Jump to topic:

Is Deism a type of Theism?

Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:29:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I was always under the impression that theism is based on a personal God and religion and Deism was based on a no personal God and rejection of religious traditions...However, I've been hearing lately that Deism is a type of Theism , is this true?
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 3:43:47 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:29:42 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
I was always under the impression that theism is based on a personal God and religion and Deism was based on a no personal God and rejection of religious traditions...However, I've been hearing lately that Deism is a type of Theism , is this true?

From my understanding it would depend on what type of Deism.
http://www.iep.utm.edu...

If the idea of God as a metaphysical force is Deistic supernaturalism but denies a personal God. Depends on who you read if this is valid to them as theism or not.

The idea of a personal Deity under Deism is a subcategory (huge discussion in the 1700's) of Theism though, so most philosophers will state.
Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 5:14:47 PM
At 2/9/2012 3:29:42 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:

Modern Deists do not specify if God is personal or not. That belief is left up to the individual. All Deists believe in a higher power though (God). If you feel that qualifies it as a type of Theism, then so be it.

Are you interested in becoming a Deist?
Rational_Thinker9119
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/9/2012 9:35:10 PM
At 2/9/2012 5:14:47 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:

No, there is no evidence in favor of the existence of a conscious intelligent creator that I deem as valid or persuasive. I was simply curious what people on here believed because I have seen some Deist vs Theist feuds on the internet but also people claiming that deism is a type of theism.
Justin_Thiel
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/10/2012 10:37:57 AM
At 2/9/2012 9:35:10 PM, Rational_Thinker9119 wrote:
At 2/9/2012 5:14:47 PM, Justin_Thiel wrote:

No, there is no evidence in favor of the existence of a conscious intelligent creator that I deem as valid or persuasive. I was simply curious what people on here believed because I have seen some Deist vs Theist feuds on the internet but also people claiming that deism is a type of theism.

Fair enough. I respect your view.