Jump to topic:

What is God?

CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 10:03:40 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
How can the question of God be answered if the word itself is not understood?

So without responding or arguing with other posters, tell me what you believe God means. Be as wordy as you need to be to make the concept clear. Try to as specific as possible.

A simple answer like, "the creator" doesn't really tell us anything. That conjures up a lot of images.

So anyway, tell us what you believe here, and even if it doesn't get everyone on the same page, it will aide everyone in their ability to communicate.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 10:54:04 AM
I am alive. I can think. I can see all the stuff out there is in the world...

Either I am just a really odd product of chance and my life and intellect has no real meaning and significance. My existence will be over in few decades. In this case my life without any purpose or meaning.

Or there is a reason and an explanation for me being here. That leads us directly to God.

To me at least, it is obvious that the latter is true.

I cannot fathom the mind which would rationally consider absence of purpose and meaning. There is nothing in the observable universe which supports such a contention. I suspect most people turn to atheism as they get disillusioned with major religions and the corresponding adherents whom they encounter in there experience.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 10:59:48 AM
In your own words, gentlemen. You may think this is stupid, but I wouldn't be asking I didn't have a reason.

@Baggins

That doesn't really describe what God is, it seems more like a rationale. Could you describe in better detail what God is? What God means?
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 11:15:31 AM
At 2/5/2012 10:59:48 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:
In your own words, gentlemen. You may think this is stupid, but I wouldn't be asking I didn't have a reason.

@Baggins

That doesn't really describe what God is, it seems more like a rationale. Could you describe in better detail what God is? What God means?

I don't know what you mean by detail. If you want to know what God looks like or what God is made up, I don't have any idea.

Normally we try to understand God through the characteristics of God. Some of the characteristics are mercy, justice, forgiveness.

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 11:20:05 AM
This may serve as a good definition (though I am afraid it is not in my own words)

The Holy Quran 2:255: Allah! There is no God save Him, the Alive, the Eternal. Neither slumber nor sleep overtaketh Him. Unto Him belongeth whatsoever is in the heavens and whatsoever is in the earth. Who is he that intercedeth with Him save by His leave? He knoweth that which is in front of them and that which is behind them, while they encompass nothing of His knowledge save what He will. His throne includeth the heavens and the earth, and He is never weary of preserving them. He is the Sublime, the Tremendous.

royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 11:22:54 AM
At 2/5/2012 10:54:04 AM, baggins wrote:

Either I am just a really odd product of chance and my life and intellect has no real meaning and significance. My existence will be over in few decades. In this case my life without any purpose or meaning.

Or there is a reason and an explanation for me being here. That leads us directly to God.

I cannot fathom the mind which would rationally consider absence of purpose and meaning. There is nothing in the observable universe which supports such a contention. I suspect most people turn to atheism as they get disillusioned with major religions and the corresponding adherents whom they encounter in there experience.

It seems to me that you only believe in a god because you are afraid that your life is meaningless without its existence. The idea of "meaningfulness" is nothing but human arrogance; life is meaningless.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 11:25:22 AM
Second paragraph of OP, Royal.
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 12:29:58 PM
At 2/5/2012 11:22:54 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
At 2/5/2012 10:54:04 AM, baggins wrote:

It seems to me that you only believe in a god because you are afraid that your life is meaningless without its existence. The idea of "meaningfulness" is nothing but human arrogance; life is meaningless.

Normally I would have responded. But later, maybe...

MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 1:03:16 PM
At 2/5/2012 10:03:40 AM, CosmicAlfonzo wrote:

So without responding or arguing with other posters, tell me what you believe God means. Be as wordy as you need to be to make the concept clear. Try to as specific as possible.

A simple answer like, "the creator" doesn't really tell us anything. That conjures up a lot of images.

So anyway, tell us what you believe here, and even if it doesn't get everyone on the same page, it will aide everyone in their ability to communicate.

The word God has so much baggage, it's impossible to define it sensibly and there is a strong likelihood that a creator God as depicted in Holy Books doesn't exist. The word religion also presents problems. What might be better is a discussion about spirituality or meaning. I think it's the process we go through when thinking about deep issues that's more important than getting "the answer". It's about the journey not the destination.

When people are physically fit, mentally agile, have enough money and have no problems with their relationships you would think that's enough. For some people it isn't – they feel there's still something missing, something intangible and profound. This explains why hundreds of millions of people on the planet describe themselves as either "religious" or "spiritual". At some point in their lives, most people will have contemplated at least one of the following:

Am I fulfilled, at peace, happy?
When I reach the end of my life will I have few or no regrets?
Do I have a life purpose or are human beings just one of many end products of evolution on this planet?
Do I believe in God – if not, what moral reference point do I use?
Does my awareness continue in some form after physical death or is life that brief interlude between two eternal sleeps?

These are the big questions that the human race has agonised over for centuries. And "spirituality" (if I dare use the term) or "meaning" doesn't have to be about lofty issues – it can be "down to earth". It is I suppose any feeling we get when we have a sensation of connectedness to a bigger picture – for some it could be listening to a piece of music, watching a great movie or even going to a football match to support their team. For others it could be researching their family tree or simply the overwhelming love that a parent has for their child.

Sorry about the above. I've had an attack of profoundness and insight. Still don't believe in God though.
tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/5/2012 4:11:35 PM
What is God?
Well, God immediately brings to mind images of the protagonist of the bronze age fairy tales of the Judeo-Christian religion. To me, this: is what he looks like: http://www.hoolinet.com...

Now I don't want to seem like I'm up Dawkin's arse or anything, but his description in The God Delusion is just about perfect:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

I'd say this probably applies to the God of Islam as well.
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 5:22:22 AM

WHAT is God? (He is light) is not nearly so interesting as WHO is God?

We know Who He is by the cross of Christ, Who is the mirror image of the Father:

God SUFFERS our sin, pays the price for them..
He DRINKS down our rotten deeds.. (vinegar)
By giving us freewill He has put Himself at OUR mercy,,
From this position He BLESSES us all, ALL the time..
He THIRSTS for us to love one another, for righteousness..
The Cross.. the Cross.
young_grasshopper
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 8:03:45 PM
It really depends on your own point of view and personal belief.

To me, God is the omnipotent creator of the universe and is an omnibenevolent and personal God. :)
vbaculum
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 11:06:17 AM
I'm suprised I didn't see this post already - it's an interesting topic.

"God", for almost everybody in the world, means Yahwey - an ancient semetic war god. Deists and Pantheists have had their way with this word and ancient greek philosophers like Epictetus used the word "God" (or whatever their Greek rendering of "God" would be) in their philosophy. I think much of the memetic usefulness of the word "God" can be attributed to the influence of all these groups. For example, you can say "God is everything" and you wouldn't offend a single monotheist or a scientifically minded Pantheist who thought religion was essentially silly. The writings of Pantheists, Deists and the ancient Greeks have done much to make this bible monster seem like a sophisticated and trancendent concept.

I don't think the word "God" is very useful to the philosopher who is trying to understand the true nature of the wolrd. It doesn't connote anything that coresponds to reality.
"If you claim to value nonviolence and you consume animal products, you need to rethink your position on nonviolence." - Gary Francione

THE WORLD IS VEGAN! If you want it
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:02:32 PM
"God is a Spirit, in and of Himself infinite in being, glory, blessedness, and perfection; all-sufficient, eternal, unchangeable, incomprehensible, every where present, almighty, knowing all things, most wise, most holy, most just, most merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth."

The Westminster Confession of Faith
Mirza
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:05:04 PM
At 2/5/2012 4:11:35 PM, tvellalott wrote:
What is God?
Well, God immediately brings to mind images of the protagonist of the bronze age fairy tales of the Judeo-Christian religion. To me, this: is what he looks like: http://www.hoolinet.com...

Now I don't want to seem like I'm up Dawkin's arse or anything, but his description in The God Delusion is just about perfect:
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all of fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomanical, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully."

I'd say this probably applies to the God of Islam as well.
You have a heavy burden of proof by saying that, sir. Mostly because God never commanded any violence outside of battle in the Qur'an, particularly not on civilians. That's a gigantic difference to the Bible depicting God's commands as "bashing newborns against rocks" and whatnot. There's no contest between the Qur'an and the Bible here. The Bible wins that description by far.
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:26:34 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:02:32 PM, joneszj wrote:
"God is a Spirit, in and of Himself infinite in being, glory, blessedness, and perfection; all-sufficient, eternal, unchangeable, incomprehensible, every where present, almighty, knowing all things, most wise, most holy, most just, most merciful and gracious, long-suffering, and abundant in goodness and truth."

"Himself infinite in being"

I thought believers thought that infinity doesn't exist in reality? William Lane Craig always tries to disprove infinity so unless you disagree with him, then saying something is infinite makes no sense.

"perfection"

God cannot be perfect if he exists because no perfect being would design or create anything. Creation and design are only tools used to improve on imperfection. For example, if I was perfect I wouldn't get cold but I do so a house needs designing, if I was perfect I could send you this message telepathically but I'm not so a computer, monitor, internet ect. needs to designing. If there was a perfect being who actually existed, there would be no reason for him to create and design a thing.

"knowing all things"

Also if he is all knowing, then life cannot be a test. A test is to determine an outcome, but if God already knew all outcomes, there would be no reason to run tests meaning that any "God is testing us" claims can be immediately be discredited by someone claiming God is also all knowing .
"must just"

Also must just makes no sense because good people die due to natural disasters (which God supposedly put there in the first place) while evil people survive, meaning he is not most just because even I could create a setting more just than that.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:27:34 PM
Second paragraph of op, Mirza.

I don't understand half of these answers, but I've given up on asking people to clarify.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:29:35 PM
Creator, Savior, everlasting.

Loving, but just, and holy forever.

Thats what he is to me.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 4:58:04 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:26:34 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/9/2012 3:02:32 PM, joneszj wrote:

"Himself infinite in being"

I thought believers thought that infinity doesn't exist in reality? William Lane Craig always tries to disprove infinity so unless you disagree with him, then saying something is infinite makes no sense.

Craig and I disagree on a few things ;-0 But, I do not think he would say God is not infinite. Craig is pointing out that infinity is not possible in finite reality (creation) but God is not contingent to creation and is infinite. Would you mind citing a quote from him saying God in finite please?

"perfection"

God cannot be perfect if he exists because no perfect being would design or create anything. Creation and design are only tools used to improve on imperfection. For example, if I was perfect I wouldn't get cold but I do so a house needs designing, if I was perfect I could send you this message telepathically but I'm not so a computer, monitor, internet ect. needs to designing. If there was a perfect being who actually existed, there would be no reason for him to create and design a thing.

Your first sentence is pure speculation. Further, God did not create to 'build' upon Himself, but instead to manifest His glory. Also, the perfection in the context is in reference to His attributes.

For more examine: http://carm.org...

"knowing all things"

Also if he is all knowing, then life cannot be a test. A test is to determine an outcome, but if God already knew all outcomes, there would be no reason to run tests meaning that any "God is testing us" claims can be immediately be discredited by someone claiming God is also all knowing .
"must just"

Who said life is a test? Also, if "God is testing us" it does not mean He does not know the outcome. It may be that the outcome that is desired via the 'testing'. 'Testing' in this sense is really anthro-centric yet God being all knowing it is more of a 'molding into'.

Also must just makes no sense because good people die due to natural disasters (which God supposedly put there in the first place) while evil people survive, meaning he is not most just because even I could create a setting more just than that.

In Gods providence He allows wicked and 'good' people to survive and die; prosper and fail. Ultimately all will but judged. Biblically the evil that happens to us is because of us and we deserve it. God has mercy on who He has mercy and in His grace He saves the church.
Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 5:28:25 PM

God/Creator/Higher Power = Everything/Actuality
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/14/2012 6:10:22 AM
At 2/9/2012 3:14:47 AM, Composer wrote:
The mythical product/concept of some human minds!

The exact opposite of the truth!

God created man..

Satan says; no, man created God!

That guy has NO imagination, he only contradicts everything God says!

John 8:44
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:19:48 PM
At 2/14/2012 6:10:22 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 2/9/2012 3:14:47 AM, Composer wrote:
The mythical product/concept of some human minds!

The exact opposite of the truth!

God created man..

Satan says; no, man created God!
Your preferred Story book states that your god = Satan!

Here's the proof using your own preferred Story book -

"And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah". (2 Samuel 24: 1) KJV story book

Comparing this parallel account of the same incident we read: -

And Satan stood up against Israel, , , , (1 Chron. 21: 1) KJV story book

Later in story book 1 Chron. 21 we read: -

And God was displeased with this thing; therefore he smote Israel. {And...: Heb. And it was evil in the eyes of the LORD concerning this thing} 8 And David said unto God, I have sinned greatly, because I have done this thing: but now, I beseech thee, do away the iniquity of thy servant; for I have done very foolishly. (1 Chron. 21: 7 - 8) KJV story book

So the ADVERSARY = Satan (i.e. Satan is a Hebrew Word - Metaphor) that was against Israel / smote Israel - was definitely not a naughty spirit angel supernatural being (which don't literally exist in or out of the story book pages) but was story book god itself!

So according to their own preferred Story book, god worshippers are actually also Satan worshippers!

Much better luck next time you Satan worshippers. LOL!
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 8:33:54 PM
You belong to your father, the devil, and you want to carry out your father's desires. He was a murderer from the beginning, not holding to the truth, for there is no truth in him. When he lies, he speaks his native language, for he is a liar and the father of lies.

The liar from the beginning according to your preferred Story book was your god!

In your preferred Story book your god lied -

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: {thou...: Heb. eating thou shalt eat} 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die . {thou shalt surely ...: Heb. dying thou shalt die } (Gen. 2:16-17) KJV Story book

Adam neither died Physically nor Spiritually on that day, and the Serpent Creature told the Truth!

Conversely, your god is a liar from the beginning, and you and your likeminded Cult try to perpetuate those lies, you Satan worshippers you!

Much better luck next times!
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 9:32:48 PM
At 2/15/2012 8:33:54 PM, Composer wrote:

The liar from the beginning according to your preferred Story book was your god!

In your preferred Story book your god lied -

And the LORD God commanded the man, saying, Of every tree of the garden thou mayest freely eat: {thou...: Heb. eating thou shalt eat} 17 But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: for in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die . {thou shalt surely ...: Heb. dying thou shalt die } (Gen. 2:16-17) KJV Story book

Adam neither died Physically nor Spiritually on that day, and the Serpent Creature told the Truth!

Conversely, your god is a liar from the beginning, and you and your likeminded Cult try to perpetuate those lies, you Satan worshippers you!

Much better luck next times!

Go away troll. Adults are talking
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
16kadams
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 11:41:54 PM
How do I explain something I do not believe in ?
https://www.youtube.com...
https://rekonomics.wordpress.com...
"A trend is a trend, but the question is, will it bend? Will it alter its course through some unforeseen force and come to a premature end?" -- Alec Cairncross