Total Posts:14|Showing Posts:1-14
Jump to topic:

Latter-Day Saints is not a cult.

JD27076
Posts: 3
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/22/2012 10:21:39 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
The Mormon religion is not a cult at all.
I am NOT a Mormon, I am a Roman Catholic.
However, Mormonism is not Christian.
Mormonism is far from scripture, however, they try to do much in service to others. No cult would help others of different beliefs like the LDS does.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:12:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 10:21:39 PM, JD27076 wrote:
The Mormon religion is not a cult at all.
I am NOT a Mormon, I am a Roman Catholic.
However, Mormonism is not Christian.
Mormonism is far from scripture, however, they try to do much in service to others. No cult would help others of different beliefs like the LDS does.

It is a cult by definition. It enjoys religious protection in the US only because of the our openness to the odd. LDS is a cult.
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 6:59:48 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
The only difference in a cult and a religion are the number of members, so it just depends on where you want to draw that line.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 7:06:57 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 6:59:48 AM, Floid wrote:
The only difference in a cult and a religion are the number of members, so it just depends on where you want to draw that line.

Incorrect
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 7:15:09 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 7:06:57 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:59:48 AM, Floid wrote:
The only difference in a cult and a religion are the number of members, so it just depends on where you want to draw that line.

Incorrect

At this point, you probably want to offer an alternative theory.
Gileandos
Posts: 2,394
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/23/2012 7:36:48 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 7:15:09 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/23/2012 7:06:57 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:59:48 AM, Floid wrote:
The only difference in a cult and a religion are the number of members, so it just depends on where you want to draw that line.

Incorrect

At this point, you probably want to offer an alternative theory.

lol
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 6:09:27 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/23/2012 7:15:09 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/23/2012 7:06:57 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:59:48 AM, Floid wrote:
The only difference in a cult and a religion are the number of members, so it just depends on where you want to draw that line.

Incorrect

At this point, you probably want to offer an alternative theory.

Not necessary, as you stated ONLY. Number of adherents is actually irrelevant, hence you are just, as is your norm, incorrect. You ae entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.
Rufus
Posts: 39
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 6:12:21 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 10:21:39 PM, JD27076 wrote:
The Mormon religion is not a cult at all.
I am NOT a Mormon, I am a Roman Catholic.
However, Mormonism is not Christian.
Mormonism is far from scripture, however, they try to do much in service to others. No cult would help others of different beliefs like the LDS does.

Woof ruff [My good sir, has your brain been addled? It meets the definition of a cult to a tee. It is also pretty bizarre, even for a human religion]
Theres no such thing as doggy heaven.
Humans are ugly f*ckers
Floid
Posts: 751
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 7:46:09 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Not necessary, as you stated ONLY. Number of adherents is actually irrelevant, hence you are just, as is your norm, incorrect. You ae entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.

From Marriam-Webster.com

Cult-
1: formal religious veneration : worship
2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad

1.) Applies to all religions and cults
2.) Applies to all religions and cults
4.) Not applicable
5.) Not applicable

So 3.) is the definition we are looking for. So what makes a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious? On the whole it is the number of members. If a billion people believe a story that defies natural law and isn't supported by observation it is still taken to be acceptable. If a 100 people believe a story that defies natural law and isn't supported by observation, it is unorthodox or spurious.

For example, if Catholicism had never reached more than say 1,000 members, yet they still all followed a leader who is claimed to speak for God, state what is the be believed, and be inerrant in his statements, they would be considered a cult.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 9:29:01 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/24/2012 7:46:09 AM, Floid wrote:
Not necessary, as you stated ONLY. Number of adherents is actually irrelevant, hence you are just, as is your norm, incorrect. You ae entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.

From Marriam-Webster.com

Cult-
1: formal religious veneration : worship
2: a system of religious beliefs and ritual; also : its body of adherents
3: a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious; also : its body of adherents
4: a system for the cure of disease based on dogma set forth by its promulgator <health cults>
5a : great devotion to a person, idea, object, movement, or work (as a film or book); especially : such devotion regarded as a literary or intellectual fad


1.) Applies to all religions and cults
2.) Applies to all religions and cults
4.) Not applicable
5.) Not applicable

So 3.) is the definition we are looking for. So what makes a religion regarded as unorthodox or spurious? On the whole it is the number of members. If a billion people believe a story that defies natural law and isn't supported by observation it is still taken to be acceptable. If a 100 people believe a story that defies natural law and isn't supported by observation, it is unorthodox or spurious.

For example, if Catholicism had never reached more than say 1,000 members, yet they still all followed a leader who is claimed to speak for God, state what is the be believed, and be inerrant in his statements, they would be considered a cult.

What your point.....term can not be used in a definition. The term Cult i a religious term as well, you confuse meanings. The subject is moot (two definitions of moot pick one and meaning changes)

As to your Catholicism point....it is pure BS, though there are cults of each saint (look it up, hint not webster) Zoroatrianism is a religion (not a cult) and lat I checked had well under 1000 adherents.
Composer
Posts: 5,858
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/24/2012 8:25:18 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/22/2012 10:21:39 PM, JD27076 wrote:
The Mormon religion is not a cult at all.
I am NOT a Mormon, I am a Roman Catholic.
However, Mormonism is not Christian.
Mormonism is far from scripture, however, they try to do much in service to others. No cult would help others of different beliefs like the LDS does.
The earliest & Original believers rejected trinitarianism, hence the catholics Johnny come lately ideology makes it a 100% Cult!
wiploc
Posts: 1,485
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 2:01:32 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/24/2012 6:09:27 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/23/2012 7:15:09 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/23/2012 7:06:57 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:59:48 AM, Floid wrote:
The only difference in a cult and a religion are the number of members, so it just depends on where you want to draw that line.

Incorrect

At this point, you probably want to offer an alternative theory.

Not necessary, as you stated ONLY. Number of adherents is actually irrelevant, hence you are just, as is your norm, incorrect. You ae entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.

I tell you what, I'll just block you and unfavorite this thread. And you can figure out which one of you were trying to insult on your own time.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 6:39:58 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/24/2012 8:25:18 PM, Composer wrote:
At 2/22/2012 10:21:39 PM, JD27076 wrote:
The Mormon religion is not a cult at all.
I am NOT a Mormon, I am a Roman Catholic.
However, Mormonism is not Christian.
Mormonism is far from scripture, however, they try to do much in service to others. No cult would help others of different beliefs like the LDS does.
The earliest & Original believers rejected trinitarianism, hence the catholics Johnny come lately ideology makes it a 100% Cult!

You mean Jews? LOL they were polytheists. The first Christians were trinitarian, it is the sine qua non of being a Christian.
logicrules
Posts: 1,721
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/25/2012 6:41:50 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
At 2/25/2012 2:01:32 AM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/24/2012 6:09:27 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/23/2012 7:15:09 PM, wiploc wrote:
At 2/23/2012 7:06:57 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/23/2012 6:59:48 AM, Floid wrote:
The only difference in a cult and a religion are the number of members, so it just depends on where you want to draw that line.

Incorrect

At this point, you probably want to offer an alternative theory.

Not necessary, as you stated ONLY. Number of adherents is actually irrelevant, hence you are just, as is your norm, incorrect. You ae entitled to your own opinion, not your own facts.

I tell you what, I'll just block you and unfavorite this thread. And you can figure out which one of you were trying to insult on your own time.

Block away, may as well have it concrete and remain ignorant, it suits you.