Jump to topic:

Lovers of the Truth

s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:21:30 PM
Posted: 4 years ago
In an article, posted in Yahoo! News, it's reported investigators discovered that which they believed to be the tomb of Jesus. According to the article, they had to use a robotic arm, to continue exploring the archaeological site; because, protest from religious groups forced the government to shut the excavation down and build a house over it.

The very idea of science discovering the tomb of Christ so enraged Christians they had to cover it up before it ever saw the light of day.

It makes you wonder. If Christians are so sure of the resurrection of Christ, why do they fear this excavation? Yet, if they're not, why do they fear the truth?
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:33:45 PM
At 2/28/2012 11:21:30 PM, s-anthony wrote:
In an article, posted in Yahoo! News, it's reported investigators discovered that which they believed to be the tomb of Jesus. According to the article, they had to use a robotic arm, to continue exploring the archaeological site; because, protest from religious groups forced the government to shut the excavation down and build a house over it.

The very idea of science discovering the tomb of Christ so enraged Christians they had to cover it up before it ever saw the light of day.

It makes you wonder. If Christians are so sure of the resurrection of Christ, why do they fear this excavation? Yet, if they're not, why do they fear the truth?

Link please
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
popculturepooka
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/28/2012 11:50:51 PM
If I had to hazard an uninformed guess (considering I have no idea what you are talking about) religious outrage probably has more to do with the idea of "desecrating a holy site" than fear of scientific discovery.
At 10/3/2016 11:49:13 PM, thett3 wrote:
BLACK LIVES MATTER!
johnnyboy54
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 12:42:46 AM
At 2/28/2012 11:50:51 PM, popculturepooka wrote:
If I had to hazard an uninformed guess (considering I have no idea what you are talking about) religious outrage probably has more to do with the idea of "desecrating a holy site" than fear of scientific discovery.

Yep
I didn't order assholes with my whiskey.
The_Fool_on_the_hill
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 4:47:03 AM

The Fool: If you have no idea then why are you responding. The religious are outranged my homosexuals. It doesnt really take much for religious out range.

But I completly agree his story sounds confabulated. For how could it possiblly be mythical Jesus, wasn't he is just put in a cave with a boulder blocking the enterence. Didn't people already open his grave to see that his body wasn't there and they also seen him(who? who knows) floating in the sky, upward to the orginal Christian heaven, before we didn't know anything about the sky and space. I thought that had to do with easter bunnies chocolate. no?

Ethier religious person has made a retarded claim, or the scientist are retarded , or its a poster is retarded. But one thing sure somebody is retarded!! or else I am retarded. But I will still be right.
"The bud disappears when the blossom breaks through, and we might say that the former is refuted by the latter; in the same way when the fruit comes, the blossom may be explained to be a false form of the plant's existence, for the fruit appears as its true nature in place of the blossom. These stages are not merely differentiated; they supplant one another as being incompatible with one another." G. W. F. HEGEL
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 6:35:20 AM

No one fears it.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 7:25:41 AM

This is not new. There have been numorous occasions in which its been claimed or though a site was the tomb of Christ. How would they know it was authentic? It's happened before. Jesus was not an uncommon name to my knowledge and there have been found several different 'tombs' bearing the name. Also, Jesus was buried in a tomb.... finding the tomb would mean nothing and if remains were found how could the possibly link it to be the Jesus Christians believe in?
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 11:09:26 AM
The article is incredibly misleading, like a tabloid title.
I challenge you to take a walk through the local cemetery and count the headstones with Christian markings.

So what, they found an inscription that looks like a reference to Jonah and means" raise up".

What about this?
http://headstonesandmemorials.com...
Um....You've got a log in your eye.
"I would be suspicious of an argument without any concessions." - John Dickson
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 11:17:42 AM
I like #33. It's almost like an english version of the tomb inscription.
joneszj
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 12:35:20 PM
At 2/29/2012 11:09:26 AM, GenesisCreation wrote:
I challenge you to take a walk through the local cemetery and count the headstones with Christian markings.

So what, they found an inscription that looks like a reference to Jonah and means" raise up".

What about this?

Yay! Another reformed brother! Welcome to DDO!
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:19:05 PM
I think most of you have completely missed the meaning of this discussion. The question is not whether this tomb holds the body of Christ. Anyone with half a brain realizes science could never verify the identity of the man in the ossuary.

Yet, it amazes me, how ready the religious community is to squelch anything that may even remotely suggest something other than that which it says to be true.

I believe most of you are making this about the identity of the man as a diversion.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:25:44 PM

Could be, but even so should we not still take it out and examine it? Also taking it out would allow us to preserve it better.
rogue
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:27:28 PM
At 2/29/2012 11:09:26 AM, GenesisCreation wrote:

What about this?

Even though I am an atheist, I have to agree with this....
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:29:58 PM
At 2/29/2012 9:19:05 PM, s-anthony wrote:
I think most of you have completely missed the meaning of this discussion. The question is not whether this tomb holds the body of Christ. Anyone with half a brain realizes science could never verify the identity of the man in the ossuary.

Yet, it amazes me, how ready the religious community is to squelch anything that may even remotely suggest something other than that which it says to be true.

I believe most of you are making this about the identity of the man as a diversion.

We have said why we think they don't want it opened is simply because, well, its a major desecration if it is his burial spot.
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
s-anthony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:48:43 PM
At 2/29/2012 9:29:58 PM, OberHerr wrote:
We have said why we think they don't want it opened is simply because, well, its a major desecration if it is his burial spot.

This is not even a plausible rebuttal. Christians don't believe this is his ossuary; because, they say he was resurrected. I'm sure you've heard, that, Christianity hinges on the empty tomb . If, in fact, they thought it was the tomb of Christ and the resurrection was a big lie, they wouldn't sanctify the site; they would most assuredly desecrate it.
logicrules
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
2/29/2012 9:54:27 PM
At 2/29/2012 9:48:43 PM, s-anthony wrote:

This is not even a plausible rebuttal. Christians don't believe this is his ossuary; because, they say he was resurrected. I'm sure you've heard, that, Christianity hinges on the empty tomb . If, in fact, they thought it was the tomb of Christ and the resurrection was a big lie, they wouldn't sanctify the site; they would most assuredly desecrate it.

yea go for it. How ya gonna establish it is Jesus of Nazareth son of Joseph, birth records of Nazareth?
It is a fools exercise designed for religious persecution, in the politically correct age..
GenesisCreation
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 7:36:14 AM
"It is a fool's exercise designed for religious persecution, in the politically correct age.."

Bam! Truth bomb. Nice rebuttal.
OberHerr
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
3/1/2012 9:00:37 AM
At 2/29/2012 9:48:43 PM, s-anthony wrote:

What Logicrules said, and the fact that, yes, it does hinge on an empty tomb, so, what would happen if they found a body?

Well, then Atheists would all go,"In your face!" and use it as a evidence, ect.

But the problem is, how the heck can you prove that its Jesus?

I mean, whats the point? How will we ever know if its Jesus's tomb, if we can never do a test for DNA, or anything?
-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-OBERHERR'S SIGNATURE-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Official Enforcer for the DDO Elite(if they existed).

"Cases are anti-town." - FourTrouble

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-