Total Posts:51|Showing Posts:1-30|Last Page
Jump to topic:

Richard Dawkins.

Koopin
Posts: 12,090
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:21:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
He just died! As a Christian, I am overjoyed. Ok, not really. Anyway,

I hate how if you have read Richard Dawkins you are now a MASTER ATHEIST. Pwning Christians left in right like N00bs. I keep getting referred to read him, like he is some sort of medicine. "I suggest Richard Dawkins, three times a day." I've read his work, and don't care for it. There are other atheist writers. Just fed up with it. Is this how you feel when Christians try to get you to read the bible?
kfc
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:22:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
Well, the only good thing about this is that he wont annoy the FRIG out of me anymore with his arrogance.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:34:20 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 4:21:32 PM, Koopin wrote:
He just died!

WHAT
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:34:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?

Sorry, I have no idea what your actually asking. Clarification?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:34:54 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
...I just fell for something stupid, surely?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:38:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 4:34:54 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
...I just fell for something stupid, surely?

Nope I think he is actually dead.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
XDebatorX
Posts: 59
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:40:38 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
His Books are not even that intellectual. The trio of the big atheists today are: sam harris, christopher hitchens, and dawkins. William Lane Craig destroyed both harris and hitchens in huge debates at oxford on the existence of God. Craig asked Dawkins for a debate but he was too scared because he knew he couldn't touch craig's arguments (disagree with one about ressurection of jesus). Craig also destroyed all of his weak arguments in god delusion.

Are you really sure he is dead though??? Can you show me a link or something??
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:45:51 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
NVM, I'm not sure he is dead. Were you talking about Hitchens?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
XDebatorX
Posts: 59
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:47:26 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I know Hitchens is dead but I am not sure if Dawkins is dead. Searching on google but not finding anything can anyone show some evidence?
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 4:54:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
No, Craig debated Hitchens and Harris in Biola University. Now, Biola University is a Christian Evangelical University, and the problem of the debate for Hitchens/Harris was obvious: 20 minute introduction of arguments - which atheism lacks a lot due to the nature of the position, while Christianity has excess of (I can name a couple dozen from the top of my head, each sounding different but many refuted the same way). Then, there is a 5 minute rebuttal.

Any debate done is different to this: only evangelical debaters use this style.

Also, I would say that if Craig lost the debates, he should be extremely ashamed. Hitchens has a degree in PPE specialising politics, and Harris is a Doctorate scientist, with only a bachelors in philosophy.

On the other hand, Craig has a doctorate in Philosophy and 2 cumma sum laudes, and a ThD, as well as over 30 years debating experience. If he lost, quite frankly, I would not feel a victory for atheists, I would feel ashamed for every single philosopher and debater here.
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
PARADIGM_L0ST
Posts: 6,958
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 5:01:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 4:21:32 PM, Koopin wrote:
He just died! As a Christian, I am overjoyed. Ok, not really. Anyway,

I hate how if you have read Richard Dawkins you are now a MASTER ATHEIST. Pwning Christians left in right like N00bs. I keep getting referred to read him, like he is some sort of medicine. "I suggest Richard Dawkins, three times a day." I've read his work, and don't care for it. There are other atheist writers. Just fed up with it. Is this how you feel when Christians try to get you to read the bible?:

Alot of atheists don't like Dawkins or his tactics because he's hypocritical to things he's critical of. Izbo was the exact same way.

Great video of a fellow atheist putting Dawkins in his place. Dawkins actually has a humorous reply.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
XDebatorX
Posts: 59
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 5:10:29 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 4:54:32 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
No, Craig debated Hitchens and Harris in Biola University. Now, Biola University is a Christian Evangelical University, and the problem of the debate for Hitchens/Harris was obvious: 20 minute introduction of arguments - which atheism lacks a lot due to the nature of the position, while Christianity has excess of (I can name a couple dozen from the top of my head, each sounding different but many refuted the same way). Then, there is a 5 minute rebuttal.

Any debate done is different to this: only evangelical debaters use this style.

Also, I would say that if Craig lost the debates, he should be extremely ashamed. Hitchens has a degree in PPE specialising politics, and Harris is a Doctorate scientist, with only a bachelors in philosophy.

On the other hand, Craig has a doctorate in Philosophy and 2 cumma sum laudes, and a ThD, as well as over 30 years debating experience. If he lost, quite frankly, I would not feel a victory for atheists, I would feel ashamed for every single philosopher and debater here.

oh my bad, Biola university. He went through all that education to strengthen his arguments for the existence of God to the point where not even a single of his premises cannot be refuted completely. One of the debators in this website named Contradiction (probably learns from to Craig's works) hasn't lost a single debate using this websites debating style (not evangelical) and he argues using Craig's arguments for God. If the arguments can be refuted so easily why don't you challenge him?
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 5:15:10 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 4:34:48 PM, OberHerr wrote:
At 2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?

Sorry, I have no idea what your actually asking. Clarification?

No one deserves to go to hell. http://www.debate.org...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 5:41:04 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?

Has it ever occured to you that a lot of us know the various reasons for disbelief but don't find them persuasive?
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
OberHerr
Posts: 13,062
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 5:48:19 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 5:41:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?

Has it ever occured to you that a lot of us know the various reasons for disbelief but don't find them persuasive?

This.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 5:58:03 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 5:41:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?

Has it ever occured to you that a lot of us know the various reasons for disbelief but don't find them persuasive?

Would you like to debate that people deserve to go to hell,...or are you too content to plug your ears and pretend this religion makes sense? In the debate I took on the matter, my opponent won on the basis that "God" was the only one that deserved to go to hell, but seeing as you're Christian, I don't think I'll be expecting that rebuttal. So, I'd be more than happy to copy and paste my argument and see how you address it. Sound like a plan?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:00:33 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 5:10:29 PM, XDebatorX wrote:
At 2/12/2012 4:54:32 PM, Stephen_Hawkins wrote:
No, Craig debated Hitchens and Harris in Biola University. Now, Biola University is a Christian Evangelical University, and the problem of the debate for Hitchens/Harris was obvious: 20 minute introduction of arguments - which atheism lacks a lot due to the nature of the position, while Christianity has excess of (I can name a couple dozen from the top of my head, each sounding different but many refuted the same way). Then, there is a 5 minute rebuttal.

Any debate done is different to this: only evangelical debaters use this style.

Also, I would say that if Craig lost the debates, he should be extremely ashamed. Hitchens has a degree in PPE specialising politics, and Harris is a Doctorate scientist, with only a bachelors in philosophy.

On the other hand, Craig has a doctorate in Philosophy and 2 cumma sum laudes, and a ThD, as well as over 30 years debating experience. If he lost, quite frankly, I would not feel a victory for atheists, I would feel ashamed for every single philosopher and debater here.

oh my bad, Biola university. He went through all that education to strengthen his arguments for the existence of God to the point where not even a single of his premises cannot be refuted completely. One of the debators in this website named Contradiction (probably learns from to Craig's works) hasn't lost a single debate using this websites debating style (not evangelical) and he argues using Craig's arguments for God. If the arguments can be refuted so easily why don't you challenge him?

Did you bother reading what I put, or did you just see the word "hitchens" and ignore it?

The point is arguments are, surprisingly, not the standalone mode of determining effectiveness of a position. One's clarity, manner, method, even humour is incredibly important in a debate. One also has restricted time to do a debate as well. I could construct an argument simply affirming Mill's criticism of the Teleological argument in over the 8000 character limit with ease, and still be concise. It is irrelevant when it comes to debating a certain position.

Also, why are you naming champions of your position? If you feel it is obvious that your belief is strongest, then all I can say is come at me bro.

http://i.imgur.com...
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:00:42 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 5:58:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/12/2012 5:41:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?

Has it ever occured to you that a lot of us know the various reasons for disbelief but don't find them persuasive?

Would you like to debate that people deserve to go to hell,...or are you too content to plug your ears and pretend this religion makes sense? In the debate I took on the matter, my opponent won on the basis that "God" was the only one that deserved to go to hell, but seeing as you're Christian, I don't think I'll be expecting that rebuttal. So, I'd be more than happy to copy and paste my argument and see how you address it. Sound like a plan?

lol
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
socialpinko
Posts: 10,458
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:01:14 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 5:01:06 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

Alot of atheists don't like Dawkins or his tactics because he's hypocritical to things he's critical of. Izbo was the exact same way.

This.
: At 9/29/2014 10:55:59 AM, imabench wrote:
: : At 9/29/2014 9:43:46 AM, kbub wrote:
: :
: : DDO should discredit support of sexual violence at any time and in every way.
:
: I disagree.
Stephen_Hawkins
Posts: 5,316
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:14:13 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:00:42 PM, socialpinko wrote:
At 2/12/2012 5:58:03 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/12/2012 5:41:04 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/12/2012 4:33:06 PM, 000ike wrote:
I haven't read anything by this author, though I have my reasons for not being Christian. I don't think I've seen a completely sound negation of p.o.e or what I like to call "The deterministic argument against Hell." Why are you Christian despite these things?

Has it ever occured to you that a lot of us know the various reasons for disbelief but don't find them persuasive?

Would you like to debate that people deserve to go to hell,...or are you too content to plug your ears and pretend this religion makes sense? In the debate I took on the matter, my opponent won on the basis that "God" was the only one that deserved to go to hell, but seeing as you're Christian, I don't think I'll be expecting that rebuttal. So, I'd be more than happy to copy and paste my argument and see how you address it. Sound like a plan?

^this

lol

^this
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:32:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
I'n unsure if ike is being serious or not. Is he really challenging me - of all people on this website - to defend the traditional doctrine of hell? Lol.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:34:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:32:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'n unsure if ike is being serious or not. Is he really challenging me - of all people on this website - to defend the traditional doctrine of hell? Lol.

So is that a yes, or some tactical evasive boasting?...
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
popculturepooka
Posts: 7,924
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:36:59 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:34:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/12/2012 6:32:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'n unsure if ike is being serious or not. Is he really challenging me - of all people on this website - to defend the traditional doctrine of hell? Lol.

So is that a yes, or some tactical evasive boasting?...

Hahaha.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
OMGJustinBieber
Posts: 3,484
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:37:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:34:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/12/2012 6:32:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'n unsure if ike is being serious or not. Is he really challenging me - of all people on this website - to defend the traditional doctrine of hell? Lol.

So is that a yes, or some tactical evasive boasting?...

^Cruising for a bruising.
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:38:06 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:34:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/12/2012 6:32:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'n unsure if ike is being serious or not. Is he really challenging me - of all people on this website - to defend the traditional doctrine of hell? Lol.

So is that a yes, or some tactical evasive boasting?...

pcp believes god will destroy you utterly when you die.

He believes in a "nice" god... well.. if you call that nice I guess.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
mattrodstrom
Posts: 12,028
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:40:11 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:38:06 PM, mattrodstrom wrote:
At 2/12/2012 6:34:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
pcp believes god will destroy you utterly when you die.

well.. After you die... Not death but the afterdeath..

The permanent one.. not like if you got hit by a truck or incinerated. God's going to do something similar.. but to your soul.
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
000ike
Posts: 11,196
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:40:32 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:36:59 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
At 2/12/2012 6:34:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/12/2012 6:32:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'n unsure if ike is being serious or not. Is he really challenging me - of all people on this website - to defend the traditional doctrine of hell? Lol.

So is that a yes, or some tactical evasive boasting?...

Hahaha.

I'm a little scared now, I'll admit, but,...what in God's name could you possibly say that defeats the argument.

I'll ask one more time. Will you accept the debate or laugh some more?
"A stupid despot may constrain his slaves with iron chains; but a true politician binds them even more strongly with the chain of their own ideas" - Michel Foucault
Rusty
Posts: 2,109
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/12/2012 6:40:41 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/12/2012 6:34:49 PM, 000ike wrote:
At 2/12/2012 6:32:30 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
I'n unsure if ike is being serious or not. Is he really challenging me - of all people on this website - to defend the traditional doctrine of hell? Lol.

So is that a yes, or some tactical evasive boasting?...

Oh wow, I think it went past him again. <_<