Jump to topic:

Christianity is NOT a religion

logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 12:15:49 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Christ is fulfilling the promise of God is a belief of many religions, some of which qualify as Christian. To be Christian one must accept that Jesus is God and man and was the Lamb of God. Many wish to claim to be Christian but if they do not believe the above they are not, they may be Jews, but not Christian.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 5:27:43 PM
I think because most consider religions to be more of a practice and believe. Where as the only thing required in Christianity is belief.

This is pretty dope..
: At 10/23/2012 8:06:03 PM, tvellalott wrote:
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 5:36:45 PM
At 2/22/2012 5:27:43 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:
I think because most consider religions to be more of a practice and believe. Where as the only thing required in Christianity is belief.

This is pretty dope..

Since when is that a qualifier? Read the definition of "religion" and Christianity fits perfectly well within that framework. You're just trying to distance yourself from the legalists, but even in the bible it discusses that. That doesn't mean it's not a religion, it's just a portion that THAT religion frowns upon.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 5:57:29 PM
At 2/22/2012 4:25:12 PM, rogue wrote:
What does this a have to do with it not being a religion?

Im sorry, it means it is term of art for many, adopted for effect. Forgot this is ddo
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 5:59:19 PM

Since when is that a qualifier? Read the definition of "religion" and Christianity fits perfectly well within that framework. You're just trying to distance yourself from the legalists, but even in the bible it discusses that. That doesn't mean it's not a religion, it's just a portion that THAT religion frowns upon.

So incorrect. Christianity might classify some religions but is Not A religion by any definition but subjective.
mattrodstrom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 6:02:16 PM
At 2/22/2012 5:59:19 PM, logicrules wrote:
Christianity.... is Not A religion by any definition but subjective.

ok.. so what's Christianity?.. what's a Religion?... and why doesn't christianity fit the bill for a religion?
"He who does not know how to put his will into things at least puts a meaning into them: that is, he believes there is a will in them already."

Metaphysics:
"The science.. which deals with the fundamental errors of mankind - but as if they were the fundamental truths."
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 7:59:53 PM
A boar could also be said to not be a pig.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 9:24:33 PM
At 2/22/2012 12:15:49 PM, logicrules wrote:
The Christ is fulfilling the promise of God is a belief of many religions, some of which qualify as Christian. To be Christian one must accept that Jesus is God and man and was the Lamb of God. Many wish to claim to be Christian but if they do not believe the above they are not, they may be Jews, but not Christian.
I once thought along those lines. I dismissed Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Arians, Unitarian Reformationists and the like as heretics, alien to the Christian faith as Muslims are. Unitarianism being incompatible with Christianity. Then I learned of Michael Servetus and became for forgiving.

Many Christians are Unitarian now, not because they thought about it with much effort, but because of rubbish religious education. Christianity now is virtually a personality cult around somebody called Jesus, simple ideas over the trinity are lost, swamped with the ideas of LOVE, TOLERANCE, ACCEPTANCE, FAITH, and which although are superficially correct leave a bad impression on people. Ideas such as the non-existence of hell, an all forgiving God who's benevolence allows him to be complicit with even the most carnal lifestyles, the 100% irrelevance of the Old Testament's ideas and 'myths' are just some amoungst other 'Christian' ideas which are disturbingly laughable.

Most dictionaries would define Christian as one who adheres to the teachings of Jesus Christ and the traditions associated with the faith. The second point, "traditions", being very vague. Christmas, a pagan tradition, seems to suffice these days.

/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY
I hate that video so much.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:13:02 PM
At 2/22/2012 5:36:45 PM, PARADIGM_L0ST wrote:

This is pretty dope..

Your right, and when this young insperationalist was asked to be more specific, he mentioned legalists and generally the structured churches who practice man made traditions which are not bibilical or have been put to death by Christs life.

BUT according to webster a religion is:
a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

So how do yuh like them apples?
i believe we can lump atheism on in there.
: Don't be. The Catholic Church is ran by Darth Sidius for fvck sake. As far as I'm concerned, you're a bona fide member of the Sith.
JD27076
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:17:45 PM

Jesus Christ brought his religion, to fruition. When he said, It is Finished. His religion has just begun. You can't have Christ without his Church. Can't have a king without his kingdom.

Like he said, he came to fulfill the law and the prophets.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:06:17 PM
At 2/22/2012 9:24:33 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
I once thought along those lines. I dismissed Jehovah Witnesses, Mormons, Arians, Unitarian Reformationists and the like as heretics, alien to the Christian faith as Muslims are. Unitarianism being incompatible with Christianity. Then I learned of Michael Servetus and became for forgiving.

Many Christians are Unitarian now, not because they thought about it with much effort, but because of rubbish religious education. Christianity now is virtually a personality cult around somebody called Jesus, simple ideas over the trinity are lost, swamped with the ideas of LOVE, TOLERANCE, ACCEPTANCE, FAITH, and which although are superficially correct leave a bad impression on people. Ideas such as the non-existence of hell, an all forgiving God who's benevolence allows him to be complicit with even the most carnal lifestyles, the 100% irrelevance of the Old Testament's ideas and 'myths' are just some amoungst other 'Christian' ideas which are disturbingly laughable.

Most dictionaries would define Christian as one who adheres to the teachings of Jesus Christ and the traditions associated with the faith. The second point, "traditions", being very vague. Christmas, a pagan tradition, seems to suffice these days.

/watch?v=1IAhDGYlpqY

That video was awsome.. and completely correct as far as what CHRISTianity actually is.

Exd 20:3
Rev. 3:15 - 16

if you agree or disagree with any of that, your not unitarian.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:10:09 PM
At 2/22/2012 11:06:17 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I'm not Unitarian, I just don't consider it a heresy or sin anymore.

Jesus is the eternal Son of God not the Son of the eternal God.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:13:56 PM
At 2/22/2012 10:17:45 PM, JD27076 wrote:

Jesus Christ brought his religion, to fruition. When he said, It is Finished. His religion has just begun. You can't have Christ without his Church. Can't have a king without his kingdom.

Like he said, he came to fulfill the law and the prophets.

That makes absolutely no sense. When he said it's finished..it was finished. It's
the opposite, you can't have the Church without Christ. Church is a place to worship, to hear to word of God, and to receive his sacraments.

It's not i'll meet you half way, he met us all the way and more.

Christ 'fulfilled' the law and the prophets. What else is there to be done?
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:16:11 PM
At 2/22/2012 11:10:09 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

I see. Well my friend, i have to say, based on the God who's revealed himself in the scriptures, severly disagrees with you.

You missed the entire point of video as well.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:22:38 PM
At 2/22/2012 11:16:11 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

I see. Well my friend, i have to say, based on the God who's revealed himself in the scriptures, severly disagrees with you.
1 John, 1:1-4
1 John, 14

The video is an attack on "religion", what he posses throughout is just one strawman.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
Composer
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:44:38 PM
The earliest beliefs were NOT trinitarian so ANY beliefs since that are trinitarian are in fact Cults = corruptions of those earliest beliefs.
Paradox_7
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 11:57:04 PM
At 2/22/2012 11:22:38 PM, Zetsubou wrote:
At 2/22/2012 11:16:11 PM, Paradox_7 wrote:

1 John, 1:1-4
1 John, 14

The video is an attack on "religion", what he posses throughout is just one strawman.

I can agree he should have clarified a bit, but you can still understand his point, and it's a very good one.

Those are excellent scriptures... what, uh, was your point in posting them though?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:02:10 AM
At 2/22/2012 11:44:38 PM, Composer wrote:
The earliest beliefs were NOT trinitarian so ANY beliefs since that are trinitarian are in fact Cults = corruptions of those earliest beliefs.

Earliest were polytheists. Unless you have some special definition. (even the jews were polytheist at the time of "moses".)
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:04:18 AM

This is pretty dope..

LOL that video is moronic, and most christian religions require more than belief.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:07:24 AM
At 2/22/2012 9:24:33 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Most dictionaries define gay as happy. Many Christians are Greek Orthodox. Traditions are not vague, they are particular though meaning if you are outside the group you may not know , understand, or like their traditions.