Jump to topic:

... I guess I was wrong....

Im_always_right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 7:33:45 PM
Posted: 7 years ago
I was really wrong for so long, that I didn't notice until several people showed me the right way of thinking. Most of the people are from this website, and you know who you are. Thanks.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 7:35:18 PM
At 6/22/2009 7:33:45 PM, Im_always_right wrote:
I was really wrong for so long, that I didn't notice until several people showed me the right way of thinking. Most of the people are from this website, and you know who you are. Thanks.

Not sure what you're talking about, but I'm glad you learned something? Time to change the screen name, I guess XD?
: At 5/2/2010 2:43:54 PM, innomen wrote:
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 7:56:34 PM

You agree with me 95%! You're only 5% wrong! ^.^
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
Rezzealaux
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 8:18:07 PM
Congratulations, on whatever it was then :D
: If you weren't new here, you'd know not to feed me such attention. This is like an orgasm in my brain right now. *hehe, my name is in a title, hehe* (http://www.debate.org...)

Just in case I get into some BS with FREEDO again about how he's NOT a narcissist.

"The law is there to destroy evil under the constitutional government."
So... what's there to destroy evil inside of and above the constitutional government?
Im_always_right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 9:12:10 PM
At 6/22/2009 7:35:18 PM, Kleptin wrote:

Not sure what you're talking about, but I'm glad you learned something? Time to change the screen name, I guess XD?

About Christianity being wrong.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 10:35:43 PM
At 6/22/2009 9:12:10 PM, Im_always_right wrote:

Not only is it 'not wrong'.. it is the only right.. anywhere.

Matthew 12:30 (The Message)

30"This is war, and there is no neutral ground. If you're not on my side, you're the enemy; if you're not helping, you're making things worse.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Volkov
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/22/2009 10:54:57 PM

You'll have to elaborate more than that. What exactly did you find wrong before that is now right?
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 12:14:14 AM

... I see you've chosen Atheist. If that means you've chosen reason over rote memorized belief, very good for you! Just remember though that reason requires devotion to the truth, however unpleasant it may be. When the time comes to make the hard decisions, without faith you will have reason alone, and reason doesn't always lead to comfort.

Fair warning from one who left his own faith behind. Good luck. :)
http://mastersofcreationrpg.com... - My new site and long-developed project. Should be fun.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 12:18:14 AM
At 6/23/2009 12:14:14 AM, Lexicaholic wrote:

... I see you've chosen Atheist. If that means you've chosen reason over rote memorized belief, very good for you! Just remember though that reason requires devotion to the truth, however unpleasant it may be. When the time comes to make the hard decisions, without faith you will have reason alone, and reason doesn't always lead to comfort.

That kinda reminded me of a good quote, which I, for some reason, want to post:

"You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to get you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the street, I know you look both ways."

- Dr. Greg House.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 12:34:47 AM
At 6/23/2009 12:18:14 AM, patsox834 wrote:

"You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to get you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the street, I know you look both ways."

- Dr. Greg House.

Hardly worthy of comment BUT:

God (as any good and loving Father does) wants His children to be as independent of Him as possible.. whilst being Spiritually (truthfully) connected to Him at our core.

Proverbs 14:14 (New International Version)

14 The faithless will be fully repaid for their ways,
and the good man rewarded for his.
The Cross.. the Cross.
patsox834
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 12:41:47 AM
At 6/23/2009 12:34:47 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:
At 6/23/2009 12:18:14 AM, patsox834 wrote:

- Dr. Greg House.

God (as any good and loving Father does) wants His children to be as independent of Him as possible.. whilst being Spiritually (truthfully) connected to Him at our core.

Ah, thanks for your amazingly insightful input, ooh wise one.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 11:27:37 AM
At 6/23/2009 12:41:47 AM, patsox834 wrote:

- Dr. Greg House.

Ah, thanks for your amazingly insightful input, ooh wise one.

I believe you mean 'Oh wise one' not 'ooh'.

2 Peter 3:3
knowing this first: that scoffers will come in the last days, walking according to their own lusts,
The Cross.. the Cross.
Im_always_right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 1:03:06 PM
That is one main problem I have with Christianity "It's the ONLY right!" "You can't learn or your going to Hell!" and all this calling all other forms of Christianity wrong.
Personally if it WERE true all churches would be wrong.

Get over yourselves.

And Dat, your just annoying.
Im_always_right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 1:04:42 PM

Yeah I've always believed in truth. I changed when when asking for the truth about something (I can't remember WHAT now) I was told it was a sin to find out.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 2:05:30 PM
At 6/23/2009 1:04:42 PM, Im_always_right wrote:

Yeah I've always believed in truth. I changed when when asking for the truth about something (I can't remember WHAT now) I was told it was a sin to find out.

You were told wrong. People who don't know enough about the belief system they are actually adhering to be precise. So far, it seems your problem was the Christians moreso than Christianity itself.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 6:02:58 PM

Yeah. My doubts came when my religious instructors were waxing romantic about the medieval era and waning into despondence over the Renaissance. They actually said (I still remember to this day):
1. The medieval period was a wonderful time when God was closer to people's hearts and minds
2. The Renaissance was an era when people lost sight of God and reveled in hedonism

Seriously. They said this, and meant it.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 6:05:48 PM
At 6/23/2009 2:05:30 PM, Logical-Master wrote:

You were told wrong. People who don't know enough about the belief system they are actually adhering to be precise. So far, it seems your problem was the Christians moreso than Christianity itself.

Actually, if you don't mind me asking L-M, what type of Christian are you? (You can send a message if you rather wouldn't say on the board)
Im_always_right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 6:26:21 PM

Oh no that was just why I decided to seriously doubt christianity.
Looking deeper I found
A) It makes about as much sense as any other fairy-tale
B) I never really believed in a god, but just really said I did because my parents told me to
C) They keep changing it to go with what they want. Example, it was written in a sexist time. God is really sexist. Now (most) say sexism is wrong.

and several other little things I can't even remember right now.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 7:33:39 PM
It seems that once people realize that the Bible is open to literary analysis as much as any other work of fiction that illustrates customs and society through symbols and stories, they start moving away from Christianity.
It isn't about finding a theory, philosophy or doctrine and thinking it's the answer, but a practical application of one's experiences that is the answer.

: At 10/28/2010 2:40:07 PM, jharry wrote: I have already been given the greatest Gift that anyone could ever hope for [Life], I would consider myself selfish if I expected anything more.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 7:39:17 PM
At 6/23/2009 7:33:39 PM, Kleptin wrote:
It seems that once people realize that the Bible is open to literary analysis as much as any other work of fiction that illustrates customs and society through symbols and stories, they start moving away from Christianity.

Actually, that wasn't enough for me. I needed value dissonance. After that, I started looking at comparative theology.
Logical-Master
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/23/2009 11:55:06 PM
At 6/23/2009 6:05:48 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:

Actually, if you don't mind me asking L-M, what type of Christian are you? (You can send a message if you rather wouldn't say on the board)

Heh heh. I'm not too sure. :D

What do you mean by "type?"
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2009 12:50:11 AM
At 6/23/2009 11:55:06 PM, Logical-Master wrote:
At 6/23/2009 6:05:48 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:

Heh heh. I'm not too sure. :D

What do you mean by "type?"

lol XD I meant sect or denomination. Sorry for the confusion. You can feel free to include demeanor and personal deviation as well! :)
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2009 7:05:05 AM
At 6/23/2009 1:03:06 PM, Im_always_right wrote:
That is one main problem I have with Christianity "It's the ONLY right!" "You can't learn or your going to Hell!" and all this calling all other forms of Christianity wrong.

"Personally if it WERE true all churches would be wrong."

Care to elaborate?

Get over yourselves.

The truth is always annoying to those who don't have it:

1 Corinthians 1:18 (New King James Version)

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
The Cross.. the Cross.
Im_always_right
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2009 1:55:13 PM
At 6/24/2009 7:05:05 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Get over yourselves.

18 For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

No church goes by exactly what the bible says. Whether for better or for worse they don't do "God's word" therefore they are wrong by their own standards.

"The truth is always annoying to those who don't have it:"

Is that why you are annoyed at atheists?
AnimeFanTony
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2009 4:04:22 PM
Ok to Lex and imalwaysright I kinda get wre you guys are coming from though I would say you just have been dealing with ignorant moronic Christians such as DAT. For the record there can be intelligent Christians who also look for the 'truth'. LM is a great example of this. An intelligent logical person who is also a Christian. So just because a a large percentage of Christians happen to be like DAT doesn't mean we all are.
Ownership of this account has been transferred from JCMT to I-am-a-panda.
Updates of the next JCMT puppet account pending.
Lexicaholic
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2009 4:32:08 PM
At 6/24/2009 4:04:22 PM, AnimeFanTony wrote:
Ok to Lex and imalwaysright I kinda get wre you guys are coming from though I would say you just have been dealing with ignorant moronic Christians such as DAT. For the record there can be intelligent Christians who also look for the 'truth'. LM is a great example of this. An intelligent logical person who is also a Christian. So just because a a large percentage of Christians happen to be like DAT doesn't mean we all are.

I actually don't mind DAT so much. True believers and decent human beings who just happen to believe don't irritate me. It's the ones that don't believe but would like to manipulate you into believing for their convenience that worry me.
DATCMOTO
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/24/2009 9:46:25 PM
At 6/24/2009 1:55:13 PM, Im_always_right wrote:
At 6/24/2009 7:05:05 AM, DATCMOTO wrote:

Care to elaborate?

Get over yourselves.

No church goes by exactly what the bible says. Whether for better or for worse they don't do "God's word" therefore they are wrong by their own standards.

But that doesn't make them wrong, just imperfect.
It's a universal principle that only by aiming at the target (no matter how many times we miss) will we even get close to the mark. (think sports)

"The truth is always annoying to those who don't have it:"

Is that why you are annoyed at atheists?

I don't get annoyed and atheists only have lies.
So this statement is.. another lie!

Matthew 12:30 (The Message)

30"This is war, and there is no neutral ground. If you're not on my side, you're the enemy; if you're not helping, you're making things worse.

The Cross.. the Cross.
Kleptin
Add as Friend
Challenge to a Debate
Send a Message
6/25/2009 6:03:20 AM
At 6/24/2009 4:32:08 PM, Lexicaholic wrote:
At 6/24/2009 4:04:22 PM, AnimeFanTony wrote:

I actually don't mind DAT so much. True believers and decent human beings who just happen to believe don't irritate me. It's the ones that don't believe but would like to manipulate you into believing for their convenience that worry me.

That's irrelevant for me. I have huge problems with DATCMOTO that have absolutely nothing to do with his beliefs.