Jump to topic:

God is good?

tvellalott
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 5:35:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Simple question (not one of my usually multi-paragraphed rants)...

Why do you believe God is good?
"Caitlyn Jenner is an incredibly brave and stunningly beautiful woman."

Muh threads
Using mafia tactics in real-life: http://www.debate.org...
6 years of DDO: http://www.debate.org...
Illegalcombatant
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 5:49:15 AM
At 2/28/2012 5:35:17 AM, tvellalott wrote:

Cause even though he is all powerful, he allows the child rapist to rape the child in order not to infringe on the rapists will. Now sure the child also has a will, the will not to be raped but God decides rapists will over child's will.

And if that doesn't prove that God is good, well then, I don't know what does.

Yep I went there.
"Seems like another attempt to insert God into areas our knowledge has yet to penetrate. You figure God would be bigger than the gaps of our ignorance." Drafterman 19/5/12
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 6:39:36 AM

Because He is. Why do you believe apples are fruit?
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 7:22:35 AM
At 2/28/2012 6:39:36 AM, logicrules wrote:

Apples are fruit because we made an arbitrary classification called "fruit" and decided to put apples in that constructed group.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 7:24:12 AM
At 2/28/2012 7:22:35 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

Apples are fruit because we made an arbitrary classification called "fruit" and decided to put apples in that constructed group.

LOL i never said called, the nomenclature is irrelevant to its substantive reality.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 7:35:14 AM
At 2/28/2012 7:24:12 AM, logicrules wrote:

LOL i never said called, the nomenclature is irrelevant to its substantive reality.

The "fact" that apples are fruit is not reality; apples continue to serve their function regardless of the fact that they know nothing of our arbitrary classification. The fact of the matter is that "fruit" is a construct that was created to describe a set of edible plant parts. It is not a real classification?

Why is this important? It highlights the fact that you are only classifying God as good because you want to. Your classification is arbitrary and meaningless.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:06:42 AM
At 2/28/2012 7:35:14 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

The "fact" that apples are fruit is not reality; apples continue to serve their function regardless of the fact that they know nothing of our arbitrary classification. The fact of the matter is that "fruit" is a construct that was created to describe a set of edible plant parts. It is not a real classification?

Why is this important? It highlights the fact that you are only classifying God as good because you want to. Your classification is arbitrary and meaningless.

LOL wow, It is true that what we do not know is often a problem. An apple is. What it is is known by most. We choose to name it, classify it and in some cases eat it. We can reclassify, rename and even stop eating them. The apple will remain. Thus, it maintains its nature and never acts against it nature. So too with God. Only humans have the ability to do malicious acts.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:19:33 AM
At 2/28/2012 8:06:42 AM, logicrules wrote:

LOL wow, It is true that what we do not know is often a problem. An apple is. What it is is known by most. We choose to name it, classify it and in some cases eat it. We can reclassify, rename and even stop eating them. The apple will remain. Thus, it maintains its nature and never acts against it nature. So too with God. Only humans have the ability to do malicious acts.

This is false. We consider rape and murder to be immoral, and yet God allows for both.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:24:55 AM
At 2/28/2012 8:19:33 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

This is false. We consider rape and murder to be immoral, and yet God allows for both.

LOL you do not get to make things up just so you feel better. Murder and Rape have been immoral, a sin, illegal as far back as 1000 BCE. Now, if by allow you mean permits us to sin, I agree, if you mean causes it, naw thats just pure human selfishmess, the root of all evil.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:32:46 AM
At 2/28/2012 8:24:55 AM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/28/2012 8:19:33 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

LOL you do not get to make things up just so you feel better. Murder and Rape have been immoral, a sin, illegal as far back as 1000 BCE. Now, if by allow you mean permits us to sin, I agree, if you mean causes it, naw thats just pure human selfishmess, the root of all evil.

Deuteronomy and Exodus openly endorse slavery and rape.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:43:34 AM

Oh, so now you want to discuss human misunderstanding of God's will. It also says in psalms, there is no God. Go figure. I am not one of those who thinks the Bible is an historical record of fact. nice try though.
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:01:07 PM

Because the definition of "apple" fits into the category of "fruit". How do you define "God" and "good"? Because I believe "good" is more than merely not instigating evil acts (as merely that would be more like apathetic), but also a desire and willingness to prevent other evil acts when possible.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:10:16 PM
At 2/28/2012 8:43:34 AM, logicrules wrote:

Oh, so now you want to discuss human misunderstanding of God's will. It also says in psalms, there is no God. Go figure. I am not one of those who thinks the Bible is an historical record of fact. nice try though.

100% agree. It really pisses me off how atheists and agnostics almost always assume Christians are inerrantists.
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:17:38 PM
God is just one "o" away from being good, actually.

I think that arguing from the moral stance is pretty dumb for an atheist to do. It's blatantly manipulative.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:19:32 PM
At 2/28/2012 1:01:07 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:

Because the definition of "apple" fits into the category of "fruit". How do you define "God" and "good"? Because I believe "good" is more than merely not instigating evil acts (as merely that would be more like apathetic), but also a desire and willingness to prevent other evil acts when possible.

Well then, Hope your definition are right, or perhaps correct is all you seek. Our substance predates the definition and is never fully explained,but always fully known.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:20:11 PM

This is not a misunderstanding. After reading about these vile acts, I went and purchased a copy of the Bible and investigated for myself. God set down laws that made slavery and rape permissible. Those laws were outlined in Deuteronomy and Exodus.
CosmicAlfonzo
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:25:45 PM
Alot of these misunderstandings stem from the fact that many words are liberally translated into "god" when they actually refer to different things.
Official "High Priest of Secular Affairs and Transient Distributor of Sonic Apple Seeds relating to the Reptilian Division of Paperwork Immoliation" of The FREEDO Bureaucracy, a DDO branch of the Erisian Front, a subdivision of the Discordian Back, a Limb of the Illuminatian Cosmic Utensil Corp
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:31:09 PM
At 2/28/2012 1:20:11 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

This is not a misunderstanding. After reading about these vile acts, I went and purchased a copy of the Bible and investigated for myself. God set down laws that made slavery and rape permissible. Those laws were outlined in Deuteronomy and Exodus.

Lets see.....WHAN that Aprille with his schowres swoote. That is English from the 1300's. The bible is 1000 years befor that and in Hebrew and Greek. I don't think reading it works to well, especially if you struggle with English of just 700 years ago.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:34:11 PM

Did you get a Hebrew bible? Do you know Hebrew? Did you study every word and conclude what it meant? Did you go back in time and check who the author was? How about that? Did you verify the author was a Christian? Did you verify the authors words haven't over the past 100's of years been misconstrued, misrepresented or misinterpreted?
"Music is a zen-like ecstatic state where you become the new man of the future, the Nietzschean merger of Apollo and Dionysus." Ray Manzarek (The Doors)
DakotaKrafick
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:51:01 PM
At 2/28/2012 1:34:11 PM, phantom wrote:
Did you get a Hebrew bible? Do you know Hebrew? Did you study every word and conclude what it meant? Did you go back in time and check who the author was? How about that? Did you verify the author was a Christian? Did you verify the authors words haven't over the past 100's of years been misconstrued, misrepresented or misinterpreted?

...did you do all these things?

(also, of course the authors of deuteronomy and exodus weren't Christian, was that a serious question?)
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 1:56:05 PM

I doubt you did any of these yourself. Modern day Christianity in the U.S. uses English Bibles that were translated by Bible scholars who want to portray the Bible in a positive light. If anything, the atrocities that I found in the English version that I used are dampened in order to make it more acceptable to the masses. The authors of Deuteronomy and Exodus were Jewish, by the way.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:00:31 PM
At 2/28/2012 1:56:05 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

I doubt you did any of these yourself. Modern day Christianity in the U.S. uses English Bibles that were translated by Bible scholars who want to portray the Bible in a positive light. If anything, the atrocities that I found in the English version that I used are dampened in order to make it more acceptable to the masses. The authors of Deuteronomy and Exodus were Jewish, by the way.

Christianity is not a religion. Pick a construct , study a little history, acknowledge your baggage, then take a scripture class at the local Jewish university. In the alternative, try aking a New Testament class or reading something other than DDO. The OT is three schools, all written a long time ago and redacted. Most of it is based on stories heard and sermons. IE no moses as in bible, no ark, and angels come from zoroastrianism. Bet ya didnt read that in thebible you found huh?
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:07:42 PM
At 2/28/2012 2:00:31 PM, logicrules wrote:

Christianity is not a religion. Pick a construct , study a little history, acknowledge your baggage, then take a scripture class at the local Jewish university. In the alternative, try aking a New Testament class or reading something other than DDO. The OT is three schools, all written a long time ago and redacted. Most of it is based on stories heard and sermons. IE no moses as in bible, no ark, and angels come from zoroastrianism. Bet ya didnt read that in thebible you found huh?

I apologize but I may be misunderstanding you here. Are you saying that Moses, the ark, angels are forms of Zoroastinienism that seeped its way into the Bible we have today? I am just trying to clarify.
phantom
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:09:11 PM

I doubt you did any of these yourself.

Why would I? This isn't relevant. I base the validity of those statements on the principles of my beliefs. I don't need to verify whether I should believe them or not, because I know that I should look at it from a view that those statements could clearly be wrong. You on the other hand base your judgements from what the Bible say as if they are facts. As if every Christian should believe God did all those acts. I thought your post did not answer logicrules post.

You make your claims based on the fact that you read it in the Bible. This I thought was silly.

Modern day Christianity in the U.S. uses English Bibles that were translated by Bible scholars who want to portray the Bible in a positive light.

You don't include what translations you are talking about. And I don't see how it's relevant.

If anything, the atrocities that I found in the English version that I used are dampened in order to make it more acceptable to the masses. The authors of Deuteronomy and Exodus were Jewish, by the way.

You don't even answer my post. Hundreds of years have gone by since it was first written. You make the claim that "God set down laws that made slavery and rape permissible", as if Christians have to believe that. Your reasoning is that you saw it in the Bible. I don't have to believe that because the Bible obviously is not inerrant.
MyVoiceInYourHead
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:15:39 PM

I don't. But then again I'm not convinced by God's existence full stop. But Xians tend to define it that way even though the Bible contains some horrendous morals.

Bottom line is, not whether God should be good or not by our standards, but whether any of the various claims are true and accurate.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:17:02 PM
At 2/28/2012 2:07:42 PM, joneszj wrote:

I apologize but I may be misunderstanding you here. Are you saying that Moses, the ark, angels are forms of Zoroastinienism that seeped its way into the Bible we have today? I am just trying to clarify.

Nope, angels are from zoroastrianism and the Persian captivity. Noah and Moses are stories, nice ones but stories. So yes, lots of religions were adopted in part by the Israelites. (see commandments) Happens in the NT too, some think that John is the cynics, go figure.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:30:01 PM

Christianity is not a religion.
Oh, really? I will be promoting this stance from now on because that gives the government the right to regulate it and eliminate it. Excellent.
Pick a construct , study a little history, acknowledge your baggage, then take a scripture class at the local Jewish university. In the alternative, try aking a New Testament class or reading something other than DDO. The OT is three schools, all written a long time ago and redacted.
Actually, you are talking about Genesis, not the whole OT as a whole. Unlike you, I actually did my homework.
Most of it is based on stories heard and sermons. IE no moses as in bible, no ark, and angels come from zoroastrianism. Bet ya didnt read that in thebible you found huh?
So, what parts of the Bible are true? The Gospels are influenced by Jewish prophecy, which you just admitted was corrupted, and Gnostic faiths, which did not start out as Christian faiths. If Christianity does not exist at all, then what is the Bible?
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:31:06 PM
At 2/28/2012 2:17:02 PM, logicrules wrote:
At 2/28/2012 2:07:42 PM, joneszj wrote:

Nope, angels are from zoroastrianism and the Persian captivity. Noah and Moses are stories, nice ones but stories. So yes, lots of religions were adopted in part by the Israelites. (see commandments) Happens in the NT too, some think that John is the cynics, go figure.

And your Catholic....(not trying to be sarcastic)?
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 2:31:56 PM
At 2/28/2012 2:24:52 PM, DakotaKrafick wrote:
Christianity is not a religion.

Most ignorant statement on DDO. Congratulations.

It isnt, it is a genus of many different religions. Only fools think otherwise.