Jump to topic:

WHAT the F*CK is ATHEISM ABOUT

Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:04:22 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Yo religion dudes! I just wanted to pop by and have a chat about atheism. Pretty much everyone I talk to seems to have some serious misunderstandings about it. I want to do a Q and A here - so y'all get with the Q's and I'll get with the A's!

First up though, MAJOR point of clarification: most atheists do not believe that its impossible for god to exist. We just think it doesn't matter! If you cant prove it, why bother? There is so much in life (e.g. everything) to be experienced that we would just rather pay attention to that.

That's all for starters. Ask away dudes.
"My argument was that by believing in God, it causes many people to live better lives than if they didn't believe in atheists which, then, would also cause them to be better citizens."

-keytarhero
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:05:57 PM
No, atheists deny the existence of any sort of god. Agnostics are the ones who neither deny nor support the existence of a god.
This signature is full of timey wimey wibbly wobbly stuff...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:06:58 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:04:22 PM, Ricky_Zahnd wrote:
Yo religion dudes! I just wanted to pop by and have a chat about atheism. Pretty much everyone I talk to seems to have some serious misunderstandings about it. I want to do a Q and A here - so y'all get with the Q's and I'll get with the A's!

First up though, MAJOR point of clarification: most atheists do not believe that its impossible for god to exist. We just think it doesn't matter! If you cant prove it, why bother? There is so much in life (e.g. everything) to be experienced that we would just rather pay attention to that.

What you think does not matter. But to the rest of the world, we know whats really going on. And when that meteor falls from the sky, you will be praying you little tail off like a Nun.
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:07:55 PM

hey man, I'm a musim, but since being in America, have befriended a couple atheists. When did you find out you were an atheist? btw, you do know that when the christian right members of DDO see this, they will attack? Just carry an umbrella with you, there's a sh!tstorm on the horizon
-Tourism & Immigration minister for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
"hey, no Jerry springer here!"
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:08:20 PM

Do you believe in sprits ?
Do you believe in Angels ?
Do you believe in Demons ?
And if you saw one, would you have a change of heart.
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:08:34 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:06:58 PM, inferno wrote:

What you think does not matter. But to the rest of the world, we know whats really going on. And when that meteor falls from the sky, you will be praying you little tail off like a Nun.

No, Inferno, a meteor will not cause the end of the Earth, rather in a few billion years the sun will have expanded so much that the Earth will burn up. And by then, I will be long dead and gone.
bhatti1020
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:09:35 PM

Inferno- if you want more people to come to god, telling them what they think doesnt matter, and acting like a douche won't help.
-Tourism & Immigration minister for the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
"hey, no Jerry springer here!"
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:10:15 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:08:34 PM, MasterKage wrote:

No, Inferno, a meteor will not cause the end of the Earth, rather in a few billion years the sun will have expanded so much that the Earth will burn up. And by then, I will be long dead and gone.

Or, in about 10-11 months, the world will randomly implode.

I know its true, cause they made a movie about it.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:10:18 PM

I mean Looooooooonnnnnnnngggggggg dead and gone.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:10:19 PM

Okay, first q as related to your "if you can't prove it, why bother" mantra so to speak. Can you prove to me (or even to yourself) that there's an external, mind-independent world? If not, why bother pretending that there is one?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
MasterKage
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:11:35 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:10:15 PM, OberHerr wrote:

Or, in about 10-11 months, the world will randomly implode.

I know its true, cause they made a movie about it.

No, the Earth will not be just randomly implode. If the world does end any time soon, it won't be by natural causes, trust me.
Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:32:43 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:05:57 PM, MasterKage wrote:
No, atheists deny the existence of any sort of god. Agnostics are the ones who neither deny nor support the existence of a god.

Well... I am an atheist and I know what I believe. Most atheists deny that there is any sense in believing that there might be a god. I say most because it would be silly to say all, but every atheist I've talked to about it feels the same.
"My argument was that by believing in God, it causes many people to live better lives than if they didn't believe in atheists which, then, would also cause them to be better citizens."

-keytarhero
Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:33:35 PM

Inferno I am really suspicious that you are an awesome troll, and I respect that, but I also have a rule against feeding trolls.

-keytarhero
Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:39:58 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:07:55 PM, bhatti1020 wrote:

hey man, I'm a musim, but since being in America, have befriended a couple atheists. When did you find out you were an atheist? btw, you do know that when the christian right members of DDO see this, they will attack? Just carry an umbrella with you, there's a sh!tstorm on the horizon

Hi! Nice to meetcha. I've known that I was an atheist since I was very young. I think I can date the beginning of my atheism to the first time someone told me that people believe in god. I always loved the idea that I could know how everything worked if I devoted myself to studying it, and the idea that it was out of my hands made me upset as a kid. Hearing that people think observational evidence was put there as a trick was really hard for me, but I knew where I stood on that one quickly. It just didn't seem fair.

And yeh, thanks for the warning! I'm not here to instigate, though. If they want to get rough, they're welcome to debate me!

-keytarhero
Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:42:22 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:08:20 PM, inferno wrote:

Do you believe in sprits ?
Do you believe in Angels ?
Do you believe in Demons ?
And if you saw one, would you have a change of heart.

Sorry dude I know about you. Although it is an interesting question. I'll answer it if someone else asks!

-keytarhero
Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:47:14 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:10:19 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Okay, first q as related to your "if you can't prove it, why bother" mantra so to speak. Can you prove to me (or even to yourself) that there's an external, mind-independent world? If not, why bother pretending that there is one?

Yes I can! With the tools I was given at birth, namely, my senses. While they do not enable me to dispel philosophical issues like the one you just posed to complete certainty, they do enable me to dispel it to the furthest point anyone can. I don't think it makes sense to consider things that are undemonstrable by their own design, because I feel that it cheapens our own tools, faculties, and intelligences.

-keytarhero
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:52:14 PM

There is no benefit to pretending there isn't one.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:56:20 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:52:14 PM, nonentity wrote:

In fact... So far as I can tell.. there's plenty of benefit in assuming there IS one!

now.. pretending there's a god? o.O...
well.. It seems plenty of people do it.. but it's usually a more Social thing anywho...

and I'll readily admit that there's good social reasons to pretend.. and perhaps psychological ones too if you're insecure and hate yourself/existence generally.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:57:27 PM

Additionally, no one is forcing you to believe, and no one is forcing you to do anything...
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 6:58:36 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:57:27 PM, nonentity wrote:

Additionally, no one is forcing you to believe, and no one is forcing you to do anything...

and it's not Pretending anyhow.. it's Assuming..

because it Seems to be..

God doesn't.. simple.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 7:05:00 PM
At 2/2/2012 6:56:20 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
Can you prove to me (or even to yourself) that there's an external, mind-independent world? If not, why bother pretending that there is one?

In fact... So far as I can tell.. there's plenty of benefit in assuming there IS one!

as I said, so far as I can tell..

It seems to me that Operating given the assumption of Physical Reality lands me with the ability to better control when I feel Pleasure and pain.. things I inherently care about...

The notions of physical reality.. and the idea that I'm a part of it.. apparently allow me to better regulate those things I care about..

Therefore it's sensible to do so... b/c I care to have what I care to have done done.. And care to not have those things I don't like to happen Happen... Simple :)

Metaphysics:
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 7:19:31 PM

So the only benefit is pragmatic?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 7:31:01 PM
At 2/2/2012 7:19:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Guys c'mon just go and debate each other I didn't make this thread for flame wars.

-keytarhero
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 7:36:28 PM
At 2/2/2012 7:19:31 PM, popculturepooka wrote:

Only benefit?

"pragmatic" means for some good reason... To some effect.. Effectual..

So.. if there's a reason to do it.. it's "Pragmatic"..

why slight the broad ranging benefit of Pragmatism with the qualifier "only"...? it doesn't seem to fit.

Metaphysics:
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 7:37:25 PM
At 2/2/2012 7:31:01 PM, Ricky_Zahnd wrote:
Guys c'mon just go and debate each other I didn't make this thread for flame wars.

oh shut up ya ninny

Metaphysics:
Ricky_Zahnd
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/2/2012 7:51:20 PM
At 2/2/2012 7:37:25 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/2/2012 7:31:01 PM, Ricky_Zahnd wrote:

oh shut up ya ninny

blurb flurb. I don't even get what ya'll are griping about.. One of you said that there's good reason to believe in the observable world and the other said that there's no reason to not believe in the observable world. Are you disagreeing??

-keytarhero
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 12:43:31 AM

I have a question. Why did you guys start totalitarianism and fascism and kill all those people in Russia, China, Germany, etc?
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:51:20 AM
At 2/3/2012 12:43:31 AM, vbaculum wrote:

I have a question. Why did you guys start totalitarianism and fascism and kill all those people in Russia, China, Germany, etc?

Because totalitarian fascist pseudo-communists happen to be atheist when they kill in the name of socialism. Why do you think it's called "The Great Socialist Experiment" and not "The Great Atheist Experiment"?

Anyway, when the world was as populated as it was, the death tolls go up. Atheism killed maybe ~2% of the population at any one country. Christianity and other religions have, however, killed a much larger proportion, and has done it many more times.

Also, I reject the truth of the statement that hitler was atheist. There is so much confusion, falsehoods and mindchanging in his regime that the only logical conclusion is that his religion had absolutely no impact in his personal views. In fact, the same is probably true for all the psychopathic leaders.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/3/2012 1:51:56 AM
At 2/2/2012 6:05:57 PM, MasterKage wrote:

Not quite. An agnostic states that it is unknowable.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...