Jump to topic:

Atheism Is An Opinion *

inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 9:45:17 AM
Posted: 4 years ago
Bill Maher is now claiming that he is an Apatheist, which is virtually taking a position of so called reason while being a person who does not believe in a god.
Does this mean that Atheism is a religion ? To him it probably is. And that is because he thinks that religion or faith I should say, is just an opinion just like Atheism itself.
Now that is funny to me, because why would we take an opinion so seriously or feel a sense of conviction in what we believe as Christians.
You can quote all of the secular garbage you want, but on the other side, there is a LOT or reasons why we strongly believe in God. More on this later. What do you think.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 9:50:32 AM
At 2/28/2012 9:45:17 AM, inferno wrote:
Bill Maher is now claiming that he is an Apatheist, which is virtually taking a position of so called reason while being a person who does not believe in a god.
Does this mean that Atheism is a religion ? To him it probably is. And that is because he thinks that religion or faith I should say, is just an opinion just like Atheism itself.
Now that is funny to me, because why would we take an opinion so seriously or feel a sense of conviction in what we believe as Christians.
You can quote all of the secular garbage you want, but on the other side, there is a LOT or reasons why we strongly believe in God. More on this later. What do you think.

Inferno, what is the reason that you believe in God?

I do not want to hear about fictional angels and demons. I do not want to hear about how I am blowing hot air. I do not want to hear anything about the Bible saying it, because that is just circular logic (I believe in God because the Bible says God exists and the Bible is correct because God says so.)

Most of all, I do not want to hear "NEXT!"

So, what is the reason?
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 9:53:32 AM
At 2/28/2012 9:50:32 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

I do not want to hear about fictional angels and demons. I do not want to hear about how I am blowing hot air. I do not want to hear anything about the Bible saying it, because that is just circular logic (I believe in God because the Bible says God exists and the Bible is correct because God says so.)

So, what is the reason?

Eventually all reasoning is circular (circular, infinite regression, and axiomatic).
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 10:06:47 AM

So, what is the reason?

Prophecy is one major reason. These events that were talked about, are coming to fruition. Just read and maybe you will learn something for once in your sorry life.
See link below.

http://www.tribulation.com...
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 10:08:01 AM
At 2/28/2012 9:53:32 AM, joneszj wrote:

So, what is the reason?

Eventually all reasoning is circular (circular, infinite regression, and axiomatic).

I know you Atheists dont like facts. You ignore them whenever I make the case to you. It just goes to show you how cowardly this minute demographic of delusionists are. But you know what they say about a fools mind. I do not need to say more.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 10:24:02 AM

Can you please expound?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 10:25:17 AM
At 2/28/2012 10:24:02 AM, nonentity wrote:

Can you please expound?

Nice picture there Nonentity.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 10:34:13 AM
At 2/28/2012 10:28:06 AM, nonentity wrote:
At 2/28/2012 10:25:17 AM, inferno wrote:

Nice picture there Nonentity.

Why, thank you :)

Now go away. Just kidding. =)
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 10:37:56 AM

Can you please expound?

At a certain point of regression when justifying a belief, no matter the belief, we eventually get to a point where we declare it as axiomatic; which is to a certain extent saying "just because".

On a probabilistic level, however, this does not make beliefs necessarily less justified.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 10:50:46 AM
At 2/28/2012 10:06:47 AM, inferno wrote:

So, what is the reason?

Prophecy is one major reason. These events that were talked about, are coming to fruition. Just read and maybe you will learn something for once in your sorry life.
See link below.

That is nothing but tenuous extrapoltation of Biblical prophecy to modern events. You do realize that even Greek prophecies have come true? If we are looking towards prophecy, why is worshipping Apollo less rational than revering God?
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:06:34 AM
At 2/28/2012 10:50:46 AM, royalpaladin wrote:

So, what is the reason?

See link below.

That is nothing but tenuous extrapoltation of Biblical prophecy to modern events. You do realize that even Greek prophecies have come true? If we are looking towards prophecy, why is worshipping Apollo less rational than revering God?

Greek prophecies also has somewhat to do with the Bible. These so called Greek gods were actually demons and idols that were worshipped by Europeans.
So some of that was real in case you have not noticed. They were referred to as Nephilum. Read Genesis chapter 5 if you will. So again, it all goes back to what is written in the Word. AND yes, these prophecies are true and there are more to come. This is not a coincidence.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:07:57 AM

So, what is the reason?

See link below.

Apollo is an idol. It was created to deceive the minds through false religious doctrine and secualrism. This is a fact as it was started by the demons, or fallen angels of the world who are also here today.
Stephen_Hawkins
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:24:14 AM
At 2/28/2012 11:07:57 AM, inferno wrote:

So, what is the reason?

See link below.

Yehovah is an idol. It was created to deceive the minds through false religious doctrine and Christianity. This is a fact as it was started by the Big Bang of the world who are also here today.

Fix'd. Notice how no logic changed?
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. Teach him how to be Gay, he'll positively influence the GDP.

Social Contract Theory debate: http://www.debate.org...
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:29:45 AM

Can you please expound?

To Inferno: I'm not an atheist.

To Nonentity: I like what Thaddeus said. There is a point of regression where things are observed to simply be self-evident (axiomatic). But any attempt to prove these axioms is impossible without first assuming them. This does not mean the conclusions are not 'reasonable' but ultimately they are unjustifiable. I think this is really where presuppositional apologetics takes root but I am not too versed on that topic. Eventually, in order to make sense of reality we all assume certain things to be true. We cannot prove them to be true but instead when attempting to prove them the most we can do is say it is 'self evident'. Next we could ask 'Why is it self evident?' and we can only answer that by saying 'because it is!' lolz. Many people 'get it' other people think I'm just crazy. w/e have fun with it.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:44:04 AM
At 2/28/2012 11:29:45 AM, joneszj wrote:

Can you please expound?

To Nonentity: I like what Thaddeus said. There is a point of regression where things are observed to simply be self-evident (axiomatic). But any attempt to prove these axioms is impossible without first assuming them. This does not mean the conclusions are not 'reasonable' but ultimately they are unjustifiable. I think this is really where presuppositional apologetics takes root but I am not too versed on that topic. Eventually, in order to make sense of reality we all assume certain things to be true. We cannot prove them to be true but instead when attempting to prove them the most we can do is say it is 'self evident'. Next we could ask 'Why is it self evident?' and we can only answer that by saying 'because it is!' lolz. Many people 'get it' other people think I'm just crazy. w/e have fun with it.

That's interesting. I don't have a response to that, actually. I don't believe the definition of God or belief in god is a priori, but I'm sure you would disagree, and we would be at an impasse lol
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:44:51 AM
At 2/28/2012 11:44:04 AM, nonentity wrote:

Can you please expound?

That's interesting. I don't have a response to that, actually. I don't believe the definition of God or belief in God is a priori, but I'm sure you would disagree, and we would be at an impasse lol

Fixed.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:54:31 AM

Can you please expound?

That's interesting. I don't have a response to that, actually. I don't believe the definition of God or belief in god is a priori, but I'm sure you would disagree, and we would be at an impasse lol

The definition of God? You belief belief in god is posteriori? I actually completely believe belief in God is posteriori. If I am using the term correctly ;/ I don't think it is possible for anyone to beleive in God (at least the God of the Bible) with our some form of experience (regeneration). Idk if I am making sense but w/e lolz. I think there is evidence for God a priori but that knowledge alone would not produce faith in God.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:56:42 AM
At 2/28/2012 11:54:31 AM, joneszj wrote:

Can you please expound?

The definition of God? You belief belief in god is posteriori? I actually completely believe belief in God is posteriori. If I am using the term correctly ;/ I don't think it is possible for anyone to beleive in God (at least the God of the Bible) with our some form of experience (regeneration). Idk if I am making sense but w/e lolz. I think there is evidence for God a priori but that knowledge alone would not produce faith in God.

bummer haha I left the 'g' in God lower case because you did. From your statements alone one can't conclussively determine you being an atheist (which I thought your profile at one time said so), are you?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:59:36 AM
At 2/28/2012 11:54:31 AM, joneszj wrote:

Don't worry, you're making sense. But yes, I believe both the definition of God and the belief in God is a posteriori, and this is what makes it a circular argument. I tried to think of an example of something that is not a circular argument, and I can't. The only thing I can think of is that some definitions are a priori, and that's what makes them self-evident.
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 12:01:35 PM
At 2/28/2012 11:56:42 AM, joneszj wrote:

bummer haha I left the 'g' in God lower case because you did. From your statements alone one can't conclussively determine you being an atheist (which I thought your profile at one time said so), are you?

Ohh haha I didn't even notice that was what you were referring to. Yeah, I type really fast so that was a typo on my part. Sorry.

I am an atheist, though I'm really wishy-washy about it. I know most people say that, in that case, I should be agnostic. But I do label myself an atheist.
inferno
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 12:05:14 PM
At 2/28/2012 12:01:35 PM, nonentity wrote:

Ohh haha I didn't even notice that was what you were referring to. Yeah, I type really fast so that was a typo on my part. Sorry.

I am an atheist, though I'm really wishy-washy about it. I know most people say that, in that case, I should be agnostic. But I do label myself an atheist.

Well Atheist or not.............The facts remain. I am gonna leave some Bible verses that prove the Biblical Prophecies about the Jews and the creation of flight.
I do not have them with me at this present time, but it is quite interesting
my African flower.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 12:20:20 PM
At 2/28/2012 12:01:35 PM, nonentity wrote:

So....... Are you Korean?
nonentity
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 12:26:02 PM
At 2/28/2012 12:20:20 PM, joneszj wrote:

So....... Are you Korean?

lol I've had a few PM's asking me questions about North Korea :p
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:46:04 PM
At 2/28/2012 10:08:01 AM, inferno wrote:

So, what is the reason?

I know you Atheists dont like facts. You ignore them whenever I make the case to you. It just goes to show you how cowardly this minute demographic of delusionists are. But you know what they say about a fools mind. I do not need to say more.

The Fool: what about a Fool's mind. Athiest is a non-believe in a supernatural god. Nothing else follows from that. He is right to define it like that, because people twist the definition Athiest to mean something else. But people can't be wrong about whether they believe or not. They could only be wrong about if the thing they believe in is true. Believe is just an expectation. That is, the feeling of inclination that p is true. I don't have that inclination. And there is no way we can be wrong about own subjective feeling. Its not claim that could be wrong. Unless I was lying, but that would mean I believe in P. So what motive would it have to lie. I think Maher is doing is smart, and I might adopt it.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:49:13 PM

I think you are a delusional bigot. Atheism and theism are not opinions, they are beliefs. Psychology has proved that no matter how strongly someone believes something, that doesn't make it true. When are your going to stop spouting ignorant garbage?!
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 8:50:20 PM
At 2/28/2012 10:08:01 AM, inferno wrote:

So, what is the reason?

O are you serious? We constantly cite facts to you and then you just say "its secular garbage!" You seriously make me want to kill you.
royalpaladin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 9:04:17 PM
At 2/28/2012 10:37:56 AM, Thaddeus wrote:

Can you please expound?

At a certain point of regression when justifying a belief, no matter the belief, we eventually get to a point where we declare it as axiomatic; which is to a certain extent saying "just because".

Those are axioms (basically definitions), no? This is not the case I am asking about. It cannot be an axiom that God exists.
On a probabilistic level, however, this does not make beliefs necessarily less justified.
Yes, because the probability is almost 0.
Thaddeus
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:16:25 AM
At 2/28/2012 9:04:17 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Can you please expound?

Those are axioms (basically definitions), no? This is not the case I am asking about. It cannot be an axiom that God exists.

I wasn't talking about god, but rather all forms of knowledge claims. And no, it isn't limited to definitions. Empirical observations of the world are regressively based on unsupported axioms.
I believe that god probably doesn't exist (but he is definitely an arsehole), but saying that the probability is near zero is hyperbole.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:33:47 AM
At 2/28/2012 9:04:17 PM, royalpaladin wrote:

Can you please expound?

Yes, that is exactly the point i was making. Axioms are things or concepts that are 'self evident'. I was not trying to God is an axiom though. I was just trying to demonstrate that we are revert to a form of circular reasoning ultimately.

However, pure speculation, it seems to me that an axiom by nature is a postiori. If this is the case then the existence of God is axiomatic to some not not to others.