Jump to topic:

Anyone ever read...

JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 6:25:19 AM
Posted: 7 years ago
The Guardian King novels by Karen Hancock? She's supposedly a Christian fictionalist, but I found her writing to trend more towards fantasy than Christian fiction.

In any event, if you've read them, thoughts on her version of God??

For those who haven't read it, in her series, God (Eioden) has a close and personal relationship with his followers - to the point of actually speaking aloud to them. When people are "baptized," a little golden shield appears on their chests, and devout followers are able to channel the power of Eioden to create light, shields, and even infuse weapons with it. And Eioden doesn't really pretend to be all-good or the only God around, just the right one.

Thoughts?
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 11:17:35 AM
I've been making it a habit to mark all of these tumbleweed videos as spam. This is what happens when witless imbeciles cling onto bad jokes that no one else thinks is funny.
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 11:31:16 AM
To add to the discussion, I've always preferred the Fantasy-type descriptions of Gods. Patron gods that interact with followers and who have an active role in their lives. The Christan representation of God is too vague for anyone to have in their lives. A pantheon of Gods that favor attributes or statistics or class sounds more fun ;)

Which god should I worship for dexterity bonuses XD?

It's easier to worship a God when you have a clear understanding of what it is that you are worshiping.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
brittwaller
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 11:45:04 AM
At 6/22/2009 6:25:19 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
The Guardian King novels by Karen Hancock? She's supposedly a Christian fictionalist, but I found her writing to trend more towards fantasy than Christian fiction.

In any event, if you've read them, thoughts on her version of God??

For those who haven't read it, in her series, God (Eioden) has a close and personal relationship with his followers - to the point of actually speaking aloud to them. When people are "baptized," a little golden shield appears on their chests, and devout followers are able to channel the power of Eioden to create light, shields, and even infuse weapons with it. And Eioden doesn't really pretend to be all-good or the only God around, just the right one.

Thoughts?

Although I have not read her, it does sound interesting. I've always been a fan of fantasy - LOTR (before the movies of course), The Wheel of Time, and a few others. From your sysnopsis I would say that it sounds close to what might be a kind of Christian fiction - I mean, isn't Christian literature (beginning with the Bible) already fiction? But based on some themes in the Bible (especially OT) it doesn't sound too far off. The Patriarchs and some of the OT prophets could speak directly to god, they had weapons infused with its power (the Ark of the Covenant), and the god of the OT often spoke of itself in terms of being not the only god, simply the right one. That's made clear in Exodus. The ten commandments specify "Thou shalt have no other god before me," implying the existence of other gods. Without delving into the fact that Yahweh was a tribal god, and that other gods (the ones from differing tribes/cultures) were not only thought to exist but known to exist by the Hebrews, it makes sense to make good on that lost theme.
I might check them out in my spare time JCTM. How is her writing, though? Who might you compare her with in just style? (I know that's off-topic, but I'm curious.)

Britt
Don't I take care of them all?
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 11:50:07 AM
Her writing style is kind of like Sharon Shinn's if you've ever read the Thirteen Houses quadrilogy - a little on the simplistic side, but makes for a really good read. The first book is a little hard to get through, but near the end, it really picks up. The other three books are much better than the first.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 12:29:49 PM
At 6/22/2009 11:31:16 AM, Kleptin wrote:
It's easier to worship a God when you have a clear understanding of what it is that you are worshiping.

And that's why I worship Manny Ramirez. Hey, at least my personal deity is tangible....
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 1:40:53 PM
That's it guys.. stick close together.. safety in numbers eh?

John 8:32 (New King James Version)
32 And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free."
The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 7:32:38 PM
At 6/22/2009 11:50:07 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:
Her writing style is kind of like Sharon Shinn's if you've ever read the Thirteen Houses quadrilogy - a little on the simplistic side, but makes for a really good read. The first book is a little hard to get through, but near the end, it really picks up. The other three books are much better than the first.

I like fantasy stories that drop you off to fend for yourself. 100+ pages of introducing a new world is far more lame than 100+ pages of letting you self-explore.

I think that's what first turned me off about Harry Potter, I don't like the idea of being spoonfed a new universe >:P I'd give her a read if her books aren't like that.

JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 9:53:04 PM
I wouldn't say it's self-exploratory... the best way to describe how she sets up the storyline is that she introduces new elements first and explains them a little later, which is kind of lame for the very first part of the book, because it all seems too convenient (even though the first book sux for the protagonist...).

By the middle-ish of the first book, the main character is enveloped in a fairly brutal world of captivity - it represents fairly well a fall from faith and then the rediscovery of a "true" faith...

Although in some fashion, the entire series is a play on the whole deposed ruled motif, but then again, most fantasy stories are - lol
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 9:53:32 PM
At 6/22/2009 12:29:49 PM, patsox834 wrote:
At 6/22/2009 11:31:16 AM, Kleptin wrote:

And that's why I worship Manny Ramirez. Hey, at least my personal deity is tangible....

1 Corinthians 12:2
You know that you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led.
The Cross.. the Cross.
wjmelements
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 7:58:23 AM
At 6/22/2009 11:17:35 AM, Kleptin wrote:
I've been making it a habit to mark all of these tumbleweed videos as spam. This is what happens when witless imbeciles cling onto bad jokes that no one else thinks is funny.

He has overused it, but the first time, it was hilarious.
in the blink of an eye you finally see the light
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/27/2009 1:35:18 PM
At 6/27/2009 7:58:23 AM, wjmelements wrote:
At 6/22/2009 11:17:35 AM, Kleptin wrote:

He has overused it, but the first time, it was hilarious.

Funny's one thing.. poignant another.

Matthew16:15"But Who do you say that I Am?"
The Cross.. the Cross.
sherlockmethod
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 7:14:01 AM
I used to read fantasy genre books all the time, but started finding too much of the same thing. I loved Wheel of Time and Lord of the Rings, though. If the book is more along those lines than something like the Goodkind,'s SoT novels, I will pick it up.
Library cards: Stopping stupid one book at a time.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 8:06:16 AM
At 6/30/2009 7:14:01 AM, sherlockmethod wrote:
I used to read fantasy genre books all the time, but started finding too much of the same thing. I loved Wheel of Time and Lord of the Rings, though. If the book is more along those lines than something like the Goodkind,'s SoT novels, I will pick it up.

Phillip K Dick?

Matt16:15 "But Who do you say that I am?"
The Cross.. the Cross.
JustCallMeTarzan
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/30/2009 8:48:17 AM

Mmm... The synopsis from her site:

Abramm Kalladorne has dedicated the last eight years of his life to becoming worthy to touch and tend the Sacred Flames of Eidon, and he expects to be blessed for his devotion and sacrifice. But on the eve of taking the vows that will irrevocably separate him from the life he was born to—as fifth son of the king of Kiriath—he is betrayed by his spiritual mentor and sold into slavery by his brothers Swept along by the winds of a new destiny, Abramm is forced to compete in the gladiatorial games of his new masters. When the oppressed masses rally around his successes, he discovers his suffering has molded him into something greater than he ever thought possible—to serve a purpose he never imagined.

Four years after his legend-spawning defeat of Beltha'adi, Abramm returns to Kiriath to claim the crown he thought he would never wear and prepare his people for the inevitable attack of the resurrected Armies of the Black Moon. Though fiercely opposed by his own kin and reluctant to cast Kiriath into civil war at the worst possible time, he nevertheless believes this is the destiny Eidon has laid upon his life. And Kiriath's only hope of salvation. In the midst of this turmoil a headstrong princess from a neighboring realm endeavors to uncover Abramm's secrets—including his heroic exploits as the White Pretender and the fact that he wears a golden shield upon his chest. Is she friend or foe, and will her interference bring Abramm closer to his destiny or destroy any chance he has of maintaining his rightful place as King?

After months of conflict and opposition, Abramm Kalladorne has finally stepped into his destiny as king of Kiriath--only to find himself with more problems than ever. The Mataio remains antagonistic, the failed rebellion's supporters have slipped through his grasp to plot anew, bad luck plagues his every attempt to build Kiriath's defenses...and that's just the beginning. As the forces of the Black Moon advance toward Kiriathan shores, Abramm agrees to a desperately needed alliance-by-marriage with neighboring Chesedh. But with the hour for his union approaching, he is horrified to discover that he has become dangerously attracted to his fiancée's younger sister, the headstrong Lady Madeleine.Worse, he learns his attraction is reciprocated--just the sort of situation his enemies can use to destroy everything he's trying to accomplish. And Eidon just might let them succeed. Treachery and faithfulness, guilt and forgiveness, the joy of desires fulfilled and the pain of tragic loss all weave the tapestry of one man's destiny realized--where mind-boggling blessings come wrapped in a mantle of suffering that will test Abramm's faith to the limit and challenge everything he thinks he knows about himself and the one who owns his soul.

Believed dead by all but the handful of supporters who rescued him from his Mataian enemies, Abramm Kalladorne has fled his homeland to the high mountains of northern Chesedh. Traveling under a new name with a group of bitter and increasingly desperate fellow exiles, Abramm hopes to reunite with his wife in Chesedh, where he will offer his services to her father in fighting the invading armies of the Black Moon. But with every step he is hindered, delayed and diverted from the direction he desires to go, and it soon becomes clear Eidon has other plans for him. In the Royal city of Fannath Rill, Maddie alone believes Abramm still lives. But since she has no proof, her friends, family and public opinion press her to remarry. With its neighboring realms now under enemy control, Chesedh has become the last bastion of Eidon's Light. Desperately overmatched, it cannot survive on its own. And the rich, handsome, eastern warlord who is openly courting Maddie has a vast fleet of galley ships that could turn the tide in Chesedh's favor…
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
7/1/2009 6:53:34 AM
At 6/30/2009 8:48:17 AM, JustCallMeTarzan wrote:

Mmm... The synopsis from her site:

Abramm Kalladorne has dedicated the last eight years of his life to becoming worthy to touch and tend the Sacred Flames of Eidon, and he expects to be blessed for his devotion and sacrifice. But on the eve of taking the vows that will irrevocably separate him from the life he was born to—as fifth son of the king of Kiriath—he is betrayed by his spiritual mentor and sold into slavery by his brothers Swept along by the winds of a new destiny, Abramm is forced to compete in the gladiatorial games of his new masters. When the oppressed masses rally around his successes, he discovers his suffering has molded him into something greater than he ever thought possible—to serve a purpose he never imagined.

Four years after his legend-spawning defeat of Beltha'adi, Abramm returns to Kiriath to claim the crown he thought he would never wear and prepare his people for the inevitable attack of the resurrected Armies of the Black Moon. Though fiercely opposed by his own kin and reluctant to cast Kiriath into civil war at the worst possible time, he nevertheless believes this is the destiny Eidon has laid upon his life. And Kiriath's only hope of salvation. In the midst of this turmoil a headstrong princess from a neighboring realm endeavors to uncover Abramm's secrets—including his heroic exploits as the White Pretender and the fact that he wears a golden shield upon his chest. Is she friend or foe, and will her interference bring Abramm closer to his destiny or destroy any chance he has of maintaining his rightful place as King?

After months of conflict and opposition, Abramm Kalladorne has finally stepped into his destiny as king of Kiriath--only to find himself with more problems than ever. The Mataio remains antagonistic, the failed rebellion's supporters have slipped through his grasp to plot anew, bad luck plagues his every attempt to build Kiriath's defenses...and that's just the beginning. As the forces of the Black Moon advance toward Kiriathan shores, Abramm agrees to a desperately needed alliance-by-marriage with neighboring Chesedh. But with the hour for his union approaching, he is horrified to discover that he has become dangerously attracted to his fiancée's younger sister, the headstrong Lady Madeleine.Worse, he learns his attraction is reciprocated--just the sort of situation his enemies can use to destroy everything he's trying to accomplish. And Eidon just might let them succeed. Treachery and faithfulness, guilt and forgiveness, the joy of desires fulfilled and the pain of tragic loss all weave the tapestry of one man's destiny realized--where mind-boggling blessings come wrapped in a mantle of suffering that will test Abramm's faith to the limit and challenge everything he thinks he knows about himself and the one who owns his soul.

Believed dead by all but the handful of supporters who rescued him from his Mataian enemies, Abramm Kalladorne has fled his homeland to the high mountains of northern Chesedh. Traveling under a new name with a group of bitter and increasingly desperate fellow exiles, Abramm hopes to reunite with his wife in Chesedh, where he will offer his services to her father in fighting the invading armies of the Black Moon. But with every step he is hindered, delayed and diverted from the direction he desires to go, and it soon becomes clear Eidon has other plans for him. In the Royal city of Fannath Rill, Maddie alone believes Abramm still lives. But since she has no proof, her friends, family and public opinion press her to remarry. With its neighboring realms now under enemy control, Chesedh has become the last bastion of Eidon's Light. Desperately overmatched, it cannot survive on its own. And the rich, handsome, eastern warlord who is openly courting Maddie has a vast fleet of galley ships that could turn the tide in Chesedh's favor…

*DATCMOTO fails to rush out and buy a copy*

Matthew 10:34 (New King James Version)

Christ Brings Division

34 "Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword.
The Cross.. the Cross.