advice it to look at you, figure out where you suck and how you can change that. If you will do that you can then have a good starting point. Until then I can promise you what you find looking at the world will be negative every time.

Just my 2¢
In nomine Patris, et Filii, et Spiritus Sancti. Amen
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 8:04:42 PM
At 1/31/2012 6:57:07 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I myself have been chucked out of my own church for taking a stand against women preaching..

It is so sad to see those claiming to be something (e.g. a christian) who have so little accurate knowledge of their own preferred reference Story book (e.g. in this case the bible Story book)

I am glad your old church chucked you out for that reason and they likely did so for the following justifiable reason -

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Gal. 3:28-29) KJV Story book

I am certainly NOT supporting the bible as a holy-text because NO books are however I am passionate that each Story book be examined and quoted accurately!

Hence ANY so called jesus' believer IF proved genuine their Gender becomes absolutely NO impediment against them i.e. In Story book christ there are NO men, women etc. as they are ALL ONE and gender bias (like your patriarchal & macho BS) made redundant!
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
1/31/2012 11:47:23 PM
At 1/31/2012 8:04:42 PM, Composer wrote:
At 1/31/2012 6:57:07 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
I myself have been chucked out of my own church for taking a stand against women preaching..

It is so sad to see those claiming to be something (e.g. a christian) who have so little accurate knowledge of their own preferred reference Story book (e.g. in this case the bible Story book)

I am glad your old church chucked you out for that reason and they likely did so for the following justifiable reason -

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. 29 And if ye [be] Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise. (Gal. 3:28-29) KJV Story book

I am certainly NOT supporting the bible as a holy-text because NO books are however I am passionate that each Story book be examined and quoted accurately!

Hence ANY so called jesus' believer IF proved genuine their Gender becomes absolutely NO impediment against them i.e. In Story book christ there are NO men, women etc. as they are ALL ONE and gender bias (like your patriarchal & macho BS) made redundant!

Comp, if you are saying this verse is saying there is no distinguishing between male or female then a man can have sexual relations with another man, right? With that logic why would the Bible be so adamant against homosexuality? I do not think your interpretation of this verse is logically consistent with the rest of scripture. In context the author is referring to the covenant and promises of God and that those with faith find their identity in Christ as opposed to the law. Gal. 3:27 "27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ." thoughts?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 10:18:01 AM
At 1/31/2012 11:33:52 AM, CrimsonTokala wrote:
Thank you, everyone...I think what I need to do for myself right now is to get away from my church for awhile. I need remove all the issues and work on what I believe. Because honestly, I just don't know anymore.

Can I recommend a Christian Retreat to a Convent? Not recommending becoming a nun, but recommended spending time with Christians that are devoted to God and Christianity rather than many of the hypocrites in the Church.

I would also recommend the realization that the church is the place for sinners and not saints.
Saints are 1 in a 100,000 and perhaps looking into a discipleship program if you are unwilling to go to a convent.

Spending time with real Christians is very important.

Geo is right to point to William Lane Craig and I would add

Frank Turek http://crossexamined.org...

and here:
http://www.conversionpoints.org...
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 10:19:16 AM

The BIBLE represents Christianity. If you like what's in the Bible, be a Christian. If you dislike what's in the Bible, reject Christianity.

Dang, Geo made a VERY intelligent post.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 1:49:25 PM
That is also another false claim. From personal experience if you do not agree to comply with the incestuous rules of these pretend christians, they ridicule you, fabricate false and slanderous accusations against you personally and then ban you so you have no right of reply!:

Composer, I'm right there with you on most of it, but your timing and tone is terrible. The lad is contrite, not a bible-bashing know-it-all and clearly going through cognitive dissonance. Instead of just being there for him as a potential friend, you're using his moment of weakness to launch into anti-religious fervor. Not cool.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 1:52:17 PM
Thank you, everyone...I think what I need to do for myself right now is to get away from my church for awhile. I need remove all the issues and work on what I believe. Because honestly, I just don't know anymore.:

I think most of us can say that we've been there at some point in our lives. Take solace in knowing that you're not alone in this theological struggle. If you need an ear, I'm available.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 4:29:02 PM

Reasonable faith my arse.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/1/2012 4:30:34 PM
At 2/1/2012 10:18:01 AM, Gileandos wrote:

Can I recommend a Christian Retreat to a Convent? Not recommending becoming a nun, but recommended spending time with Christians that are devoted to God and Christianity rather than many of the hypocrites in the Church.

When in doubt, retreat away from knowledge, and surround yourself with people who blindly follow as well. At least W.L.Craig actually confronts the ideas of non-christianity, "retreats" are just that. Retreating.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...