Total Posts:15|Showing Posts:1-15
Jump to topic:

Compendium of all religious arguments

Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.

Can anyone add to the list for me? I'd be very grateful.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
MyVoiceInYourHead
Posts: 260
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 1:19:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.


Can anyone add to the list for me? I'd be very grateful.

Argument from Assertion

There is a God. There is. There is.
nonentity
Posts: 5,008
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 1:40:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 1:19:38 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:

Argument from Assertion

There is a God. There is. There is.

LMAO x 10. I was actually thinking "What's that?"
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 4:06:05 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 1:19:38 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:
At 2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.


Can anyone add to the list for me? I'd be very grateful.

Argument from Assertion

There is a God. There is. There is.

Is that like the athiest argument?
'There is No God. There isn't. There isn't!"
or its kid brother....
"Nuh uh!"
or its ugly stepfather.....
"You have NO EVIDENCE!"

I think you may have confused the theist arguments with atheist ones.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 4:30:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 4:06:05 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 2/11/2012 1:19:38 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:
At 2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.

Reformed Epistemology

Pascal's Wager (and other wagers)

Historical Argument for the historicity of Jesus

Historical Argument for the historicity of the Bible


Can anyone add to the list for me? I'd be very grateful.

Argument from Assertion

There is a God. There is. There is.

Is that like the athiest argument?
'There is No God. There isn't. There isn't!"
or its kid brother....
"Nuh uh!"
or its ugly stepfather.....
"You have NO EVIDENCE!"

I think you may have confused the theist arguments with atheist ones.

Actually, it's one i know a lot of, because it is very popular in modern successful philosophers. Swinburne's argument is (vaguely) similar, that you need some faith to believe in God, and the evidence only takes you so far (lecture on Credibility and Credulity will be out sometime soon, he only did it last week but a great one on the subject), and Dr. Clark has put up a defence of Reformed Epistemology, which is this argument. Which is why I am adding to the list.

http://www.calvin.edu...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
MyVoiceInYourHead
Posts: 260
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 4:34:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 4:06:05 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 2/11/2012 1:19:38 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:
At 2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.


Can anyone add to the list for me? I'd be very grateful.

Argument from Assertion

There is a God. There is. There is.

Is that like the athiest argument?
'There is No God. There isn't. There isn't!"
or its kid brother....
"Nuh uh!"
or its ugly stepfather.....
"You have NO EVIDENCE!"

I think you may have confused the theist arguments with atheist ones.

I seem to have struck a nerve here. Your argument is bollocks on stilts by the way.
I don't know any atheists who assert so definitely that there is no God. I personally really want to believe that there is a God who is just and who loves me. I don't want to end up as worm food. But then I realise this belief is all from ego and probably isn't true.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 4:50:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Very much so. Can anyone add a few more arguments to the list, especially regarding Cosmological/Teleological/Ontological/Moral arguments?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 4:58:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 4:30:30 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
At 2/11/2012 4:06:05 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 2/11/2012 1:19:38 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:
At 2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley, "Leibnizian" Cosmological argument),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.

Reformed Epistemology

Pascal's Wager (and other wagers)

Historical Argument for the historicity of Jesus

Historical Argument for the historicity of the Bible

Argument from Faith (Dr Clark)
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/11/2012 8:10:43 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 4:50:50 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Very much so. Can anyone add a few more arguments to the list, especially regarding Cosmological/Teleological/Ontological/Moral arguments?

The contingency argument would be one missing off the top of my head.
Also is your intent to include variations?
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:43:10 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 8:10:43 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 2/11/2012 4:50:50 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
Very much so. Can anyone add a few more arguments to the list, especially regarding Cosmological/Teleological/Ontological/Moral arguments?

The contingency argument would be one missing off the top of my head.
Also is your intent to include variations?

Variants of major arguments, yes. Three cosmological ways would be bundled into one, though.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
Rational_Thinker9119
Posts: 9,054
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 10:10:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 4:06:05 PM, Gileandos wrote:
At 2/11/2012 1:19:38 PM, MyVoiceInYourHead wrote:
At 2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.


Can anyone add to the list for me? I'd be very grateful.

Argument from Assertion

There is a God. There is. There is.

Is that like the athiest argument?
'There is No God. There isn't. There isn't!"
or its kid brother....
"Nuh uh!"
or its ugly stepfather.....
"You have NO EVIDENCE!"

I think you may have confused the theist arguments with atheist ones.

No atheist says that "there isn't a God because there isn't there just isn't" lol That is purely a theist type of argument that God does exist. Atheism just says that theism hasn't met their burden of proof, therefore there is no reason to believe God exists. Theists can't claim that atheism hasn't met our burden of proof, because we have none, we aren't claiming something exists. There are many reasons to believe he doesn't exist without having to infer that theists haven't met their burden of proof, but it's the most honest answer, no theist has met their burden of proof.
royalpaladin
Posts: 22,357
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 10:12:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Faith Argument

I know in my heart that there is a god, so it must be true! You must stop thinking with your mind and feel with your heart to find him! Rational thought is evil and emotions are supreme.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 1:30:50 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 10:12:57 AM, royalpaladin wrote:
Faith Argument

I know in my heart that there is a god, so it must be true! You must stop thinking with your mind and feel with your heart to find him! Rational thought is evil and emotions are supreme.

...I already added argument from faith a while ago, I thought.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/15/2012 10:30:15 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/11/2012 12:52:47 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
what are ALL the major religious arguments? I'm trying to construct a list of them. So far, I've got:
Cosmological argument (containing 1st, 2nd, 3rd ways of Aquinas, Kalam, Paley),

Teleological (Aquinas' final way, Paley, Fine Tuning, ID),

Ontological argument (Anselm),

Moral Argument,

Transcendental argument,

Argument from Divine Experience,

The culminative case argument (Swinburne),

Argument from Miracles,

Argument from Prophecy fulfilment.


Can anyone add to the list for me? I'd be very grateful.

If there is no God there are no atheists.