Jump to topic:

Jesus the Christ

logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 7:32:52 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
I have seen and met a number of people who think that each person gets to define the standards by which one is a Christian. Nothing could be more misguided. ALL Christians, whatever their religion, must believe that Jesus is the Christ. The basics of Jesus the Christ theology were delineated prior to 70 ce., while Christianity was a sect of Judaism. This trinatarian theology was, and is, that without which one may be Jewish, but is not Christian.

There are issues among the various Christian religions regarding by or through, but the fact that Jesus is God and Man is not one of them. The earliest theological distinction dates to Nicaea in about 100 ce when Greek Orthodox preferred proceeds from the father through instead of and as Dogma for the Creed. Thus it is true that any who claim to be Christian and then deny the Christ, are what John would have called false.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 9:05:09 AM
You have to be explicit as to what "deny the Christ" actually means. Being Christian means you claim to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. The question of his divinity, which I believe you're spreading onto, is another debate all together. It is possible to reject the Divinity of Christ and be Christian. The Trinitarian interpretation is simply the most prevailing following the condemnation of Arius after Nicaea and the purge of all non-trinitarian thought for the following millennnium.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:13:35 AM
At 2/26/2012 9:05:09 AM, Zetsubou wrote:
You have to be explicit as to what "deny the Christ" actually means. Being Christian means you claim to follow the teachings of Jesus Christ. The question of his divinity, which I believe you're spreading onto, is another debate all together. It is possible to reject the Divinity of Christ and be Christian. The Trinitarian interpretation is simply the most prevailing following the condemnation of Arius after Nicaea and the purge of all non-trinitarian thought for the following millennnium.

Nope, follow the teachings aint it....misplaced middle slick. Christian is belief in the Trinity. Simple really, your desire to hold differently begs the question.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:22:56 AM

lmao...Following one of the teachings isn't it. You are funny," except for the primary teaching of Jesus, Ill do the rest, thats good enough". Jesus is God, sine qua non.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:24:57 AM
At 2/26/2012 10:22:56 AM, logicrules wrote:

lmao...Following one of the teachings isn't it. You are funny," except for the primary teaching of Jesus, Ill do the rest, thats good enough". Jesus is God, sine qua non.

'Trinity' is a concept that isn't in the Bible. It is a concept that is accepted as an understanding of what the Bible teaches.

To be a Christian, you simply have to believe and follow the teachings of Christ, as found in the NT(even that is up for debate as to what is and isn't inspired).
twocupcakes: 15 = 13
Gileandos
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 10:47:46 AM
If I might pop in here, the Theological and denominational distinctions appear to be the discussion.

Concerning being a Christian:
5 Patriarchs (RCC and Eastern Orthodox) - To be Christian is to adhere to all Church Orthodoxy.

Protestants - To be Christian means to follow Jesus teachings in a personal way. Believe Jesus is God is not necessarily one of them, per say, but most denominations feel that Jesus taught He was God, then it follows you must believe this to be adhering to His teachings.

I have to agree with the 5 Patriarchs that Jesus both taught He was God and that to be a Christian is to be "complete" in all of God's teachings. I would also consider, though not be dogmatic, the 5 Patriarchal churches position that this means accepting the Councils determinations on matters of doctrines as Jesus indeed 'taught' that He was founding the Church.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 12:31:09 PM
At 2/26/2012 10:47:46 AM, Gileandos wrote:
If I might pop in here, the Theological and denominational distinctions appear to be the discussion.

Concerning being a Christian:
5 Patriarchs (RCC and Eastern Orthodox) - To be Christian is to adhere to all Church Orthodoxy.

Protestants - To be Christian means to follow Jesus teachings in a personal way. Believe Jesus is God is not necessarily one of them, per say, but most denominations feel that Jesus taught He was God, then it follows you must believe this to be adhering to His teachings.

I have to agree with the 5 Patriarchs that Jesus both taught He was God and that to be a Christian is to be "complete" in all of God's teachings. I would also consider, though not be dogmatic, the 5 Patriarchal churches position that this means accepting the Councils determinations on matters of doctrines as Jesus indeed 'taught' that He was founding the Church.

Re Protestants you are incorrect. Anglican, Lutheran, Etc. all Hold to the divinity of Jesus. Not until we get to the US and "fundamentalism" of the 20th century do we see this teachings nonsense. However, one of the teachings is Jesus is God.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 12:32:50 PM
At 2/26/2012 10:24:57 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

'Trinity' is a concept that isn't in the Bible. It is a concept that is accepted as an understanding of what the Bible teaches.

To be a Christian, you simply have to believe and follow the teachings of Christ, as found in the NT(even that is up for debate as to what is and isn't inspired).

LOL sure it is, but one has to read. BTW, most of the NT post dates Jesus by almost 100 years.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 12:36:07 PM
At 2/26/2012 12:32:50 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/26/2012 10:24:57 AM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

LOL sure it is, but one has to read. BTW, most of the NT post dates Jesus by almost 100 years.

The only fair way to consider the subject, in my opinion, is to consider anybody who is sincerely trying to follow the teachings of Christ as a Christian. Whenever you claim someone isn't a Christian because you don't agree with them on what scripture means, then you are judging them, and we all know we're not supposed to do that.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 12:50:25 PM
At 2/26/2012 10:13:35 AM, logicrules wrote:

Nope, follow the teachings aint it....misplaced middle slick. Christian is belief in the Trinity. Simple really, your desire to hold differently begs the question.
[citation needed]

Explain Arianism, Jehovah's Witnesses and the Later Day Saints.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
baggins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 12:51:45 PM
At 2/26/2012 12:34:09 PM, logicrules wrote:
Those who do not believe that Jesus is God are the same as jews, nothing wrong with that. They are not Christians.

People who accept Jesus (Peace on him) to be Christ, Prophet and a human being (but not God) are most likely to be Muslims.
The Holy Quran 29:19-20

See they not how Allah originates creation, then repeats it: truly that is easy for Allah.

Say: "Travel through the earth and see how Allah did originate creation; so will Allah produce a later creation: for Allah has power over all things.
Zetsubou
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 12:56:28 PM
Those who do not believe that Jesus is God are the same as jews, nothing wrong with that. They are not Christians.
This is nothing more than an opinion.
'sup DDO -- july 2013
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 1:05:34 PM

Hmmm, I wonder if I could stand another 'Mormons are Christians' debate... if I could, would you be up for it?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 2:36:47 PM
At 2/26/2012 1:05:34 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

Hmmm, I wonder if I could stand another 'Mormons are Christians' debate... if I could, would you be up for it?

I only debate when there is an impartial determiner, this aint the place. Mormons aint Christian they are polythists. More like Druids
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 2:53:57 PM
At 2/26/2012 2:36:47 PM, logicrules wrote:

I only debate when there is an impartial determiner, this aint the place. Mormons aint Christian they are polythists. More like Druids

Polytheism: The belief in or worship of more than one God.

Mormons believe in one God... hmmm...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:22:08 PM
At 2/26/2012 12:50:25 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

[citation needed]

Why, they aint Christian.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:24:02 PM
At 2/26/2012 12:56:28 PM, Zetsubou wrote:

Nope, actually it is fact. See, jews hold that Jesus is not God, ergo same, similar, like. Another member of the coming idiocracy.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:24:37 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:22:08 PM, logicrules wrote:

[citation needed]

Yes, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, who believe the Bible, OT and NT, couldn't possibly be Christians.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:25:21 PM
At 2/26/2012 2:53:57 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

No, Mormons believe in many gods, who one day will each have their own planet to populate.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:26:00 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:24:02 PM, logicrules wrote:

Nope, actually it is fact. See, jews hold that Jesus is not God, ergo same, similar, like. Another member of the coming idiocracy.

Hahahahahahahahaha Really?

Well logic, you are the same as me, because you are human. Obviously, we can tell if 2 things are the same by looking at 1 characteristic.
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:27:57 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:25:21 PM, logicrules wrote:

No, Mormons believe in many gods, who one day will each have their own planet to populate.

No, Mormons believe in and worship one God. They believe that men can become like God, and that idea is supported by the bible. But, becoming like your father doesn't change the fact that he's your father.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:28:07 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:24:37 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

[citation needed]

Yes, members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, who believe the Bible, OT and NT, couldn't possibly be Christians.

LOL FYI, NT and OT are the bible. and mormons don't "believe it" they use it but their beliefs are in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and covenants. Also, any prophet can order them. But hey, why let a cults own documents provide the infrmation, just make it up. Favorite Bible quote...there is no god...
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:31:56 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:26:00 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:
At 2/26/2012 3:24:02 PM, logicrules wrote:

Hahahahahahahahaha Really?

Well logic, you are the same as me, because you are human. Obviously, we can tell if 2 things are the same by looking at 1 characteristic.

Sure, that is the essence of similar....are you looking for the word exact? or twin? English isnt that difficult. and yes we are both Human similar in all things. Theological constructs absent a difference and having only distinctions are logically the same. we are also mammals, like whales.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:33:23 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:27:57 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

No, Mormons believe in and worship one God. They believe that men can become like God, and that idea is supported by the bible. But, becoming like your father doesn't change the fact that he's your father.

I'm Sorry...Do you have a degree in religious Studies? Are you an LDS member?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:41:49 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:28:07 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/26/2012 3:24:37 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

[citation needed]

LOL FYI, NT and OT are the bible.

Really? Have you ever heard of the Hebrew Bible? You laugh because I thought to clarify, and then you make a false statement. Nice.

and mormons don't "believe it" they use it

That's a bold claim. They say they believe it. They publish in their official works they believe it. You are calling all LDS liars?

but their beliefs are in the Book of Mormon and Doctrine and covenants.

Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and the Bible.

You know, when Jesus came, there were people who ridiculed because He didn't seem to be following their understanding of the Bible. I'm just saying.

Also, any prophet can order them.

1 - What do you mean by 'any' prophet.
2 - What do you mean by 'order' them?

The LDS prophets discourage(d) blind following.

But hey, why let a cults own documents provide the infrmation, just make it up. Favorite Bible quote...there is no god...

None of the LDS documentation says they aren't Christian or that they don't believe the Bible. It says the exact opposite.

There is no god?
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:44:59 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:33:23 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/26/2012 3:27:57 PM, JaxsonRaine wrote:

I am more familiar with LDS theology than most LDS members and almost all non-LDS individuals.

I don't have to have a degree to have knowledge.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 3:46:51 PM

I am more familiar with LDS theology than most LDS members and almost all non-LDS individuals.

So the answer to both questions was NO. I see, well you don't know a much as ya think you know. In fact, based on what you've written here you know very little about religion.
PARADIGM_L0ST
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:48:37 PM
'Trinity' is a concept that isn't in the Bible. It is a concept that is accepted as an understanding of what the Bible teaches.:

Well, that's debatable... There are plenty of biblical references that support the Trinitarian doctrine, but I don't believe that is a requirement to being a Christian.

To be a Christian, you simply have to believe and follow the teachings of Christ, as found in the NT(even that is up for debate as to what is and isn't inspired).:

Basically, yes.
"Have you ever considered suicide? If not, please do." -- Mouthwash (to Inferno)
JaxsonRaine
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/26/2012 4:49:19 PM
At 2/26/2012 3:46:51 PM, logicrules wrote:

So the answer to both questions was NO. I see, well you don't know a much as ya think you know. In fact, based on what you've written here you know very little about religion.

Yes, I know you are very good at saying 'you're wrong' without actually providing arguments with sources. Everything you post in the religion forum is unfounded, just like your post about the LDS ad.