ConservativePolitico
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/6/2012 11:14:01 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Read this article if you would:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

In it you will see that the two men who banged their head on the ground and howled and were reportedly possessed by demons were witnessed by two Swiss Guardsmen.

Now, if one were to get both guardsmen to testify seperately from each other and unknowing of the other's questioning and their stories matched up would you believe this claim?

I'm curious.
Wnope
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 2:24:08 AM
At 2/6/2012 11:14:01 PM, ConservativePolitico wrote:

In it you will see that the two men who banged their head on the ground and howled and were reportedly possessed by demons were witnessed by two Swiss Guardsmen.

Now, if one were to get both guardsmen to testify seperately from each other and unknowing of the other's questioning and their stories matched up would you believe this claim?

I'm curious.

These "possessed" people sound much more like humans experiencing a psychotic episode, possibly linked to schizophrenia.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if two deluded individuals believed themselves to be possessed by demons would also, using the same fantasy, expunge the demons upon witnessing the Pope.

Also, I highly doubt the Pope has telekinetic body-slam abilities:

""The Pope watched from a distance. He raised an arm and blessed the four of them. For the possessed it was like a furious jolt - a blow to their whole bodies - to the extent that they were thrown three metres backwards,"

For Americans, that's the equivalent of a person being thrown back nine feet. Someone leaping backwards would be lucky to clear their own height, much less nine feet.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 2:46:02 AM
No, there really is only so many ways individuals who are inclined as these individuals seem to be religiously can interpret these events. If two Pentecostal evangelists started speaking tongues, it doesn't matter if they're separated, they're going to have pretty similar accounts about what happened to them.

Plus eyewitness testimony itself is unreliable in a general sense, why we would trust their accounts of a possible schizoid episode on their parts is beyond me.
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 3:16:03 AM
At 2/7/2012 2:24:08 AM, Wnope wrote:

I'm curious.

These "possessed" people sound much more like humans experiencing a psychotic episode, possibly linked to schizophrenia.

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if two deluded individuals believed themselves to be possessed by demons would also, using the same fantasy, expunge the demons upon witnessing the Pope.

Also, I highly doubt the Pope has telekinetic body-slam abilities:

""The Pope watched from a distance. He raised an arm and blessed the four of them. For the possessed it was like a furious jolt - a blow to their whole bodies - to the extent that they were thrown three metres backwards,"

For Americans, that's the equivalent of a person being thrown back nine feet. Someone leaping backwards would be lucky to clear their own height, much less nine feet.

Hush up now! People are not supposed to know about that
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 4:33:12 AM
You should believe .. until some one can prove it false... You have to reason not too, its not any more crazy then the rest.

its a good explanation.. . ;)

The Fool in the vatican.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
Littlekappa
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:56:49 AM
No.

Two people can have corroborating, flawed explanations. I would believe their statement about the event, but would find any explanation that they tried to apply to it questionable conjecture (the same would be true for them both to declare that the cause for the action was schitozphrenia ... they're making explanatory assumptions about an odd behavior that may or may not be true.)
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/7/2012 9:48:59 PM

No. They could have experienced the same phenomenon and so had similar experiences. That doesn't mean that it is supernatural.

I'm curious.